Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Fan Duel - DraftKings - Nevada says its gambling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Fan Duel - DraftKings - Nevada says its gambling Nature Boy Florida
Nevada says its gambling which everyone should easily be able to see.

Have you told your friends.parishioners to stay away from it - or counseled them to have moderate usage?

Or does the Bible forbid gambling completely?
10/16/15 7:35 am

Post AnOnYmOuS4ArEaSoN
I have made one $100 deposit on each site and have yet to add anymore of my money. I play about every weekend with usually 4 lineups. I have made some money on each site. This is my first NFL season to play.

My first lineup ever to play cost me $20 to enter and I won over $700.

One account has a little over $2000 in winnings and the other has about $1500. I don't have the time to "manage" a season long team and worry about trading, sitting out a player who's injured, etc...so I like the daily league setup.

I can spend a couple of hours on Saturday to research the upcoming games and hopefully put together a winning team.

I don't make up any college lineups. Those 18 year olds can be like a pendulum.... Laughing

I may jump in and try my hand when basketball starts up.

Like anything, playing in moderation and not getting carried away is up to the individual.
Friendly Face
10/16/15 6:17 pm

Post Re: Fan Duel - DraftKings - Nevada says its gambling Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Nevada says its gambling

But Nevada says brothels are ok...
Acts-pert Poster
10/16/15 9:38 pm

Post Re: Fan Duel - DraftKings - Nevada says its gambling Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Nevada says its gambling

Well Brothels can be a gamble too, especially if you are a pastor. Shocked

GAmbling is a hard thing to prove, sin wise or nail down. Our church fathers in their wisdom basically said the stock market was a gamble and taught against investing in Cotton futures.

What some would call recreation, to others is gambling. I had one lesson in Poker on the first ship I was on, cost me a month's pay, best lesson I ever had.
Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/17/15 8:07 pm

Post diakoneo
Websters defines gambling as "playing games of chance for money." If you deposit money that you are not promised back in order for you to play a game, yeah, sounds like gambling. If you win, does that mean someone else loses? How do the owners of the sight make a profit? Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/18/15 7:47 am

Post Re: Fan Duel - DraftKings - Nevada says its gambling c6thplayer1
Cojak wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Nevada says its gambling

Well Brothels can be a gamble too, especially if you are a pastor. Shocked

Embarassed Embarassed

Thats Great....

We were on a cruise once and I put a quarter in a slot machine. I won $12 and walked away. I will always be $12 ahead because I'll never do it again , I know I'll lose it if I do. Laughing Laughing
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/18/15 2:32 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
If you deposit money that you are not promised back in order for you to play a game, yeah, sounds like gambling.

I think it's interesting that we say it's a sin to deposit money that you're not promised back, but actually could get back, but it's okay to spend money you definitely won't get back, for example, by buying a round of golf.

Paying money so I can participate in an activity is okay, unless there's a chance I might get some or all of the money back. THEN IT'S SIIIINNNNN

I wouldn't play Draft Kings or Fan Duel because they're designed to separate folks from their cash, but there is an element of skill in the games in addition to the element of chance, so if people are having fun and are being good stewards of their money, then more power to them. A round at the golf course is designed to separate folks from their cash as well, and moreso because there's zero chance of the customers getting any of it back. But if golfers are having fun and being good stewards of their money, then more power to them.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/18/15 3:48 pm

Post Da Sheik
I don't know if it's a sin or not, but the ads certainly are all over the place. I think they have supplanted Budweiser, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and car manufacturers in terms of commercials during the games. Acts Enthusiast
10/19/15 10:17 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I bet some a you fellers buy scratch off tickets too. Shocked

Hey, its just $1.00, or $5.00, or maybe $10.00. An I might win $1000.00. An I'm gonna pay tithes on it if I win. Why wouldn't God want me to be blessed like at? An hey, I got a better chance a winnin from a scratch off than I do gittin a 100-fold increase from the $10.00 I send to Kenny Copeland.
Acts-pert Poster
10/19/15 10:40 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Some people even spend money on junk food that kills them. It would be better to buy a scratch off ticket than a chili dog. Very Happy Acts-pert Poster
10/19/15 10:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Da Sheik wrote:
I don't know if it's a sin or not, but the ads certainly are all over the place. I think they have supplanted Budweiser, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and car manufacturers in terms of commercials during the games.

Agreed. Those ads haven't helped the growing number of things making pro football unwatchable.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/19/15 10:58 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
If you deposit money that you are not promised back in order for you to play a game, yeah, sounds like gambling.

I think it's interesting that we say it's a sin to deposit money that you're not promised back, but actually could get back, but it's okay to spend money you definitely won't get back, for example, by buying a round of golf.

Paying money so I can participate in an activity is okay, unless there's a chance I might get some or all of the money back. THEN IT'S SIIIINNNNN

I wouldn't play Draft Kings or Fan Duel because they're designed to separate folks from their cash, but there is an element of skill in the games in addition to the element of chance, so if people are having fun and are being good stewards of their money, then more power to them. A round at the golf course is designed to separate folks from their cash as well, and moreso because there's zero chance of the customers getting any of it back. But if golfers are having fun and being good stewards of their money, then more power to them.

The problem is that you might be playing against guys that are a lot more knowledgeable than you. In your case Dave...that would guarantee you would lose every time. Sorry man.
10/19/15 11:09 am

Post Dave Dorsey
The problem is that you might be playing against guys that are a lot more knowledgeable than you. In your case Dave...that would guarantee you would lose every time. Sorry man.

That's a fact. Same reason I don't play poker, although I do enjoy the strategic nature of the game.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/19/15 11:51 am

Post Da Sheik
The reason these fantasy sports services are able to spend all of the advertising dollars is because they are making a mint! The handful of guys who testify that they spent $30 and made $100k are either lying or are the epitome of "results not typical".

The guys who may actually be making big money are probably the ones who already have tons of money and they are using complex algorithms and computer generated programs to predict outcomes. In other words, the deck is stacked severely against the average Joe who comes to the site expecting to become rich.
Acts Enthusiast
10/19/15 3:29 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Agreed.

You can't do that much advertising and not be making a fortune.

I see this killing college kids finances. Get a new credit card - try to pay off tuition with their "knowledge" of football. End up maxing out the card.
10/19/15 5:30 pm

Post diakoneo
Tom Sterbens wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Websters defines gambling as "playing games of chance for money." If you deposit money that you are not promised back in order for you to play a game, yeah, sounds like gambling. If you win, does that mean someone else loses? How do the owners of the sight make a profit?

Much of what you wrote also describes investing in the stock market.

If I purchase a share of International Paper for $50 in the market, I have ownership in a company. I will receive a dividend not much but something every quarter and it is possible that the value will increase (yeah it could decrease too, but highly unlikely would ever be zero)

If I "deposit" $50 in fanduel which forbes describes as in gray area legally (http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemontgomery/2015/10/18/the-fanduel-draftkings-scandal-shows-the-risk-of-building-businesses-in-legal-gray-zones/) what do have?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/19/15 7:51 pm

Post AnOnYmOuS4ArEaSoN
Da Sheik wrote:
The reason these fantasy sports services are able to spend all of the advertising dollars is because they are making a mint! The handful of guys who testify that they spent $30 and made $100k are either lying or are the epitome of "results not typical".

The guys who may actually be making big money are probably the ones who already have tons of money and they are using complex algorithms and computer generated programs to predict outcomes. In other words, the deck is stacked severely against the average Joe who comes to the site expecting to become rich.

This is how you make money on these sites. Its simply playing the best matchup of positions against any given team. Its not about always playing the best QB or the best RB.

Prime example is last week the top QB on those sites was Matt Stafford with I think 35 points and the best defense last week was Miami of all teams. Its all about the statistical matches each week by positions and those numbers are always available to see.

I have deposited $100 on each site and have yet to lose that money. I have not always won or placed in the money but have NEVER lost that initial $100 deposit.

The way these sites are set up is that your lowest winning will usually be double of what the entry fee is for your lineup. If a contest cost $20 to enter a lineup and lets say there are 200,000 entries, then you will win money($40) even if you in 40,000th place.

So a person can easily deposit $35 and never make another deposit and will a lot of $$$$$$.
Friendly Face
10/20/15 3:08 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
If I "deposit" $50 in fanduel which forbes describes as in gray area legally (http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemontgomery/2015/10/18/the-fanduel-draftkings-scandal-shows-the-risk-of-building-businesses-in-legal-gray-zones/) what do have?

If you enjoy it, a couple hours of fun and a chance to make some or all of your money back or make money on top of it.

With a round of golf, you just get the couple hours of fun.

What's the better investment? Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/20/15 3:17 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

If you enjoy it, a couple hours of fun and a chance to make some or all of your money back or make money on top of it.

With a round of golf, you just get the couple hours of fun.

What's the better investment? Laughing

So is gambling ok?
Is golf ok?
Does it teach kids the wrong thing about making money?
10/20/15 3:26 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
So is gambling ok?
Is golf ok?
Does it teach kids the wrong thing about making money?

Having fun is OK. Being a bad steward of your money is not.

I'd argue that a game that's purely chance, such as a scratch-off or the lottery, is always bad stewardship of your money. The system is rigged against you and there's nothing you can do about that. You are virtually guaranteed to spend far more than you ever get back.

But, some people enjoy the fantasy of what could be, and it's fun to scratch off a few bucks' worth of tickets every week, even though they know in reality they are throwing that money away. How is that different than "throwing the money away" on a movie ticket, or a bag of chips, or a video game? Am I being a bad steward if I spend $5 on a video game I'll enjoy for a few hours? Or $15 on a movie I'll enjoy for less time than that? How can I call them bad stewards of their money, if they're just spending a few bucks to have a good time?

If someone is gambling with a lot of their money, and is pursuing some false fantasy that they're just one scratch-off away from finally getting it all back, that's a big problem. But if someone is depositing $20 a week into their FanDuel account and is having fun picking their rosters and watching the games to see how their picks did, I don't have any rocks to throw at them over it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/20/15 3:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic