Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
@actscelerate Twitter  @actscelerate Facebook  @actscelerate Google+ 

Jesus' Seamless Robe Proof that He was RICH? Ludicrous!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
   Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Jesus' Seamless Robe Proof that He was RICH? Ludicrous!!!!!!! Old Time Country Preacher
More than a few woffies cite the seamless robe of Jesus, that the soldiers cast lots for, was a sign that Jesus was rich. They say he had to be rich to wear such a robe. This is absolutely false and ludicrous.

Chrysostom wrote that the detail is added to shew “the poorness of the Lord’s garments, and that in dress, as in all other things, He followed a simple fashion.”

Westcott, B. F., & Westcott, A. (Eds.). (1908). The Gospel according to St. John Introduction and notes on the Authorized version (p. 275). London: J. Murray.


This type of garment could be made by an ordinary weaver, so it need not have been expensive.

Newman, B. M., & Nida, E. A. (1993). A handbook on the Gospel of John (p. 587). New York: United Bible Societies.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
3/20/16 10:28 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post diakoneo
I had a conversation with some church people the other day with this nonsense. Someone on TBN (John Hagee) was preaching along those lines.

This stuff amazes me. I did set them straight on it though. Let them know it was a common garment.

The idea they got was that it was so valuable that the soldiers gambled for it. Of course it was a seamless piece and that was the reason. Clothes in general were much more valuable to these folks. They didn't have a closet full they didn't wear like we do. Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
Posts: 3196
3/20/16 10:35 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
diakoneo wrote:
I had a conversation with some church people the other day with this nonsense. Someone on TBN (John Hagee) was preaching along those lines.


Yep, Hagee, John Avanzini, an a host a others preach it.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
3/20/16 10:39 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Folks, we women were really coming up in the world when they came out with seamless pantyhose. The confusion about the robe being special is understandable.
I'm amazed if I see a can for food that doesn't have a little seam down one side. I'm trying to imagine exactly how one would go about weaving a robe with no seam.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
3/20/16 11:06 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
I'm trying to imagine exactly how one would go about weaving a robe with no seam.


This type of garment could be made by an ordinary weaver, so it need not have been expensive.

Newman, B. M., & Nida, E. A. (1993). A handbook on the Gospel of John (p. 587). New York: United Bible Societies.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
3/20/16 11:49 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Ole Timer, I read it the first time, and I am not disputing the cost of the robe. Just as a person who has in prior times actually constructed garments myself and who has seen weaving demonstrations in person, I do have a little intellectual curiosity about how one would go about it.

Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
I'm trying to imagine exactly how one would go about weaving a robe with no seam.


This type of garment could be made by an ordinary weaver, so it need not have been expensive.

Newman, B. M., & Nida, E. A. (1993). A handbook on the Gospel of John (p. 587). New York: United Bible Societies.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
3/21/16 7:12 am


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post DrDuck
I do not preach that Jesus was necessarily rich. But I cannot be certain enough to insist that he was impoverished.

I do not offer this as any kind of defense of the WOF teachers, but just something I have wondered about from time to time. I read from the Bible that he was visited by wise men who regarded him as a king. I also find that they brought him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. If they thought him a king and brought him kingly gifts, seems to me they would have delivered a "king's ransom" in the value presented. I am not sure how much that is, but I am willing to speculate that it was a great deal. Perhaps enough to insure that he would never qualify as genuinely poor.
Acts-celerater
Posts: 750
3/21/16 8:42 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Folks, we women were really coming up in the world when they came out with seamless pantyhose. The confusion about the robe being special is understandable.
I'm amazed if I see a can for food that doesn't have a little seam down one side. I'm trying to imagine exactly how one would go about weaving a robe with no seam.

The circular knit/weave machines have been around for years, I HEAR. The weaving is done vertically rather than flat. I would imagine the robe would have been a little more expensive than the ones with a seam. Maybe it ws given by an admirer or follower.

Anyway, I think many of the robes were just one piece of cloth Wrapped around the body and would have been seamless. However the idea of seamless must have had SOME significance. Shocked
_________________
Some facts but mostly just my opinion!
jacsher@aol.com
http://shipslog-jack.blogspot.com/
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
Posts: 22193
3/21/16 9:03 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post diakoneo
DrDuck wrote:
I do not preach that Jesus was necessarily rich. But I cannot be certain enough to insist that he was impoverished.

I do not offer this as any kind of defense of the WOF teachers, but just something I have wondered about from time to time. I read from the Bible that he was visited by wise men who regarded him as a king. I also find that they brought him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. If they thought him a king and brought him kingly gifts, seems to me they would have delivered a "king's ransom" in the value presented. I am not sure how much that is, but I am willing to speculate that it was a great deal. Perhaps enough to insure that he would never qualify as genuinely poor.


I do not think he was impoverished either. He was a carpenter by trade as His earthly father was. Being the Son of God and a carpenter why would we think He would be impoverished? He said, "the poor you will have with you always, but me..."
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
Posts: 3196
3/21/16 9:26 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Cojak
One thing for sure, he did not own or live in a mansion, so I doubt if a seamless robe indicated wealth. Smile

He dd not live at #1 East Main St, Jerusalem. No prestigious address, not even a bed much less a large home. Embarassed
_________________
Some facts but mostly just my opinion!
jacsher@aol.com
http://shipslog-jack.blogspot.com/
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
Posts: 22193
3/21/16 9:40 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:
No prestigious address, not even a bed much less a large home. Embarassed


You just disputed what John Hagee preaches on this one, Cojak. But you, my brother, are 100% correct................not John Hagee.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
3/21/16 10:25 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Thanks, Cojak. I'm still getting hung up on the SLEEVES. But maybe it didn't have sleeves. Anyway, interesting.


Cojak wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Folks, we women were really coming up in the world when they came out with seamless pantyhose. The confusion about the robe being special is understandable.
I'm amazed if I see a can for food that doesn't have a little seam down one side. I'm trying to imagine exactly how one would go about weaving a robe with no seam.

The circular knit/weave machines have been around for years, I HEAR. The weaving is done vertically rather than flat. I would imagine the robe would have been a little more expensive than the ones with a seam. Maybe it ws given by an admirer or follower.

Anyway, I think many of the robes were just one piece of cloth Wrapped around the body and would have been seamless. However the idea of seamless must have had SOME significance. Shocked
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
3/21/16 10:44 am


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: Jesus' Seamless Robe Proof that He was RICH? Ludicrous!!!!!!! LonghornFan
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
More than a few woffies cite the seamless robe of Jesus, that the soldiers cast lots for, was a sign that Jesus was rich. They say he had to be rich to wear such a robe. This is absolutely false and ludicrous.

Chrysostom wrote that the detail is added to shew “the poorness of the Lord’s garments, and that in dress, as in all other things, He followed a simple fashion.”

Westcott, B. F., & Westcott, A. (Eds.). (1908). The Gospel according to St. John Introduction and notes on the Authorized version (p. 275). London: J. Murray.


This type of garment could be made by an ordinary weaver, so it need not have been expensive.

Newman, B. M., & Nida, E. A. (1993). A handbook on the Gospel of John (p. 587). New York: United Bible Societies.


I am not agreeing with the comments that you are attempting to dispute. However, what makes the commentators that you quote more credible than John Hagee? Why should their assessment have more validity than the opposing opinion? There is no exegesis of the scripture, just one persons interpretive opinion verses another's opinion.
Friendly Face
Posts: 109
3/21/16 12:58 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Not common... renewal
To understand some of these things you must go into the world in which Jesus lived..

For example..A Rabbi must do and live up to a certain standard..One of those standards was dress..

A Rabbi could not have clots of dirt on their shoes..If they did it was a disgrace..

A Rabbi warning dirty clothes was worthy of death..

A Rabbi must eat and drink according to their means..

A Rabbi Must lodge and dress above them..

A robe like Jesus wore was only worn by very rich people because it was weaved in a certain way. The value was expressed at the cross when the solders wanted to own it..If it was common they never would have cast lots to own it..Why would they?

There are other rules for Rabbi's during the time of Jesus..

Look them up in Shabbat 120a Or Edersheim, Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah 427-429

Those are the facts...
Have you ever wondered why things were done in certain ways?
Acts Enthusiast
Posts: 1019
3/21/16 1:02 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Quote:
The value was expressed at the cross when the solders wanted to own it..If it was common they never would have cast lots to own it..Why would they?


If you just executed a controversial person, you might want a souvenir. There could be other reasons besides intrinsic worth of the item.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
3/21/16 1:20 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Another point to make is that even if Jesus had been gifted a particularly nice robe, it doesn't follow that he was rich. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
3/21/16 1:21 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Bonnie.. renewal
You are missing the point...

We are talking about the custom of the day..Understand that fact..

The soldiers cared less about him, it was just another days work..

They were not on Star Search..

The custom ruled the day in those times..

I am not saying he was rich, I am saying the custom of the day ruled..

And it did..

When a person understands these facts a whole new understanding opens up.

The culture mattered...
Acts Enthusiast
Posts: 1019
3/21/16 1:34 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Da Sheik
bonnie knox wrote:
Folks, we women were really coming up in the world when they came out with seamless pantyhose.


Bonnie, I have no idea what seamless pantyhose are but I'm glad that women gained some footing Laughing

Regarding Jesus's wealth, let's apply the same logic when citing other examples. We also know that Jesus gave Peter instructions to go fishing so that they could pay the temple tax. When it came time to feed the five thousand men (and countless women and children ) Philip was perplexed at how they would ever acquire enough wages to feed the multitudes. I could go on, but I won't.
Acts Enthusiast
Posts: 1514
3/21/16 3:40 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
2 Corinthians 8:9
For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
3/21/16 4:05 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
renewal, tell me this, did the custom of the day dictate that the soldiers only took expensive garments or did they take any and all garments?

Quote:
We are talking about the custom of the day..Understand that fact..

The soldiers cared less about him, it was just another days work..

They were not on Star Search..

The custom ruled the day in those times..
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
3/21/16 4:08 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Acts-celerate Terms of Use | Acts-celerate Policy
World News Network | Acts-celerate Chat
Contact the Administrator.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.