Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Hell Houses" and Halloween Sermons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Hell Houses" and Halloween Sermons Da Sheik
Well friends, the season is upon us. Churches all over will be holding "hell houses" and/or preaching against the evils of Halloween. Most churches opt to do a "fall festival" in lieu of Halloween or in my area the "trunk or treat" concept is popular.

What do you do, and what are your thoughts on the subject? Question
Acts Enthusiast
10/15/15 11:07 am

Post Dave Dorsey
We've done "trunk or treat" and big harvest festivals in the past, but per your excellent post on church growth, we experienced little lasting success from them.

This year we are inviting folks to the church for a simple bonfire and hayride. If folks bring guests, that's OK, but the event is not an outreach, it's just an opportunity for simple fellowship and fun.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/15/15 11:12 am

Post John Jett
I usually pass out candy to the cute little kids dressed up as cats and such. Its fun. Twisted Evil

we used to do a big "fall festival" and it was a blast, wish we still did those.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/15/15 11:43 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
We do a fall festival. I've been thinking about having someone dress up like the grim reaper, dressing up myself in a black suit like a preacher from the old west, and walking through town preaching that death is coming for all, and are they ready to meet God? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/15/15 12:19 pm

Post ... wayne
we go to the Hell houses and do the trunk or treat and fall festivals. Acts Enthusiast
10/15/15 1:10 pm

Post We've "demonized" Halloween... Aaron Scott
I remember being a young child and being at revival with my evangelist father. I went Trick or Treating!

I loved it.

Nope, I didn't get demon-possessed. I didn't fall from faith. I didn't acquire a taste for blood and horror movies.

I just got some candy. I ate it. I liked it. I trick or treated until I was 15.

Yeah, I'm bad about that.

Halloween was nothing more than simple fun for most of us...until someone came along and declared that we were glorifying Satan or some other foolishness.

Nope. Not even close.

Can a person "accidentally" worship God?

No?

Then why act like a person can accidentally worship Satan or what have you?

If you don't want to do it, fine. I enjoyed it. I don't mind if my own son wants to be a part of it (no, I don't allow demon masks or what have you; I just go with Star Wars, etc.).

Quit allowing folks to make you feel guilty over what should be nothing less than good, clean fun.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/15/15 2:01 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
What about blood moons - would that be ok to dress your child like a blood moon?

I'm putting four jack o lanterns on the front porch and cutting a big circle in each to represent the four blood moons. I figure since the eclipses are basically orange - the pumpkins colors will be perfect.
10/15/15 2:10 pm

Post c6thplayer1
I think I'll dress like Robert Tilden this year and use an offering plate instead of a candy bag.

Cool
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/15/15 4:11 pm

Post Re: We've "demonized" Halloween... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
I went Trick or Treating!...Nope, I didn't get demon-possessed. I didn't fall from faith. I didn't acquire a taste for blood and horror movies.

But it shore messed up some a ya doctrine, Aaron...........Mr. Green
Acts-pert Poster
10/15/15 6:24 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
What about blood moons - would that be ok to dress your child like a blood moon?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
Acts-pert Poster
10/15/15 6:34 pm

Post halloween then and now muricewatsonsfriend
it did seem more harmless 40 years ago. halloween is 2nd in $ only to Christmas. nonetheless, its probably no big deal to celebrate / not celebrate it.
there are a number of pop-culture church events that churches are "expected" to do. among them are, 1. big back to school events with backpacks for the whole town, 2. fall festival / trunk or treat - again, to give candy to everyone in the whole town, 3. Christmas gifts for everyone in the whole town, and 4. gigantic easter egg hunts, to give candy to everyone in the whole town.
i am not opposed to big events. i've done them and continue to do so. however, i think we should attach purpose to them as they relate to the mission of our local church.
btw, there are more haunted houses in michigan than any other state, but we don't have hell houses... good idea maybe
- Darius
Acts-celerater
10/15/15 8:36 pm

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
I think I'll dress like Robert Tilden this year and use an offering plate instead of a candy bag.

Cool

Amen and Amen!!!! Great idea! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/15/15 11:02 pm

Post Re: We've "demonized" Halloween... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
I remember being a young child and being at revival with my evangelist father. I went Trick or Treating!

I loved it.

Nope, I didn't get demon-possessed. I didn't fall from faith. I didn't acquire a taste for blood and horror movies.

I just got some candy. I ate it. I liked it. I trick or treated until I was 15.

Yeah, I'm bad about that.

Halloween was nothing more than simple fun for most of us...until someone came along and declared that we were glorifying Satan or some other foolishness.

Nope. Not even close.

Can a person "accidentally" worship God?

No?

Then why act like a person can accidentally worship Satan or what have you?

If you don't want to do it, fine. I enjoyed it. I don't mind if my own son wants to be a part of it (no, I don't allow demon masks or what have you; I just go with Star Wars, etc.).

Quit allowing folks to make you feel guilty over what should be nothing less than good, clean fun.

Absolutely! Thumb Up
10/15/15 11:05 pm

Post Cojak
I must be under a rock, but I have never heard of the Hell house. Shocked
10/15/15 11:06 pm

Post We did 1 Hell House brotherjames
In vacant old walmart building Had over 5000 attend over 6 nights with more than 1000 conversions. Most thought they were coming to a typical secular haunted house. One woman complained to a big local radio station that her 5 yr old wS frightened. Duh. We said it was pg13. She got a lot of flack and we got the best publicity we ever had. Then we moved it outside on a 15 acre traCT of land we own and did Trip to Hell for about 9 yrs. Finally the fire marshall shut us down. Now we do a pumpkin. Festival at the church. We do it for 3 nights grt about 1500 little kids and their parents. We do super hero's and princesses with many games, prizes, candy, free pumkins, bounce houses, face painting, prayer booth and a Gospel story utilizing our super heroes and princesses. The Hell House brought us tons of teens and some families. The trip to Hell was mostly teens and youth groups from all over nc. The pumpkin festival is young kids and parents, grandparents from the neighborhood.

None of these things grow our church but ALL of them grow the KINGDOM. We are blessed to be a blessing and it does bring us some good will and some publicity. It costs us big money but we love souls whether we gain anything or not.
Acts-celerater
10/16/15 5:09 pm

Post Da Sheik
I would be interested to know what the long-term results of scaring the "hell" (aka "hell houses") out of people does. I'm not saying we shouldn't preach on it- of course Jesus talked about it. I'm just curious as to how many of these supposed converts actually become full-fledged disciples of Christ for the long haul. Acts Enthusiast
10/19/15 10:39 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Da Sheik wrote:
I'm just curious as to how many of these supposed converts actually become full-fledged disciples of Christ for the long haul.

I've wondered the same thing even bout mass crusades.

It wasn't fear that brought the ole timer to Jesus in a life of complete and full surrender, it was the unexplainable love of Christ that would not quit tuggin at ma soul.
Acts-pert Poster
10/19/15 10:55 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Da Sheik wrote:
I would be interested to know what the long-term results of scaring the "hell" (aka "hell houses") out of people does. I'm not saying we shouldn't preach on it- of course Jesus talked about it. I'm just curious as to how many of these supposed converts actually become full-fledged disciples of Christ for the long haul.

How does a Hell House explain who Jesus is and help someone to believe in Him. Hey there little girl.....if you don't "get saved," you're gonna burn forever just like this little girl did who had an abortion.
Acts-pert Poster
10/19/15 10:58 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:
I would be interested to know what the long-term results of scaring the "hell" (aka "hell houses") out of people does. I'm not saying we shouldn't preach on it- of course Jesus talked about it. I'm just curious as to how many of these supposed converts actually become full-fledged disciples of Christ for the long haul.

How does a Hell House explain who Jesus is and help someone to believe in Him. Hey there little girl.....if you don't "get saved," you're gonna burn forever just like this little girl did who had an abortion.

I missed the abortion part...who said anything about that?
10/19/15 11:05 am

Post John Jett
I think the Hell House is aimed more toward luke-warm/churched kids, and therefore fairly effective in what it does. I'd guess that (at least in the South), the majority of those who attend have some church background and have heard the gospel and know right from wrong. Its probably not very effective to those who have never really heard the gospel, but I don't think that is the real audience. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/19/15 11:27 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic