Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Am I the only one who notices that Paul's letters...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Link
I don't see that in Paul's letters. Paul handled the money issue with a lot more tact than some of the preachers on TV. He doesn't brag about the mansion and jet that God blessed him with, or how many houses he gets to own in this life.

In I Corinthians 9, he refused to receive money from the Corinthians.

Here is a reference to gifts in Philippians 4:17
'Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.'

I don't see any bragging about being richer than them because of their gifts there. I don't see any promises of 100 fold blessings if they give in the next 10 minutes. I don't see any manipulation of them if they don't give. He doesn't curse them if they don't give to him.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians that he hoped they would help him reach further areas past where they were located, so he may not have been totally averse to receiving hospitality from them.
4/19/16 5:45 pm

Post Why are some of you twisting what I meant? Aaron Scott
OF COURSE Paul is NOT using the funds to just set himself up.

BUT MONEY WAS STILL NEEDED, even if Paul had to sometimes learn to content himself in whatsoever state he was in.

He would write to some church that he had perhaps launched. At other times, he would write to a church he had only heard good things about. Perhaps unless you know how evangelists work, you might not see this.

I occasionally get a call from an evangelist (perhaps someone who has just heard of the church, or has some light contact with it). They have never bugged me for revivals, etc., but they do let me know that they are available should I need them (and some of you one here know who you are). I have indeed put these good men to use and with good results!

But if they hadn't made me aware of who they were, their availability, etc., I wouldn't have know to call them! We would have missed out on some great blessings and fellowship!

I think Paul, while offering invaluable spiritual counsel in his letters, also is "staying on the radar." It is a sort of "forget me not." I'm in prison, but I pray for you. I love you. I care for you. Here is what God has given me for you....

I have sent folks offerings for less than that! They simply called at the right time to encourage me, to bolster me, etc., and by following the Spirit they were a blessing...and I want to show my appreciation.

C'mon, folks. We ALL know that Paul was above reproach in these matters. There's nothing wrong with him needing money or asking for it. I mean, these folks don't HAVE to give, right? But since he "robbed other churches," we know that he was often shuffling money around to meet the needs of other works, etc.

Just my thoughts.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/20/16 6:23 am

Post bonnie knox
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Comparing Paul's fundraising efforts/techniques to those of the Reverend Dr. (yep, the docterate is fake) Wisdom Key Speaker Mike Murdock is like comparing Luther and Tetzel from centuries ago.

This incident about Tetzel as accounted by Luther gives me some ideas about how to treat modern-day church swindlers:
"After Tetzel had received a substantial amount of money at Leipzig, a nobleman asked him if it were possible to receive a letter of indulgence for a future sin. Tetzel quickly answered in the affirmative, insisting, however, that the payment had to made at once. This the nobleman did, receiving thereupon letter and seal from Tetzel. When Tetzel left Leipzig the nobleman attacked him along the way, gave him a thorough beating, and sent him back empty-handed to Leipzig with the comment that this was the future sin which he had in mind. Duke George at first was quite furious about this incident, but when he heard the whole story he let it go without punishing the nobleman."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/20/16 7:30 am

Post bonnie knox
Aaron, I think where people are getting off track in your comparisons is that you chose someone like Mike Murdock to compare Paul to rather than, say, some long term missionaries to Malawi.
When Paul wrote to the Romans and said, "I would like to take the gospel to Spain. I plan to visit you on my way, and I hope you can help me in my endeavor," that would be much more like a missionary on furlough saying, 'we are doing this work in Malawi. We hope to build a training center. We hope you can contribute' than it would be for Mike Murdock to say, 'If you are in debt, go further in debt so that I can buy my second airplane for cash just to spite you jealous haters.'
I think about George Muller and how he was said to operate his orphanage on faith without letting people know what he needed. Do I think that's necessary? Not at all do I think it's necessary to not make people aware of your needs. But everyone must check his motives. Am I saying what I'm saying or doing what I'm doing to manipulate someone into giving? Am I being led of the Holy Spirit in ministering in the places He wants me to minister? Am I motivated to receive of people in order to fulfill my own selfish desires? Only the Holy Spirit can reveal our heart motives because we can justify ourselves.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/20/16 8:01 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic