Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

You say you are "holiness"

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post You say you are "holiness" Eddie Robbins
You are associated with a holiness church. Someone asks you to explain holiness and how you are different from a Baptist church, for example. How do you answer? Keep in mind, it's not Pentecostal, it's holiness. There are some holiness churches that aren't Pentecostal so answer from a holiness point of view. What is it? Acts-pert Poster
1/14/16 1:31 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I climb in my time machine, go back in time, and then don't say I'm "holiness" to that person, or ever again. Laughing [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 1:36 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Is the Church of God a holiness church or is that from a time passed? No longer holiness? Acts-pert Poster
1/14/16 1:49 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
What does "holiness" mean?

I would tell someone I am a Christian, or a Christ-follower.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 1:52 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Dave Dorsey wrote:
What does "holiness" mean?

I would tell someone I am a Christian, or a Christ-follower.

Right, but how do you explain that your church is a holiness church and the Baptist church down the street is not. How do you differentiate? Assuming you're believe the COG is a holiness church.
Acts-pert Poster
1/14/16 1:54 pm

Post What we mean by holiness... Aaron Scott
Some things are theological in nation, while others are practical/traditional.

Theologically, holiness typically has come to be understood to mean that one can live righteously before the Lord (some even would argue to the point of sinless perfection). This is usually associated with sanctification.

The practical aspects, however, are what most define us, I think....

We believe that you cannot live any way you want to and remain saved. That means we believe in backsliding.

We believe strongly in separation from "the world" (however you might define that).

I think a Baptist would agree with some of these notions, but not with the backsliding element or the sinless perfection part.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/14/16 1:56 pm

Post John Jett
I know the COG used to call itself "holiness", but I have a lot of family that are the old-time "holiness" church as in they actually say "Old Glory Holiness Church" on the sign. Growing up knowing all the strict rules they followed, I NEVER called myself "holiness" in the sense of the movement because of that. Of course if asked if I believe in holiness, I always say yes! Just maybe not your pastor's definition (which always seemed to be about dressing and watching TV) Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
1/14/16 1:57 pm

Post Da Sheik
I have a family member that has been COG most of her life and when someone asks her what denomination she is, her answer is "holiness". I don't use that terminology but I know what they mean by that: strong preaching against sin, non-OSAS beliefs , a 2nd work of grace view of sanctification , and typically a lot of rules that aren't even in the bible. Acts Enthusiast
1/14/16 2:01 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
There are many flavors within the Holiness tradition, but essentially the difference between Holiness theology and, say, Southern Baptist theology, may be laid out as:

1. Sin is not inevitable, but is a willful choice that the believer has the power by the Holy Spirit to avoid. (Baptists typically say sin is inevitable, can never be completely avoided at any point in this life due to the sinful nature we inherited from Adam, and so we cannot be free from sin until we die and go to Heaven).

2. Salvation consists in real deliverance from sin. The pursuit of holiness is an ongoing condition of salvation. Holiness Christians generally would say that those who don't pursue holiness aren't saved. Holiness Christians strongly oppose the idea of unconditional eternal security as taught by most Baptists.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 1/14/16 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 2:02 pm

Post Link
I've read that Holiness refers to a movement that believes in sanctification as a definite work of grace after salvation.
1/14/16 2:02 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Being holiness means that you have to live it along with believing it?

When I think of holiness back in the day, I think of more outward things. The things we couldn't do. No smoking, no drinking, no movies, no ball games, no short hair for the women, no makeup.....the list is long. Somewhere along the way, a lot of the COG churches wandered away from this but still called themselves "holiness." So, I just wonder what that means in the context of being different from other churches like the Methodist church, for example.
Acts-pert Poster
1/14/16 2:13 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The outward 'standards', which I see as primarily just cultural interpretations of what it means to live a holy life, do tend to evolve over time, in any group. But the theology itself doesn't necessarily have to change. There are very many Nazarenes, Wesleyans and Pentecostals who would still describe their theology and practice as Holiness, without the dress and hair codes, and cultural taboos of yesteryear (like going to movies or owning a TV, for instance).

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 1/14/16 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 2:17 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Case in point: I have had a lot of acquaintances over the years who were definitely 'old-timey' in their outward standards. While my basic holiness theology has always been virtually identical to theirs, in their view, my family was not really 'Holiness' because my wife cuts her hair, wears pants and make-up sometimes, I typically have a beard, and I wear cargo shorts in the summer.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 1/14/16 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 2:28 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Right, but how do you explain that your church is a holiness church and the Baptist church down the street is not. How do you differentiate? Assuming you're believe the COG is a holiness church.

Is my church (which is a COG) a holiness church? I don't think anyone there would describe it that way, probably because they also don't know what it means.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 2:28 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Is my church (which is a COG) a holiness church? I don't think anyone there would describe it that way, probably because they also don't know what it means.

I guess I meant the denomination but you bring up another point that we could discuss in another thread.
Acts-pert Poster
1/14/16 2:34 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The Church of God (Cleveland, TN) is officially committed to Holiness doctrine, as indicated especially by the following points in our Declaration of Faith:

(We Believe)...
Quote:

That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all and necessary for forgiveness of sins.

That justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

In sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ; through the Word, and by the Holy Ghost.

Holiness to be God's standard of living for His people.

In the baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to a clean heart.

http://www.churchofgod.org/beliefs/declaration-of-faith

That being said, there are no doubt many pastors and churches nowadays within the CoG that don't emphasize the Declaration of Faith, or which at least avoid certain aspects of the DoF, especially anything related to holiness, which they typically equate with legalism.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 2:42 pm

Post Re: You say you are "holiness" Old Time Country Preacher
Eddie Robbins wrote:
You are associated with a holiness church. Someone asks you to explain holiness and how you are different from a Baptist church, for example.

Speakin specifically of explainin it to a Baptist, I can only tell ya what the ole timer says, Eddie.

1. I aint a Baptist.
2. I will not attend a church whose name ends with an "E," unless the word is normally spelled ending with an "E."
3. John was not part of the Southern Baptist Convention.
4. I can backslide an get saved again, matter a fact I done it about 126 times as a teenager.
Acts-pert Poster
1/14/16 2:50 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic