Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Nearing Retirement? Letterman said it well.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Nearing Retirement? Letterman said it well. Cojak
I am not a Letterman fan, but I was reading a speech he made and it reminded me of how I felt after the first retirement and how my dad felt at his final retirement from pastoring.

Two days after retiring the first time, my truck died and I pulled to the side of the road hurriedly I tried to figure out the problem. Then I laughed out loud thinking, Why are you in a hurry? You have no where you must be and nothing pressing to do. A few days ago when I said 'jump', 36 people asked how high? (figuratively speaking). Now I stood there, just a guy no responsibility. After a few more days I did not realize it then but as Letterman said, 'my self esteem started to falter.'

I found something to do and actually went back to work. When I retired the second time I was prepared, I had a plan and it has worked for me.

It never worked for my dad. 4 weeks after retirement from 50 years of pastoring he was miserable. He had no responsibilities and NO HOBBIES, he did not golf, fish or travel. Although he was in demand most weekends to preach somewhere, his self esteem fell.

If he had taken a 'sabbatical' of a month or so, he would have been back in harness. The church he pastored could easily have paid his salary and that of a temporary replacement, but that was not in vogue...

Retirement is GREAT, if you are ready for it. Plan for it, talk to your peers who have retired. The average human is not happy to lay around and watch soap operas, but if you are that is great. JUST DO NOT LET YOUR SELF ESTEEM DRIFT AWAY, you are still in His Army and have a place.

Just my observations... Retired and loving it. I even like myself most of the time.

Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/24/16 11:29 am

Post JLarry
Cojak just gave you some very good advice.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
5/24/16 12:17 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
The reason I chose real estate was that as long as I can drive and I have my mind, I can work. Even if I only do 2 or 3 deals a year, I am working. At Keller Williams, I am also able to recruit other agents and earn profit sharing from those agents in a profitable office. I'm still only 61 and have 20-25 years of work left in me, Lord willing. Acts-pert Poster
5/24/16 4:14 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic