Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

The young woman said, "Hello Chaplain. I'd like you to meet my wife."

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The young woman said, "Hello Chaplain. I'd like you to meet my wife." doyle
Most of the people we meet at the hospital, are just regular, everyday folks. Doing "Gurney Ministry" in the ER (about 90 ambulances a day arrive at our hospital), doesn't allow for a lot of time to do much more than attempt to be there for them in their time of trauma, and be with their family members.

Every now and then, the ER and ICU has slowed down somewhat and I get to visit patients in their room. When I walk in the door, I have no idea who is in there, what they believe or what their lifestyle is.

I had visited a young woman several times. She is an absolute sweetheart. She's outgoing, vivacious and positive about getting through the hurt she experienced in an accident. During those visits, I had built a repore with her until she felt comfortable talking to me.

From her end of the spectrum, she had never seen me until I made the first visit to her room. At that time, she had no idea what I believe or what my attitude is concerning life, love and labor.

When I entered her room for a third visit, she looked up, smiled and with a warm greeting said, "Hello Chaplain, I'd like you to meet my wife."
A lovely young woman stood and shook my hand, but she was watching my face to see what kind of reaction I would make.

Listen, I am someone who believes the Bible is God's Word. I make no excuse about that and at no time do I seek to compromise what the Bible says. But neither of those precious young women are where I am in knowledge of Scripture. I'm at this point after nearly a lifetime of being in church and studying the Scripture. So, at first, I need to start where they are, not where I am.

If for example, someone earns a Master's Degree from OTCP's on-line School of Higher Yearning, or from an accredited University, if that student was hired to teach the First Grade, neither he or she would expect those First Graders to be at their level educationally. A wise teacher would begin where those little students are and lead them along to higher knowledge.

So, when I meet someone who is involved in a lifestyle that is not conducive to Scripture, a lifestyle which I may disagree with, I need to begin at their point of understanding, not mine. I completely agree that God brings people into our path, so my first reaction to those I meet, even those with whom I disagree, is to treat them kindly.

Kindness is not compromise. I do not compromise. If someone asks me a question about a particular issue in the Bible, I share as kindly as possible what Scripture says. But I make every effort to build a kind relationship with them before delving into what is wrong with their outlook in life.

It seldom happens, but when it does, I am still shocked when a woman introduces me to her wife, or a man to his husband. But if I respond by saying, "Are you kidding!!," the open door to their life is slammed shut.

I pray each morning and ask the Lord to guide me to those whom He knows is open to receiving a visit from me. I want them to remember that a minister came by and was kind to them.

The Bible says Jesus "was a friend of sinners." All have sinned so it is nearly impossible to meet someone who has not or is not sinning in some way. I think when Scripture says that Jesus was a friend to sinners, it did not mean he was comfortable with their lifestyle or that he condoned it or compromised. It means that they were comfortable being around him.

When I'm with people who are involved in lifestyles with which I disagree, I am not trying to scheme out a way to condemn them. I'm there to be kind, to be loving with no strings attached. I'm not with them ONLY if they confess their sin. I'm there to be kind and loving. When I do that, it is amazing how many doors swing open wide to minister in prayer, or maybe begin a dialogue about spiritual things, about life and eternal life.

I am amazed how many times someone in a worldly lifestyle will say, "Chaplain, thank you for coming to see me. Will you come back when you can?" Oh yes, if the door is open to share Christ and the Gospel, I do, but first, I am there to be present and supportive during their time in the hospital. Unless they come to trust me, they will never hear a word I say about faith, heaven, salvation and eternity.

Here in a nutshell is what I'm trying to say: First, establish a kind and loving repore with people. Unless they begin to trust us with their personal thoughts and fears, they will not trust nor receive from us what we have to say about our precious Lord.

When the young woman introduced me to her "wife," I greeted her by saying, "Hello, my name is Doyle. What's yours?" She told me and we three chatted together for a time about the patient's health and hope of getting out of the hospital soon. As time approached for me to leave the room, I said, "Is it OK if I keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers today? I'm glad I was able to meet you and for us to speak together."

Astonishingly, both young women reached out for my hand and said, "Thank you Chaplain. We would be glad to be in your prayers."

The door to their heart had opened and as the Lord Jesus guides me, my presence with those precious young women, may be a major help to them now and for eternity. I so much pray that is true.

Doyle
2/28/16 9:37 pm

Post Cojak
Some positions in life are tough. I like this entry.

Doyle, I appreciate your stand, most especially I appreciate the statement:

Kindness is not compromise! THANKS!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/28/16 11:34 pm

Post Re: The young woman said, "Hello Chaplain. I'd like you to meet my wife." Old Time Country Preacher
doyle wrote:
If for example, someone earns a Master's Degree from OTCP's on-line School of Higher Yearning, or from an accredited University, if that student was hired to teach the First Grade, neither he or she would expect those First Graders to be at their level educationally.

Just two points of clarification, Doyle.

1. OTCP has never demeaned/belittled/criticized legitimate "online" education. If a school is properly accredited, an online degree is just as valid as one earned on campus.

2. If a feller got him a master's degree from a mill, he would be on the same level educationally as a "First Grader."
Acts-pert Poster
2/29/16 12:00 am

Post OTCP doyle
Unless I'm missing something, in the above thread, I didn't say anything about OTCP demeaning/belittling/criticizing legitimate "online" education.

I thought you would like my reference to "OTCP'S Online School Of Higher Yearning."

Doyle
2/29/16 6:05 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic