Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

"If the Devil tells you you're not saved...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "If the Devil tells you you're not saved... Quiet Wyatt
...then praise God that means you definitely are saved!"

We have heard and perhaps even used such enthusiastic rhetoric many times before.

Some questions I have about this:

What if it is actually your own guilty conscience that is telling you you're not saved?

What if it is the conviction of the Holy Spirit telling you you're not saved (either never were or have backslidden) but need to truly repent and be converted?

The way the rhetoric is typically used, it would tell people who ought to be convicted and converted to actually deny the conviction of the Holy Spirit and claim they are definitely saved regardless of what ANYONE tells them. Paul told the Corinthians to "Examine yourselves, and see whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves..." But the way the salvation rhetoric is typically used, one should NEVER doubt whether one is saved or not, and to do so is to 'listen to the Devil instead of God.'

How is the Holy Spirit going to convict anyone if all they are told is, "If the Devil tells you you are not saved, that is bonafide proof that you ARE saved!"
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 11:20 am

Post Re: "If the Devil tells you you're not saved... Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Some questions I have about this:

What if it is actually your own guilty conscience that is telling you you're not saved?

What if it is the conviction of the Holy Spirit telling you you're not saved (either never were or have backslidden) but need to truly repent and be converted?

How is the Holy Spirit going to convict anyone if all they are told is, "If the Devil tells you you are not saved, that is bonafide proof that you ARE saved!"

Very good points. We humans do always have the problem of discernment. Even when one is sure they KNOW.

The same thing happens to many when they feel they have a 'Word' from the Lord, (IS this me or you Lord?) I think when I have questioned that, it has been ME!

When there has ever been 'DOUBT' In the last 30 years I pray, "Help my understanding and forgive my unbelief."
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/9/16 11:31 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
What if it's ya wife what tells ya ya ain't saved? Acts-pert Poster
1/9/16 12:38 pm

Post diakoneo
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
What if it's ya wife what tells ya ya ain't saved?

Good one Smile

I heard someone testified one time and they were talking about the devil the whole time.

He said, "the devil has been on my back all day long, bless his wonderful name."

Yeah he got a little confused.

Sometimes we give the devil too many props and don't even know it.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/9/16 12:42 pm

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
What if it's ya wife what tells ya ya ain't saved?

Then I suggest the hubby do some praying, Cause SHE probably has the inside scoop! Smile Cool

Experience my man, experience!!!! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/9/16 3:58 pm

Post John...consider Aaron Scott
If it's YOUR CONSCIENCE telling you that, then maybe you aren't saved.

But if, as T.L. said, it's THE DEVIL, he's lying.

I think T.L., has a point.

Further, although I'm not OSAS by a long shot, sometimes you cannot trust yourself--your emotions, you reasoning, etc., and you must simply cling by faith.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/9/16 4:17 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I was not trying to criticize TL. I've heard that phrase or a variation of it many, many times in the past. I believe the phrase, while perhaps well intended, really is unhelpful. It's just like the "God told me" phrase. It gets used a whole lot to simply justify oneself and one's actions.

Case in point: A backslider hears that, and tells himself, "I knew it! I shouldn't let the Devil condemn me! I'm saved!"

Not sure who "John" is.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 4:21 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Not sure who "John" is.

He's the guy who might not be saved. Cool
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 4:47 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
First of all, nobody you or I know has ever come in contact with Satan so it's just hyped up preacher talk. Second, if he did, when did he become the judge? He cannot look at the heart and know if someone is a believer. Only God can do that. Acts-pert Poster
1/9/16 6:54 pm

Post Oh, sorry, QW... Aaron Scott
QW, I was listening to that song, "Room With A View," by 11th Hour--and the girl sang about "John wrote about heaven...."

But you knew I meant you. Besides, I'm nearly a senior citizen.
1/9/16 7:03 pm

Post Eddie! Aaron Scott
Quote:
First of all, nobody you or I know has ever come in contact with Satan so it's just hyped up preacher talk. Second, if he did, when did he become the judge? He cannot look at the heart and know if someone is a believer. Only God can do that.

Take heed lest you think all Pentecostal-style preaching is "hyped up preacher talk." Yes, it's emotional and does elicit a response.

Yes, I do know someone who came in contact with SATAN. I hope you know Him too.

And if Satan is the accuser of the brethren, if Satan hindered Paul...well, I reckon we have come in contact with him too. And T.L.'s point is that because Satan is a liar and the Father of Lies, he is not going to be telling us the truth--especially one that confirms our relationship with God.

And your point about Satan not knowing our hearts--that hyped up preacher stuff (SMILE)--well, that's just one more reason to not listen to what he has to say.

And Quiet Wyatt, it just struck me that Satan might not want to tell an unsaved person he was unsaved. Why? It might cause the person to feel the need to get saved.

It's when the devil ISN'T attacking our minds and hearts that we should examine ourselves even more closely.
1/9/16 7:09 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Again, my main problem with this particular preacherism is it effectively short-circuits ANY conviction (of either sin or of backsliddenness) whether from the Holy Spirit or one's conscience.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 1/9/16 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 7:21 pm

Post Link
That's a good word.

It's also a good example of why it is important for preachers to not just make up junk to tell people, or repeat junk they heard other preachers say that has no basis in the word of God. We all need to study to show ourselves approved, and also we need to meditate on the word of God. If preachers thought these things through, they might not say things like that.

Imagine this scenario. A preacher preaches a message on end times, communcation in marriage, and throws on an altar call at the end of the service without explaining Who God is, that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for our sins, or that He rose from the dead, or He leaves out some major part of the Gospel that a newbie would need to understand the Gospel and believe.

Then he offers people to repeat a prayer if they want to go to heaven. An unchurched visitor doesn't really understand the Gospel, but he doesn't want to go to hell. In the Saturday morning cartoons, it seemed like a bad place with a bit of fire and little critters with pitchforks. So he repeats the prayer, which doesn't explain the parts of the Gospel the preacher left out either. (This seems to be the typical scenario in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches that do the 'sinners' prayer'.)

Then the preacher tells him that the Devil will talk to his mind and tell him he is not a Christian and that he shouldn't believe him.

So when he walks out of there and comes under conviction after he has heard a bit about Jesus but hasn't repented and believed the Gospel. But he remembers the words of the preacher who told him that the Devil would try to convince him that he is not a Christian.
1/9/16 7:37 pm

Post God will confirm it. Aaron Scott
I remember, at about the lowest point of my life, after praying for months, I suppose, with no relief, I was driving along the highway in Tampa when it came to me that maybe the reason I wasn't getting an answer was because, despite me having always believed I got saved in October 1968 at the Marathon Church of God, I must have not really gotten saved.

IMMEDIATELY, the Spirit of God flooded the whole atmosphere it seemed! And He said as clear to me as I had every understood Him: "That's the night I wrote it down!"

That's not meant to be a theological statement about just when our names go into the Book of Life. It was meant to be a word from heaven that let me know that God knew I had gotten saved that night!

I never doubted again.

So, if someone is feeling they aren't saved, God can confirm it. But if He wouldn't condemn a woman CAUGHT in adultery, He's not going to have a condemning voice there either. The devil condemns, but "God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."
1/9/16 7:46 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Aaron,

In your view, do the following possibilities exist?

1. A truly born again believer backslides (going back into a life marked by willful habitual sin) and is in need of conviction, repentance, and even conversion again?

2. A false conversion occurs, in which the 'convert' THINKS he is truly regenerate, but is actually deceived concerning this.

3. A genuinely born again Christian is in need of the convicting, chastening work of the Spirit in his life, so that he might become a partaker of His holiness.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 8:06 pm

Post bradfreeman
TL, or whoever, is right.

Faulty theology constantly keeps us looking in the mirror to determine if we are saved. We look to the cross for salvation, not ourselves.

Salvation comes by faith in Christ.

If our faith is in our sinless lifestyle, then we move in and out of righteousness and salvation with every failure.

If our faith is in our sinless lifestyle, then every time we feel the need to change our activity, we will view that as an indication that we have lost our salvation.

The ONLY way a person can fall from grace and be severed from Christ is by abandoning faith in Christ in favor of relying on religious rule-keeping (faith in our sinless lifestyles) to get us to Heaven.

Our preaching shouldn't have people constantly looking in the mirror.
It should have them looking to the cross.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/10/16 8:10 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
diakoneo wrote:

I heard someone testified one time and they were talking about the devil the whole time.

He said, "the devil has been on my back all day long, bless his wonderful name."

Yeah he got a little confused.

Sometimes we give the devil too many props and don't even know it.

On a similar note, D, hey, I heard this ole feller prayin fer folk one time--many years ago--an he prayed for one ole boy an these were his exact words: "Come out of him, my friend." It was like he was callin whatever he was commandin to come outta the boy his friend. Couldn't help but smile, an laughed later. I know he didn't mean it that way, its just how it come out.
Acts-pert Poster
1/10/16 9:04 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I'll tell you says we're not saved. It's self-righteous, judgmental people who have made up rules. If you do this, you ain't saved. If you're do that, you ain't saved. It's not the devil, it's people that say it and a lot of people believe it. Acts-pert Poster
1/10/16 3:39 pm

Post Herman Knapp
My question is: What would a BORN-AGAIN person absolutely HAVE to do to become UNSAVED/UN-BORN-AGAIN? I would assume that one would, not only have to commit A sin, but outright deny the resurrection of Jesus from the dead and deny His Lordship over their lives. Now, could that simply be through their ACTIONS or would it have to be through a VERBAL CONFESSION as is mentioned in ROM.10:9-10? Friendly Face
1/10/16 4:00 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
He that is begotten of God does not go on sinning. (See 1 John 3:1-9 for instance).

Hebrews 10:26ff says that if we go on deliberately sinning, no sacrifice for sin remains for us, but only the fearful expectation of the fire that will consume the adversaries of God.

Without holiness no one shall see God.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/10/16 4:30 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic