Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

About the names of Jehovah...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post About the names of Jehovah... Aaron Scott
While messages and songs give us more than three, I have only found three "Jehovah-" names in the Bible:

Jehovah jireh

Jehovah nissi

Jehovah shalom.

I wonder why the scriptures would use the Hebrew/Aramaic word instead of saying, "God is my provider," etc.? Elsewhere, it doesn't use the Jewish words.

Thoughts on why this might be? Or is this just a function of the English interpretation? But if so, why?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/15/16 11:12 am

Post Da Sheik
I'm not a Greek or Hebrew scholar but I have reveived great comfort from the names of God over the years. Acts Enthusiast
1/15/16 12:33 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I'm not a Greek or Hebrew scholar but I have reveived great comfort from the names of God over the years.
Thumb Up Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/15/16 12:41 pm

Post Re: About the names of Jehovah... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
While messages and songs give us more than three, I have only found three "Jehovah-" names in the Bible:

Jehovah jireh

Jehovah nissi

Jehovah shalom.

I wonder why the scriptures would use the Hebrew/Aramaic word instead of saying, "God is my provider," etc.? Elsewhere, it doesn't use the Jewish words.

Thoughts on why this might be? Or is this just a function of the English interpretation? But if so, why?

The name 'Jehovah' was invented in the 1500's by an Italian monk who probably misunderstood the Hebrew. Post-exilic Jews did not want to pronounce the name of God, Yahweh. So they put the vowel points for Adonai underneath the letters YHWH. I think we get the 'J' from a feature of the English latter. The vowel pointings don't exactly work with the consonant.

If I'm not mistaken, 'Jehovah Jireh' is 'Yahweh Yireh' with a short 'i'.

To make it rhyme, we'd have to change the next bit of that song to be 'my povireh', but that doesn't make sense.
1/15/16 2:19 pm

Post A good basic article... Quiet Wyatt
Quote:

Compounds of Yahweh: Strictly speaking, these compounds are designations or titles which reveal additional facts about God’s character.

Yahweh Jireh (Yireh): “The Lord will provide.” Stresses God’s provision for His people (Gen. 22:14).

Yahweh Nissi:“The Lord is my Banner.” Stresses that God is our rallying point and our means of victory; the one who fights for His people (Ex. 17:15).

Yahweh Shalom:“The Lord is Peace.” Points to the Lord as the means of our peace and rest (Jud. 6:24).

Yahweh Sabbaoth:“The Lord of Hosts.” A military figure portraying the Lord as the commander of the armies of heaven (1 Sam. 1:3; 17:45).

Yahweh Maccaddeshcem: “The Lord your Sanctifier.” Portrays the Lord as our means of sanctification or as the one who sets believers apart for His purposes (Ex. 31:13).

YahwehRo’i: “The Lord my Shepherd.” Portrays the Lord as the Shepherd who cares for His people as a shepherd cares for the sheep of his pasture (Ps. 23:1).

Yahweh Tsidkenu: “The Lord our Righteousness.” Portrays the Lord as the means of our righteousness (Jer. 23:6).

Yahweh Shammah: “The Lord is there.” Portrays the Lord’s personal presence in the millennial kingdom (Ezek. 48:35).

Yahweh Elohim Israel: “The Lord, the God of Israel.” Identifies Yahweh as the God of Israel in contrast to the false gods of the nations (Jud. 5:3.; Isa. 17:6).
https://bible.org/article/names-god
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/16 3:08 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt... Aaron Scott
Right. I have seen those names (or several of them). But I wonder why, in the Bible, the actual Aramaic is used for "jireh," "nissi," and "shalom"?

It's about like Jesus' words on the cross and with the little dead girl: Why didn't it just translate what He meant instead of giving us the original?

That is, the Bible doesn't come to us in the original language and then, every other verse or so, we write out the English. It comes to us in English.

Except for these and a few other instances. Why was the original kept, even though it is interpreted?

Ideas?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/15/16 4:09 pm

Post John Jett
I agree about Jehovah being an English translation of Yahweh. Besides Yahweh what about all of the "El" names of God?

El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
El Elyon (The Most High God)
EL ROI: "God of Seeing"
El `Olam "Everlasting God"
(there are other "El" names including the most important EmanuEL, (God with Us)
Adonai (Lord, Master)
Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)
Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner)
Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
El Olam (The Everlasting God)
Elohim (God)

Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
1/15/16 4:26 pm

Post Re: Quiet Wyatt... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
Right. I have seen those names (or several of them). But I wonder why, in the Bible, the actual Aramaic is used for "jireh," "nissi," and "shalom"?

It's about like Jesus' words on the cross and with the little dead girl: Why didn't it just translate what He meant instead of giving us the original?

That is, the Bible doesn't come to us in the original language and then, every other verse or so, we write out the English. It comes to us in English.

Except for these and a few other instances. Why was the original kept, even though it is interpreted?

Ideas?

They are presented as names. When they come across the name Paul, the translators don't call him 'Shorty.' I have an idea for a modern translation where Peter is called Rocky and Paul is called Shorty.

Modern translations have footnotes, they can explain the meaning of the names in English.
1/15/16 11:49 pm

Post Re: About the names of Jehovah... Quiet Wyatt
Aaron Scott wrote:

Jehovah jireh

Jehovah nissi

Jehovah shalom.

I am not sure why the KJV translators choose in those cases to basically just phonetically render the Hebrew, while in most other cases, translated the meaning of the words into the English equivalent. I'm not sure such translator's choices mean anything really significant though.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/16/16 12:58 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
In looking at the earlier English translations which preceded the KJV, it appears that "Jehovahjireh" in Gen. 22 hearkens back to no less eminent a translator than Wycliffe himself, the first English Bible translator in history. Many modern translations have chosen not to follow that tradition. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/16/16 11:41 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic