Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Have I outlived my usefulness?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Have I outlived my usefulness? roughridercog
I was watching one of my favorite Star Trek movie and Spock turns to Kirk and says, "Have we lived so long that we have outlived our usefulness?"

I didn't hear much from the rest of the movie. The very question reverberated throughout my heart. I began to consider ministry and where I am. I examined the ministry of many large churches and honestly, it just isn't me.
Please don't crucify an old minister. I'm just pouring out my heart. I'm not attacking or criticizing any church or ministry. I'm just doing some soul searching.

I visit other churches and I see things that I just can't get into. Young people getting up in front and dancing, drama teams, etc. I know people enjoy it and I'm sure it gets kids involved, but honestly, to me it looks like a show of flesh.

Our platforms are multicolored light shows with some even with smoke machines. When the speaker makes a point, the color change is quite orchestrated. I recognize smooth Madison Avenue presentation, but deep inside, I can't stand it.

Our music has come to the point where we often leave the worship to the "professionals" and the atmosphere is more like a concert than a worship service. I endeavor to learn the words to songs I don't know, try to sing in keys best suited for someone who hasn't gone through puberty, raise my hand and praise God while feeling totally out of place.

I read church growth books, publications, and articles. They list tool after tool such as these that just leave me cold.

I realize now that I'm part of a huge section of the ministry of the Church of God.

Have we lived so long that we've outlived our usefulness?

Just musing. Please don't stone me for just sharing my musings.

Last edited by roughridercog on 7/1/16 5:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Acts Mod
6/24/16 11:57 am

Post c6thplayer1
Rough , I know exactly how you feel. I went through the very same. I found that peace in a smaller church where worship service is more what I'm used to with no lights or drama Just simple worship.

It has its drawbacks to that I have learned to overlook. Very poor music team , simple pastor and few kids. But then I realized , I'm not here for my entertainment but for worship , learning and teaching. God put me here for a reason and thats good enough for me.

I dont know if the Drama churches are right or not but I do know that they can trap and cause some people to lose focus on your objective. It happened to me.

So here I am at a small church doing what the Lord has called me to do and I'll stay till I'm called elsewhere.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/24/16 12:13 pm

Post Well Rough brotherjames
I posted this a couple of weeks ago - it's even worse than you think

Quote:
What has happened to the church? (lengthy diatribe) brotherjames
In another thread Eddie posted a link to a church culture evaluation blog and it links to apps and programs you can subscribe to (another money maker for somebody) and implement in your church to see it grow and minister to families in small groups. All worthy things, I guess especially if you're not especially creative. I am NOT old fashioned, I have a very YOUNG church (see Marty Baker's thread) but a young numerical age but mature seekers after the Presence and Anointing of God.

We can disagree about some of what I believe re doctrine but I am overtly Pentecostal/Charismatic and ardently desire the move of God in our church. We are contemporary in our music, worship, design et al but we are more like Azusa St than North Pointe.

But here is my concern/complaint - the church for the most part has no anointing – so we substitute
counseling instead of deliverance
Programs instead of power
songs instead of worship
Lies instead of truth
platitudes instead of the word
Gimmicks instead of evangelism
comfort instead passion
Tv and apps instead of prayer
another book instead of personal revelation
Technique instead of the anointing,
and the latest church growth seminar instead of the Holy Spirit

and then we wonder why lives are not changed, families are still being destroyed, marriages are failing, disease is still rampant, and we look like and act like the rest of the world! And we wonder why no one wants what we have – because they already have it and it’s not bringing them any peace or hope!

We are building the house of God with cheap materials because the better costs more than we’re willing to pay, so we settle for the good because it is cheaper or free.

When we no longer expect the miracle working power of a supernatural God to intervene in our lives or churches; when there no longer is any room for the sovereign move of God's Spirit in our lives or in his church, when we begin to have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof, when we're only paying lip service to power of the Spirit, (and good well-meaning churches, pastors and people go thru these phases) we need to recognize this cancer and cut it out!

If we grow complacent to the move of God's Spirit, or if we have become resistant to it and not desirous of it, if we have no hunger for the things of God but are merely going along, soon the church will be filled with people just like us, people who know nothing and expect nothing of the power of God.

There is a remedy. Paul had to remind Timothy to stir up the Gifts lying dormant in his being. We must raise the level of faith in ourselves and our church. If the bible study is boring and wed. night meetings seem draggy, maybe it's you that's draggy. God never called his ministers to be cheerleaders, Heb. 1:7 he called them to be flames of fire!!! Maybe we need to get pilot lights re-lit! We need to get alone with God and repent of where we are and seek a fresh anointing and God will give it to us! If we’re satisfied with where we are, shame on us! If we have to rely on mouthing someone else's program or revelation, shame on us!

Mk. 9:22 says if you can believe, all things are possible. Let dryness and deadness, doubt and deviousness (sin) be done away with today, let them be replaced with faith, holiness and the fire of the anointing of the Holy Ghost! Jesus has anointed you with the Holy Ghost and Power and sent you to preach the word in His power, to heal the sick, to raise the dead, to cause the blind to see, the deaf to hear, Jesus Christ is still the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. O Lord send the power just now to re-anoint, to kick out deadness, to fight the fight of faith, to live in holiness instead of sin, Lord, rekindle the fire of the Holy Ghost to see the New Testament church arise and go forth in the power of the Spirit, once again. Revive us o God!!

The anointing is the Holy Spirit of God. It is NOT some new website. We need Him to change our lives, to maintain faith in difficult times and to proclaim Jesus as Saviour, healer, and Lord to a world that is desperate to not just hear pretty words but to see a demonstration of the power of God, now!

I have taken those other classes, I am a qualified coach to church planters but we labor in vain if it is WE who are trying to build His house.

Sorry for the rant but it is really getting to me these days. What has happened to the Pentecostal Church?
Acts-celerater
6/24/16 12:20 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Roughrider,

Let me simply say, no, you have definitely not outlived your usefulness! Real ministry has nothing to do with hipness or 'contemporary' style. It's all about doing what GOD has called and equipped you to do. All that matters is whether or not you are obedient to the Father's will for your life.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/24/16 1:22 pm

Post diakoneo
Rough, I am 53 and have seriously considered retiring from pastoral work for all the reasons you posted.

I know that may sound extreme, but the reality is that the pressure to "perform" in a way that is not me...It feels like I am between a rock and a hard place. I feel like I need to get out of the way and let someone who can "grow" a rural church have the rein.

But God called me here though and I will continue until He is through with me here.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/24/16 1:22 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
You boys ease on over to Pikeville. It aint over here. I can use a couple of associates an we'll git this thing in high gear. Acts-pert Poster
6/24/16 2:02 pm

Post roughridercog
diakoneo wrote:
Rough, I am 53 and have seriously considered retiring from pastoral work for all the reasons you posted.

I know that may sound extreme, but the reality is that the pressure to "perform" in a way that is not me...It feels like I am between a rock and a hard place. I feel like I need to get out of the way and let someone who can "grow" a rural church have the rein.

But God called me here though and I will continue until He is through with me here.

I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one who felt this.
6/24/16 2:10 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
You boys ease on over to Pikeville. It aint over here. I can use a couple of associates an we'll git this thing in high gear.

Could you stand a little texas swing on amazing grace ? Cool
6/24/16 2:28 pm

Post Cojak
I guess I could say I have 'no dog in this fight', but I would be lying. There are so many wonderful ministers, some even great, who are pastoring 'the church that will not grow'. They are blessed with the satisfaction of God's hand that has guided their lives over the years. But then something whispers in their ear, Bro XYZ is doing 'zzxty' and everyone is praising him to high heavens. Then Bro. Goodguy begins to feel like he has out-lived his usefulness. BALONEY!

Look around at the people who depend on you, respect and call you friend and pastor. If it is 10 or 1000 when you are doing what is right and honorable, YOU ARE USEFUL.

I remember a guy who once told me about a small church in Florida that should be closed. The preacher is ancient and the congregation is too. Since I knew the situation I told him, "The church will never grow, they have closed the Citrus plants, the jobs are gone, but someone needs to comfort and bury the saints who labored, taught, won souls and blessed their world when it was GOING. That pastor has not outlived is usefulness.

Now to us who sit on the pew, we too feel at times that we have outlived our usefulness. We cannot work, our tithes are half what they were. We cannot see to drive to church at night and if we want to, can feel completely useless.

This post is a VERY IMPORTANT post. I was only in service with RR one time, but I knew without a shadow of a doubt those folks love him. Rough, you will never know how many times I have related that morning (SS class?) in the basement, as you led a sort of round table discussion. I have never set-in a more inspiring morning.

We have too many good men who fall into the trap of listening to the voice on shoulder urging comparisons........

Love you guys who give your heart and lives for us who sit in the pews and we may forget to say, "Thank you for being YOU!" but we do think it. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/24/16 2:37 pm

Post diakoneo
Cojak wrote:
I guess I could say I have 'no dog in this fight', but I would be lying. There are so many wonderful ministers, some even great, who are pastoring 'the church that will not grow'. They are blessed with the satisfaction of God's hand that has guided their lives over the years. But then something whispers in their ear, Bro XYZ is doing 'zzxty' and everyone is praising him to high heavens. Then Bro. Goodguy begins to feel like he has out-lived his usefulness. BALONEY!

Look around at the people who depend on you, respect and call you friend and pastor. If it is 10 or 1000 when you are doing what is right and honorable, YOU ARE USEFUL.

I remember a guy who once told me about a small church in Florida that should be closed. The preacher is ancient and the congregation is too. Since I knew the situation I told him, "The church will never grow, they have closed the Citrus plants, the jobs are gone, but someone needs to comfort and bury the saints who labored, taught, won souls and blessed their world when it was GOING. That pastor has not outlived is usefulness.

Now to us who sit on the pew, we too feel at times that we have outlived our usefulness. We cannot work, our tithes are half what they were. We cannot see to drive to church at night and if we want to, can feel completely useless.

This post is a VERY IMPORTANT post. I was only in service with RR one time, but I knew without a shadow of a doubt those folks love him. Rough, you will never know how many times I have related that morning (SS class?) in the basement, as you led a sort of round table discussion. I have never set-in a more inspiring morning.

We have too many good men who fall into the trap of listening to the voice on shoulder urging comparisons........

Love you guys who give your heart and lives for us who sit in the pews and we may forget to say, "Thank you for being YOU!" but we do think it. Cool

Thumb Up Thumb Up

Good word! Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/24/16 4:09 pm

Post georgiapath
Cojak wrote:

Good Post
Acts-dicted
6/24/16 9:21 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
No, you haven't outlived your usefulness, Rough.

This is why we have so many different churches in so many different places. Like ice cream, we used to just have strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. Now we have Rocky Road, Snickers, birthday cake flavors and the list goes on and on...Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone is into the hype and glitz. And because you're doing it differently doesn't mean it's wrong or not hip enough.

My sister has not truly walked with the Lord in many years. She grew up (in the same church as me) that was classic Pentecostal. She likes churches that sing from the Red Back and use live music. The church I attend is pretty old school in a lot of ways, but we also use a blend of contemporary praise/worship, Southern Gospel, and black gospel as well as hymns. And we don't have a band so we use sound tracks. My church would never appeal to my sister. But that doesn't mean what we're doing is wrong. It's what works for us. And it blesses our people.

The style of worship and ministry that you are comfortable with relates to who you are as a person and who you are in Christ. The people who come to your church enjoy those things too, or they wouldn't be there. If your worship and ministry is sincere and touches the heart of God, don't worry about what the big churches or other churches are doing. Please the Father and everything else will fall into place.
6/25/16 1:05 pm

Post Re: Have I outlived my usefulness? Methocostal
Rough, first don't be so "rough" on yourself!

I've had the "pleasure" of attending several large churches while living in different areas of the country. Believe me, they aren't all they are cooked up to be. I do NOT get the obsession with having a mega Church. A mega Church is Ok if it is done through "real" growth and not merely transfers from other congregations. Even then, after the conversion, I seriously doubt the ability of mega churches to truly minister other than the mass spectacle manner in which it is now. Theoritically, I guess they could function OK, but I have never seen it work, unless the goal is impressive light shows, professional singers, slick productions, etc.

The issue to "bloom where you are planted". Ministers can be far more effective pastoring a small church if they are truly ministering to the needs of the congregation. Growth by transfers is an illusion. The kingdom as a whole has not grown.

If pastors would spend more time on their knees and by fasting, they can be much further ahead than by reading the latest and greatest fad from a text or by attending a church growth seminar. A real move of God will result in growth, either spiritually by the members or by conversions of the lost.

I have earned the well earned reputation of being the world's worst fisherman. I once bought a book on fishing and my neighbor from Montana had a huge laugh. He said, "the problem is the fish don't read those books!"

The problem with the latest Church growth buzzword and reading the latest Church growth book is that (1) God doesn't read those books and (2) sinners don't read those books.

When Jesus cast out the demon's, he didn't say it came about by reading the latest book or attending the best seminar, he said "this comes forth by prayer and fasting" (I know I misquoted somewhat).

I'm not a preacher, but I am the son and brother of pastors. Although a layperson, I probably know far more about church processes than most laypersons. Unfortanately, I may know more about Church growth than some pastors.

Although not a pastor, I have "ministered" through nursing home music minstery and as a small group leader. The Church small group that I led grew from 4 to almost 40 in one year and we had to divide it. The pastor said my wife and I were the best small group leaders he had ever known. The secret? We made people feel welcome and loved. My proudest moment came when the husband of a member who refused to go to church started going to our meetings after we held it in his home and he was eventually saved. While this is certainly different than actually pastoring, some concepts apply.

My problem with mega churches is it is almost impossible to maintain a personal touch and people get lost in the crowd. If cell groups were truly functioning, I guess it could work.

Don't be discouraged by not being a mega Church pastor. I don't think God is going to ask if your church grew to be a mega church, rather, did you do your best where you were planted.

If we all acted the same, there would be no need for McDonalds, Wendy's, Five guys, etc as we would all like the same thing. Not all Churches need to be large.

I have no idea on God's purpose of creating Mosquito's, but somehow he saw a purpose to create it with the millons of other creatures. He knew it all worked together in his infinite wisdom. There is a need for the small Church that ministers to people in need.

Somehow, I doubt there were mega churches in the first century and yet they revolutionized the world.

roughridercog wrote:
I was watching one of my favorite Star Trek movie and Spock turns to Kirk and says, "Have we lived so long that we have outlived our usefulness?"

I didn't hear much from the rest of the movie. The very question reverberated throughout my heart. I began to consider ministry and where I am. I examined the ministry of many large churches and honestly, it just isn't me.
Please don't crucify an old minister. I'm just pouring out my heart. I'm not attacking or criticizing any church or ministry. I'm just doing some soul searching.

I visit other churches and I see things that I just can't get into. Young people getting up in front and dancing, drama teams, etc. I know people enjoy it and I'm sure it gets kids involved, but honestly, to me it looks like a show of flesh.

Our platforms are multicolored light shows with some even with smoke machines. When the speaker makes a point, the color change is quite orchestrated. I recognize smooth Madison Avenue presentation, but deep inside, I can't stand it.

Our music has come to the point where we often leave the worship to the "professionals" and the atmosphere is more like a concert than a worship service. I endeavor to learn the words to songs I don't know, try to sing in keys best suited for someone who hasn't gone through puberty, raise my hand and praise God while feeling totally out of place.

I read church growth books, publications, and articles. They list tool after tool such as these that just leave me cold.

I realize now that I'm part of a huge section of the ministry of the Church of God.

Have we lived so long that we've outlived our usefulness?

Just musing. Please don't stone me for just sharing my musings.
Friendly Face
6/27/16 11:35 am

Post Methocostal
Please read my response to rough. "Growth" is not necessarily with numbers!

diakoneo wrote:

Friendly Face
6/27/16 11:39 am

Post Methocostal
Amen!

Carolyn Smith wrote:
No, you haven't outlived your usefulness, Rough.

This is why we have so many different churches in so many different places. Like ice cream, we used to just have strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. Now we have Rocky Road, Snickers, birthday cake flavors and the list goes on and on...Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone is into the hype and glitz. And because you're doing it differently doesn't mean it's wrong or not hip enough.

My sister has not truly walked with the Lord in many years. She grew up (in the same church as me) that was classic Pentecostal. She likes churches that sing from the Red Back and use live music. The church I attend is pretty old school in a lot of ways, but we also use a blend of contemporary praise/worship, Southern Gospel, and black gospel as well as hymns. And we don't have a band so we use sound tracks. My church would never appeal to my sister. But that doesn't mean what we're doing is wrong. It's what works for us. And it blesses our people.

The style of worship and ministry that you are comfortable with relates to who you are as a person and who you are in Christ. The people who come to your church enjoy those things too, or they wouldn't be there. If your worship and ministry is sincere and touches the heart of God, don't worry about what the big churches or other churches are doing. Please the Father and everything else will fall into place.
Friendly Face
6/27/16 11:39 am

Post End of usefulness? Fisher
I really don't know how to respond to the OP. Rough you and I have laughed over many things, but your post struck my heart. I am 64, have Pastored over 40 years. I was at my last church for 15 years. I was then struck down with old brain injuries, and have been disabled since 2009. Due to the fact that my ministry ended so unexpectenty I have truly been grieving the end of it, however, as I watch Churches I don't know if I could Pastor today. So many things have changed over the years. When I was in Bible College we all learned how to do flannel graphs. Now it's all computer generated high quality production. I was birthed into a Pentecostal Church whose greater goal was to get someone to come to repentance, and be filled with the Holy Spirit. My grandfather told my Dad in 1939 that the day was coming when the Cross would no longer thrill the soul. I think we have reached that stage. After my disability and retirement I decided to return to the organization with which I was Ordained following BC and Seminary, the A/G. I like the local A/G pastor, and I feel like I am home. Nothing against the COG, I just feel more at home. It's my roots! I am a New Englander after all.

Rough I fully understand your frustrations. Are we an anacranism, or are we relevant. I don't speak for anyone but myself. My day has passed. Love everybody on this board and appreciate each of you!

Harold Beesley
Formerly 38008.
6/28/16 1:54 am

Post End of usefulness? Fisher
I really don't know how to respond to the OP. Rough you and I have laughed over many things, but your post struck my heart. I am 64, have Pastored over 40 years. I was at my last church for 15 years. I was then struck down with old brain injuries, and have been disabled since 2009. Due to the fact that my ministry ended so unexpectenty I have truly been grieving the end of it, however, as I watch Churches I don't know if I could Pastor today. So many things have changed over the years. When I was in Bible College we all learned how to do flannel graphs. Now it's all computer generated high quality production. I was birthed into a Pentecostal Church whose greater goal was to get someone to come to repentance, and be filled with the Holy Spirit. My grandfather told my Dad in 1939 that the day was coming when the Cross would no longer thrill the soul. I think we have reached that stage. After my disability and retirement I decided to return to the organization with which I was Ordained following BC and Seminary, the A/G. I like the local A/G pastor, and I feel like I am home. Nothing against the COG, I just feel more at home. It's my roots! I am a New Englander after all.

Rough I fully understand your frustrations. Are we an anacranism, or are we relevant. I don't speak for anyone but myself. My day has passed. Love everybody on this board and appreciate each of you!

Harold Beesley
Formerly 38008.
6/28/16 2:38 am

Post I am 44.. wayne
..and personally, I think most of these ideas for growing churches is a bunch of hoooey. Shocked I think half of the people writing them think because it worked for them it should work for everyone else and that's simply not the case. Too many variables in pastoring churches.

There is a place for the larger churches but I have to say, I believe there is more of a place for the small town community church. The larger churches are pulling people away from their communities leaving a void that lead people to find something else(drugs, alcohol, etc). Several communities in my area don't have strong churches because everyone is driving 15 to 20 miles to the big church.

It's funny how people miss these "small" churches. They take comfort in the old hymns and the prayers of Sis/bro old saint who know how to reach heaven. These are the churches and pastors that neighborhood people can get to in a hurry. These are the churches and pastors who lend a helping hand, perform the wedding for free, show up at the ER at 3am, bring food to the family in need...... I could go on. Not saying the bigger churches don't do that but more needs are met when these churches are in neighborhoods.

The Northern Kentucky area could use pastors/ministers like you and so does your area. Follow your heart, do what Christ tells you to do and skip what the "experts" are saying.
Acts Enthusiast
6/28/16 9:02 am

Post Re: I am 44.. Methocostal
I'm encouraged to see a young person who sees the light that big churches isn't meant for everyone.

There seems to be a sense that everyone must have a lightshow, impressive multi media displays, the best rock band, etc.

We are not all the same. Bigger churches should not be the goal. Worshipping Jesus, leading others to Him, and being there for the people that need you should be the goal.

wayne wrote:
..and personally, I think most of these ideas for growing churches is a bunch of hoooey. Shocked I think half of the people writing them think because it worked for them it should work for everyone else and that's simply not the case. Too many variables in pastoring churches.

There is a place for the larger churches but I have to say, I believe there is more of a place for the small town community church. The larger churches are pulling people away from their communities leaving a void that lead people to find something else(drugs, alcohol, etc). Several communities in my area don't have strong churches because everyone is driving 15 to 20 miles to the big church.

It's funny how people miss these "small" churches. They take comfort in the old hymns and the prayers of Sis/bro old saint who know how to reach heaven. These are the churches and pastors that neighborhood people can get to in a hurry. These are the churches and pastors who lend a helping hand, perform the wedding for free, show up at the ER at 3am, bring food to the family in need...... I could go on. Not saying the bigger churches don't do that but more needs are met when these churches are in neighborhoods.

The Northern Kentucky area could use pastors/ministers like you and so does your area. Follow your heart, do what Christ tells you to do and skip what the "experts" are saying.
Friendly Face
6/28/16 10:15 am

Post Re: I am 44.. wayne
Methocostal wrote:
I'm encouraged to see a young person who sees the light that big churches isn't meant for everyone.

There seems to be a sense that everyone must have a lightshow, impressive multi media displays, the best rock band, etc.

We are not all the same. Bigger churches should not be the goal. Worshipping Jesus, leading others to Him, and being there for the people that need you should be the goal.

wayne wrote:

Laughing Laughing Methocostal said I was young Laughing Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
6/28/16 11:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic