Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
@actscelerate Twitter  @actscelerate Facebook  @actscelerate Google+ 

New General Assembly Website: www.ga16elections.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
   Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post New General Assembly Website: www.ga16elections.com MartyBaker
http://www.thinkyounger.org/

Doyle,
Thanks for opening up the conversation about the elections at the General Assembly. We need to "Think Younger." However, it's difficult to introduce younger guys in the conversation unless they have an invitation to preach the summer campmeetings.

If you compare the Church of God Elections to the Presidential Elections, then Campmeeting season is the primaries and General Assembly is the General Election,

Here's my point: How can qualified people like Scott Sheppard or Bill Isaacs or put your choice in the blank ... how do they get in the conversation without stage-time at campmeeting?

Well, the answer is: They don't. Then, the cycle of sameness continues with a few exceptions along the way.

A few weeks ago after I wrote the #Think Younger post that stirred things up, I decided that I needed to help get the word out concerning qualified leaders that are younger OR simply not in the conversation.

I created a website: www.ga16elections.com

This is to let you know what I am thinking. If you have different thoughts, then please create a site and explain your reasoning.

This site will change over the next few weeks and it will be deleted on July 20th or so.

Please get the word out.

By the way, there are some officials that are not happy with me. I have not done this out of rebellion, but out of passion for openness in the church.

Here's what I know ... Because of this site, I will not be appointed to any committees this General Assembly. I am willing to take one for the team ... that is, the next generation of leaders that are rising up in the Church of God.

Be blessed today and #ThinkYounger


~Marty

martybaker@stevenscreekchurch.com
_________________
-- Living the Dream
Acts Mod
Posts: 222
5/31/16 11:36 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply with quote
Post Wisdom, Experience, Energy & Vision JLarry
Marty I applaud you for what you are attempting to do. I am not in the know so I do not know any of the men you recommended well enough to support.

For years we have voted for those whom we have heard on the campmeeting circuit. We have not voted for them because of their leadership abilities we have made our choice from their preaching abilities. Ray H. Hughes is a perfect example of this.

I have only heard one of your picks preach and that is Tony Stewart and I have only heard him once. Tony preached a revival at a church near the church I pastored. He did ok but I was not overly impressed. This does not mean he does not have good leadership abilities. Apparently he is doing something right in Tampa.

As an older minister I do not agree with all I am hearing about supporting men only because they are younger. There are many older ministers who think out of the box. These men are much more experienced. Some still have the energy and ability to make things happen.

Why not mix it up. Put men with experience and wisdom, with men who have the energy and vision move the church forward.
_________________
Recorded Sermons @ www.pastorwiley.com

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
Posts: 3182
6/1/16 6:56 am


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: Wisdom, Experience, Energy & Vision LonghornFan
JLarry wrote:
Marty I applaud you for what you are attempting to do. I am not in the know so I do not know any of the men you recommended well enough to support.

For years we have voted for those whom we have heard on the campmeeting circuit. We have not voted for them because of their leadership abilities we have made our choice from their preaching abilities. Ray H. Hughes is a perfect example of this.

I have only heard one of your picks preach and that is Tony Stewart and I have only heard him once. Tony preached a revival at a church near the church I pastored. He did ok but I was not overly impressed. This does not mean he does not have good leadership abilities. Apparently he is doing something right in Tampa.

As an older minister I do not agree with all I am hearing about supporting men only because they are younger. There are many older ministers who think out of the box. These men are much more experienced. Some still have the energy and ability to make things happen.

Why not mix it up. Put men with experience and wisdom, with men who have the energy and vision move the church forward.


Larry,

The irony of Marty's effort to "think younger" and the typical responses, is that most of the guys on his list are seasoned guys in their 40's.

I have been unashamedly and passionately promoting a few guys on his list because of their accomplishments, maturity, and wisdom. Ironically, Marty list them as young guys.

Scott Sheppard is the chairman of the state council in North Georgia. He is in his mid 40's He took a good church in Athens, GA and has been faithful there for around a decade. It has grown exponentially and is now the fastest growing church in the state. They have relocated and built a new campus that I have heard is amazing. I went to Lee with Scott and he has been a great leader his entire adult life.

David Smith also serves on the council in North Georgia. He has a reputation of a mentor and encourager. He is a pastor's pastor. That is one of the things that brings his name into the conversation. He did an amazing job in Trenton, GA. for close to 20 years. He went there with 15 people and it has grown into one of the most vibrant COG congregations in the Chattanooga area. He went into a challenging situation at Monroe that most are not aware of and has done an incredible job.

Kevin McGlamery serves on the state council in Alabama. He has served as a youth pastor in some of our greatest churches. He has been mentored by people like Mitch Maloney, Hal Thompson, and others. He is presently the pastor of Life Church Huntsville. Like the Scott and David, he has shown the ability to revitalize a church. He is leading Life Church through a transitional time that will produce tremendous growth. I also went to Lee with Kevin. He is a mature and seasoned leader.

Frankly, all three of these guys have taken traditionally strong churches that had the potential to rest on their histories and face decline and, with the help of the Lord, they have led revitalization efforts that have turned them in the right direction. There are many great names on Marty's list. These are three that I know have the skill set and vision to be an asset to our movement. One of the primary things that I like about these guys is that, from what I hear, they show up. They are churchmen with an understanding of culture and a passion for the next generation.
Friendly Face
Posts: 109
6/1/16 7:55 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post BromptonFalls
Marty, thanks for the website. I like a lot of the names you've listed for the Committee and Council and plan on voting for many of them. Seeing the pictures of some of the men I don't know helps too.

You've not listed anyone for the World Missions Department or Youth Department that you are supporting or recommending. Who do you think should fill these positions?
_________________
Beautiful weather we're having
Hey, DOC
Posts: 63
6/1/16 7:58 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Re: Wisdom, Experience, Energy & Vision MartyBaker
JLarry wrote:
Marty I applaud you for what you are attempting to do. I am not in the know so I do not know any of the men you recommended well enough to support.


As an older minister I do not agree with all I am hearing about supporting men only because they are younger. There are many older ministers who think out of the box. These men are much more experienced.


Larry,
Thanks for your kind words.

Here's a question that we must wrestle with? Define the term "Younger."

Several years ago, my parents described their Sunday School Class as the young marrieds class. My wife said, "Why are yall are in the young marrieds class?" At that point they were in their 50s.

Well, they were in the young marrieds class because at their church, they were the young married.

That's sort of how I feel with these guys ... we are calling them young and they are not really young.

Tony Stewart is 41 ... that's not young. Scott Sheppard is not young. Kevin McGlamery is not young. Okay ... maybe Kevin Wallace is still sort of young but he preaches like a seasoned communicator and leads a larger church.

The Church of God is like my parents ... they think that the group over in the young marrieds class are actually young ... they are not.

At Stevens Creek, we are intentionally trying to go young with our leadership. We have enough old people. So, we are intentionally hiring people in their 20s. These young leaders are over large budgets and big groups.

Our kids pastor is 27 ... she oversees 400 kids and 100 adults and in July she is begin transferred to become the Stewardship Pastor and will oversee the church budgeting process and speak into fund raising.

I am not saying to turn the denomination over to the youth group, but I am saying that it is time for folks in their 30s and 40s to spark life in our movement.

We need to #ThinkYounger.

Larry ... I appreciate the fact that you are still in the game. We go back nearly 30 years ... it's hard to believe its been that long. You and I are confident in our calling and we need to speak that confidence into these younger folks.

Be blessed today.

Marty


MartyBaker@stevenscreekchurch.com
_________________
-- Living the Dream
Acts Mod
Posts: 222
6/1/16 8:01 am


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
Dr. Baker, how much would it cost OTCP to git his picture an bio on at snazzy new website a yorn? I'm willin to invest a few greenbacks to be amongst all em fellers. Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
6/1/16 1:50 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Eddie Robbins
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Dr. Baker, how much would it cost OTCP to git his picture an bio on at snazzy new website a yorn? I'm willin to invest a few greenbacks to be amongst all em fellers.


You're not on the list?
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 16029
6/1/16 2:02 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Ya got ta be on fleek ta git yaself on that website, Ole Timer. I hope ya make it.


Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Dr. Baker, how much would it cost OTCP to git his picture an bio on at snazzy new website a yorn? I'm willin to invest a few greenbacks to be amongst all em fellers.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
6/1/16 2:51 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Calling Your Bluff mytwocents
Hey Marty,

No offense, I generally like you. But I'm gonna call you on this one.

You propose we must vote in youth based primarily upon youth; granted some names you have given are wise and excellent leaders, but your primary argument is that for the church to be successful we must move to the youth, even perhaps at the expense of other eligible leaders whose only fault is their birthdate.

So here is my call: if you really believe this scenario then RESIGN your church.
You are in your fifties I believe. That, by your argument, is too old to lead.
So, give the keys to the young guys and walk away.

.....
Acts-celerater
Posts: 797
6/1/16 10:02 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Re: Calling Your Bluff MartyBaker
mytwocents wrote:
Hey Marty,

No offense, I generally like you. But I'm gonna call you on this one.

You propose we must vote in youth based primarily upon youth; granted some names you have given are wise and excellent leaders, but your primary argument is that for the church to be successful we must move to the youth, even perhaps at the expense of other eligible leaders whose only fault is their birthdate.

So here is my call: if you really believe this scenario then RESIGN your church.
You are in your fifties I believe. That, by your argument, is too old to lead.
So, give the keys to the young guys and walk away.

.....





You missed my point OR maybe you made my point. I NEVER suggested to not vote for someone my age ... I only encouraged voting for people who "think younger".

Look at the details..... I am not against anyone .... I am just FOR the younger generation and I have proved that at Stevens Creek Church. Look at our staff. We are people who "Think Younger."

Here's what I read into your post.... please correct me .... it seems that you encourage voting as a system that you earn with "Faithfulness points". Granted, we want people to be faithful, but we cannot put people in office just because they are "entitled" .... We must grow this church. We must expand our borders. We must reach lost people.


Vote for the people who have actually done that .... regardless of their age.

Here's where we can compromise .... if you want an age bracket, then vote for Spirit of Caleb leaders.

http://www.thinkyounger.org/spirit-of-caleb-leaders


There will be more names posted ... but we need folks who still want to "take the mountain."


Marty
_________________
-- Living the Dream
Acts Mod
Posts: 222
6/2/16 7:41 am


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply with quote
Post Blacklist famousflavius
I am amazed that anyone could publish a such website like this and get away with it. I venture to say that if your name gets on this new website you will be blacklisted and cut out of the loop. Scary stuff here. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
Posts: 2399
6/6/16 10:10 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Re: Blacklist MartyBaker
famousflavius wrote:
I am amazed that anyone could publish a such website like this and get away with it. I venture to say that if your name gets on this new website you will be blacklisted and cut out of the loop. Scary stuff here.


You are right. I would not encourage anyone to do what I am doing ... it is risky.

However, I felt prompted to do it.

I realize that I may not ever be placed on a board or committee again ... that's okay. The whole focus is not to get my name out, but to get people to #Think Younger. If we don't think younger ... our voice of evangelism will not be as strong moving forward.

I know that these young guys could not do what I am doing ... I sincerely want to speak for them. I love our movement and if I don't stand up ... who will?

I have been at The Creek for 29 years and the leaders in the movement don't understand why we have grown, but at least they respect it.

So, I can take a risk for those who may not be able to.

MCB
_________________
-- Living the Dream
Acts Mod
Posts: 222
6/7/16 4:15 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
Dr. Baker, son, I sent ya that seed faith gift last week, when is the ole timers pic/bio gonna be placed on ya website? Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
6/7/16 8:22 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post wannabebishop
In all seriousness young men and women of God, Don't be afraid to take risk. I promise you The COG has never turned $ down & will gladly receive your offering when money flows in your ministry. You maybe blacklisted today but tomorrow when the blessings flow you will be the bounce back story in the COG Evangel & a seat on a board will be cleared for you. Friendly Face
Posts: 189
6/8/16 4:06 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Joshua and Caleb famousflavius
Joshua and Caleb were both old when they finally got to enter into the promised land. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
Posts: 2399
6/8/16 10:18 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Taking out a billboard Looking For Friends
Back when I was in my 20's and getting ready to vote for the first time on the General Council "floor", a few ministry friends said they were going to rent a billboard going into Indianapolis with my picture and ministerial file number so everyone coming into town would see it. (obviously that was a joke because my friends are too cheap to do it)

However, what has been done with this new political campaign site (which is very well done) has changed the future for the Church of God. It is entirely possible that by 2018 there will be SEVERAL such sites that could eventually cause us to resemble a National Convention of a major political party. (on a much smaller scale, of course)

Thank you, Marty. I'm looking forward to seeing how many of your candidates are selected as many of them were already on my list of people to vote for.

In my opinion, this "non-Campmeeting circuit" method of campaigning will bring lots of change over the next 2-3 General Assembly periods...and brings a possibility of a major shift in leadership.

Instead of having a group of men who will be chosen for their preaching, administrative skills and established track record of service we will have people leading our movement who are creative and technologically advanced enough to employ a campaign staff and create a social media rush in the weeks leading to the General Assembly.

It worked for Bernie Sanders...it can work for the Church of God.

See y'all in Nashville. No billboards rented for my candidates...yet.
Acts-celerater
Posts: 536
6/9/16 8:52 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Young Blood Min Music
Marty,
As we all know, the COG is very "political".

As you talked about in your first post, the way we've elevated those in office now, is them to have been given those opportunities at events for the delegates (voting pastors) to see them in camp meetings and such.

In my humble opinion, just because someone has good stage presence and people like what they said, doesn't make them a good administrator.

We all know a person or so that can huff, puff, spit on people and knock people up-side the head with their bible - but you sure wouldn't want them to help you work out any real issues. They run off people in their congregations, and don't even have any common sense. We've seen state officials place pastors in the pulpit that should be cleaning toilets in office buildings after-hours. You know that someone didn't listen to God...
- On the other hand, we know people that doesn't even want to stand on a stage in front of anyone, but knows how to talk to people one-on-one, and can solve any problem you put in front of them.

In an alternate universe, the best preacher would be the closest to God - and would have God giving him (or her) explicit directions, but that's not necessarily reality. Sometimes, what we have a lot of times now is the best politician working to get the best positions.

Yes, I know that the COG has had some excellent leaders in these high positions, but we've had some excellent leaders that are still in the pulpit every Sunday that don't play the political games as well as other people.

I think that introducing new blood is vital to growth in the church. That's how you have been so successful. You listened to God - and thought outside of the box. We've also got to keep wisdom - "tribal knowledge" in the mix as well.

- God bless you for starting a new dialog.
Friendly Face
Posts: 148
6/15/16 5:27 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post caveator
Marty,

There are several names on your website that do not have file numbers beside them. Frankly, several of those without the file numbers listed are top on my list. Is there any way that you could help provide the numbers? Possibly, those individuals could provide you with the numbers. I do not know how or where to get them.

Thanks!
Acts-celerater
Posts: 573
6/16/16 9:24 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
Dr Baker, son, I don't mean to press the issue, but I done ask ya several times bout havin OTCP's name/number added to ya website. Are you seriously not gonna add ma name/number on ya site? Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
6/16/16 10:04 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post georgiapath
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Dr Baker, son, I don't mean to press the issue, but I done ask ya several times bout havin OTCP's name/number added to ya website. Are you seriously not gonna add ma name/number on ya site?



I believe that is a no. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
Posts: 7241
6/28/16 2:00 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Acts-celerate Terms of Use | Acts-celerate Policy
World News Network | Acts-celerate Chat
Contact the Administrator.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.