Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you believe in a literal Adam and Eve?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do you believe in a literal Adam and Eve? caseyleejones
Allegorical perhaps? Can one believe that it is allegorical and not be heretical?

thanks
Acts-perienced Poster
10/31/15 4:33 pm

Post How big is your God? brotherjames
Why would you diminish the Word of God to fit the world's interpretation of history. God by His very nature is supernatural and if He is not supernatural He is not God. And if God is supernatural then how difficult is it for Him to do exactly what the Bible describes to us He did? This is the overriding problem of the Church. We can't by rational thought understand or believe the stories the way they are written in the Bible. They are too fantastic. But, where do we stop rationalizing? Creation? How about the resurrection? Rationalize away the resurrection and you have no Jesus and before you're done, no God. An allegory? No. Truth for those who can believe in aN extra-ordinary, super-natural God!!! Acts-celerater
10/31/15 4:50 pm

Post c6thplayer1
I guess one would first have to understand the stability factor { MU }of each.
Then equate that with the Transient Ambient Thermal Impedance of the minds of those doing the analyzation.

In other words only a small amount of current may be generated in the minds of some during analyzation thus making the final output thought negligible. Thus inaccuracies may occur. Cool

Last edited by c6thplayer1 on 10/31/15 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/31/15 5:01 pm

Post Yes famousflavius
I still believe. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
10/31/15 5:01 pm

Post Re: How big is your God? caseyleejones
brotherjames wrote:
Why would you diminish the Word of God to fit the world's interpretation of history. God by His very nature is supernatural and if He is not supernatural He is not God. And if God is supernatural then how difficult is it for Him to do exactly what the Bible describes to us He did? This is the overriding problem of the Church. We can't by rational thought understand or believe the stories the way they are written in the Bible. They are too fantastic. But, where do we stop rationalizing? Creation? How about the resurrection? Rationalize away the resurrection and you have no Jesus and before you're done, no God. An allegory? No. Truth for those who can believe in aN extra-ordinary, super-natural God!!!

So would you say all the parables are actual events? How does the allegorical Adam and Eve diminish the word of God?
Acts-perienced Poster
10/31/15 5:04 pm

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
I guess one would first have to understand the stability factor { MU }of each.
Then equate that with the Transient Ambient Thermal Impedance of the minds of those doing the analyzation.

In other words only a small amount of current may be generated in the minds of some during analyzation thus making the final output thought negligible. Thus inaccuracies may occur. Cool

Amen, Amen and AMEN!

Hey man that is good! I always liked MU instead of Impedance! Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/31/15 5:13 pm

Post Re: Do you believe in a literal Adam and Eve? Cojak
caseyleejones wrote:
Allegorical perhaps? Can one believe that it is allegorical and not be heretical?

thanks

1. Yes!Cool
2. huh uh! Evil or Very Mad
3. possible? Confused
10/31/15 5:17 pm

Post bonnie knox
Unless you believe we gradually evolved from a different life form, you would have to believe that there WAS a first man and a first woman.
A literal Adam and Eve makes sense to me.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/31/15 5:23 pm

Post casey brotherjames
A parable is similar to an allegory, but the story of Adam and Eve given to Moses by God Himself to write down for posterity so we would understand our "beginnings" is NOT a parable nor an allegory. Now, it may be illogical to the human and scientific mind. That's what I meant by diminishing God. If I have to be able to logically determine God's Word is true when science or logic says it can't be, then I can't believe in the story He told me. And if one part is based on a lie then might not others be as well? However, my God is a big, omnipotent God who can do anything. So it is logical for me to dare to believe all His Word because He may have said some preposterous things (at least to some) but God is able to do exceeding, abundantly more than we have ever dreamed or imagined. Parables are stories but When it says, "and God said", I choose to believe it as fact. Acts-celerater
10/31/15 8:32 pm

Post mytimewillcome
While I believe in a literal Adam, I would give someone who didn't some grace. Some come very scientific, analytical backgrounds and struggle with things a 6 day creation period and such.

If we kicked them out of the church for a belief in an allegorical Adam, we lose out on a testimony within communities we need access.

The natural progression and question is "where do we draw the line?"

The gospel of Jesus crucitied and rose again is essential along with the Apostles Creed. If we have that as the foundation, the Holy Spirit will work on the rest.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/31/15 9:44 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
caseyleejones wrote:
Can one believe that it is allegorical and not be heretical?

Some may be able to do so, Casey, but not you. If you believe it's allegorical, ummm, it's heretical. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
10/31/15 10:59 pm

Post That is me... caseyleejones
mytimewillcome wrote:
While I believe in a literal Adam, I would give someone who didn't some grace. Some come very scientific, analytical backgrounds and struggle with things a 6 day creation period and such.

If we kicked them out of the church for a belief in an allegorical Adam, we lose out on a testimony within communities we need access.

The natural progression and question is "where do we draw the line?"

The gospel of Jesus crucitied and rose again is essential along with the Apostles Creed. If we have that as the foundation, the Holy Spirit will work on the rest.

I believe in a literal Adam and Eve......this is kind of where I am....
Acts-perienced Poster
11/1/15 8:27 am

Post How can this be JLarry
I assume most who post here are CoG, or have ties with the CoG.

With that being said, how can anyone possibly believe the recorded Biblical account of the first man and woman, Adam and Eve to be anything other than REAL.

I am a simple man. If I believe the BIBLE, I believe all the BIBLE.

I even believe one man, Noah built a huge boat the BIBLE calls an Ark. I have no idea how God had all those animals cross oceans and come from around the world to get to the ark, but I believe what the BIBLE says.

I have no idea how a man lived in a fish for three days, but the BIBLE said is happened, and I believe it.

I have no idea how a man, Jesus was killed and rose from the dead, hey He even went into the heart of the earth and preached for three days. I don't know how it happened, but the BIBLE said it so I believe it.

I don't even know how He radically changed my life in 1970, but He did.

If I did not believe in a real Adam and Eve, how could I believe in a real Jesus?

I don't even understand how such a question would come up on a board like Acts, but somehow it did.

Thank you BrotherJames for your great response to this question.

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the EVIDENCE of things NOT seen" Heb. 11:1.

Yes my friend it takes FAITH, not human understanding to believe what God has said. I suppose I lack understanding (I do not have a real degree) so I have to rely on FAITH.

We can debate OSAS, or EE or Sanctification, but how can we debate whether or not there was a real Adam and Eve.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
11/1/15 8:45 am

Post c6thplayer1
How many posters had to look up the meanings of " allegorical and heretical "?
Be honest.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/1/15 10:54 am

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Be honest.

Embarassed Embarassed
11/1/15 12:43 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
c6thplayer1 wrote:

I knowed what a hairy tick was, cause I picked one off ole blue just last week.
Acts-pert Poster
11/1/15 3:28 pm

Post Re: How can this be Ventureforth
JLarry wrote:
With that being said, how can anyone possibly believe the recorded Biblical account of the first man and woman, Adam and Eve to be anything other than REAL.

We can debate OSAS, or EE or Sanctification, but how can we debate whether or not there was a real Adam and Eve.

Perhaps one reason is the mistaken notion that science and a literal interpretation of the Bible are at odds. By the way, we know context determines whether or not a passage is parable or allegory. I don't parable or allegory in the creation story.
Acts-celerater
11/1/15 4:14 pm

Post mytimewillcome
If you take away every teaching of Jesus that is allegorical in nature, you wouldn't have much left.

The "Word" taught in allegory form so there seems to be some room for some to consider that other places in the Word could be as well.

It is not cut-and-dry to see everything in the Bible is literal. It just isn't true.

(P.S. I believe in the literal creation story)
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
11/1/15 8:15 pm

Post Ventureforth
mytimewillcome wrote:
If you take away every teaching of Jesus that is allegorical in nature, you wouldn't have much left.

The "Word" taught in allegory form so there seems to be some room for some to consider that other places in the Word could be as well.

It is not cut-and-dry to see everything in the Bible is literal. It just isn't true.

(P.S. I believe in the literal creation story)

The gospels tell us Jesus taught in parables and on several occasions specifically say that a story being told is a parable. It obviously is not the only form of teaching in the gospels. And we know the gospel narratives of Jesus' life are not parable or allegory.
I agree that the bible uses parables, allegories and figures of speech, etc. But in reference to the topic of this thread, I don't see enough indication that we should take the Genesis creation story as anything but literal.
Acts-celerater
11/1/15 8:34 pm

Post Cojak
Ventureforth wrote:

I agree that the bible uses parables, allegories and figures of speech, etc. But in reference to the topic of this thread, I don't see enough indication that we should take the Genesis creation story as anything but literal.

I do not either VF, but I would not disregard a brother or sister who saw it another way, Somethings are harder for some than others. I see nothing in that which would eliminate their salvation. Just my opinion. Wink
11/1/15 9:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic