Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Did Jesus Not Really Know?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Did Jesus Not Really Know? cogsteeler
Did Jesus not really know when he was to return? Or is there some other explanation for this and other scriptures pointing to His imminent return?
If he did know, wasn't he misleading the people?

"Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Matthew 16:28

I know He wanted people to be watching and waiting for his return....but can you shed some additional light on the subject? I have to answer this question among others....for an unbeliever.....THANKS
11/18/15 8:48 am

Post Eddie Robbins
The question is, does the Father know something that the Son does not know. The Son probably didn't know when He was walking on earth but does know now. Not a theological answer but it's the best guess I have. Smile Acts-pert Poster
11/18/15 8:58 am

Post cogsteeler
That is how I feel.....but I would like some deeper answers if someone has them....PLEASE! New Member
11/18/15 9:07 am

Post JLarry
I don't know, Margaret.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
11/18/15 10:01 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Matt. 16:28 refers most likely to the Transfiguration in the very next chapter.

In His incarnation, our Lord voluntarily limited himself to human limitations; He was not omnipresent, omnipotent, nor omniscient in His incarnate state prior to His resurrection and glorification.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/18/15 10:27 am

Post cogsteeler
Please consider this and comment PLEASE!

Matthew 16:28 states: “Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.” Followers were looking for and preaching that they would see Christ return in their lifetime. I believe that the “Son of man coming in His Kingdom” could be pointing to the pouring out of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, the planting of the gospel church. The Holy Spirit points to Jesus. In John 15: 26, Jesus states, “But when the Comforter (The Holy Spirit) is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.” Many then present lived to see it and saw Christianity planted in the world.
11/18/15 10:42 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
It seems to me that the context indicates the most likely reference is to what the disciples were to see in the Transfiguration. Pentecost doesn't seem to be a likely fulfillment, since that was the Spirit coming in great power, not the Son. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/18/15 10:46 am

Post cogsteeler
And this lead to the teaching and belief that they would actually see Christ's return in their day? New Member
11/18/15 10:48 am

Post Just two thoughts... Aaron Scott
John saw it in a vision (Revelation).

Maybe, as crazy as it sounds, someone is still alive. Who knows?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/18/15 10:52 am

Post Re: Did Jesus Not Really Know? bradfreeman
cogsteeler wrote:
Did Jesus not really know when he was to return? Or is there some other explanation for this and other scriptures pointing to His imminent return?
If he did know, wasn't he misleading the people?

"Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Matthew 16:28

I know He wanted people to be watching and waiting for his return....but can you shed some additional light on the subject? I have to answer this question among others....for an unbeliever.....THANKS

He came just like He said He would, before some of those standing there died. He wasn't wrong.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
11/18/15 11:06 am

Post cogsteeler
I need more input...THANKS. Now, consider this:

Matthew 16:28 states: “Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.” If you read on into Matthew 17, you read of the story of the Transfiguration of Jesus. The Lord took Peter, James and John up a mountain to pray. While praying, His personal appearance was changed into a glorified form, and His clothing became dazzling white. Moses and Elijah appeared and talked with Jesus about His death that would soon take place. When a cloud enveloped them, a voice said, “This is My Son, whom I have chosen, whom I love; listen to Him!”. Moses and Elijah represented the LAW and by God’s declaration to “listen to Him” he was introducing Jesus, who is the new and living way, replacing the old – He is the fulfillment of the Law and the countless prophecies in the Old Testament. Also, in His glorified form they saw a preview of His coming glorification and enthronement as King of kings and Lord of lords, which will transpire during the Millennial Reign at the end of the Tribulation period.

Please....more comments...important
11/18/15 11:38 am

Post diakoneo
cogsteeler wrote:
Please consider this and comment PLEASE!

Matthew 16:28 states: “Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.” Followers were looking for and preaching that they would see Christ return in their lifetime. I believe that the “Son of man coming in His Kingdom” could be pointing to the pouring out of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, the planting of the gospel church. The Holy Spirit points to Jesus. In John 15: 26, Jesus states, “But when the Comforter (The Holy Spirit) is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.” Many then present lived to see it and saw Christianity planted in the world.

For me the key phrase that leads me to believe he is talking about the transfiguration is "some standing here". Pentecost would be most (except Judas Iscariot) and the context of what happens next. The fact that it occurs in a mountain (like Moses at Sinai seeing the glory of the Lord) also.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/18/15 12:28 pm

Post UncleJD
either
1. The witnesses of the resurrection as the event that was the true beginning of His Church
2. The coming of the Church Age
3. The Transfiguration

Some saw all 3 of those.

I don't think he was speaking of His final return.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/18/15 4:02 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
cogsteeler wrote:
And this lead to the teaching and belief that they would actually see Christ's return in their day?

Actually, the scriptural evidence is not at all supportive of the idea that the earliest Christians all believed they would see Christ's return in their day. They all knew, for instance, of Christ's own words that the gospel of the kingdom must be preached into all nations for a witness, and THEN shall the end come, and that they would be witnesses unto Jesus to the uttermost parts of the earth. They also all knew that according to Jesus' own words, Peter would live to be an old man before he died. Paul also taught plainly that the end could not come until the man of sin first be revealed. These are just a few reasons why the early church could not possibly have affirmed the idea that Jesus could return at any moment in their lifetime.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/18/15 4:19 pm

Post bradfreeman
Yes, they believed it was happening in their lifetime. Those were last days of an old covenant. Israel received the end of that covenant (having rejected the time of their visitation and the only sacrifice for sins that remained to keep the Deut. 28 curses of their covenant off of them) in 70 AD. God poured out His Spirit to institute the new covenant (the letter kills, the Spirit gives life) that we live under.

Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. Mat. 23:34-36

For these men are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only the third hour of the day; 16 but this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel:
17 ‘And it shall be in the last days,’ God says,
‘That I will pour forth of My Spirit on all mankind;
And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
And your young men shall see visions,
And your old men shall dream dreams;
Acts 2:15-17

“For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” Philippians 3:20

in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. Heb. 1:2

Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. Heb. 9:26

Your gold and your silver have rusted; and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire. It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure! James 5:3

“The end of all things is at hand.” 1 Peter 4:7

Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour. 1 Jn. 2:18

Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.Revelation 1:3

“And behold, I am coming soon.Revelation 22:7

Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.” Revelation 22:12

He who testifies to these things says, ‘Surely I am coming soon.’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!Revelation 22:20

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
11/19/15 7:44 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Matt. 16:28 refers most likely to the Transfiguration in the very next chapter.

In His incarnation, our Lord voluntarily limited himself to human limitations; He was not omnipresent, omnipotent, nor omniscient in His incarnate state prior to His resurrection and glorification.

Exactly. Post glorification Jesus does indeed know when he will return.
11/19/15 2:05 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic