Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Followers into leaders

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Followers into leaders Ernie Long
Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, the CoG paraded John Maxwell and other church grower gurus from state to state teaching pastors how to develop leaders in their churches. I bought John's books and I must say they look mighty impressive in my bookcase, BUT... what do you do if you have a church full of followers who are content with being a follower and has no desire to be developed into a leader.

As John says, "Leaders are made, not born"

I feel like Moses, I can lead them to the river, but can't get them to cross over. Sad
Acts Enthusiast
4/26/16 10:13 am

Post Eddie Robbins
And, when a new person joins with the desire to be a leader, everybody is asking who this person thinks they are. Acts-pert Poster
4/26/16 11:04 am

Post Link
It's funny. I haven't heard of John Maxwell probably in a couple of years. I heard an ad advertizing his corporate training certification on the radio yesterday. Then, last night, my wife mentioned him. Now, I read this message.

I had a friend in the same home group in Indonesia who owned an education business. As a ministry, he was helping Maxwell's ministry give free Maxwell training to pastors and others for free if they would agree to train five other people. The same man also coordinated Crown Financial's ministry there and a number of other ministries.
4/26/16 12:19 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
It's funny. I haven't heard of John Maxwell probably in a couple of years. I heard an ad advertizing his corporate training certification on the radio yesterday. Then, last night, my wife mentioned him. Now, I read this message.

It's an omen, Link. 3 times in 24 hours you've been nudged in your spirit per John Maxwell. 24 divided by 3 = 8. Looks like you're supposed to purchase $800 worth of John Maxwell resources, read/listen/watch it all within a 24 day period. Then, after 3 days of breaking the generational curses in your family, you're going to receive a call from an anonymous source in the Knesset who will give you specific directions to the portal that is located just outside Cleveland. You're going to be the head an not the tail. You're gonna be blessed in the city an in the field. You're gonna speak that which aint as though it is. Then, you will........................well, that's enough on this one. But just wait till the next omen.
Acts-pert Poster
4/26/16 1:56 pm

Post wayne
Eddie Robbins wrote:
And, when a new person joins with the desire to be a leader, everybody is asking who this person thinks they are.

Thumb Up
Acts Enthusiast
4/26/16 2:39 pm

Post Da Sheik
I think leaders are chosen and gifted by God. I think the bible bears this out. I look at countless examples like the parable of the coins. Each man has his gift and abilities. Some people are simply not cut out to be leaders. And there's nothing wrong with that. If everyone tries to lead, then nothing ever gets accomplished. I love the example of Moses. At first, he was eager to lead in Pharaoh's palace. When God was ready for him to lead, he was reluctant.

When I identify someone in our congregation as a leader (usually others affirm that gift and it is evident), I do everything I can to affirm, encourage, equip, and release them into ministry. I have pastored churches where there were precious few leaders and I made the best of the situation. I am always cautious of someone who comes in with a zeal to lead a ministry right away. Not because I am jealous (I'm glad when anyone wants to demonstrate godly leadership ), but because I believe time is necessary to evaluate character and temperment.

I agree with Maxwell that leaders are not necessarily "born", but I do believe they have to be called and gifted to lead.
Acts Enthusiast
4/26/16 10:32 pm

Post These are the people I have in my church Ernie Long
that have approached me about doing ministry.

A couple who run a dairy farm with over 1,200 head of cows to milk and 30 employees.

A couple who own a restaurant with several employees and several rental properties.

A retired couple who were on their previous church's board (the church closed) for 23 years.

All these couples have experience in ministry, but asking them to step out of what they are comfortable of doing, they shut down on me. Even though they approached me about doing ministry, they are unwilling to do anything outside of what they told me they want to do... and I am still waiting for them to do what they said they were going to do.

If I had hair I would pull it out. Smile
Acts Enthusiast
4/27/16 8:30 am

Post Da Sheik
Just out of curiosity, what types of ministry are you asking of them that's outside of their comfort zone ? Acts Enthusiast
4/27/16 10:09 am

Post Ernie Long
Da Sheik wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what types of ministry are you asking of them that's outside of their comfort zone ?

One of the ladies play's the keyboard (for over a year now) along side of my wife who leads the worship and plays her keyboard also. My wife has been working with this lady to lead worship and we have told her several times that one day she will be leading worship. She has stated that she is excited to lead worship when she is ready. She sings specials, so it isn't as if we are putting her putting out there on her own. We will be out of town this weekend and my wife asked her to lead worship (which she is very capable of doing) she turned my wife down saying, she isn't comfortable leading worship.

Asked another one of the ladies to be in charge of a dinner for a family that I did a funeral for this past Monday (my wife made sure people would bring food, I made sure the fellowship hall was set-up) all this lady had to do was put the food out as people brought it in. My son was at the church with this lady, so it wasn't as if she was doing this alone. After the funeral, my wife and I arrived at the church before the family and we had several other members show up to help also. The lady we asked to be in charge, stayed in the kitchen and talked to another lady (doing nothing) while the other members that showed up made sure the family was taken care of. After the dinner this lady told my wife she had never done anything like this before and was pleased with herself that she was able to do what we asked her to do. I thought to myself the only thing you did was hide in the kitchen.

It's not like we are running in the thousands (we're not even running 50 yet) and I consider this time to be a time where we can build a foundation so that when we start growing at least we will have a standard to work from. But, if I'm shot down whenever I ask someone who has shown an interest in leadership to do something outside their comfort zone, then all I feel I am doing is spinning my wheels.
Acts Enthusiast
4/27/16 11:36 am

Post Da Sheik
I can empathize. My 2nd church never ran more than about 60 or so and I only had one other person I could depend on to help with anything. I tried all kinds of leadership initiatives and training opportunities but to no avail. We had no divisions or schisms in that church but it was exhausting. I think one of the struggles of the smaller church is that the congregation takes the mindset of "we are small so the pastor can take care of that and I don't have to worry about it ". They don't consider that often the pastor is bivocational or just needs to take a vacation. Praying for you that God will send you an Aaron or a Joshua to hold your arms up. Acts Enthusiast
4/27/16 5:48 pm

Post Thank you Ernie Long
Da Sheik wrote:
I can empathize. My 2nd church never ran more than about 60 or so and I only had one other person I could depend on to help with anything. I tried all kinds of leadership initiatives and training opportunities but to no avail. We had no divisions or schisms in that church but it was exhausting. I think one of the struggles of the smaller church is that the congregation takes the mindset of "we are small so the pastor can take care of that and I don't have to worry about it ". They don't consider that often the pastor is bivocational or just needs to take a vacation. Praying for you that God will send you an Aaron or a Joshua to hold your arms up.

and I appreciate your prayers. This is a good church and the people are willing to work... when it is at their convenience. There is no competitive spirit here, when new people show up and want to be used, there is no complaining and everyone works well together.

It's just they expect my wife and I to be the ones to initiate everything and I want them to step out and allow God to use them.
Acts Enthusiast
4/28/16 9:14 am

Post Da Sheik
Take it from an old(er) man Ernie Laughing

You're doing a great job. You have a church with unity and I cannot express to you how priceless this is. I didn't mention it, but I left the aforementioned church for a larger church. They had many more workers but they fought all the time. My role as pastor changed to mediator. I fantacized about going back to the church then ran under 100 in attendance.

God will send you someone to help you. He always does. Trust me. I will be praying to that end in the meantime.
Acts Enthusiast
4/28/16 11:22 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic