Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

new phrase for the day: "concern troll" (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post new phrase for the day: "concern troll" (L) bonnie knox
I came across a comment section yesterday in which a moderator accused a commenter of being a "concern troll." I had an intuitive sense of what it meant (but I needed a geek to really explain it to me Wink ).
I read this explanation and kept seeing devil disturber's post on the "General Assembly 2016" thread.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-concern-trolling.htm
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/25/15 8:55 am

Post Cojak
I cannot wrap my mind around that word. But methinks I have met one or two of 'em! Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/28/15 3:51 pm

Post Link
A concern troll doesn't sound like a real troll... I mean a real metaphorical Internet troll, not an ugly humanoid creature under a bridge in Sweden. Trolls are more about getting people stirred up and upset than about real conversation, right?
11/28/15 10:21 pm

Post bonnie knox
Cojak wrote:
I cannot wrap my mind around that word. But methinks I have met one or two of 'em! Confused

Okay, Cojak, I'm going to try to break down into language that you can relate to. First of all, the "troll" part. If you've ever been fishing where you drag a line with bait on it through the water, you have been trolling. The hope is that the fish are so gullible they will not recognize it as "bait" and will bite it. The same thing happens with an internet troll; he makes a post trying to get an emotional response. In other words he is putting "bait" on a forum.
Now the "concern" part. The key here is that the concern is INSINCERE. The troll PRETENDS to be concerned, but is not really concerned.

Let me use this example. Let's say there is a forum in which posters are campaigning for Hillary. Let's say someone named Carl Wove wants to campaign against her. So he gets a pen name such as Female Prez and gets on the forum. "Female Prez" aka Carl Wove says, "I think Hillary is great. She really understands the political system and has a great vision for the country. However, I'm ***concerned*** that her health is not up to it. She fell and hit her head a few years ago and has been having periodic blackouts. I'm just not sure we need that with the world situation being so volatile right now. But, overall, she is the best candidate for the job."
Okay, so Carl, posting as "Female Prez" is pretending to be concerned about Hillary's blackouts. He has lied about them being periodic. He says he thinks she will be a great candidate, but he really doesn't think so. What he is really trying to do is put doubts in the minds of the voters of whether she is really physically up to being president.
Thus, Carl Wove has played the part of a concern troll.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/29/15 2:20 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
an internet troll; he makes a post trying to get an emotional response. In other words he is putting "bait" on a forum.

What? Who would do somethin like at?
Acts-pert Poster
11/29/15 2:37 pm

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Okay, Cojak, I'm going to try to break down into language that you can relate to. First of all, the "troll" part. If you've ever been fishing where you drag a line with bait on it through the water, you have been trolling. The hope is that the fish are so gullible they will not recognize it as "bait" and will bite it. The same thing happens with an internet troll; he makes a post trying to get an emotional response. In other words he is putting "bait" on a forum.
Now the "concern" part. The key here is that the concern is INSINCERE. The troll PRETENDS to be concerned, but is not really concerned.

Let me use this example. Let's say there is a forum in which posters are campaigning for Hillary. Let's say someone named Carl Wove wants to campaign against her. So he gets a pen name such as Female Prez and gets on the forum. "Female Prez" aka Carl Wove says, "I think Hillary is great. She really understands the political system and has a great vision for the country. However, I'm ***concerned*** that her health is not up to it. She fell and hit her head a few years ago and has been having periodic blackouts. I'm just not sure we need that with the world situation being so volatile right now. But, overall, she is the best candidate for the job."
Okay, so Carl, posting as "Female Prez" is pretending to be concerned about Hillary's blackouts. He has lied about them being periodic. He says he thinks she will be a great candidate, but he really doesn't think so. What he is really trying to do is put doubts in the minds of the voters of whether she is really physically up to being president.
Thus, Carl Wove has played the part of a concern troll.

Thanks, I got it. It's a age thing, we require more 'priming time' than the regular pump! Smile

Thanks Bonne! Idea
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/29/15 11:27 pm

Post Link
I have a concern about this concern troll thing...
11/30/15 6:00 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
I have a concern about this concern troll thing...

I'm more concerned but the troll than the thing........
Acts-pert Poster
11/30/15 9:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic