Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you plead the blood?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do you plead the blood? caseyleejones
If so....

1) why do you do it?

2) is there scriptural grounds for such?

I know there are old testament examples of killing of animals and sprinkling of blood. But did any of the NT writers do such?

All serious questions....
Acts-perienced Poster
2/5/16 6:37 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I only plead the blood when asking forgiveness from the Lord. I don't find any evidence for pleading the blood as if it conveys some kind of mystical guarantee that I won't get into an accident or that my kids won't backslide. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/5/16 7:03 pm

Post This issue discussed previously (L) maqqebet
http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=75245&highlight=osborne

Praying in Jesus name is sufficient.
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
2/5/16 7:34 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I only plead the blood when asking forgiveness from the Lord. I don't find any evidence for pleading the blood as if it conveys some kind of mystical guarantee that I won't get into an accident or that my kids won't backslide.

Amen.
2/5/16 8:43 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
The phrase isn't used by anyone in the Bible. We don't repent to the blood, pray to the blood, intercede through the blood, pray for the sick via the blood. We pray to Jesus. We repent to Jesus. We intercede via Jesus. We pray for the sick in the name of Jesus. The blood is applied to a sinner's life upon repentance to the Father through Jesus. I find no biblical evidence to use the phrase "I plead the blood" in regard to anything. Acts-pert Poster
2/5/16 9:23 pm

Post Pleading Blood - response to Hayford maqqebet
Pleading the Blood

I read with interest Jack Hayford’s teaching regarding “Pleading the Blood,” and was particularly intrigued when I discovered he drew his support for pleading the blood from the first Passover experience recorded in Exodus.

Based upon the Israelite experience, Hayford appears to make a compelling case for his position. He denies it is a “magic formula of words” but is a “spiritual dynamic” that is being applied. He writes,
Quote:
“The power of the blood of Jesus Christ is greater than both the energy of our own humanity and that of our Adversary. The power that saves is also the power that releases, delivers, and neutralizes the enterprises of hell and the weakness of the flesh. The appropriation of the power of the Blood in tough situations is intended for every believer in Christ to know, to understand, and to employ.”

He concludes by suggesting pleading the blood of Jesus is a heaven-given resource and to be utilized much like an attorney presenting his case. He writes he utilizes pleading the blood when facing “demonic, physical, or personal attack, condemnation of the temptation to sin.”

There is at least one issue I would like to address: There is not one reference to the Gospels, to Jesus’ teachings, or the Apostolic Faith as encapsulated in the epistles. Not one New Testament passage is used to support the practice of pleading the blood.

If my survey of Paul’s writings is correct, the Apostle made seven references to “the blood” of Jesus and not one mildly suggests support for pleading the blood. In fact, one passage makes a important distinction:

Quote:
Much more then, having now been justified by/in His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. - Romans 5:9-11

Here and other passages in Paul’s epistles (and in Hebrews) the emphasis is upon the effect of the blood in the life of the believer. There is no stand-alone emphasis upon the “power of the blood” other than our redemption, justification, sanctification, and our position in Christ. It is through the sacrifice/blood of Jesus that we have sins forgiven and we are reconciled with God.

Rather than emphasizing a Crucified Christ, Paul points to a Resurrected Savior and the believer’s newness in relationship and newness in life through Jesus’ resurrection.

If we are confronted with the demonic, under physical and personal attack, or feeling condemnation and the temptation to sin, the appeal is not presenting a legal case before God but to call upon the name of Jesus, our advocate with the Father. If believers are already in a right relationship with God (justified and saved from God’s wrath, redeemed from sin, sanctified) then the appeal is not based upon a legal technicality but upon relationship - as one of God’s children.

Is there “power in the blood” of Jesus? Certainly:

1 Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Would you o'er evil a victory win?
There's wonderful power in the blood.

Chorus:
There is power, power, wonder working power
In the blood of the Lamb.
There is power, power. wonder working power
In the precious blood of the Lamb.

2 Would you be free from your passion and pride?
Come for a cleansing to Calvary's tide;
There's wonderful power in the blood.[Chorus]

3 Would you be whiter, much whiter than snow?
Sin stains are lost in its life giving flow;

4 Would you do service for Jesus your King?
Would you live daily His praises to sing?

- “There is Power in the Blood,” Lewis E. Jones (1899)

1 What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Refrain:
O precious is the flow
that makes me white as snow;
no other fount I know;
nothing but the blood of Jesus.

2 For my pardon this I see:
For my cleansing this my plea:
nothing but the blood of Jesus. [Refrain]

3 Nothing can for sin atone:
Naught of good that I have done:

4 This is all my hope and peace:
This is all my righteousness:

“Nothing but the Blood,” Robert Lowry (1876)
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
2/6/16 9:29 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
The phrase isn't used by anyone in the Bible. We don't repent to the blood, pray to the blood, intercede through the blood, pray for the sick via the blood. We pray to Jesus. We repent to Jesus. We intercede via Jesus. We pray for the sick in the name of Jesus. The blood is applied to a sinner's life upon repentance to the Father through Jesus. I find no biblical evidence to use the phrase "I plead the blood" in regard to anything.

Amen.

Sometimes we seem to separate Jesus' blood from Jesus himself, as if though there is literal blood out there somewhere in the spirit realm that drives out demons, heals sick bodies and washes away sin.
2/7/16 10:46 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I have great respect for Hayford, and I can see the premise he sets forth; however, Maq is correct here. There is not one NT example or scriptural reference to defend using the phrase "I plead the blood over (whatever the need may be)." That said, this doesn't mean it is wrong/sinful to say those words, but it does mean that there is not one ounce of special power, significance, import, ability, dunamis, additional force, might, strength, revelatory insight, etc., in using the words. Acts-pert Poster
2/7/16 2:36 pm

Post diakoneo
I have great respect for Hayford, and I can see the premise he sets forth; however, Maq is correct here. There is not one NT example or scriptural reference to defend using the phrase "I plead the blood over (whatever the need may be)." That said, this doesn't mean it is wrong/sinful to say those words, but it does mean that there is not one ounce of special power, significance, import, ability, dunamis, additional force, might, strength, revelatory insight, etc., in using the words.

I heard a church of God evangelist say that Christ went to heaven and took His blood with Him and put it on the mercy seat of the tabernacle that Moses made a type of.

There is a lot of this kind of teaching out there. Making the literal blood of Jesus what it is about. I have heard messages talking about the soldiers getting His blood on them and things happening. Someone even said that Christ was hung on a cross above where the old ark of the covenant was buried and His blood flowed onto that.

Tradition and myth, but the Truth and the Life; Christ Himself is at the right hand of God the Father making intercession for us.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/7/16 3:28 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
diakoneo wrote:
I have great respect for Hayford, and I can see the premise he sets forth; however, Maq is correct here. There is not one NT example or scriptural reference to defend using the phrase "I plead the blood over (whatever the need may be)." That said, this doesn't mean it is wrong/sinful to say those words, but it does mean that there is not one ounce of special power, significance, import, ability, dunamis, additional force, might, strength, revelatory insight, etc., in using the words.

I heard a church of God evangelist say that Christ went to heaven and took His blood with Him and put it on the mercy seat of the tabernacle that Moses made a type of.

There is a lot of this kind of teaching out there. Making the literal blood of Jesus what it is about. I have heard messages talking about the soldiers getting His blood on them and things happening. Someone even said that Christ was hung on a cross above where the old ark of the covenant was buried and His blood flowed onto that.

Tradition and myth, but the Truth and the Life; Christ Himself is at the right hand of God the Father making intercession for us.

A priest had to bring blood his sins and the people's sins in order to enter into the Holy of Holies. Christ has entered for us Heb 9:24 says....

Quote:
“For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:”

The "true" the writer speaks of is Heaven (in God's presence) which was typified by the Holy of Holies. He did not need to bring blood because he was sinless and "when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high" (Heb 1:3). He had no need to bring any blood for himself and his blood had already made atonement for the sins of the world.
2/7/16 3:55 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Tom Sterbens wrote:
To me I think it is semantics, although the phrase, "I plead the blood" is not specific terminology I use.

I re-read Hayford's article and think the sequence of thought is laid out well and has pretty sound theological premise. Here's what I mean...

First - The judicial aspect of covenant in general in the Ancient Near East is really irrefutable. It is very much legal language of a court of law and meant to be understood as such.

Next - Paul would have held that to be true.

Next - The language of 1 Cor 11 involving the Table of the Lord invokes a sort of legal equation (and penalty) for failing to assess the full "worth" of the body and blood of Jesus Christ as the Corinthians were celebrating in the meal.

Next - Additionally the language of Matthew 16 regarding the foundation of The Church is a similar type of Rabbinical contractual language involving the rights to "make binding" the Words of Christ and representative agency of the King/Kingdom. Again - judicial language.

Next - When Paul uses the terms blood, cross, death (of Christ), etc. they are all metonyms of each other generally referring to the same thing. (Further, justice/justification/righteous/righteousness is uniquely Jewish law court language).

The point being...to say something IN A PRAYER like, "I make my plea (prayer, intercession) on the basis of the blood of Jesus," is no more foreign than to pray reminding God that we are making our request on the basis that He is my Father. At least Jesus seemed to think it was OK.

A lot more can be said...

Great post. A great explanation.
2/7/16 5:53 pm

Post Link
We pray to Jesus.

I pray to the Father in Jesus' name. That's what Jesus taught the disciples to do. The only thing similar to praying to Jesus I can think of in the Bible is when Stephen asked the Lord Jesus to receive his spirit, but He was seeing Him in a vision.
2/7/16 10:22 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Link wrote:
We pray to Jesus.

I pray to the Father in Jesus' name. That's what Jesus taught the disciples to do. The only thing similar to praying to Jesus I can think of in the Bible is when Stephen asked the Lord Jesus to receive his spirit, but He was seeing Him in a vision.

But since God is in Christ, the only way to pray to the Father is to pray to Jesus. God channels it all through his Son.
2/8/16 3:47 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic