Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

A point about about the KJV only believers

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A point about about the KJV only believers Eddie Robbins
It seems to me that the reason one only uses the KJV is that they believe that the interpretation is more true to what God has to say and that later translations are infiltrated with man's interpretation.

It is funny that they will read a passage from the KJV and then spend 45 minutes interpreting it in a sermon.
Acts-pert Poster
4/12/16 6:44 am

Post Re: A point about about the KJV only believers wayne
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It seems to me that the reason one only uses the KJV is that they believe that the interpretation is more true to what God has to say and that later translations are infiltrated with man's interpretation.

It is funny that they will read a passage from the KJV and then spend 45 minutes interpreting it in a sermon.

Thumb Up
Acts Enthusiast
4/12/16 7:23 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:

In a nutshell, that does seem to be the case. However, for some they reason further that Satan would surely try to corrupt God's word by a new, deceptive translation. A way to guard against that, in their minds, is to stick with a translation that has stood the test of time.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/12/16 8:30 am

Post Also, maqqebet
the KJV they use is actually, I believe (without digging into my notes) the KJ Bible used today is the 4th or 5th revision of the original. Why, if they actually read the 1611 they'd find some surprises.

When the Anglicans came to a Greek word and didn't agree with its definition, viz., baptize, they coined a new word.

The latter part of Revelations was translated from Latin and not Greek.

And, they wouldn't recognize Jesus' name.

Just a few points of interest.
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
4/12/16 8:33 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
As one feisty feller said on the floor of the General Council, "I don't know what the Greek says [and by implication, I don't care what the Greed says], but I know what my KJV says." Acts-pert Poster
4/12/16 10:12 am

Post Re: A point about about the KJV only believers Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:

A lot of truth here Eddie, I think the 'KJV only' feeling is in its death throes in the COG. It is still here because of us older folk, who were raised before these 'NEW and questionable versions (?)' Smile were read by 'REAL CHRISTIANS'.

It is the version we memorized scripture from. It is the words we (old folk) relate to. WE cannot help it, you also probably quote scripture from the KJV.
BUT we are dying out.

However I don't think one is hell-bound who is KJO, maybe a little mislead. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/12/16 10:20 am

Post c6thplayer1
I like all versions but I use the KJV because ... hmm I really dont know why? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/12/16 10:26 am

Post UncleJD
c6thplayer1 wrote:
I like all versions but I use the KJV because ... hmm I really dont know why?

Although it has been revised, the language is so much more poetic than our modern dumbed-down vernacular today. I would never say that the KJV is the only, or even the best translation (in English), but it is certainly the most beautiful sounding one.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/12/16 10:50 am

Post Da Sheik
I love the KJV. My main problem with the KJVO camp is how divisive they are. It's almost like that becomes their mission above all else is to convince people that the KJV is the only way to Heaven. Everything with the KJVO camp is a quarrel or a debate. Almost like they have a chip on their shoulders. Not all of them but a great many. Acts Enthusiast
4/12/16 12:00 pm

Post sheepdogandy
I use the NKJV. I have in-laws who still believe I use some "other" version. Even when I show them on the cover "New King James Version".

I tell them, "Hey, I got an original 1611 in my office if you want to read it".

Makes no difference.

I switched because it took too much time interpreting the 47 revision into modern English.

I like several of the newer translations and use them to clarify the meaning of the text.

It's all about understanding what the scripture is saying, to me at least.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/12/16 12:33 pm

Post Re: A point about about the KJV only believers krista
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Eddie, if the KJV was good enough for Paul, it's good enough for me. Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/12/16 12:49 pm

Post krista
Da Sheik wrote:
I love the KJV. My main problem with the KJVO camp is how divisive they are. It's almost like that becomes their mission above all else is to convince people that the KJV is the only way to Heaven. Everything with the KJVO camp is a quarrel or a debate. Almost like they have a chip on their shoulders. Not all of them but a great many.

Actually sounds like a description of those who are anti-KJV. It's all in perspective.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/12/16 12:51 pm

Post Da Sheik
I don't personally know anyone who is "anti-KJV". But most of my friends are longer in the tooth so maybe that's why Acts Enthusiast
4/12/16 1:59 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I don't personally know anyone who is "anti-KJV". But most of my friends are longer in the tooth so maybe that's why

OUCH! Embarassed Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/12/16 6:28 pm

Post KJV Versus Paraphrases Preacher777
I am NOT KJV only only but I would rather use the KJV, NAS or several other translations rather than a paraphrase such as the NIV. I don't know if it is the poetic language but it seems much easier and natural to memorize scripture when one is used to a KJV translation versus a NIV paraphrase.

I ask this question and it will be interesting to receive feedback: How many people do you hear with a natural ability to quote scripture as a way of life who use-quote KJV versus a paraphrase such as the NIV? I very seldom hear anybody quote scripture from paraphrases.
Friendly Face
4/13/16 11:53 pm

Post Re: KJV Versus Paraphrases Old Time Country Preacher
Preacher777 wrote:
I am NOT KJV only only but I would rather use the KJV, NAS or several other translations rather than a paraphrase such as the NIV. I don't know if it is the poetic language but it seems much easier and natural to memorize scripture when one is used to a KJV translation versus a NIV paraphrase.

I ask this question and it will be interesting to receive feedback: How many people do you hear with a natural ability to quote scripture as a way of life who use-quote KJV versus a paraphrase such as the NIV? I very seldom hear anybody quote scripture from paraphrases.

The NIV isn't a paraphrase. Paraphrases include The Living Bible, The Message, etc.
Acts-pert Poster
4/14/16 12:55 am

Post Preacher777
OTCP, I do not mean to split hairs over definitions but getting back to my original point I think we would agree that the KJV and NAS are much more of a word for word translation than the NIV. Friendly Face
4/14/16 7:42 am

Post bonnie knox
A question for KJV-onlyists:
What is a 'cab of dove's dung'?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/14/16 7:51 am

Post Eddie Robbins
There is a difference between preferring the KJV and thinking you're a heathenistic devil from hell if you use the NKJV. But its OK to give your personal interpretation in a sermon? Seems like KJV only preachers would only read the scriptures and dismiss. Sermon is done! 😀 Acts-pert Poster
4/14/16 8:30 am

Post Preacher777
[quote="bonnie knox"]A question for KJV-onlyists:
What is a 'cab of dove's dung'?[/quote]

Tough question Bonnie and I am glad I am NOT KJV only because I would hate to try answering this one!
Friendly Face
4/14/16 11:38 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic