Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Praise and Worship
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Praise and Worship Eddie Robbins
What's the difference? It's really just a Christianese thing to say, isn't it? You wouldn't say Worship and Praise either. Isn't praise a form of worship? Isn't this just a name for the music portion of a church service? Break it down for me. 😀 Acts-pert Poster
4/18/16 1:50 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Theres no difference in my mind. I think this come from the contemporary set by which one would give God praise for who he is and them worship him for what he has done. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/18/16 6:11 pm

Post mytimewillcome
The way I understand it is that praise is the faster paced music generally written about God. (What a might God we serve)

Worship is slower paced and generally written to God. (You're a good, good Father).

Considering the normal flow of music in churches, the correct order would be praise then worship.

To answer your question: Yes, it is mostly Christianese
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/18/16 7:55 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I have a Sunday School lesson I did on this several years ago if you are interested. I'd have to look up a few words before I could send it to you, but let me know if you'd like to read it. Smile
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/19/16 10:30 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Post it! Acts-pert Poster
4/20/16 6:32 am

Post georgiapath
What we have is noise and hype. Acts-dicted
4/20/16 10:21 am

Post I like both kinds of music - link postmodern
mytimewillcome wrote:
The way I understand it is that praise is the faster paced music generally written about God. (What a might God we serve)

Worship is slower paced and generally written to God. (You're a good, good Father).

Considering the normal flow of music in churches, the correct order would be praise then worship.

This discussion reminds me of this
https://youtu.be/cSZfUnCK5qk
Friendly Face
4/20/16 10:33 am

Post c6thplayer1
georgiapath wrote:
What we have is noise and hype.

we left one because of that.
4/20/16 12:45 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
mytimewillcome wrote:

Agreed.
4/20/16 1:29 pm

Post brotherjames
Praise def. 1 Hebrew
הלל
hâlal
haw-lal'
A primitive root; to be clear (originally of sound, but usually of color); to shine; hence to make a show; to boast; and thus to be (clamorously) foolish; to rave; causatively to celebrate; also to stultify: - (make) boast (self), celebrate, commend, (deal, make), fool (-ish, -ly), glory, give [light], be (make, feign self) mad (against), give in marriage, [sing, be worthy of] praise, rage, renowned, shine.

Praise 2 Hebrew
ידה
yâdâh
yaw-daw'
A primitive root; used only as denominative from H3027; literally to use (that is, hold out) the hand; physically to throw (a stone, an arrow) at or away; especially to revere or worship (with extended hands); intensively to bemoan (by wringing the hands): - cast (out), (make) confess (-ion), praise, shoot, (give) thank (-ful, -s, -sgiving).

Praise NT Greek
αἴνεσις
ainesis
ah'ee-nes-is
From G134; a praising (the act), that is, (specifically) a thank (offering): - praise.

Worship 1 Hebrew
שׁחה
shâchâh
shaw-khaw'
A primitive root; to depress, that is, prostrate (especially reflexively in homage to royalty or God): - bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship.

Worship 2 Hebrew
סגד
sâgad
saw-gad'
A primitive root; to prostrate oneself (in homage): - fall down.

Worship NT Greek
προσκυνέω
proskuneō
pros-koo-neh'-o
From G4314 and probably a derivative of G2965 (meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master’s hand); to fawn or crouch to, that is, (literally or figuratively) prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore): - worship.

The distinction between Praise and Worship are NOT mere "Christianese" words of essentially the same thing. Praise is genuine celebration, laudatory exclamation, using of the hands versus the idea of prostrating oneself in the presence of a superior being and the adoration of the same.

This is why one begins usually (not meant to be the only template for the praise/worship service) with faster, celebratory singing and ending with slower more worshipful songs of adoration that invokes the Presence. Of course we know every act that takes place (the offering, the singing, the preaching) with the possible exception of announcements are part of the "Worship" experience.

Just my two cents. But in my experience it is often better to see what God says about the subject rather than to just postulate one's "feelings".
Smile
Acts-celerater
4/20/16 1:39 pm

Post mytimewillcome
brotherjames wrote:

The distinction between Praise and Worship are NOT mere "Christianese" words of essentially the same thing....

Just my two cents. But in my experience it is often better to see what God says about the subject rather than to just postulate one's "feelings".

Great job. You took Hebrew. Here's your medal. The question was not whether or not the words "praise and worship" mean the same thing in the original languages.

It indeed is a "Christianese" term if the combo cannot be found together in scripture to mean a music service in an assembly.

Further, this forum is a place where one should feel free to express their "feelings". I'll leave it up to you to tell me what "feelings" means in Hebrew.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/20/16 8:10 pm

Post bonnie knox
It is a strange thing to me to say the speed of a song determines its category. Strange indeed. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/20/16 8:17 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
mytimewillcome wrote:
brotherjames wrote:

The distinction between Praise and Worship are NOT mere "Christianese" words of essentially the same thing....

Great job. You took Hebrew. Here's your medal. The question was not whether or not the words "praise and worship" mean the same thing in the original languages.

It indeed is a "Christianese" term if the combo cannot be found together in scripture to mean a music service in an assembly.

Further, this forum is a place where one should feel free to express their "feelings". I'll leave it up to you to tell me what "feelings" means in Hebrew.

Eddie - Should you wonder why I'm hesitant to post a lesson here, please read the above comments. Just about everything here anymore is mocked or scorned.

I thought brotherjames did an excellent job of explaining this.
4/20/16 11:27 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Eddie - Should you wonder why I'm hesitant to post a lesson here, please read the above comments. Just about everything here anymore is mocked or scorned.

I thought brotherjames did an excellent job of explaining this.

Carolyn,
One answer was smug and condescending and the other was a sarcastic response. While I have probably done both, I've never read anything where you have done either one. Smile You're engagement in dialog here had always been exclusively sincere. From what I have seen here, historically your thoughts have been treated with respect even when others may disagree.

To the issue at hand: As I mentioned, both explanations to the original question ("MyTimeWillCome" and "BrotherJames") seem legitimate since there is no air-tight Biblical formula. I do think "BrotherJames" offered a definitive finality that scripture does not demand.

These online forums have always been fascinating to me - especially where Christian thought and theology are discussed. I have been challenged on matters I am very passionate about - and the challenge may come in a less than gracious fashion. In the end it tests the substance of my passion and sharpens my faith - even if others respond to me in a manner that is not in keeping with the conversational courtesy of my southern upbringing. Smile

Thanks for your contribution to the dialog here!

Thanks, Tom. I can handle sarcasm...my family speaks it fluently! Wink But it is the mean-spirited comments that rile me. There has been so much negativity here lately...it's troublesome.

I didn't say I wouldn't post the lesson...but this kind of thing sure doesn't help.
4/21/16 6:12 am

Post Carolyn Smith
OK, as usual, I am late to the party, but I finally got around to adding what I needed to the lesson so that it would make sense. The "Word Wealths" are copied from my Spirit-Filled Life Bible (which I love!) The Word Wealths help explain the Hebrew/Greek words and can often offer more insight to give us a better understanding.

Following is a lesson I did a few years ago about Praise & Worship. It is pretty lengthy.

Today we are going to study about praise & worship. We often think today about praise and worship being a segment of our church services, but it is more than just that. "Praise & worship" as we know it has only become popular in church services in the last 20 years or so, but the words "praise and �worship" are all throughout the Word. Let's look at a couple of Word Wealths for these words.

Read Word Wealth for praise at Ps. 100:4
Tehillah or tehillim: A celebration, a lauding of someone praiseworthy; the praise or exaltation of God; praises, songs of admiration. The noun tehillah comes from the verb halal, which means "to praise, celebrate, and laud." Suitable for prayer or recitation, but especially designed for singing, the Psalms provide the means for eager hearts to express praises to Israel's Holy One.

Read Word Wealth for worship at Ps. 99:5
Shachah: To bow, to stoop, to bow down before someone as an act of submission or reverence; to worship; to fall or bow down when paying homage to God. The primary meaning is "to make oneself low." In the present reference (Ps 99:5), shachah is used in contrast to exaltation: exalt the Lord (Lift Him up high) and worship (bow yourselves down low before Him) at the place of His feet.'

When we praise someone, we say good things about them. We commend their accomplishments. If our child does something good, we praise them to give them positive reinforcement and let them know we are proud of them. When we praise God, we are doing the same kind of thing. We are celebrating Him because He has done great things. We are celebrating Who He is and what He has done. Or sometimes we praise Him in advance of the blessing, because our faith is in Him, and we believe He will do it.

The dictionary defines worship as "reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence; a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual; extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem."

Worship can come in many forms. We tend to think of worship as something that happens when we are singing, and that is indeed a form of worship. Worship happens when we take the time to put our focus on God and block out everything else. When we can focus our thoughts on Him and can began to exalt Him for WHO HE IS rather than WHAT HE�S DONE. Worship is when we began to remember that He is holy and righteous and true, and we begin to proclaim His holiness and His worthiness of our adoration.

While music is a tool used to help us "get into" worship more, it isn't necessarily something we need to worship. Sometimes you can worship fervently just by lifting your hands and speaking His name. When you are in the midst of a trial and you began to bless His name, you are worshiping. I prefer to use music in my personal time with God, because it helps create an atmosphere for His presence. In 2 Kings 3, Jehoshaphat needed to hear from the Lord, and he inquired about a prophet. Elisha was recommended to him as having the Word of the Lord. When Elisha was brought to them, he said, "Bring me a minstrel." The scripture says that as the minstrel (musician) played, the hand of the Lord came on Him. Elisha knew that anointed music helps bring us into His presence and helps create an atmosphere of worship.

Read II Chronicles 20:1-5

This passage deals with King Jehoshaphat, who was the king of Judah. He was a descendant of King David, and he was known as a righteous king. Jehoshaphat learned that three of their enemies were joining together against them to make war. The three enemies together would make a great multitude, and it made Jehoshaphat afraid. He knew that without God's help, they had no chance at all. He began to seek the Lord regarding the attack. He called for a corporate fast in the nation, so Judah came together to ask for help from the Lord.
Upon hearing this news and hearing the king had proclaimed a fast, the people of Judah rallied together and came together corporately to seek the Lord. It doesn't say that Jehoshaphat called them together, but rather, when he called the fast, they came together themselves. They came together to seek the Lord corporately.
There is something about coming together corporately to seek the Lord that is different than seeking Him individually. Even if we are all praying together separately at the same time, it is not the same. When we physically come together to pray and seek the Lord, there is a strength of unity that exists in a different way. A friend of mine explained it to me this way: When we come together to pray, we each bring a
"supply." Think of it as an electrical supply; while we each may be weak or powerful individually, when we bring together that "supply" in prayer, our effectiveness is multiplied by bonding together. When we come together physically, we can come into agreement (saying the same thing) and unity. Acts 2 says they were all together with one mind and one accord. When this happens, that harmony brings us into action.

Jehoshaphat began to pray and remind the Lord of Who He is and what He has done in the past and what He has promised. He reminds God of His promises to stay faithful to their nation. In vs 10, Jehoshaphat reminds the Lord that the people who are coming against them are tribes that the Lord did not allow them to invade when they took the land after coming out of Egypt. The Lord told Moses not to go against Moab, Ammon, or Mount Seir, because Moab and Ammon had already been promised to the descendants of Lot, and Mount Seir had already been promised to the descendants of Esau. God told them He would not give them any of that land because it had already been promised to another descendant of Abraham.

Read II Chronicles 20:12-14

Jehoshaphat declares that they are powerless against the ones coming against them. Then he says, "...nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You." When we don't know what to do, we can never go wrong by putting our eyes on the Lord. Jehoshaphat knew that without God's help, they would be destroyed. He had no alternate plan, so he was looking to God to deliver them.

All of Judah's men, women, and children stood before the Lord, waiting to hear His instruction to them. The Spirit of the Lord came upon one of them, one of the Levites, and he begins to declare the Word of the Lord to them for this moment.

Read II Chronicles 20:15-19

God speaks to all of them and tells them not to be afraid or dismayed because of the great multitude coming against them, for the battle is not theirs, but the Lord's. They are still to go down against their enemies, and God gives them specific instruction on where they will find the enemy. They were still supposed to go in full battle gear and be prepared as if they would be fighting them. The only difference is that the Lord has already promised to fight the enemy for them this time.

Then God tells them something odd. He tells them to go to battle, ready to fight, but that they will not need to fight in this battle. He told them to get ready, to position themselves, and then stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with them. He admonishes them again not to be afraid or dismayed because when they go out against their enemy, the Lord is going with them.

What an odd thing for God to tell them! I want you to go to battle. Get dressed in full gear, and be ready to fight. Get into place, like you are going to fight them. But when you do that, I will show up, and you won't have to do anything! Imagine sending a planeload of our military men over to Iraq, and dropping them in an appointed place of battle, to face an enemy that clearly outnumbers them. But their instructions as they are left facing an enemy with real bullets and weapons of warfare is to stand down and wait until God shows up. This "strategy" goes against everything that military people are trained to do, except one thing. Military personnel do not move at their own pleasure. They must always follow the command of the superior officer. They do not move forward into battle until they are given the go-ahead. And in this case, God is telling them specifically, to get ready, to face the enemy, but then wait. They will not have to do anything more than go to where the enemy is, and He will then show up and turn things around.

Jehoshaphat fell on his face before the Lord at this awesome word, and most of the people also fell down before the Lord and began to worship Him. God was not going to forsake them and let them be annihilated. He was going to come through for them! Some of the Levites stood up and praised God with loud voices. They had church!

Read II Chronicles 20:20-27

They rose up early in the morning and went to the place the Lord instructed them to go. As they went out, Jehoshaphat encouraged them to believe in God and what the prophet had spoken. Then Jehoshaphat consulted with some others and then appointed singers (worshipers) to go out ahead of the army and praise the Lord.
Can you imagine this? God sent the praise team out first before the warriors! Remember that imaginary group of soldiers we dropped in Iraq to face the enemy? We're not going to send them out first to face the bad guys with real bullets and weapons of war. We are going to send them praise team in front of them! What kind of army sends singers out first? God's army! I don't know about you, but the Lord would have had to do some serious work in me to make me excited about sending the singers before the military! (I'm a singer!) They had to have been convinced that God was about to perform a miracle!

Read Word Wealth @ I Chronicles 23:30 for praise.
'Halal: to praise, to thank, rejoice, boast about someone. Halal is the root from which "hallelujah" is formed. The phrase is a command: hallelu-Jah (all of you must praise Jah). Also derived from halal is tehillah, or tehillim in the plural. A tehillah is a praise, a psalm, or a songHalal usually conveys the idea of speaking or singing about the glories, virtues, or honor of someone or something.'

This is the word that we get hallelujah from. Can you imagine going to fight a battle and instead of pulling out weapons, the folks out front begin to sing, "Hallelujah! God is going to come through for us! Praise the Lord, for His mercies endure forever!"Vs 22 tells us that WHEN the worshipers began to sing and to praise, the Lord sent ambushments against the enemies. It was when Judah obeyed God's instructions to let Him fight the battle and they purposely chose to praise and worship Him instead of fighting by their own means, the Lord did His part. He set ambushments against the enemy and they were defeated. What actually happened is that the enemy began to fight among themselves. Somehow confusion entered their ranks and they began to fight and kill each other until every single one of them was dead!

Read Word Wealth @ Ps. 30:5 for sing
'Rinnah: A shout of rejoicing, shouting, loud cheering in triumph; singing. Rinnah describes the kind of joyful shouting at the time of a great victory. In Proverbs 11:10, rinnah describes the jubilation of the righteous when the wicked are eliminated. Zeph 3:17 literally says that God will dance over His beloved people with singing or a shout of joy. Rinnah may best be illustrated by the testimony of the redeemed, returning to Zion from captivity. Rinnah is the word for both singing and joy.

Sometimes God gives us a word that doesn't make a lot of sense to us, but any time He promises that IF we will do (this), THEN HE will do (that) we can take it to the bank. And no matter how odd it may seem to us, we must do what He has called us to do, and we can know, that He will come through for us and turn things around.

If you thought they had church before the battle, just imagine how much they must have praised God when they saw the enemy had started fighting each other. They must have stood there in amazement at what He was doing, and then I think that probably the whole army must have started praising God! They didn't have to lift a finger against the enemy. God took care of the whole thing!

We need to remember that we are still serving the same kind of God today. If we will cry out to Him as Jehoshaphat did and come together corporately, He will meet with us and give us a word in due season. And even if it doesn't make sense to our natural minds, we have to trust in the Lord that He knows what He is doing, and He will bring us through that battle victoriously!
When we face the enemy as God has instructed us, when we have prepared ourselves beforehand and know we are following His instruction, we can know that as we choose to worship and praise Him, the enemy of our souls cannot win. If we will choose to worship and praise the Lord, the enemy will not be able to stand against us. If we will show up for battle, ready to do what He�s called us to do, God will show up and the victory will be ours!
4/24/16 9:22 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Does it say anything about praise and worship teams? Or, that you must say "praise and worship" instead of "worship and praise?" Or, that they must go together when referring to the music portion of the service? Very Happy Acts-pert Poster
4/25/16 5:47 am

Post diakoneo
Most of what we do in "Praise and Worship" really just praise. Everyone can participate "that has breath" can praise Him.

Worship at it's core, I believe, is our reaction in faith to His worth. David's reaction in purchasing property for worship (threshing floor at Aranauh) that would have been given, being an example. It costs something to truly worship. Anyone can pay lip service to God. We are to present our bodies a living sacrifice that is the logical worship of Him who died for us.

The closest we all get to worship many times is what we call the offertory. Even here though men and women generally try to get by with as little as possible. Or attempt to justify or rationalize their giving.

Praise and Worship has become a catch phrase for music that attempts to glorify Christ. To encourage His followers to exalt Him in their hearts. It should do that, but it seems more recently that it falls short and lacks any real depth.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/27/16 8:13 am

Post Eddie Robbins
But, don't say "worship and praise" because that doesn't fit into the Christianese language. 😹😹😹 Acts-pert Poster
4/27/16 1:47 pm

Post diakoneo
I don't see anything wrong with the term "Praise and Worship"

I think Praise coming first is more appropriate than the worship in the phrase, given that praise is something that can be given from the lips without any heart. Whereas worship...true worship must be in spirit and truth.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/27/16 2:14 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Does it say anything about praise and worship teams? Or, that you must say "praise and worship" instead of "worship and praise?" Or, that they must go together when referring to the music portion of the service? Very Happy

There were choirs of Levites that were appointed to sing in the temple, but I think that's about as close as we come to a praise team (unless you count Jehoshaphat's group.)

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie! You're making me tired! LOL
4/27/16 9:46 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic