Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Pastor's, do you charge for performing weddings?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Pastor's, do you charge for performing weddings? Herman Knapp
While I have never officially CHARGED for performing a wedding ceremony, I have always thought that it/is just common courtesy to give the pastor an honorarium for taking time out of his schedule for rehearsal and the ceremony itself. Is this selfish/presumptuous? Friendly Face
1/10/16 3:49 pm

Post Re: Pastor's, do you charge for performing weddings? c6thplayer1
Herman Knapp wrote:
While I have never officially CHARGED for performing a wedding ceremony, I have always thought that it/is just common courtesy to give the pastor an honorarium for taking time out of his schedule for rehearsal and the ceremony itself. Is this selfish/presumptuous?

Absolutely not and I pray that those who take an honorarium that the amount far exceeds those who charge for the services.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/10/16 3:55 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I don't charge for members in good standing who are already financially supportive of our church. In the past, when someone who was not a member of my church has asked me to perform their wedding, I have generally set a fee. I no longer will perform weddings for nonmembers. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/10/16 4:33 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I don't charge for members in good standing who are already financially supportive of our church. In the past, when someone who was not a member of my church has asked me to perform their wedding, I have generally set a fee. I no longer will perform weddings for nonmembers.

this is how we do it to. I should have been more descriptive previously.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/10/16 6:20 pm

Post My charge... Brandon Bohannon
Is pre-marriage counseling for four weeks prior to the wedding. One hour per week plus weekly homework assignments. If they don't have time or desire, neither do I. Very Happy

I am beginning the process now of not performing any for non-members. In the past, if you are a member, I will not take your money. If your a non-member I have asked for a donation to our church.
Proverbs 3:5-6; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8
Acts-celerater
1/11/16 5:55 pm

Post I wait until the bride is standing there... roughridercog
And tell thr groom to give me whatever he thinks being married to her is worth Laughing
1/11/16 6:24 pm

Post 2ndgeneration
I never charged to perform a wedding ceremony or officiate a funeral whether a member/attender or not. If they asked what my charge was I would respond by saying that there was none. Most of the time, an honorarium was given.

A family member of ours, whose father served on the local pastors council, was told by their pastor that his fee was $200 and $150 for his wife to sing at their wedding. This was a church of about 150. The pastor told them this up front before a fee was even discussed.

In all my years of pastoring I never had anyone take advantage of me in this area and I performed many weddings.
Acts Enthusiast
1/11/16 10:37 pm

Post BromptonFalls
We used to charge $500-$1000 for non-members to have their wedding at the church. Included in that fee was payments for the minister, custodian, and usage of various rooms within the church (sanctuary, fellowship hall, classrooms, etc.) I do not perform weddings for non-members anymore.

We do not charge a fee for members. If they provide an honorarium, I use it to purchase a wedding gift from our family to theirs and give it to them when they return from their honeymoon. If I am not given an honorarium, then my gift to them was performing their wedding for free.
1/12/16 4:39 pm

Post Only in the Summer famousflavius
The fee is doubled for an outdoor wedding in the summertime. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
1/12/16 9:03 pm

Post Re: Pastor's, do you charge for performing weddings? Old Time Country Preacher
Herman Knapp wrote:
While I have never officially CHARGED for performing a wedding ceremony, I have always thought that it/is just common courtesy to give the pastor an honorarium for taking time out of his schedule for rehearsal and the ceremony itself. Is this selfish/presumptuous?

No Herman, it ain't selfish, greedy or presumptuous at all.

Standard protocol at Pikeville is:

1. I give a copy of our church wedding policy (which is 7 pages and covers all the details) to every prospective couple.

2. There is a brief section dealing with honorariums, which states that based on one's investment of time/talent/service, it is customary to include in the cost of the wedding an honorarium for the following: musicians, sound personnel, singers, etc. This way, although no honorarium amount is specified, they know from the git go that one is expected.

Disclaimer: The ole timer has never "charged to do a wedding" either, and in recent years has stopped doing wedding ceremonies for non-members/attendees. Hey, I've done a few where I received no honorarium at all, an even had to pay for the stamp to mail the signed marriage license back to the local Register of Deeds. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
1/13/16 1:28 am

Post Re: Pastor's, do you charge for performing weddings? Da Sheik
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

Disclaimer: The ole timer has never "charged to do a wedding" either, and in recent years has stopped doing wedding ceremonies for non-members/attendees. Hey, I've done a few where I received no honorarium at all, an even had to pay for the stamp to mail the signed marriage license back to the local Register of Deeds. Cool

Dittos!!!

I have never charged a fee because frankly I feel that sets you up to be an "officiant-on-demand". Once your "rates" become public , it becomes more difficult to ethically reject officiating a ceremony. Frankly , weddings are generally a pain in the rear for the officiant. He has to sacrifice an entire weekend with his family (not to mention whatever pre-marital counseling hours he has invested ). I am becoming a curmudgeon when it comes to weddings I guess.
Acts Enthusiast
1/13/16 10:31 am

Post Re: Pastor's, do you charge for performing weddings? Old Time Country Preacher
Da Sheik wrote:
Frankly , weddings are generally a pain in the rear for the officiant. He has to sacrifice an entire weekend with his family (not to mention whatever pre-marital counseling hours he has invested ). I am becoming a curmudgeon when it comes to weddings I guess.

Double Ditto's, Sheik.
Acts-pert Poster
1/13/16 10:43 am

Post Re: Pastor's, do you charge for performing weddings? wayne
Da Sheik wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

Dittos!!!

I have never charged a fee because frankly I feel that sets you up to be an "officiant-on-demand". Once your "rates" become public , it becomes more difficult to ethically reject officiating a ceremony. Frankly , weddings are generally a pain in the rear for the officiant. He has to sacrifice an entire weekend with his family (not to mention whatever pre-marital counseling hours he has invested ). I am becoming a curmudgeon when it comes to weddings I guess.

Thumb Up
I am not a fan of doing weddings. Personally, I don't think I am that good at it. My MIP instructor Professor Rich Ussery told us he worked really hard to do a great job when he performed weddings.

We do not charge members and what I tell non-members is if they will come to church a number of times before the wedding, we won't charge them either but we do require they clean up.
Acts Enthusiast
1/15/16 8:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic