Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Praise and Worship
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Praise and Worship Methocostal
Where does the Bible give a "formula" for worship? I was told once that we should have 60% Praise and 40% worship:) Truly

Pity our ancestors that didn't have this enlightened approach.

I attended an AOG in my town looking for a Church. Naturally, the lights were dimmed so we could work everyone up to worship. What followed was 3 songs that literally took 45 minutes. I guess people have to be worn down in order to worship properly. I see the "formula" in place where we repeat the same words over and over slower and slower in order to induce what almost amounts to a trance that pretends to be worship. I almost walked out.

I may need to change my name to Bapticostal as we have finally found a great Baptist church that has a blended service. I can't say I'm thrilled with all the Contemporary songs (But I do like many of them), but at least they are trying to relate to the ENTIRE audience and not just to those under 40 or the silent olders. I realize this thread wasn't directly about about contemporary or traditional, but at its core, it probably was. Although a good point was made that WE have made it about the music and that wasn't the true intent.

I get such a bad spirit when strobe lights and a rock concert is presented in the guise of praise and worship. Pentecostals are absolutely the worst for this though it is also creeping in some more mainstream Churches as well. I do not appreciate having it shoved down our throat with absolutely no respect for tradition or the contributions (and I don't mean financial) of the older ones in the congregation.

I've read that nobody is pleased when services are blended and frankly I do not agree. Indeed, certain parts of the congregation may prefer one type over another (and some very vocal people will try to get their version of worship to be done), but mostly I believe people appreciate at least an attempt to understand their perspective. 20 something year old MOM's seem to think they have all the answers and have no respect for the needs of the entire congregation. The older people are forced to endure the strobe lights and rock music as they go through the motions of worship.

There is much more to service than whether we are following a formula to arrive at a place of worship. I am certain there will be responses that worship is much more than music (and I agree), but inevitably those that express that view the strongest are almost always supportive of 100% contemporary. If worship is indeed independent of the music, why can you can not offer some type of blend to both respect the elders and to provide an appreciation of older music to the youth? I am absolutely NOT espousing that only traditional music be done. Nor am I saying that we should only do John Wesley hymns. (Frankly I don't really want only old hymns either). While some songs written in the last 100 years or so may not stand the test of being scriptural, a much higher percent of contemporary songs lyrics could be done on popular radio and the audience would not even know it is "Christian". What I find more appaling is the sheer superficiality and dumbing down present in contemporary. On the other hand, there are many excellent Contemporary songs that will stand the test of time.

Line up the firing squad Smile

Eddie Robbins wrote:
What's the difference? It's really just a Christianese thing to say, isn't it? You wouldn't say Worship and Praise either. Isn't praise a form of worship? Isn't this just a name for the music portion of a church service? Break it down for me. 😀
Friendly Face
5/4/16 12:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic