Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Less Americans believe in God and Prayer, Did WE contribute?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Less Americans believe in God and Prayer, Did WE contribute? Cojak
According to another survey, less people believe in God now than in 2007. I wonder why that is?
I was brought up in a parsonage, I was taught to BELIEVE ministers of the Gospel. I heard all and sang: ‘All the promises in the book are mine, every chapter every verse every line.’ We never went hungry, my mama could make gravy from any meat, from squirrel to cow, but mostly rabbit growing up. I believed God would supply my needs as my daddy said (Not my wants). My daddy’s family never had insurance, but neither did most of his congregations. WE (the church and Christians) prayed for the sick. The sick were healed , suffered until they got well or died. It was a simple life.
So as a rule my prayers and beliefs were for survival, and it worked. Today I hear too much (?) that as a Christian we will live well, we will see miracles, you make debts, the payments become part of your needs, so expect God to supply it. Does he? Every time?

No Sir, he doesn’t. So the young Christian who gets married, goes to church pays his tithes buys all the adult toys, the boat, skidoo, SUV, yearly ticket to some sports team, etc. Then finds he has bit off more than he can chew. What is wrong God? Where is the miracle?
The fight with the spouse over what to pay? Etc.

The young guy/gal begins to wonder about all those ‘Promises in the Book’, Where are you when I need you God?

In our interpreting of scriptures somehow we Christians have not presented GOD, the WORD and our Lord, who had no place to lay his head, WRONG. WE the church have promised Pie in the sky.
I know this is fodder for OTCP, but it isn’t only the Prosperity preachers who do this, it happens in the local COG with 15 members.
Yeah, I’m upset, I wasn’t too good at teaching my boys either, I expected them to learn by example.
Embarassed Some blame it on the great fallng away, but did I help or hurt the problem? Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/3/15 1:44 pm

Post Cojak
I just want to hear of God's Love, and that he cares for me as as much or more than the sparrow. That we are called to be followers of Christ. Live and love and tell others of His love for me and the masses. The simple message, I want people to follow the Lord for what He is, not for what he can do for us. Embarassed
11/3/15 1:54 pm

Post Re: Less Americans believe in God and Prayer, Did WE contribute? Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:
I know this is fodder for OTCP, but it isn’t only the Prosperity preachers who do this, it happens in the local COG with 15 members.

This aint fodder fer the old timer, Cojak, cause you dead right, it aint just the prosperity profits. They is folk settin all over COG pews/chairs what eats Word of Faith theology up. This thing is bigger than just PROSPERITY, that's just one component of the larger picture.
Acts-pert Poster
11/3/15 2:25 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
The God taught often today is simply Santa Claus anymore. he must do what we tell Him if we have enough faith.

When you wake up and realize Santa Claus isn't real - you quit believing.
11/3/15 5:48 pm

Post Cojak
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
The God taught often today is simply Santa Claus anymore. he must do what we tell Him if we have enough faith.

You put it more succinctly my friend, Thanks NBF! Thumb Up
11/3/15 7:07 pm

Post Link
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

I didn't know folks from Florida or any part of the south used 'anymore' that way, but otherwise, that's a quotable quote.
11/3/15 9:17 pm

Post Link
Fewer Americans believe in God according to the survey.

I don't want our grammar and spelling to get too lose around here.

I mean loose.

Good point about running up debts. I still believe God is merciful to help us pay debts, off, too.

I knew a missionary from a WOF background. In most of his preaching, you couldn't tell him from a Pentecost even though he went to rhema.

He shared a testimony with me that back when he was in the oil business in the '80s and the price of oil dropped, he was in real trouble with the oil wells he and some other people were invested in. He was going to be in serious financial trouble, looking at bankruptcy. He said he had a really nice Jeep that was just a toy, and heard about sowing a seed by giving. So he decided to donate it to some missionaries. He said he cleaned that thing up, got up underneath it and cleaned out the bottom part of the Jeep and gave it away.

Then he had the meeting with the investors about the oil well. To his surprise, their decision was to buy him out of the wells for $300K.

I believe he had investment-related debts rather than consumption-related debts.
11/3/15 9:44 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
I knew a missionary from a WOF background. In most of his preaching, you couldn't tell him from a Pentecost even though he went to rhema.

He shared a testimony with me that back when he was in the oil business in the '80s and the price of oil dropped, he was in real trouble with the oil wells he and some other people were invested in. He was going to be in serious financial trouble, looking at bankruptcy. He said he had a really nice Jeep that was just a toy, and heard about sowing a seed by giving. So he decided to donate it to some missionaries. He said he cleaned that thing up, got up underneath it and cleaned out the bottom part of the Jeep and gave it away.

Then he had the meeting with the investors about the oil well. To his surprise, their decision was to buy him out of the wells for $300K.

I have no doubt that God can and does work like this at times. God is a God of provision. Where it becomes nonsensical, non-biblical and just plain ole heretical is when WOF teachin says this is somehow a guaranteed thing, in ever case, in ever generation, no matter what. God deals with each person according to his perfect will for their life, now some 1-2-3 outline that works 100% a the time in the same way in ever single case.

An I do believe, Link, the good Lord can forgive this feller for attendin Rhema. Wink
Acts-pert Poster
11/4/15 12:18 am

Post Cojak
Concerning God's provisions, I have a wife who would pay tithes no matter the circumstance. Her mother was the same. Her mother due to good management and being true to God Built and paid for three homes on cotton mill pay and raised 7 kids.
she never considered it a miracle, but I sure did.

My wife and I have always been blessed. We have been able to bless others. I have never thought once of giving to get. My blessings was giving.

I could have went bankrupt like friends did during Mr. Carter's presidency, but I didn't. It is hard to sell a house at 24% interest. We had one left we were able to sell it at cost, but we did not go bankrupt. God helps us but He must expect us to at least try to do right.

WE had a family with two homes come to the Mt. Holly church and ask the church to help pay the mortgages. Our people were mill workers and most rented houses. The houses the folks wanted us to make payments on were valued at 200k our folk were living in 50k houses. Some things don't make sense. I could not in good conscience agree unless they sold one house. they refused.

My point is, some how people do not think of the after life, but the here and now. They get the impression if they want it, they can be rich. As NBF said, many preach Jesus as SAnta Claus. Embarassed
11/4/15 1:18 am

Post georgiapath
I have always told my daughter that I will help her if she needs it, as long as she does the best she can, but if she sits down and expects me to give it to her, that's not going to happen.

I think God expects the same from us.
Acts-dicted
11/4/15 9:56 am

Post Re: Less Americans believe in God and Prayer, Did WE contribute? Ventureforth
Cojak wrote:
According to another survey, less people believe in God now than in 2007. I wonder why that is?
I was brought up in a parsonage, I was taught to BELIEVE ministers of the Gospel. I heard all and sang: ‘All the promises in the book are mine, every chapter every verse every line.’ We never went hungry, my mama could make gravy from any meat, from squirrel to cow, but mostly rabbit growing up. I believed God would supply my needs as my daddy said (Not my wants). My daddy’s family never had insurance, but neither did most of his congregations. WE (the church and Christians) prayed for the sick. The sick were healed , suffered until they got well or died. It was a simple life.
So as a rule my prayers and beliefs were for survival, and it worked. Today I hear too much (?) that as a Christian we will live well, we will see miracles, you make debts, the payments become part of your needs, so expect God to supply it. Does he? Every time?

No Sir, he doesn’t. So the young Christian who gets married, goes to church pays his tithes buys all the adult toys, the boat, skidoo, SUV, yearly ticket to some sports team, etc. Then finds he has bit off more than he can chew. What is wrong God? Where is the miracle?
The fight with the spouse over what to pay? Etc.

The young guy/gal begins to wonder about all those ‘Promises in the Book’, Where are you when I need you God?

In our interpreting of scriptures somehow we Christians have not presented GOD, the WORD and our Lord, who had no place to lay his head, WRONG. WE the church have promised Pie in the sky.
Yeah, I’m upset, I wasn’t too good at teaching my boys either, I expected them to learn by example.
Embarassed Some blame it on the great fallng away, but did I help or hurt the problem? Confused

Brother Cojak, did you see this survey in an article?
Acts-celerater
11/4/15 2:48 pm

Post Re: Less Americans believe in God and Prayer, Did WE contribute? Cojak
Ventureforth wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/03/fewer-americans-certain-god-exists-study-shows/

I got it off AOL but I believe it is a PEW Research Poll.

PS: When I went to find it, I happened to run into something I did not know existed, "The Friendly Atheist Page" of course it was featured there also. Shocked
11/5/15 5:08 pm

Post Cojak
Quote MA's blog

Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between our wants and our needs. But the Lord’s Prayer in two sentences names all we really need for our daily sustenance. It also points out that the way our needs are met is directly related to how we meet the needs of others.

I read this on a layman's blog. I don't know if this is original with Ma or not, but I liked it. Cool
11/5/15 5:11 pm

Post Re: Less Americans believe in God and Prayer, Did WE contribute? Ventureforth
Cojak wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/03/fewer-americans-certain-god-exists-study-shows/

PS: When I went to find it, I happened to run into something I did not know existed, "The Friendly Atheist Page" of course it was featured there also. Shocked

Thanks Cojak.

Quote:
A higher percentage say they regularly read scriptures, participate in small prayer or study groups and share their faith with others.

Well, that's good. Maybe the difference from the last poll is, in part, that more of those who were really "on the fence"(so to speak) in the last poll are falling away.

Quote:
At the same time, the report found growing strength among evangelicals. The overall number of evangelicals rose to 62 million people, or a quarter of the population, and evangelicals were the only major Christian group between 2007 and 2014 to gain more members than they lost, Pew researchers said.

This is good. Does this say that many of those outside of evangelical Christianity made up the difference in the polls? I don't know.

Quote:
People with no religious ties are now the largest group of Democratic Party members and those who lean Democratic, comprising 28 percent of the coalition, compared to 19 percent in 2007.

Interesting. But not that surprising. Just confirming.

Quote:
The survey also found nearly every major religion was notably more accepting of same-sex relationships, including among groups that have been most vocally opposed to gay marriage. The change is driven strongly by younger generations.

Maybe this is a clue to the poll results. Children of the recent past are now making choices about beliefs.
I also wonder if the slant on information(science, history) that's pushed in the schools, on media and internet are swaying them away from God.

Just some thoughts. Thanks again.
Acts-celerater
11/5/15 5:48 pm

Post Re: Less Americans believe in God and Prayer, Did WE contribute? Cojak
Ventureforth wrote:
Maybe this is a clue to the poll results. Children of the recent past are now making choices about beliefs.
I also wonder if the slant on information(science, history) that's pushed in the schools, on media and internet are swaying them away from God.

Just some thoughts. Thanks again.

Thanks VF for including more depth plus comments. You may be onto something there (the bolded part). Cool
11/5/15 7:00 pm

Cojak wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:

I just found an article about bizarre responses from some atheists.

Here's an excerpt:
Quote:
He continued, “There are a few people who describe themselves as ‘atheists’ or ‘agnostics’ when asked about their religious identity who then subsequently say they believe in heaven.”

Smith said that the dynamic isn’t just at play among atheists, as there are self-identified Christians, Muslims and other religious individuals, too, who embrace labels, but don’t believe in heaven.

“But here, again, there’s less than a one-to-one correspondence between religious identity on the one hand and religious beliefs and practices on the other,” he said. “In short, people’s religious identities and beliefs and practices don’t always go together in a way we might expect.

I'd wonder why those atheists and agnostics who say they believe in heaven decided to label themselves as such. They believe in an afterlife but not or maybe not God.
Acts-celerater
11/6/15 2:26 pm

Post Ventureforth
Link:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/06/when-you-look-closely-at-atheists-beliefs-about-god-heaven-hell-and-the-bible-youll-notice-something-seemingly-bizarre/
Acts-celerater
11/6/15 2:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic