Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

COG leadership differences
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post COG leadership differences clevelandgrad
What about these individuals made us elect them? Why will we elect them again?

Mark Williams - very educated, very well spoken, very deliberate in his actions, great preacher at times, great at crisis management, seems a little distant from the average member. What else?
David Griffis- don't know anything about him, please advise.
J. David Stephens - very well spoken, very methodical in his actions, very good preacher, great track record in the states he has served, great at turning around state finances. What else?
Wallace Sibley- great preacher, what else?
Tim Hill- good preacher, great at raising funds, has an old Pentecostal attitude about him, ...........what else?
M. Thomas Propes- meticulous about his hair and mustache, don't know much about him, please advise.
Kevin Wallace - great preacher, can relate to all crowds, successful pastor, outspoken, what else?
Raymond Culpepper- Former GO, SO, great pastor of a large church, good preacher, seemingly had some bad things happen under his watch, what else?
David E. Ramirez- don't know much about him, please advise.
Bryan Cutshall successful pastor, good speaker, seems to bounce around too much, what else?
Victor Pagan- don't know much about him, please advise.
Thomas Madden great youth leader, good preacher, what else?
Oliver Mcmahan- very educated, great understanding of the COG, what else?
Bill Isaacs- Successful state bishop, successful SYD, has great ideas, can be a turn off to pastors because of his fee schedule. What else?
Dwight E. Allen, great pastor, what else?
Niko Njotorahardjo, great pastor, what else?
Nick Park, great pastor, successful church planter, outspoken, what else?
Chris Moody, great pastor, current state bishop, good preacher, what else?
Tony Stewart, pastor, what else?
David C. Cooper, great pastor, good speaker, seems like a movie star, what else?
Kip A. Box, pastor, what else?
Mark L. Walker- great pastor, good genetics, what else?
G. Dennis McGuire, international revivalist, former overseer, good preacher, what else?
Jimmy D. Smith, state overseer, good preacher, what else?

Last edited by clevelandgrad on 1/26/16 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hey, DOC
1/26/16 2:11 pm

Post georgiapath
That should bring them all out of the woodwork. Laughing Laughing Acts-dicted
1/26/16 2:41 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Clevelandgrad, welcome to Acts. Ya very first post an it deals with executive leadership in the COG.

I notice in ya assessment that some are "pastors," some are "successful pastors," some are "great preachers," while some are "great preachers at times," and one is meticulous about his hair.

Are these descriptives subjective?
Acts-pert Poster
1/26/16 2:53 pm

Post clevelandgrad
Mr OTCP,
Everything is subjective. I am asking these questions and giving my opinion on these great people so I can vote for the right reason instead of following the crowd. I say things about hair because it's all I know about the individual and as you may know little things like this have the tendency to make or change a persons opinion of someone.

I am hearing that Tim Hill is a guarantee for the next GO. Why? What has he done to deserve this honor?
1/26/16 3:06 pm

Post Re: COG leadership differences LonghornFan
[quote="clevelandgrad"]What about these individuals made us elect them? Why will we elect them again?

Mark Williams - very educated, very well spoken, very deliberate in his actions, great preacher at times, great at crisis management, seems a little distant from the average member. What else?

"Great preacher at times" Shocked I would say great preacher at ALL times.

David Griffis - Don know much about him, please advise.

Griffis is one of the greatest men of integrity in our movement. To the surprise of many, he is also one of the most educated men on our executive committee. A great administrator.

J. David Stephens - very well spoken, very methodical in his actions, very good preacher, great track record in the states he has served, great at turning around state finances. What else?

I am guessing that you are from Florida.

Bryan Cutshall - successful pastor, good speaker, seems to bounce around too much, what else?

He pastored the same church for almost 30 years. Wow! That is "bouncing around too much?" I would really be considered a church hopper! lol
Friendly Face
1/26/16 3:09 pm

Post Re: COG leadership differences clevelandgrad
[quote="LonghornFan"]
clevelandgrad wrote:
What about these individuals made us elect them? Why will we elect them again?

"Great preacher at times" Shocked I would say great preacher at ALL times.

David Griffis - Don know much about him, please advise.

Griffis is one of the greatest men of integrity in our movement. To the surprise of many, he is also one of the most educated men on our executive committee. A great administrator.

I am guessing that you are from Florida.

Bryan Cutshall - successful pastor, good speaker, seems to bounce around too much, what else?

He pastored the same church for almost 30 years. Wow! That is "bouncing around too much?" I would really be considered a church hopper! lol

Mr Longhorn Fan,
I remember Bishop Williams first sermon as GO, it was not that great. His last sermon at the GA was very good. nailed it in fact.
What makes Bishop Griffis a great administrator?
J David Stephens - prefer California
Bryan Cutshall - has moved around a lot since leaving the pastorate.
1/26/16 3:15 pm

Post Re: COG leadership differences mytimewillcome
clevelandgrad wrote:

I remember Bishop Williams first sermon as GO, it was not that great.

In your mind, what is a "great" sermon?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/26/16 4:43 pm

Post Longhorn fan... Aaron Scott
Good points.

Some of us prefer Ole Miss.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/26/16 5:41 pm

Post Amen tryingtofitin
clevelandgrad wrote:
Mr OTCP,
I am hearing that Tim Hill is a guarantee for the next GO. Why? What has he done to deserve this honor?

Well... He says he knows for fact that God taps His foot to southern gospel music... with such and inside view to the nature of God... I guess that would. Besides that... not much else....
Friendly Face
1/26/16 6:10 pm

Post Brandon Bohannon
Laughing

Don't feed the trolls!!!

Okay, I'll nibble a little...

I wish that we could lift tenure for now and keep Bishop Williams as our presiding bishop if for the only reason being: his fidelity to scripture and his leading the church of God in a revival of reading the Word and prayer. I am thankful for his spiritual leadership. I am a rural pastor in a central Texas town of 5,500 people and yet he took time out of I'm sure of what is a very busy schedule to visit with me--about as average a member as you get. As far as his preaching ability... we'll agree to disagree. I also love his usage of social media and the fact that he introduces himself as "pastor"--one of us.

As to Tim Hill, I'll start with the fact that he set aside some time in a very busy schedule (Dusty Wilson having surgery in Florida, Martin Taylor having such deep and personal losses) to attend my grandfather's funeral in Texas. He hasn't lost touch with his pastor's heart. He is a great preacher and singer yes but he is also a gifted administrator and fundraiser with a lot of experience with both. While I would be happy to keep Bishop Williams, I will gladly and confidently go vote for Tim Hill for next General Overseer of the COG.

Maybe it wasn't your intention but it seems like you took a few shots at some on your list. There are some I will consider voting for and some I will not. If you truly need help perhaps just saying "__________", what do you know about them? What would or maybe wouldn't make them a good candidate for __________? Just a thought and I hope that it helps.
Proverbs 3:5-6; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8
Acts-celerater
1/26/16 6:41 pm

Post Leadership Differences Restorationman
Dr. Tim Hill, is a creative contemporary administrative leader who knows how to connect the old and the new which is a mark of wisdom according to Matthew's gospel! Also, in his Administrative abilities it can be tracked through evangelistic work,successful pastorate siince the last couple of decades, state leadership, and international leadership! Also, as WM Director and former executive committee member he knows the church and has raised several thousand dollars through relationships in and out of the CHURCH OF GOD to help bring fiduciary stability in many areas of our church ! However, to his preaching style passion will never be out of style and to his communication skills and music abilities that would be to each his own ! I like the fact that he wants to bring everybody together and with various backgrounds styles and ministry concepts to perpetuate a Spirit filled community in a relevant way to reap a global harvest ! I would like to say to all of the other men that Have been mentioned they are wonderful as well! However, since he was singled out I thought I would bring to the forefront in my opinion some of the great leadership attributes he possesses ! I really believe if we will pray that God will help us in this upcoming General Assembly and the will of God will be accomplished! Friendly Face
1/26/16 6:42 pm

Post clevelandgrad
Mytimewillcome, In Bishop Williams first sermon as GO, he seemed very nervous and a bit unprepared. The second sermon, he was ready, relaxed and able to expound with what seemed as a stronger anointing.
As for my definition of a great sermon: One where the speaker is truly allowing the Spirit to operate through them.

Mr tyintofitin, thank you for your honesty - why do you say, not much else?

Mr Bohanan, what about my original post sounded like I "took a few shots"? Perception is real unless it can be proven wrong. My intent is to simply engage in true dialogue regarding our leadership.

Mr Restorationman, Your likes of Bishop Hill are evident in your response but does he relate to the up and coming generation of the COG/the 30 and under crowd? Will he take us backward?

Remember 15% TOT this crippled many churches. Remember that the vast majority of our pastors are over 40 our future is limited. Our GA is now only geared for the Bishops, our membership do not take part in these important gatherings anymore. Our missionaries are begging for the church to pay attention to them instead of the pet projects.

The majority of the COG membership have no idea who these men are and what qualifies them for these high offices. It's time our pastors stop following the crowd and really get to know those who are leading our denomination. Should we be looking at some new faces to lead us forward or should we continue to look at the old guard. No offense to these men but our front line leaders really need to be speaking for the heart of this great movement - the heart is not Cleveland it's the membership.
1/26/16 11:35 pm

Post UncleJD
clevelandgrad wrote:
Mytimewillcome, In Bishop Williams first sermon as GO, he seemed very nervous and a bit unprepared. The second sermon, he was ready, relaxed and able to expound with what seemed as a stronger anointing.

really?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/27/16 12:28 am

Post mytimewillcome
clevelandgrad wrote:

As for my definition of a great sermon: One where the speaker is truly allowing the Spirit to operate through them.

So to follow your logic: Pastor Mark Williams was not allowing the Spirit to operate through him in his first GA sermon?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/27/16 12:36 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
clevelandgrad wrote:
Everything is subjective...

Umm, I guess the answer to that is subjective, CG.
Acts-pert Poster
1/27/16 12:38 am

Post clevelandgrad
UncleJD wrote:
clevelandgrad wrote:

really?

Mr UncleJD and mytimewillcome, please allow me to unpack my thoughts on this phrase "stronger anointing". From watching preachers for years, I have learned that some are hindered by their lack of comfort with what the Spirit is doing at the moment. Often this lack of comfort is brought about by the circumstances at that time. For Bishop Williams first GA sermon, it is my opinion that his just announced election as GO may have not settled in yet. Standing in front of the crowd as the newly elected GO, I am sure his mind and emotions were running wild. His second GA sermon, he was comfortable, he had is finger on the pulse of what was going on in the COG, he understood the workings a little bit better and while standing in front of the group the second time he was more comfortable and could freely allow the Spirit to speak through him.

Let me say that I am a fan of Bishop Williams. I like what he has done and as previously stated, he has been able to push our movement forward during a great time of turbulence. My hope in this dialogue is to truly speak openly about our movement and our leadership without people taking it as "taking shots". When you are in leadership, you are open to scrutiny and if you cannot handle it, maybe, you should step aside.

Also, I have heard about this site for years and have always wondered about it. Is this site only for certain COG people or is it open to all COG people? What is being done to invite more of the COG movement to this discussion board?
1/27/16 8:38 am

Post Brandon Bohannon
Good morning Clevelandgrad.

Are you an Ordained Bishop?
Are you planning on being at the General Assembly to vote?

You used descriptions in your original post that are words of comparison: "pastor", "good preacher, "great pastor/preacher" in dealing with the established international leaders of our church family. Then you chose to comment on the physical appearance of at least two of them. As a "grad", surely you are intelligent enough to know that this would be read as a "shot" or troll attempt. I am 39 years old and will be 40 in April but I'm still young enough to know what that is. Very Happy

To the point: we definitely have an established leadership culture and to date it does favor in no particular order-- Cleveland, the Southeastern states, family history and Lee University. The Injoy report mentioned all of this so it shouldn't surprise us or even offend us. We are what we are. Within that rich history and culture there have been a lot of strong moments and wonderful people too. We are not perfect but we are family and one that I appreciate and love.

Who do you like, know and recommend to lead us forward? Lord willing, I will vote. Perhaps you know some people and information that I don't. Can you hook a brother up?
Acts-celerater
1/27/16 8:56 am

Post clevelandgrad
Mr Bohannon,

My position in this great movement should not matter. My descriptions along side each individual is how the average member and the non-member view our movement. The average individual does not understand the suited up individual who works for a large christian organization making a large salary. They are being compared to those who operate the larger corporations.

Have we become too heavenly/COG minded that we no longer view this movement from the eyes of what the world needs. These are merely view points and questions.

Mr Bohannon: do you view my post as an attack on the COG movement? If you do, you must view the worlds opinion of Church as a whole as an attack. Not sure what your role is in this movement but I wonder when was the last time you spent time with an addict or the homeless child in Los Angeles/NewYork/St. Louis/Miami? Do you defend these people as much as you defend this great family that you appreciate and love?

Sir,
I assure you that I am not trying to pick a fight or offend anyone. Are the front line leaders of the COG able to step back and take a long look at the world through the eyes of Christ? Are we able to put aside what we are comfortable with and go into the streets without it being a project that gets us some sort of affirmation from someone who is "important."

Mr Bohannon, who do you like? Give me their name and some true information on them so that I might be able to check them out. Maybe, you are someone who should be on elected to the leadership of this great movment?
1/27/16 9:25 am

Post Brandon Bohannon
clevelandgrad wrote:
Mr Bohannon,

My position in this great movement should not matter.

It doesn't. Position or title other than the fact that our polity only allows a vote by it's Ordained Bishops on these positions. I enjoy knowing the perspective of the person I am listening to. Just as you desire more info about the men in these positions, I desire to see what is in your heart.

My descriptions along side each individual is how the average member and the non-member view our movement. The average individual does not understand the suited up individual who works for a large christian organization making a large salary. They are being compared to those who operate the larger corporations.

You seem to know something of our organization but I am curious as to how you are able to so clearly define what the average individual thinks. I am an average individual. No one has asked me or polled me.

Have we become too heavenly/COG minded that we no longer view this movement from the eyes of what the world needs. These are merely view points and questions.

Mr Bohannon: do you view my post as an attack on the COG movement?

No. At least I can't really tell what you are doing yet.

If you do, you must view the worlds opinion of Church as a whole as an attack. Not sure what your role is in this movement but I wonder when was the last time you spent time with an addict or the homeless child in Los Angeles/NewYork/St. Louis/Miami? Do you defend these people as much as you defend this great family that you appreciate and love?

You opened by saying that your position doesn't matter, why does my personal experience matter? Anything I have done in life for His kingdom belongs to Him. He knows.

Sir,
I assure you that I am not trying to pick a fight or offend anyone.

Me either.

Are the front line leaders of the COG able to step back and take a long look at the world through the eyes of Christ? Are we able to put aside what we are comfortable with and go into the streets without it being a project that gets us some sort of affirmation from someone who is "important."

I love this. How do you suggest that we accomplish this?

Mr Bohannon, who do you like? Give me their name and some true information on them so that I might be able to check them out. Maybe, you are someone who should be on elected to the leadership of this great movment?

I like a lot of people. I am a nobody but I love Jesus and I love the little, loving, local church that I am a part of. I am also happy to be COG. We aren't perfect but it is where I have experienced Jesus and it is my family.
Very Happy Very Happy
Acts-celerater
1/27/16 9:44 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
My position in this great movement should not matter. My descriptions along side each individual is how the average member and the non-member view our movement.

Are you speaking for others or just your anonymous self? How do you know how "the average member" sees these people?
Why should non-member views influence who we choose to lead our organization?
If you want "open dialogue," why post under a pen name?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/27/16 9:49 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic