Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A Baptist Bible College or Rhema: If these were your only two options?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A Baptist Bible College or Rhema: If these were your only two options? Old Time Country Preacher
If you lived in an area where the only two options ya had to go to Bible college was a Baptist school or WOF's Rhema, an you bein a Pentecostal, which one would ya choose? Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 12:22 am

Post Link
Probably the Baptist school.
11/4/15 3:49 am

Post bonnie knox
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary is in my area. I believe I'd pick Rhema over SEBTS any day. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/4/15 7:57 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Ummmm, gotta fast/pray fer ya on at one Miss Bonnie.

Without fail, without hesitation, wouldn't even have pray a split second prayer, in the twinkling of a eyelid, it would be the Baptist school. The old timer could/would NEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVEEERRRRRRR--in good conscience--recommend Rhema.
Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 8:28 am

Post bonnie knox
Ole Timer, I don't mind if you fast and pray for me. But don't let it be about a hypothetical thing like which Bible school I would attend. I have no plans at this time to attend a Bible school at all. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/4/15 8:39 am

bonnie knox wrote:
Ole Timer, I don't mind if you fast and pray for me. But don't let it be about a hypothetical thing like which Bible school I would attend. I have no plans at this time to attend a Bible school at all.

As close a ya are to SEBTS, hey, you an the chief could take a few courses here an there.
Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 9:27 am

Post No Question FG Minister
Baptist Acts-celerater
11/4/15 10:14 am

Post caveator
Rhema Acts-celerater
11/4/15 10:18 am

Post Re: A Baptist Bible College or Rhema: If these were your only two options? Quiet Wyatt
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
If you lived in an area where the only two options ya had to go to Bible college was a Baptist school or WOF's Rhema, an you bein a Pentecostal, which one would ya choose?

Neither.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/4/15 10:19 am

Post bonnie knox
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Ole Timer, I don't mind if you fast and pray for me. But don't let it be about a hypothetical thing like which Bible school I would attend. I have no plans at this time to attend a Bible school at all.

As close a ya are to SEBTS, hey, you an the chief could take a few courses here an there.

You a hoot, Ole Timer.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/4/15 10:22 am

I pray a special prayer today for all these folk leanin toward Rhema. At Rhe-Mite spirit will take em down the wrong path. I pray they will "come to themselves" an "see the error" a their way. I speak it. I decree it. I declare it. It shall be.

Romans 4:17
Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 10:50 am

Post COG a Long Time
It depends on the teachings of the Baptist college --- you know they can be like Baskin-Robbins ice cream and come in 31 different flavors! If it is a fundamental, KJV only "toten" bible believing college , I probably would not attend. However, if it were Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., enroll me!

My grandson attended Lee University for his undergraduate degree, Liberty University for his Masters, and Duke University for his ThD. He says he did it because he wants to be "well-rounded."

Even though he has these diverse educational experiences, he believes and preaches just like his grandfather and great-grandfather. He believes in salvation, sanctification, the Holy Ghost baptism with speaking in tongues as the initial evidence, and "holiness to be God's standard of living for His people." If he weren't so modest, he would say, like the apostle Paul, he "speaks in tongues more than ye all."

The odd thing is: his great-grandfather had no degrees, his father graduated from Lee College (University) with one degree, and now the grandson has three earned degrees. But, they all preached/preach the same message, with the same anointing, and with the same results! To God Be the Glory!
11/4/15 11:14 am

Post There is NO WAY brotherjames
I would ever recommend a 5 point Calvinism school over one that holds to Trinitarian, Free will and the Baptism in the Holy Spirit as normative. Are you crazy OTCP? I mean really. COme on, you might not like some of the WOF teachings but I can attest that Rhema and K. Hagin Sr. are places of integrity and mainly solid theology. Give it a rest. I know many fine men and women who went there and while a few of them might not agree with you on a couple of things, in the main doctrines there is NO COMPARISON to a Calvinistic school. OSAS? I don't think so. Acts-celerater
11/4/15 12:46 pm

Post Link
I suppose it would depend on the Bible college. If it were a KJV only place, I probably wouldn't go for that. I said Baptist over rhema because I'd think on average I would be more likely to have opportunities to engage in real scholarship. I've found conversations with a fresh rhema grad who was a friend of mine who just got out and some other folks who went to rhema a bit frustrating at times. If I talk Bible, he'd tell me some down home story from Kenneth Hagin, Sr. That was before Sr. passed away.

I've also read a little of Hagin's literature, and whenever he tried to deal with anything that had to do with Greek and Hebrew, I'd be shaking my head. It just obviously wasn't the way to deal with it. The idea that God never does anything harmful to me because one grammatical form in the Hebrew language could be taken as 'allowed' and not 'caused' in certain contexts-- without checking for that Hebrew form in all the cases where God did something harmful to men, just isn't good scholarship. And how do we get around the Red Sea? If God caused the waters to pour onto the Egyptians by the breath of his nostrils, or if He allowed the water to pour on them by the breath of His nostrils, how is He not responsible? God takes plenty of credit for things like that in the Bible.

I find that whole way of thinking more frustrating than dealing with Baptist theology.

Is rhema into OSAS? I've met some WOFers that seemed to lean that way, but I don't know about the Hagins.

Last edited by Link on 11/4/15 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
11/4/15 1:44 pm

Post Re: There is NO WAY Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
I can attest that Rhema and K. Hagin Sr. are places of integrity and mainly solid theology.

Nope, no can do BJ. Rhema's theology aint mine.

Not many "Baptist" schools (Liberty, etc.) teach 5-point Calvinism, those are more Reformed/Presbyterian/etc.. An I can deal a whole heap easier--even though I don't believe it--with OSAS than the fringe of Charismaniac/Woffie theology.
Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 1:47 pm

Post Loved Liberty p5harri
As someone who considers himself Pentecostal and also a graduate of Liberty University I can can give an honest opinion.

First and foremost Liberty does not promote a OSAS theology, none of my required reading ever leaned that way either.

The theological studies there were second to none. I had some great professors and not once was my belief system as a Pentecostal ever questioned. As a student, I also submitted position papers to faculty who were both Reformed and not Reformed.

One particular paper in my New Testament Survey class was over "Is speaking in tongues still for today?" My answer was to the affirmative with scripture and analysis to back it up. I got an A and very little comments back from my professor, in addition, the vast majority of my class also answered in the affirmative as to tongue still being relevant and they were actually a great deal of Baptists in the group. Dr. Ed Hindson's Old Testament Survey was one of my favorites and I still refer to the textbook.

Thanks
Patrick
11/4/15 2:27 pm

Post I would suggest brotherjames
that for the most part Liberty Univ., while founded by Jerry Falwell who was a 5 point Calvinist for sure, has become in recent years much more "liberal" in their theology and would be considered more of a "Christian" univ than a "Baptist" univ. When it began, Liberty would not even consider an applicant much less an employee who believed in speaking in tongues as normative. Today, as noted above, that is not the case. So, I would not classify them as a "Baptist "School per se.

I was thinking more along the lines of a situation I encountered a number of years ago. My children, along with about 1/3 of the students, went to a fairly large middle & high school that was run by a local GARBC Baptist Church. Some of their curriculum came from Bob Jones University ( a particularly glaring example of a BAPTIST/CALVINIST college). In this curriculum's religious studies course, one of the questions was " List some of the reasons why Pentecostal/Charismatic theology is NOT of God." Well, that raised some serious red flags of course with me and many others. I marched myself to the next meeting of the PTA/School Board and asked this question. "Is this school a Baptist school in a Baptist Church or a Christian school in a Baptist church? Because if this is a Baptist School in a Baptist Church we will be leaving and starting a Christian School at my church next week." It was certainly appropriate for them to be a Baptist School but don't expect me to encourage my children or any other Pentecostal/Charismatics to go there. After much discussion, it was decided they would be a Christian School and tolerant of others beliefs. They would not classify us as a cult and be respectful of our beliefs but they would not change their opinion of Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses which I was willing to endorse as well.

THis was in my mind when I read the OP. I would myself endorse Liberty over Rhema but as I said, I don't consider Liberty to be in the strict Baptist tradition at the moment. I would endorse Rhema over Bob Jones Univ. for sure!!!!!
Acts-celerater
11/4/15 2:58 pm

Post Re: I would suggest Old Time Country Preacher
brotherjames wrote:
Jerry Falwell who was a 5 point Calvinist for sure

Nope, Falwell was not a 5-point Calvinist. Here he is on YouTube callin Limited Atonement heresy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMxB5EWMek
Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 5:12 pm

Post Da Sheik
If those were the only two options that's an easy choice for me; I would choose the Baptist school. Acts Enthusiast
11/4/15 5:16 pm

Da Sheik wrote:
If those were the only two options that's an easy choice for me; I would choose the Baptist school.

The Baptist school is the only logical choice, lessen a feller believes Hagin's books, much a which was plagiarized from EW Kenyon, an believes the kinda nonsense preached by the Copelands.
Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 5:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic