Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Ethics and Buying Alcohol at dinner

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Ethics and Buying Alcohol at dinner Link
Let's say a member of a COG was buying dinner for someone else or for a group of people, and those people order drinks with alcohol. What should he or she do?

Let's consider some different scenarios.

1. A COG member's job is to broker million-dollar deals for his company. He takes potential clients or business partners out to dinner with company funds. The client orders one beer. Should he refuse to pay for it?

2. COG member is making a business deal for his own sole proprietership or LLC. He takes a big customer out to dinner. Customer orders a beer with his steak and shrimp. Should the COG member pay for the beer?

3. Conservative COG fellow meets a Christian girl online who goes to a non-denominational megachurch. He is traditional, opens doors, and pays for meals. He asked her out for dinner, his treat. They go out and she orders a glass of red wine with her filet mignon. Should he refuse to pay for the wine?

All those ordering these beverages are over 21.

Should the guy stop the people ordering and say he's not paying for drinks?
6/4/16 1:35 pm

Post Da Sheik
If I was trying to close a million-dollar deal, I would probably buy the guy a couple drinks Laughing

All kidding aside, it wouldn't present an ethical dilemma for me. I don't drink but even my doctor recommended I drink a little red wine.
Acts Enthusiast
6/4/16 3:23 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
There are lots of COG folks who work in restaurants and other establishments that sell alcohol and tobacco. There is no difference. As long as they don't partake, they are not breaking any rules. If they have a personal conviction, so be it.

It's funny, though....nothing is ever said about paying for 3 pieces of pie for one person.
Acts-pert Poster
6/4/16 5:39 pm

Post Da Sheik
Eddie you raise an interesting point and one that I have often wondered about. I can't help but wonder if all of the extra-biblical rules that we have lead people to excesses in the area of eating. I think some people think of overeating as the one "vice" that is sanctioned by the COG and therefore perfectly permissible. Acts Enthusiast
6/4/16 6:21 pm

Post Redneck
Quote:
If they have a personal conviction, so be it.

That is the kicker to all of this. Without getting into a long diatribe about ethics on alcohol. Personal conviction is the difference.

No matter which side of the fence you are on when it comes to consumption to alcohol. The thing is, folks should be able to respect one anothers choice. I personally wouldn't have a problem if I consumed alcohol at a dinner meeting if someone felt a personal conviction against.

It is such the social norm, I think a bigger testimony is for the person paying to pay for it, but abstain from consuming. I think that would open up a door for witnessing because those partaking would take notice.

In my opinion we as christians want to impose our beliefs on others as opposed to showing them how to live it. Like the old saying goes. Action speak louder than words.
6/5/16 7:09 am

Post Re: Ethics and Buying Alcohol at dinner c6thplayer1
Link wrote:

1. A COG member's job is to broker million-dollar deals for his company. He takes potential clients or business partners out to dinner with company funds. The client orders one beer. Should he refuse to pay for it?

2. COG member is making a business deal for his own sole proprietership or LLC. He takes a big customer out to dinner. Customer orders a beer with his steak and shrimp. Should the COG member pay for the beer?

3. Conservative COG fellow meets a Christian girl online who goes to a non-denominational megachurch. He is traditional, opens doors, and pays for meals. He asked her out for dinner, his treat. They go out and she orders a glass of red wine with her filet mignon. Should he refuse to pay for the wine?

Why wouldnt he?

Quote:

Should the guy stop the people ordering and say he's not paying for drinks?

Only if he is not hypocrite.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/5/16 11:31 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Eddie Robbins wrote:
There are lots of COG folks who work in restaurants and other establishments that sell alcohol and tobacco.

If I see snuff runnin down the chin of my waitress, hey, me an momma git up an leave. I aint partakin a no snuff.
Acts-pert Poster
6/5/16 12:49 pm

Post Cojak
Pay the bill, tip and have a good evening. I would hope the Christian is successful and the deal is made. Smile

Success on the last one is having a good time and enjoying the company.

Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/5/16 1:17 pm

Post Cojak
Pay the bill, tip and have a good evening. I would hope the Christian is successful and the deal is made. Smile

Success on the last one is having a good time and enjoying the company.

Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/5/16 1:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic