Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Lee Theology Department Statement on...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Lee Theology Department Statement on... Christopher Stephenson
Women in Ministry.

I am proud of my colleagues in the Department of Theology, who recently adopted the below statement affirming the Department's support for women in ministry. At times, I am especially excited to be part of the Department of Theology, and this is one of those times.

"Statement on Women in Ministry"

"The Department of Theology supports the full participation of women in all vocations of the church. We affirm that God the Father incorporates persons into the body of his Son Jesus Christ and pours out the Holy Spirit upon them without discriminating according to their sex. We affirm that God calls women to every activity, office, and level of ordination in the church. We both renounce any restrictions on the ministry of women based solely on their sex and commit ourselves to the removal of any such restrictions. Finally, we strive to provide a learning atmosphere in which women can find their voices and discern, understand, and pursue their many indispensable vocations."
Friendly Face
4/5/16 8:51 am

Post The "change" often starts in academia or other areas of denominational influence. Aaron Scott
It is a noble sentiment, almost always arising from well-intentioned hearts. Alas, for whatever reason, the Father, appears to have chosen otherwise when it comes, NOT to ministry, but to church-at-large leadership.

Having served under highly intelligent and powerful women in Fortune 25 companies, there is little question of their ability to lead well. Having a lovely wife of organizational intensity, I know this truth with even greater clarity. And yet plenty of God's ways don't fit mine.

Divorce. Why can't someone make a new choice and become much happier...instead of having to wait for adultery or death?

Since only 4% or so of those 25 or older are virgins, the whole fornication prohibition does not at all seem effective. I wouldn't doubt if more than 70% who marry are not virgins.

You get the idea. Plenty of things in God's plan need adjusting to better fit with the world. The same with women in church-at-large leadership. We all know women of remarkable ability. Women that could almost assuredly do a better job than sitting or hopeful presidents of today. I know I'd vote for them!

But for the church, it seems God does not at all consult the human economy. He tells us to GIVE in order to receive...to turn the other cheek...to believe before you see...that works don't save us...on and on. So many things that the world does so very differently.

You would think that as important and as crucial as women are in the secular AND RELIGIOUS arenas, the answer to women in leadership in the church would almost be tautological. But it is anything but clear!

We all acknowledge the impossible debt the church owes to our women. No other demographic comes close to their drive and energy. As a pastor, there was a time in my youth when I thought preaching and altar calls were the essentials of it all. Then I became a pastor and found that without my wife (and the other women), very little graciousness remains. No Children's Church, Sunday School, fellowship opportunities, homecomings, etc. The Father spoke oh, so, true when He spoke of women being a "help meet" to her husband! What glorious harmony is possible because of God's plan to put us together!

And yet...and yet....

Still the Father did not put this supremely talented creature over the sometimes less able husband....

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 4/5/16 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/5/16 10:17 am

Post Cojak
From the pew, this does not phase me. I accept the idea of Women in ministry and do not think there should be any difference, but that is from an uneducated neophyte on the subject.

I said that to say, HOWEVER, doesn't this statement run contrary to the Church of God present stand. And the stand of the General Assembly? Confused

How can this be? Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/5/16 10:19 am

Post Re: The "change" often starts in academia or other areas of denominational influence. Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
And yet...and yet....

Still the Father did not put this supremely talented creature over the sometimes less able husband....

TO BE CONTINUED

Okay I have just sent this to my wife to decipher and rightly divide. Very Happy She is a great fan of yours. BTW thanks for the phone call checking on my surgery recovery!

This is a well written response to the OP, Thanks. We will discuss it. Wink
4/5/16 10:31 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Only thing a feller can say is "neither male nor female." Acts-pert Poster
4/5/16 11:20 am

Post Da Sheik
I don't understand the obsession with this topic. I am a male who has a female doctor. She is better and more thorough than any male doctor I've ever had. She's highly intelligent and I hope my insurance never requires me to change primary physicians.

Having said that, she is not qualified to be my pastor because the bible prohibits it. No matter how intelligent, well-spoken, or kind- hearted she is, she can never be the "husband of one wife". At least not in the sense as we biblically define that phrase.
Acts Enthusiast
4/5/16 1:45 pm

Post UncleJD
Da Sheik wrote:
I don't understand the obsession with this topic. I am a male who has a female doctor. She is better and more thorough than any male doctor I've ever had. She's highly intelligent and I hope my insurance never requires me to change primary physicians.

Having said that, she is not qualified to be my pastor because the bible prohibits it. No matter how intelligent, well-spoken, or kind- hearted she is, she can never be the "husband of one wife". At least not in the sense as we biblically define that phrase.

So a pastor has to be married?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/5/16 2:16 pm

Post Re: Lee Theology Department Statement on... skinnybishop
Christopher Stephenson wrote:
Women in Ministry.

I am proud of my colleagues in the Department of Theology, who recently adopted the below statement affirming the Department's support for women in ministry. At times, I am especially excited to be part of the Department of Theology, and this is one of those times.

"The Department of Theology supports the full participation of women in all vocations of the church. We affirm that God the Father incorporates persons into the body of his Son Jesus Christ and pours out the Holy Spirit upon them without discriminating according to their sex. We affirm that God calls women to every activity, office, and level of ordination in the church. We both renounce any restrictions on the ministry of women based solely on their sex and commit ourselves to the removal of any such restrictions. Finally, we strive to provide a learning atmosphere in which women can find their voices and discern, understand, and pursue their many indispensable vocations."

Interesting. I think the Department of Theology has the right to express their opinion and position. But I have a problem with them announcing, as a department, the specific mission of removing ministry restrictions on women. I think the Department of Theology should teach, not go on crusades and draw battle lines, no matter the issue at hand. The Department has decided to draw a line in the sand by stating "We renounce any restrictions on the ministry of women". At the present time, that body has renounced a portion of the Minutes of the General Assembly of the Church of God.

Its not about wanting to see women bishops...its about announcing a mission in conflict with the denomination and that seems to be beyond the scope of an academic department that concerns me.

Last edited by skinnybishop on 4/5/16 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Acts Enthusiast
4/5/16 2:20 pm

Post Re: Lee Theology Department Statement on... skinnybishop
Women in Ministry.

To whom is this statement directed? Also, I am curious about one thing. How will the Department work to remove restrictions on women in ministry, particularly if those restrictions are established by the Minutes of the General Assembly?
4/5/16 2:32 pm

Post Change Agent
Minutes have been known to change and will you embrace them after change like you do before change? Lets just close Lee down for supporting such heresy. Acts Enthusiast
4/5/16 3:35 pm

Post Really, that's all ... Mat
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Only thing a feller can say is "neither male nor female."

Really, that's all you can say OTCP?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/5/16 4:40 pm

Post Da Sheik
I have no interest in debating this. I would never sit under a woman pastor. Not because she is inferior as a person but because she is biblically disqualified. I really wonder about some of you guys. I think your bible must read "husbands obey your wives in all things". It has nothing to do with gender discrimination. Acts Enthusiast
4/5/16 4:54 pm

Post UncleJD
Da Sheik wrote:
I have no interest in debating this. I would never sit under a woman pastor. Not because she is inferior as a person but because she is biblically disqualified. I really wonder about some of you guys. I think your bible must read "husbands obey your wives in all things". It has nothing to do with gender discrimination.

So every pastor has to be married? Its a simple question.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/5/16 4:55 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Dr. Christopher, son, you done stirred up a hornets nest now. Laughing Acts-pert Poster
4/5/16 5:48 pm

Post Where is this Found mytwocents
Where and when was this statment made/published etc.?
i can find no reference to it on th Lee Univ. website nor the Dept. of Theology
FB page.
Acts-celerater
4/5/16 6:00 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Like the COG could close down Lee. Funny. Acts-pert Poster
4/5/16 7:39 pm

Post Re: Lee Theology Department Statement on... Nature Boy Florida
Women in Ministry.

I need more context of where this will be published. I have a problem with a dept committing themselves to removal of restrictions that the governing body of the church deems scriptural. Not sure that it is done in a vacuum...as it would seem the administration must have given them tacit approval. While I agree with them in this instance..not sure town I would feel if they committed themselves to change something i didn't agree with.

Last edited by Nature Boy Florida on 4/5/16 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
4/5/16 8:39 pm

Post To Nature Boy mytwocents
Exactly and bingo!
I probably would vote with such an issue were it brought before the Assembly.
However, the perception this gives me is one of arrogant educators thumbing their nose at a governing body.
I sensed the same arrogance form PTS faculty at assemblies where the issue was debated and voted on and since i have encouraged people NOT to attend nor support PTS. It is not the issue, it is the arrogance.
Acts-celerater
4/5/16 8:50 pm

Post To Eddie mytwocents
Actually the Church of God COULD quite easily shut Lee down. They wont, but they could.
First all the property of Lee is actually property of the Church of God.
Second, while the President is selected by the BOD of Lee, the BOD is selected every two years by the COG executive committee.
Acts-celerater
4/5/16 8:52 pm

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Dr. Christopher, son, you done stirred up a hornets nest now. Laughing

I am sure Bro Christopher knows that. (doesn't he?)
4/5/16 9:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.