Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

I Saw an Illiterate Man Today

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I Saw an Illiterate Man Today Old Time Country Preacher
While sitting in a business today, a gentleman approximately 70-ish walked to the receptionist to register. When the paperwork was complete the receptionist said "Sir, please sign here." He politely said, "Ma'am, I can't, all I can put is an "X." She told him that was fine, he signed the "X" and sat down. A while later as I was leaving I saw him get in his automobile and leave. As I watched this brief moment unfold, I was overwhelmed with two emotions:

1. Compassion: I know there are illiterate people here in the USA, and perhaps even a higher percentage in the Appalachian region of the southern USA. But when I saw this man, here in the USA, in 2016, who had never--for whatever reason--learned to read/write, who had not the ability to sign his own name, forgive the KJV terminology, but I was moved with compassion. I thought of the limitations this precious man must have endured all of his life simply because he couldn't read/write. I can't explain it, I felt compassion.

2. Gratitude: As I experienced compassion, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I thought of the privileges so many of us have enjoyed in terms of education, learning, study, the simple capacity to pick up a Bible and "read" it. As I looked at this dear man I felt unworthy. I wondered why God had given me such opportunities in reading/writing/engaging "words," when this dear man could not take a pen and write his own name. I thought about how we as Actscelerate posters sit down at a computer most every day, place our fingers on the A-S-D-F-J-K-L-;, and type "words" without giving it a thought.

I wanted to post this true story, experienced today by the ole timer, and express my gratitude to God for what most all of us take for granted--the ability to READ/WRITE.
Acts-pert Poster
1/7/16 9:49 pm

Post bonnie knox
Good post, Ole Timer. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/7/16 10:08 pm

Post Cojak
i will add an AMEN to Bonnie's post. Yes some of us are truly blessed.

Some of my own family fit in that category. That is a SWEET observation OT.. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/8/16 12:41 am

Post georgiapath
Wow, hard to believe this day and time.

Hubby's grandmother couldn't read or write but that was another life time ago. He said she sure could count money tho. Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
1/8/16 10:40 am

Post BromptonFalls
Very thought provoking. I wonder how someone with his limitations would be able to pass the written portion of the driving test? Maybe it can be done orally if someone is illiterate?
1/11/16 9:45 am

Post Cojak
BromptonFalls wrote:
Very thought provoking. I wonder how someone with his limitations would be able to pass the written portion of the driving test? Maybe it can be done orally if someone is illiterate?

Yes oral quiz is possible in most states..... Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/11/16 11:59 am

Post UncleJD
Did you ever see the Johnny Cash movie "The Pride of Jesse Hallam"? Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/11/16 12:33 pm

Post Re: I Saw an Illiterate Man Today caseyleejones
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
While sitting in a business today, a gentleman approximately 70-ish walked to the receptionist to register. When the paperwork was complete the receptionist said "Sir, please sign here." He politely said, "Ma'am, I can't, all I can put is an "X." She told him that was fine, he signed the "X" and sat down. A while later as I was leaving I saw him get in his automobile and leave. As I watched this brief moment unfold, I was overwhelmed with two emotions:

1. Compassion: I know there are illiterate people here in the USA, and perhaps even a higher percentage in the Appalachian region of the southern USA. But when I saw this man, here in the USA, in 2016, who had never--for whatever reason--learned to read/write, who had not the ability to sign his own name, forgive the KJV terminology, but I was moved with compassion. I thought of the limitations this precious man must have endured all of his life simply because he couldn't read/write. I can't explain it, I felt compassion.

2. Gratitude: As I experienced compassion, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I thought of the privileges so many of us have enjoyed in terms of education, learning, study, the simple capacity to pick up a Bible and "read" it. As I looked at this dear man I felt unworthy. I wondered why God had given me such opportunities in reading/writing/engaging "words," when this dear man could not take a pen and write his own name. I thought about how we as Actscelerate posters sit down at a computer most every day, place our fingers on the A-S-D-F-J-K-L-;, and type "words" without giving it a thought.

I wanted to post this true story, experienced today by the ole timer, and express my gratitude to God for what most all of us take for granted--the ability to READ/WRITE.

+1
Acts-perienced Poster
1/11/16 7:27 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:
BromptonFalls wrote:

Yes oral quiz is possible in most states..... Cool

This is a serious question, I know a person can drive without being able to read, but would this not be dangerous in metro areas, and congested areas, etc., to not be able to read the road signs?
Acts-pert Poster
1/11/16 9:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic