Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

First prosperity message recorded in Scripture...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post First prosperity message recorded in Scripture... maqqebet
Quote:
Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory; and he said to Him, "All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me. - Matthew 4:8

"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/16 2:06 am

Post Here's Some More! Aaron Scott
(Genesis 12:7 KJV) And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.

(Romans 8:32 KJV) He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

(1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV) But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. [Which, by the way, has not the slightest implication that its talking about heaven.]

(James 1:17 KJV) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

I don't base ANY of my beliefs about God blessing us on what men might say, since they can get it pretty twisted up with greed, etc. All I know is that as a father, I want my son to prosper. And if I, being evil, know how to give good things to my son, then HOW MUCH MORE...well, you know.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/16/16 7:08 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
A great chasm divides Maq's verse and Aaron's verses.

Biblical prosperity (provision) is biblical.

The emphases of the contemporary prosperity gospel are non-biblical, or better stated Scripture twisting.
Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 9:24 am

Post OTCP, there is no chasm Aaron Scott
The verses came from the same God. Or were you implying that God meant some verses and not others in the scriptures?

There is NO CHASM. What there is is your insistence that God does NOT really want us to be blessed to any remarkable degree.

The chasm is your willingness to believe that God would give His Only Son--EVERYTHING!--and then withhold from us other blessings.

Yes, there are folks that think God wants us to drive a Rolls, etc. I think most of us get that that something's wrong when it become a matter of greed. But He does want us to prosper. After all, He wouldn't be much of a father if that was not His desire for us, right? Doesn't mean we will prosper, but be unto you according to your faith.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/16/16 9:36 am

Post Re: OTCP, there is no chasm Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Yes, there are folks that think God wants us to drive a Rolls, etc. I think most of us get that that something's wrong when it become a matter of greed.

And this is what I'm referencing, Aaron. The notion that God gives to every single believer an over-abundance of materialism. It simply is not the case.
Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 9:44 am

Post Yes, Aaron, there is a great maqqebet
chasm between the two, even if both are found in the Scriptures:

I considered the passages you cited when I posted and anticipate some would take exception to my thought.

Yet, while both are found in the Scriptures, one records God's promises while the other records Satan's offer to Jesus, but Satan's enticement was false and not God's promises.

Did you miss it?

Quote:
Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory; and he said to Him, "All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me. - Matthew 4:8

There is no reference to God's blessings/promises to His Son or His children.
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/16 10:30 am

Post Re: Yes, Aaron, there is a great Old Time Country Preacher
maqqebet wrote:
chasm between the two, even if both are found in the Scriptures:

I considered the passages you cited when I posted and anticipate some would take exception to my thought.

Yet, while both are found in the Scriptures, one records God's promises while the other records Satan's offer to Jesus, but Satan's enticement was false and not God's promises.

Did you miss it?

Quote:

There is no reference to God's blessings/promises to His Son or His children.

Good stuff, Maq.
Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 11:45 am

Post Let's see what Jesus said brotherjames
Mark 10:29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.
Acts-celerater
1/16/16 2:52 pm

Post Re: Let's see what Jesus said Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
Mark 10:29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Very good, BJ, now lets read it in context.

1. Not once does Jesus say that the hundredfold would all be material. He speaks 5 to 1 of relationships.

2. How many WOF advocates, while yelling a hundredfold return, have "left house, brothers, sisters, father, mother, lands?" Some of em has left their wife/children, but I don't think Jesus was meanin if ya leave ya wife/children for another woman.

3. How many who constantly desire the hundredfold return, include "with persecutions" in the mix?
Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 2:58 pm

Post 1 John 3:2 brotherjames
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth

Hete is the Clark commentary on this verse.
I wish above all things] περιπαντωνευχομαι. Above all things I pray that thou mayest prosper, and be in health, και υγιαινειν. to which one MS. adds εναληθεια, which gives it a different meaning, viz., that thou mayest be sound in the truth. The prayer of St. John for Caius includes three particulars: 1. Health of body; 2. Health of soul; and 3. Prosperity in secular affairs. That thou mayest PROSPER and be in HEALTH, as thy SOUL PROSPERETH. These three things, so necessary to the comfort of life, every Christian may in a certain measure expect, and for them every Christian is authorized to pray; and we should have more of all three if we devoutly prayed for them. above all things] περιπαντωνευχομαι. Above all things I pray that thou mayest prosper, and be in health, και υγιαινειν. to which one MS. adds εναληθεια, which gives it a different meaning, viz., that thou mayest be sound in the truth. The prayer of St. John for Caius includes three particulars: 1. Health of body; 2. Health of soul; and 3. Prosperity in secular affairs. That thou mayest PROSPER and be in HEALTH, as thy SOUL PROSPERETH. These three things, so necessary to the comfort of life, every Christian may in a certain measure expect, and for them every Christian is authorized to pray; and we should have more of all three if we devoutly prayed for them.
Acts-celerater
1/16/16 3:00 pm

Post Re: 1 John 3:2 Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth

Hete is the Clark commentary on this verse.
I wish above all things] περιπαντωνευχομαι. Above all things I pray that thou mayest prosper, and be in health, και υγιαινειν. to which one MS. adds εναληθεια, which gives it a different meaning, viz., that thou mayest be sound in the truth. The prayer of St. John for Caius includes three particulars: 1. Health of body; 2. Health of soul; and 3. Prosperity in secular affairs. That thou mayest PROSPER and be in HEALTH, as thy SOUL PROSPERETH. These three things, so necessary to the comfort of life, every Christian may in a certain measure expect, and for them every Christian is authorized to pray; and we should have more of all three if we devoutly prayed for them. above all things] περιπαντωνευχομαι. Above all things I pray that thou mayest prosper, and be in health, και υγιαινειν. to which one MS. adds εναληθεια, which gives it a different meaning, viz., that thou mayest be sound in the truth. The prayer of St. John for Caius includes three particulars: 1. Health of body; 2. Health of soul; and 3. Prosperity in secular affairs. That thou mayest PROSPER and be in HEALTH, as thy SOUL PROSPERETH. These three things, so necessary to the comfort of life, every Christian may in a certain measure expect, and for them every Christian is authorized to pray; and we should have more of all three if we devoutly prayed for them.

John's wish to Gaius is merely a standard letter greeting of the day, just like if I wrote you, BJ, an said "I hope you an ya family is in good health." To build a doctrine of healing/prosperity on this verse is the foulest form of exegesis. But, this is exactly what Oral Roberts done. And he was wrong.
Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 3:03 pm

Post Very good otcp brotherjames
No one ever suggested that persecution would not come. I suppose some might but that certainly does not negate the word of God to bless us in this life NOW even to a hundredfold and in the NEXT life certainly. God is concerned with the here and now and desires His best for His children as any father would. I don't think a hundredfold is guaranteed but on the other hand if you have no expectations of any blessings that's likely what you will get. So, here's the deal, I will expect and receive the blessings God will give me and you expect nothing and you're pretty much guaranteed to get it. Acts-celerater
1/16/16 3:08 pm

Post Re: Very good otcp Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
No one ever suggested that persecution would not come. I suppose some might but that certainly does not negate the word of God to bless us in this life NOW even to a hundredfold and in the NEXT life certainly. God is concerned with the here and now and desires His best for His children as any father would. I don't think a hundredfold is guaranteed but on the other hand if you have no expectations of any blessings that's likely what you will get. So, here's the deal, I will expect and receive the blessings God will give me and you expect nothing and you're pretty much guaranteed to get it.

This is my thesis!
Acts-pert Poster
1/16/16 3:10 pm

Post Here's Barnes exposition on 1 John 3:2 brotherjames
And I'm only posting these so that you can see this property preaching you rail against has been engrained in Christian thought for centuries.

Beloved, I wish above all things - Margin, “pray.” The word used here commonly means in the New Testament to pray; but it is also employed to express a strong and earnest desire for anything, Act 27:29; Rom 9:3; 2Co 13:9 (refs3). This is probably all that is implied here. The phrase rendered “above all things” - περὶ πάντων peri pantōn - would be more correctly rendered here “concerning, or in respect to all things;” and the idea is, that John wished earnestly that “in all respects” he might have the same kind of prosperity which his soul had. The common translation “above all things” would seem to mean that John valued health and outward prosperity more than he did anything else; that he wished that more than his usefulness or salvation. This cannot be the meaning, and is not demanded by the proper interpretation of the original. See this shown by Lucke, in loc. The sense is, “In every respect, I wish that it may go as well with you as it does with your soul; that in your worldly prosperity, your comfort, and your bodily health, you may be as prosperous as you are in your religion.” This is the reverse of the wish which we are commonly constrained to express for our friends; for such is usually the comparative want of prosperity and advancement in their spiritual interests, that it is an expression of benevolence to desire that they might prosper in that respect as much as they do in others.

That thou mayest prosper - εὐοδοῦσθαι euodousthai . This word occurs in the New Testament only in the following places: Rom 1:10, rendered “have a prosperous journey;” 1Co 16:2, rendered “hath prospered;” and in the passage before us. It means, properly, “to lead in a good way; to prosper one’s journey;” and then to make prosperous; to give success to; to be prospered. It would apply here to any plan or purpose entertained. It would include success in business, happiness in domestic relations, or prosperity in any of the engagements and transactions in which a Christian might lawfully engage. It shows that it is right to wish that our friends may have success in the works of their hands and their plans of life.

And be in health - To enjoy bodily health. It is not necessary to to suppose, in order to a correct interpretation of this, that Gaius was at that time suffering from bodily indisposition, though perhaps it is most natural to suppose that, as John makes the wish for his health so prominent. But it is common, in all circumstances, to wish for the health and prosperity of our friends; and it is as proper as it is common, if we do not give that a degree of prominence above the welfare of the soul.

Even as thy soul prospereth - John had learned, it would seem, from the “brethren” who had come to him, 3Jo 1:3, that Gaius was living as became a Christian; that he was advancing in the knowledge of the truth, and was exemplary in the duties of the Christian life; and he prays that in all other respects he might be prospered as much as he was in that. It is not very common that a man is more prospered in his spiritual interests than he is in his other interests, or that we can, in our wishes for the welfare of our friends, make the prosperity of the soul, and the practice and enjoyment of religion, the standard of our wishes in regard to other things. It argues a high state of piety when we can, as the expression of our highest desire for the welfare of our friends, express the hope that they may be in all respects as much prospered as they are in their spiritual concerns.
Acts-celerater
1/16/16 3:17 pm

Post maggebet.... Aaron Scott
No, my bro, I got that. I knew you were shooting at those who have the temerity to believe that God might want us to prosper. So I gave you some verses that show that He does! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/16/16 6:27 pm

Post Re: maggebet.... maqqebet
Aaron Scott wrote:
No, my bro, I got that. I knew you were shooting at those who have the temerity to believe that God might want us to prosper. So I gave you some verses that show that He does!

Well, Aaron, you revealed your omniscient self, knowing my remarks were a thinly veiled reference to prosperity preachers/teachers.

Poor me. I can't discern the difference between a promise from the pits of hell from the heart of God.

By the way, do you really believe the promise the devil offered Jesus is on the same footing as the promise God made to Abraham because both are found in the Scriptures?
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/16 7:17 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic