Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Just how loud is the music at Southern Illinois Campmeeting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Just how loud is the music at Southern Illinois Campmeeting? doyle
In a post discussing various jobs people have done at Campmeeting, shoe shines, snow cone machine, etc., "6thplayer 1" shared these words: "You could make a small fortune at our camp meeting in southern Il. by just selling ear plugs."

Which raises the question, HOW LOUD is the music at Southern IL. Campmeeting? Nothing negative intended here about that Campmeeting but thought some viewers might have fun with "How Loud Is It?" It's so loud...

Doyle
11/23/15 6:52 pm

Post An early Pentecostal truth... Aaron Scott
"The louder the guitars, the better the service." Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/23/15 8:38 pm

Post c6thplayer1
My wife and I used to attend all of the camp meetings in So. Illinois. One year the sound seemed to be getting louder and louder so I brought a DB level meter and sat in the back. My first measurements were well over 100db using a flat scale.

The following year I measured it again and it pegged my meter at times when the music was playing. On average it was 96 - 98 db. You could actually feel the music in your chest when the meter pegged.

The last year I attended , I asked the pastor of the church if they could turn it down a bit. He said he had no control over it and agreed it was way to loud. That year it pegged my meter again. Even two of our grand kids said it was way to loud. { they were 17 and 19 at the time }.

That was the last year My wife , Both of our Daughters , our son in law and 6 grand kids attended this camp meeting. BTW , we were not the only one complaining about the volume.

If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely.

It is really a serious matter that no one seems to address. But it is no longer my concern so let-er-rip. I'm saving my hearing as well as my families.

I probably shouldn't poke fun about this. People do funny things and just dont see or care about the consequences.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/23/15 11:10 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
c6thplayer1 wrote:
One year the sound seemed to be getting louder and louder so I brought a DB level meter and sat in the back. My first measurements were well over 100db using a flat scale.

C, you shore you wasn't usin a Presbyterian DB level meter? I know fer a fact that a feller can whisper an em Presbo meters will register well over 100db. Try one a them Pennycostal DB meters, I think youy will git a much more realistic reading. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
11/23/15 11:28 pm

Post caveator
c6thplayer1 wrote:
My wife and I used to attend all of the camp meetings in So. Illinois. One year the sound seemed to be getting louder and louder so I brought a DB level meter and sat in the back. My first measurements were well over 100db using a flat scale.

The following year I measured it again and it pegged my meter at times when the music was playing. On average it was 96 - 98 db. You could actually feel the music in your chest when the meter pegged.

The last year I attended , I asked the pastor of the church if they could turn it down a bit. He said he had no control over it and agreed it was way to loud. That year it pegged my meter again. Even two of our grand kids said it was way to loud. { they were 17 and 19 at the time }.

That was the last year My wife , Both of our Daughters , our son in law and 6 grand kids attended this camp meeting. BTW , we were not the only one complaining about the volume.

If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely.

It is really a serious matter that no one seems to address. But it is no longer my concern so let-er-rip. I'm saving my hearing as well as my families.

I probably shouldn't poke fun about this. People do funny things and just dont see or care about the consequences.

This has to be one of the funniest things that I have ever heard! To think that you would really go to the expense of buying your own decibel meter to prove a point is just too funny. I have never been to an Illinois campmeeting, so I have no "dog in the hunt." I do know that, according to OSHA, one can sustain 85db for 3 hours without any affect on your hearing at all. As a matter of fact. city traffic registers at about 85db. You can sustain 100db for a steady 45 minutes before there is any affect at all. For those who like quiet church services, you will get thirty minutes of silence in heaven. After that, John described it as a sound so loud that it sounded like a bowl of living waters. So, enjoy your 30 minutes! Very Happy
Acts-celerater
11/23/15 11:56 pm

Post DrDuck
caveator wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

This has to be one of the funniest things that I have ever heard! To think that you would really go to the expense of buying your own decibel meter to prove a point is just too funny. I have never been to an Illinois campmeeting, so I have no "dog in the hunt." I do know that, according to OSHA, one can sustain 85db for 3 hours without any affect on your hearing at all. As a matter of fact. city traffic registers at about 85db. You can sustain 100db for a steady 45 minutes before there is any affect at all. For those who like quiet church services, you will get thirty minutes of silence in heaven. After that, John described it as a sound so loud that it sounded like a bowl of living waters. So, enjoy your 30 minutes! Very Happy

Not funny in the least. Your post would be funny if the situation were not so serious. It is not unusual for a musician and sane sound operators to own, and hopefully use, decibel meters. In any case, one is not a major investment.
I do not think it is quite at the 100db level but one the two reasons I no longer care to attend the S. GA camp meeting is the sound level. The second is the loud noise that is offered as a music program there. Even with reduced already damaged hearing it is misery in motion. I do not need to have a sound level that is "deafening" to damage my hearing further.
I am dubious of your claims and believe that any time spent hearing such high sound levels as describe in this posting can potentially damage hearing. Probable more so for already diminished hearing.
If the sound level in heaven is going to be that way; I'll take my cabin in a quiet corner of glory land.
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 7:56 am

Post Brandon Bohannon
We had a person in our church in Griffin, GA that brought a decibel meter to church. He showed it to me with the reading he took. He'd regularly stick his fingers in his ears or wear orange ear plugs. He'd shake his head at the sound men and at those on the stage. He often looked like the Jeff Dunham character, Walter. It didn't bother me as it was his opinion and right to voice it. I did often wonder why he came back week after week. His right too I suppose.
Proverbs 3:5-6; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 8:01 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I'll take my cabin in a quiet corner of glory land.

Mind if I join you on the porch? Maybe my grandpa will be there smoking his pipe. Caveator can be over there on the other side with HIS WATCH, timing, to make sure the silence is not longer than the space of a half hour.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/24/15 8:20 am

Post bonnie knox
So, why not turn the music down?

Brandon Bohannon wrote:
We had a person in our church in Griffin, GA that brought a decibel meter to church. He showed it to me with the reading he took. He'd regularly stick his fingers in his ears or wear orange ear plugs. He'd shake his head at the sound men and at those on the stage. He often looked like the Jeff Dunham character, Walter. It didn't bother me as it was his opinion and right to voice it. I did often wonder why he came back week after week. His right too I suppose.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/24/15 8:20 am

Post georgiapath
If you can't play good, play loud. Laughing Laughing Acts-dicted
11/24/15 8:22 am

Post DrDuck
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
I'll take my cabin in a quiet corner of glory land.

Mind if I join you on the porch? Maybe my grandpa will be there smoking his pipe. Caveator can be over there on the other side with HIS WATCH, timing, to make sure the silence is not longer than the space of a half hour.

I'll leave the light on for you.
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 8:26 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I do know that, according to OSHA, one can sustain 85db for 3 hours without any affect on your hearing at all. As a matter of fact. city traffic registers at about 85db. You can sustain 100db for a steady 45 minutes before there is any affect at all.

I doubt that is taking into consideration the effect on children's ears. Nor does it take into consideration the noise a person may have been exposed to throughout the day before he arrives at camp meeting. Really, there is just no good reason to have the sound over 85db.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/24/15 8:27 am

Post DrDuck
georgiapath wrote:
If you can't play good, play loud. Laughing Laughing
Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Rolling Eyes
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 8:28 am

Post DrDuck
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
I do know that, according to OSHA, one can sustain 85db for 3 hours without any affect on your hearing at all. As a matter of fact. city traffic registers at about 85db. You can sustain 100db for a steady 45 minutes before there is any affect at all.

I doubt that is taking into consideration the effect on children's ears. Nor does it take into consideration the noise a person may have been exposed to throughout the day before he arrives at camp meeting. Really, there is just no good reason to have the sound over 85db.

Exactly right! Isn't OSHA a government agency. Enough said.
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 8:33 am

Post (L) caveator
This conversation caused me to look up this good old song by the Crabb Family. Be sure to turn the volume down before it starts playing. Shocked

http://youtu.be/iAApDGN_mO4
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 8:42 am

Post c6thplayer1
caveator wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

Nice post Cav. First of all I didnt purchase a sound meter to prove a point. I own a recording studio and have all of the gear required to run this studio. The db level meter has been a part of my studio for years.

Secondly I see that you have thoroughly researched the OSHA recommendations you stated. Heres the rest of it.

" The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has recommended that all worker exposures to noise should be controlled below a level equivalent to 85 dBA for eight hours to minimize occupational noise induced hearing loss. NIOSH has found that significant noise-induced hearing loss occurs at the exposure levels equivalent to the OSHA PEL based on updated information obtained from literature reviews. NIOSH also recommends a 3 dBA exchange rate so that every increase by 3 dBA doubles the amount of the noise and halves the recommended amount of exposure time."
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Heres what funny. I play steel guitar in a country band every week as well as being the keyboard player at our church so I like music a little on the loud side. However I am very aware of dangerous levels music so I see that it is controlled. So when I tell someone about a level problem and they ignore the proven facts its no skin off my nose.

Also , as a retired Transmission and Electrical Protection engineer with a major telephone company I have many qualifications as an acoustic engineer which entails all safety issues connected to the transmission of wavelengths in the audio range.

But as I said earlier , since I no longer attend these ear crushers it is of no concern to me other than a little fun with the situation. So Let-er-Rip.
11/24/15 11:10 am

Post DrDuck
c6thplayer1 wrote:
caveator wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

Nice post Cav. First of all I didnt purchase a sound meter to prove a point. I own a recording studio and have all of the gear required to run this studio. The db level meter has been a part of my studio for years.

Secondly I see that you have thoroughly researched the OSHA recommendations you stated. Heres the rest of it.

" The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has recommended that all worker exposures to noise should be controlled below a level equivalent to 85 dBA for eight hours to minimize occupational noise induced hearing loss. NIOSH has found that significant noise-induced hearing loss occurs at the exposure levels equivalent to the OSHA PEL based on updated information obtained from literature reviews. NIOSH also recommends a 3 dBA exchange rate so that every increase by 3 dBA doubles the amount of the noise and halves the recommended amount of exposure time."
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Heres what funny. I play steel guitar in a country band every week as well as being the keyboard player at our church so I like music a little on the loud side. However I am very aware of dangerous levels music so I see that it is controlled. So when I tell someone about a level problem and they ignore the proven facts its no skin off my nose.

Also , as a retired Transmission and Electrical Protection engineer with a major telephone company I have many qualifications as an acoustic engineer which entails all safety issues connected to the transmission of wavelengths in the audio range.

But as I said earlier , since I no longer attend these ear crushers it is of no concern to me other than a little fun with the situation. So Let-er-Rip.

Cav, is this you after reading this post? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Acts-celerater
11/24/15 11:51 am

Post Kyle Morrow
When I pastored in Birmingham I had a guy who would regularly point at his ears during the message. I just looked over him. God's not deaf, but he's not nervous either. What's funny is when I had his favorite evangelist preach, he didn't say a Word, and he was much louder than me.
11/24/15 12:15 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Kyle Morrow wrote:
When I pastored in Birmingham I had a guy who would regularly point at his ears during the message. I just looked over him. God's not deaf, but he's not nervous either. What's funny is when I had his favorite evangelist preach, he didn't say a Word, and he was much louder than me.

I realize that your not going to please everyone with sound levels. Just keep it safe.
11/24/15 4:16 pm

Post LOUD not funny, and THANKS c6th! Cojak
Thanks, and it is amazing the folks that will swear that smoking can cause cancer, and most smokers will tell you they know a man who smoked a pack or 2 a day and lived to be 90! They do not point out the ones who died in pain.
That said, HEARING LOSS IS NOT IMMEDIATE. Not everyone will pay down the road, but a big percentage will. I speak from experience, (The military were very late in supplying mickey mouse ears and other protection. WWII and the gunners on ships lost their hearing over the years. although it was not music but helo's and planes, a few guns etc.

Now I am deaf.It did not show up until I was 40. Then I was deaf by 69. I now hear after a cochlear implant. Most folks sound like Donald Duck but at least I hear. Do you want to hear ducks sing? your grand kids sound like DD?

I don't feel sorry for any of you who hear the warnings and LAUGH about it, once you start saying, I hear, I just don't understand. You are headed that way. Maybe if everyone would speak up, you could hear. Or speak plainly and not mumble.

I feel sorry for the kids, babies and young people who continue to get hit with 90-1xx DB. Being hard of hearing is bad, but being deaf absolutely, ain't no fun! Confused Evil or Very Mad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/24/15 8:25 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic