Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Awesome T.L. Lowery Sermon (LINK)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Awesome T.L. Lowery Sermon (LINK) Aaron Scott
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwu-d4sTYi0 Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/8/16 11:01 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
At 43:50 TL Lowery tells the people to lay hands on somebody and say "I heal you in Jesus name...Do it, Do it, Do it, lay hands on somebody and heal em."

Help the ole timer understand this please: "I HEAL YOU?"
Acts-pert Poster
1/9/16 12:48 am

Post OTCP, here's some literature that will help you understand... Aaron Scott
First, if you listened to that whole sermon and that's what you got out of it, you weren't listening...you were trying to collect "evidence" so you could shed doubt.

Yes, WE heal them...IN THE NAME OF JESUS.

Just like we PRAY for them...IN THE NAME OF JESUS.

Everything we do is in the Name AND the power of Jesus.

If you sang a song and it ministered deeply to folks, would you claim you hadn't sung the song? No, but you would note that its was the power of the Lord.

Here's another way to look at it: You didn't heal them by YOUR power...but they wouldn't have been healed if you hadn't prayed for them, laid hands on them, etc.

If Peter and John had walked by the lame man, he would have remained lame, at least for the time being.

God COULD heal everyone with just a thought. But instead, WE are to pray for them, WE are to believe, WE are to lay hands on them. We're part of the healing that God administers! It's HIS power, but He's given us POWER by the Holy Ghost.

Now, if someone comes to town claiming to heal and thinks it's all him, he's in error.

Further, would God bless T. L. Lowery's ministry as He has if it was in deep error for the last 50 years? NO!

Quote:
(Matthew 10:7 KJV) And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
(Matthew 10:8 KJV) Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

(Mark 3:14 KJV) And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
(Mark 3:15 KJV) And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:

(Acts 5:16 KJV) There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

(Acts 28:8 KJV) And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.

(Mark 6:12 KJV) And they went out, and preached that men should repent.
(Mark 6:13 KJV) And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

(Luke 9:1 KJV) Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
(Luke 9:2 KJV) And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.

(Luke 9:6 KJV) And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing every where.

(Acts 3:12 KJV) And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?

(Acts 4:9 KJV) If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;
(Acts 4:10 KJV) Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

(Acts 28:8 KJV) And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.

Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/9/16 7:48 am

Aaron, I've heard Rev Lowery preach all my life, so no, I wasn't trying to collect "evidence" to shed doubt. I listened to Rev Lowery's introduction of Parsley being the best pastor and best preacher in the world, then skipped to three other portions and listened for 2-3 minutes each. It was classic Rev Lowery, the same Rev Lowery I heard for the first time at 13 years of age at a camp meeting.

I don't have to try to "collect evidence" on anyone. If evidence is there it will surface on its own. The lens of one's worldview or the mere ability to discern (or both) will show it for what it is.

Love ya, bro!
Acts-pert Poster
1/9/16 10:20 am

Post Tom... Aaron Scott
Several things....

One was the insight that we aren't told to pray for the harvest, but to pray for the Lord of the Harvest to send laborers.

Another was the number of people being saved around the world.

Another was the urgency with which he preached, emphasizing that we ought to be telling the world about Jesus (I think he quoted someone as saying something like, "Why should anyone hear the gospel twice until others have heard it once?")

What got to you?
1/9/16 10:48 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I've only gotten through the first 15 minutes so far, but my favorite quote thus far is, "You don't treat the Devil like your mother in law!" [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 11:38 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
One thing I noted was how TL could still sound every bit as fiery whether reading from his notes or speaking extemporaneously. Also, such remarkable stamina and zeal for a man of 80! According to the YouTube information, this sermon occurred in 2009. Last I heard (maybe a year ago?), Bro. Lowery was in declining health. Does anyone here know how he is doing health wise? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 12:21 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I really liked the part where he talked about us hastening the day of God. I really would have liked to hear him expound more on that point. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 12:24 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Yes, that is the one. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/16 1:13 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
According to Steve Lowery's Facebook, his dad TL Lowery preached at National COG (where Steve pastors & his dad formerly pastored) on November 29, 2015. He called it an "increasingly rare event."

It's been said on here previously that Pastor Lowery & his wife Mildred were residents in a nursing home in TN. Not sure if that has changed since she passed.
1/9/16 1:18 pm

Post Tom, I agree... Aaron Scott
I'm not one of those "turn to your neighbor" types, but I also know that T.L. Lowery has a larger-than-life personality. And since we both know the wonderful fruit of his life, it's something that is easy to look over.

Another thing that came to me, while we might be somewhat intimidated to preach to such large congregations, you can't find one big enough to intimidate T.L. Lowery. I think he would be chomping at the bits to preach at the Super Bowl halftime show.

One thing I've liked about him (at least in retrospect) was that he would mingle with some ministers that many other look askance at. He loved them all. That didn't mean he agreed with everything they did and said, but by continuing the relationship, it gave him ongoing access to impact and direct their lives, to speak to them what the Lord would have him say, etc. He just refused to play the games that other preachers played.

A few year ago, during the economic downturn when I had lost my job (and would be out of a full-time for 2.5 years), he came to one of my friends' churches. Oh, what a time we had. And then, when we had no income, I felt the Lord tell me to give him $1000!!! WHAT??? That can't be God--God knows I don't have a job, my wife had a mini-stroke that put her out of a job for months, and we're living on my modest IRA rollover!

I had never been told to give anyone $1000 before.l But I did it, because I couldn't bear to think of how I would feel if I didn't do it. And I wanted so badly to be a part of a ministry that was walking in the power of the Holy Ghost in such a way. Long story short....I never added a SINGLE DIME to my IRA during all that time. We had to take THOUSANDS from it. But as God is my witness, I had MORE in the IRA when it was over, than when it began!!!

I have not doubted for an instant that God blessed me for my obedience. But the blessing was far, far, far more than money. I got to experience a miracle of provision in my life. I learned to "trust and obey" at a new level. And God showed Himself to be faithful. No wonder they call Jesus "Faithful and True"!
1/9/16 1:49 pm

Post ????? wayne
selling books before preaching - is that turning the tabernacle into a market place? Acts Enthusiast
1/14/16 1:04 pm

Post Wayne, NO! Aaron Scott
Lowery simply pushes the books he believes God gave him--and he does it without apology. If you wrote a song, I'm sure you would expect royalties, etc. Same principle.

As for selling in church, first, it's not the temple. I dare say plenty of folks have sold chicken dinners in the fellowship hall, which, as everyone knows, the Bible tells us that it's OK to do it there, but not in the sanctuary (SMILE).

If you have something value, why would you "put your light under a bushel"? Yes, Lowery is bold as a lion. He always has been. It's part of what sets him apart as a man of God. He will pray for you on a commercial airline, in a restaurant, etc.--and do it loudly and boldly. Further, if God was as upset about it as some of us, I'm thinking that He'd let Lowery know...and Bro. Lowery would listen. Or He'd withdraw His anointing.

Folks, don't go to London and see only the mouse under the queen's chair.
1/14/16 2:03 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If I were a published author and had gone to the trouble and expense to have my work published on a topic I felt God had laid upon my heart, I had sure better be actively promoting that book virtually every chance I get, or else I'm not even going to break even on the book, and very few are going to be benefitted by the message of my book.

I don't have any problem with a visiting minister giving a brief commercial for his books and/or other media.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/16 4:52 pm

Post Re: ????? Eddie Robbins
wayne wrote:
selling books before preaching - is that turning the tabernacle into a market place?

We're books sold before he preached or did he say they were available later?

How many churches have fundraisers and are announced during church?
Acts-pert Poster
1/14/16 5:24 pm

Post wayne
Okay, I was just asking. Acts Enthusiast
1/15/16 8:52 am

I believe Rev TL Lowery to be a man of God. No one--certainly not I--is questioning his integrity, commitment, love for God, etc. The very first camp meeting I attended as a young timer (sommers around 11-13 years old, I don't remember exactly), was preached by Rev Lowery. I've been in many other meetins where he preached. He has prayed for the ole timer in one a his prayer lines. No question at all that he loved God. So, before the SCUD missiles begin to be launched at the ole timer, I offer the following observation from a pure heart, with no animosity (or snarkiness, Tom), because I too respect Rev TL Lowery for his service to the Kingdom.

That said, my personal opinion, is that his ministry/preaching is "one" of the reasons (certainly not the only one, nor the main one, there are many) that aspects of Word of Faith teaching/doctrine/practice have become commonplace among so many COG ministers/parishioners. I can trace the belief system of quite a few in my region directly to the ministry/style/teaching of Rev Lowery. He was never "full-blown" Word of Faith like Copeland and ilk, but he did indeed lean in "some aspects of his teaching/preaching" toward "certain WOF beliefs." Many COG persons had great respect for him because of his style of "Power Evangelism." And this led to many often embracing other aspects of his preaching/teaching. In juxtaposition to Dr Ray Hughes, who was just as dynamic a preacher (in my own opinion, Hughes was a much greater pulpiteer than Lowery), Hughes never leaned toward WOF beliefs. He preached powerfully, stepped back, and allowed the Holy Spirit to do whatever he would. Lowery on the other hand was personally engaged--really the centerpiece--of an altar service where he had preached. This led, I believe, many to elevate him in their own minds, which led to embracing other aspects of his ministry that tended to be more WOF.

Yet, all that said, I still respect his commitment to the Kingdom.
Acts-pert Poster
1/15/16 12:02 pm

Post Ray Hughes/TL Lowery wayne
I agree with you regarding Ray Hughes. I remember a camp meeting in Lexington where I had to sit on the stage because there were no more seats. Bro Hughes was preaching that night and I remember as a young boy being in awe of him. He preached so effortlessly, his face would get red, his eyes became steely and he shook slightly as he preached. Now as a preacher I know there was a very heavy anointing on him. I remember saying to someone next to me that "if anybody looked like God, It was that man." I still 30 years later have an image of him preaching in that camp meeting forever imprinted in my mind. He was amazing!

TL Lowery, I was a big fan of his and then I noticed a change in his preaching. OTCP, maybe it's what you described but I at some point lost my interest in TL. I do still respect the man very much and am proud he is a part of COG history.

With that said and maybe its because of personal negative encounters with WOF preachers/teachers/people - there is a very strong gut feeling of warning when I get around these preachers. When I hear these kinds of messages, I just shut down and am ready to leave. Maybe I am weird but it's something that I can't get rid of.
Acts Enthusiast
1/15/16 2:26 pm

Post Re: Ray Hughes/TL Lowery Old Time Country Preacher
wayne wrote:
With that said and maybe its because of personal negative encounters with WOF preachers/teachers/people - there is a very strong gut feeling of warning when I get around these preachers. When I hear these kinds of messages, I just shut down and am ready to leave. Maybe I am weird but it's something that I can't get rid of.

No, Wayne, you aint a bit weird fer feelin like ya describe above. I git the same gut feelin of warnin when I git around anything WoF. Let discernment continue to work in ya, son.
Acts-pert Poster
1/15/16 3:16 pm

Post The Difference... Aaron Scott
T.L. Lowery, above all other Church of God preachers, I imagine, had a reputation for miracles in his services, as well as the baptisms in the Holy Ghost.

Ray H. Hughes, on the other hand, was known as the greatest of our evangelists. He is my favorite preacher.

But when it came to what was being seen in terms of the power of God, I think T.L. Lowery's non-timid personality facilitated greater faith and response in people. He simply helped us believe that it was going to happen!

As for Word of Faith, etc., I reject your take outright. First, it's not wrong to believe that God heals and delivers. It's completely scriptural to EXPECT God to heal, work miracles, and the such. But to you, it is apparently error.

Well, here's how I see it: If T.L. Lowery saw the miracles that he did, all while believing as he did, then you need to take a vacation from your crusade against faith. If you'd been living in the time of the apostles, I can imagine you would be spouting the same nonsense there, too...all while God kept right on healing, doing miracles, saving, raising the dead, and so forth.

God's word nor Spirit will cooperate with your doubt.
1/15/16 4:05 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic