Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Just how loud is the music at Southern Illinois Campmeeting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Old Time Country Preacher
All these Illinois camp meetins have been before Cojak got his cocklear implant. Maybe the administrationi/leadership team/music team in Illinois thought Cojak was gonna be in attendance and cranked it up several decibels thinkin Cojak would be able to hear it. Hey, I think they was just facilitatin ministry. Acts-pert Poster
11/24/15 10:13 pm

Post bonnie knox
I think you're right, Ole Timer. And they knew Cojak would be in Florida, so they cranked it up extree loud so as he could here it all the way from Florida. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/24/15 10:16 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
I think you're right, Ole Timer. And they knew Cojak would be in Florida, so they cranked it up extree loud so as he could here it all the way from Florida.

Cool Very Happy
Acts-pert Poster
11/24/15 10:44 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I think you're right, Ole Timer. And they knew Cojak would be in Florida, so they cranked it up extree loud so as he could here it all the way from Florida.

*hear*

I think I'm losing my mind.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/24/15 10:53 pm

Post caveator
DrDuck wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
caveator wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
My wife and I used to attend all of the camp meetings in So. Illinois. One year the sound seemed to be getting louder and louder so I brought a DB level meter and sat in the back. My first measurements were well over 100db using a flat scale.

The following year I measured it again and it pegged my meter at times when the music was playing. On average it was 96 - 98 db. You could actually feel the music in your chest when the meter pegged.

The last year I attended , I asked the pastor of the church if they could turn it down a bit. He said he had no control over it and agreed it was way to loud. That year it pegged my meter again. Even two of our grand kids said it was way to loud. { they were 17 and 19 at the time }.

That was the last year My wife , Both of our Daughters , our son in law and 6 grand kids attended this camp meeting. BTW , we were not the only one complaining about the volume.

If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely.

It is really a serious matter that no one seems to address. But it is no longer my concern so let-er-rip. I'm saving my hearing as well as my families.

I probably shouldn't poke fun about this. People do funny things and just dont see or care about the consequences.

This has to be one of the funniest things that I have ever heard! To think that you would really go to the expense of buying your own decibel meter to prove a point is just too funny. I have never been to an Illinois campmeeting, so I have no "dog in the hunt." I do know that, according to OSHA, one can sustain 85db for 3 hours without any affect on your hearing at all. As a matter of fact. city traffic registers at about 85db. You can sustain 100db for a steady 45 minutes before there is any affect at all. For those who like quiet church services, you will get thirty minutes of silence in heaven. After that, John described it as a sound so loud that it sounded like a bowl of living waters. So, enjoy your 30 minutes! Very Happy

Nice post Cav. First of all I didnt purchase a sound meter to prove a point. I own a recording studio and have all of the gear required to run this studio. The db level meter has been a part of my studio for years.

Secondly I see that you have thoroughly researched the OSHA recommendations you stated. Heres the rest of it.

" The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has recommended that all worker exposures to noise should be controlled below a level equivalent to 85 dBA for eight hours to minimize occupational noise induced hearing loss. NIOSH has found that significant noise-induced hearing loss occurs at the exposure levels equivalent to the OSHA PEL based on updated information obtained from literature reviews. NIOSH also recommends a 3 dBA exchange rate so that every increase by 3 dBA doubles the amount of the noise and halves the recommended amount of exposure time."
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Heres what funny. I play steel guitar in a country band every week as well as being the keyboard player at our church so I like music a little on the loud side. However I am very aware of dangerous levels music so I see that it is controlled. So when I tell someone about a level problem and they ignore the proven facts its no skin off my nose.

Also , as a retired Transmission and Electrical Protection engineer with a major telephone company I have many qualifications as an acoustic engineer which entails all safety issues connected to the transmission of wavelengths in the audio range.

But as I said earlier , since I no longer attend these ear crushers it is of no concern to me other than a little fun with the situation. So Let-er-Rip.

Cav, is this you after reading this post? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

No. If I gave my credentials, I would "out" myself.

My response is more like... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 11:10 pm

Post c6thplayer1
caveator wrote:
DrDuck wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
caveator wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
My wife and I used to attend all of the camp meetings in So. Illinois. One year the sound seemed to be getting louder and louder so I brought a DB level meter and sat in the back. My first measurements were well over 100db using a flat scale.

The following year I measured it again and it pegged my meter at times when the music was playing. On average it was 96 - 98 db. You could actually feel the music in your chest when the meter pegged.

The last year I attended , I asked the pastor of the church if they could turn it down a bit. He said he had no control over it and agreed it was way to loud. That year it pegged my meter again. Even two of our grand kids said it was way to loud. { they were 17 and 19 at the time }.

That was the last year My wife , Both of our Daughters , our son in law and 6 grand kids attended this camp meeting. BTW , we were not the only one complaining about the volume.

If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely.

It is really a serious matter that no one seems to address. But it is no longer my concern so let-er-rip. I'm saving my hearing as well as my families.

I probably shouldn't poke fun about this. People do funny things and just dont see or care about the consequences.

This has to be one of the funniest things that I have ever heard! To think that you would really go to the expense of buying your own decibel meter to prove a point is just too funny. I have never been to an Illinois campmeeting, so I have no "dog in the hunt." I do know that, according to OSHA, one can sustain 85db for 3 hours without any affect on your hearing at all. As a matter of fact. city traffic registers at about 85db. You can sustain 100db for a steady 45 minutes before there is any affect at all. For those who like quiet church services, you will get thirty minutes of silence in heaven. After that, John described it as a sound so loud that it sounded like a bowl of living waters. So, enjoy your 30 minutes! Very Happy

Nice post Cav. First of all I didnt purchase a sound meter to prove a point. I own a recording studio and have all of the gear required to run this studio. The db level meter has been a part of my studio for years.

Secondly I see that you have thoroughly researched the OSHA recommendations you stated. Heres the rest of it.

" The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has recommended that all worker exposures to noise should be controlled below a level equivalent to 85 dBA for eight hours to minimize occupational noise induced hearing loss. NIOSH has found that significant noise-induced hearing loss occurs at the exposure levels equivalent to the OSHA PEL based on updated information obtained from literature reviews. NIOSH also recommends a 3 dBA exchange rate so that every increase by 3 dBA doubles the amount of the noise and halves the recommended amount of exposure time."
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Heres what funny. I play steel guitar in a country band every week as well as being the keyboard player at our church so I like music a little on the loud side. However I am very aware of dangerous levels music so I see that it is controlled. So when I tell someone about a level problem and they ignore the proven facts its no skin off my nose.

Also , as a retired Transmission and Electrical Protection engineer with a major telephone company I have many qualifications as an acoustic engineer which entails all safety issues connected to the transmission of wavelengths in the audio range.

But as I said earlier , since I no longer attend these ear crushers it is of no concern to me other than a little fun with the situation. So Let-er-Rip.

Cav, is this you after reading this post? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

No. If I gave my credentials, I would "out" myself.

My response is more like... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

a prime example of camp meeting leadership ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/25/15 10:44 am

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:

a prime example of camp meeting leadership ... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I had to smile.
I have enough common sense to know that our friend Eddie is very concerned about the health of everyone, especially Christians on Acts. He tells of personal experience, and the ones who fit his description sorta smile, I will get healthy ONE DAY, or He isn't really meaning me OR that is none of Eddie's business.

Now it is me, I know the results of HEARING LOSS, but most folk do not until too late. As I said, children are my concern. NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO GO DEAF FROM LOUD NOISE, but the fact is MANY WILL. I ask only that you think about this From Johns Hopkins:

What is noise-induced hearing loss?
Your child’s inner ears may be damaged if he or she is around extremely loud noises or around loud noises for long periods of time. This is called noise-induced hearing loss.
One way of describing noise is by decibels.
• Normal conversation is usually about 60 decibels.
• Regularly being around noise that is more than 85 decibels can cause hearing loss.

. Once damaged, our hair cells cannot grow back.

In the lower 50's if your car was not fast (chevy), you made it loud, So I put twin smitties on my '48 chevy. It wasn't as loud as stereo's now.

Before the Cochlear implant I could hear Jets and Sirens if I was close to them. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/25/15 11:14 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Once damaged, our hair cells cannot grow back.

Cojak, forgive me, I had to laugh. Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/25/15 11:18 am

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

Imma gonna forgive you, but my hair cells won"t! Smile Embarassed

I just realized I am a prime example of the damaged hair cells, inside and out! Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/25/15 11:44 am

Post c6thplayer1
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

Maybe my Steel music has caused this on top of my head.. Hmmm I may have to change my style , I know my volume is OK. Laughing
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/25/15 12:44 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic