Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

When pastoring in New York, a lot of our people said "Two Corinthians."

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post When pastoring in New York, a lot of our people said "Two Corinthians." doyle
When Linda and I moved to New York in an attempt to rescue a COG that had dwindled to eight people following internal situations, we were surprised to find that many New York Christians said "Two Corinthians" instead of "Second Corinthians."

That was also true of "One John, Two John and Three John" or "Two Timothy instead of "Second Timothy." New York is not the Bible Belt where people may have gone to church since birth. Most had never heard Southern Gospel music, had almost no knowledge whatsoever of church history and little about the Bible.

In our area, demographics showed that 90 percent of the population was Catholic background, five percent were Jewish and the other five percent were all the rest of us lumped together.

Even though Linda and I always used "Second Corinthians" or "Second Timothy," our beloved New Yorkers continued to say "Two Corinthians."
The main point is, that for the first time ever, they were carrying a Bible and reading it. Our New Yorkers were some of the most dedicated and enthusiastic Christians we have ever met. It did not seem to bother God at all that they said "Two Corinthians."

Doyle
1/19/16 8:53 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
It did not seem to bother God at all that they said "Two Corinthians."

He probably just said, "Bless their hearts."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/19/16 8:55 am

Post UncleJD
Thanks for the insight Doyle. People are hard at work discrediting a Republican front runner again because they are looking for a pastor. We've been down this road a couple of times lately. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/19/16 9:29 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I'm not looking for a pastor in chief. I think the point of what Trump did was similar to Hillary talking with a Southern accent. Some call it "pandering." It's mostly funny, not discrediting to me. Acts-pert Poster
1/19/16 12:06 pm

Post UncleJD
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I'm not looking for a pastor in chief. I think the point of what Trump did was similar to Hillary talking with a Southern accent. Some call it "pandering." It's mostly funny, not discrediting to me.

It's amusing, but again, he's from NY so maybe he calls Psalms "Palms" too. I'm still hoping Ted Cruz can pull ahead, but if he doesn't we need to really be serious about whether we want another 8 years of the mess we're in today. I think we can all push for a different candidate for the next couple of months, but we really need to get ready and face the alternative. As much as I've said I don't want an "establishment" guy in there, if somehow Bush or Christie pull off a miracle, I'll hold my nose and vote for them and be glad I have a chance to prevent a catastrophe that will destroy not only our lives, but generations to come.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/19/16 12:37 pm

Post Link
I believe I've heard "Two Corinthians" or similar references to other books of the Bible from theologically educated British or Australian preachers.
1/19/16 9:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic