Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

One In Four Christians Will Encounter ADULT ONSET CALVINISM, AOC

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post One In Four Christians Will Encounter ADULT ONSET CALVINISM, AOC spartanfan
from http://theblazingcenter.com/2015/10/early-warning-signs-of-adult-onset-calvinism.html .....

Approximately 1 out of every 4 Christians will encounter adult onset Calvinism (commonly known as AOC) during their life, either personally or in someone close to them. It can be a scary thing to encounter, especially if you’re not familiar with the symptoms. The person you once knew and loved is suddenly a completely different person.

Don’t panic.

It gets better.

To help you navigate the treacherous waters of AOC, I’ve listed the possible symptoms you may encounter.

A sudden urge to correct everything and everyone all the time about every possible thing.
A growing conviction that every worship song you’ve ever sung is heretical and should be excised from the church catalog, including the Nicene Creed, Doxology, and most of the Psalms.
A strange and inexplicable ability to listen to 300 John Piper sermons in a single day.
A burning passion to convert everyone, especially your extremely godly parents WHO TAUGHT YOU THE BIBLE, to Calvinism.
A growing level of arrogance that is directly inverse to the number of blog posts you write about humility.
Constant cravings for cigars and microbrews, even though they make you incredibly sick.
Deep suspicion of anything that might cause the slightest bit of emotion in church, especially those awful worship songs noted above.
Deep-seated cynicism toward anyone who doesn’t take a hard stance on an issue, including but not limited to: free will, Calvinism, sports, coffee, the Trinity, capitalism, child schooling, and dating.
Being so smug you begin to panic that you won’t be able to adequately manifest all the smugness.
An unshakeable conviction that Tim Keller is too theologically soft.
The ability to bring every conversation full circle to Romans 9.
Frustration that guys like Piper and Sproul don’t draw more lines in the sand.
Inevitably arriving at the conclusion that John Calvin was not that strong of a Calvinist. At least, not as strong as you are.

Growing a beard, but not in a hipster way! This beard is WAY DIFFERENT from hipster beards, because it tapers to a point somewhere between the nipples, just like Calvin’s beard did.

If you or someone you know begins experiencing these symptoms, go to a pastor IMMEDIATELY. It won’t make the slightest bit of difference, because you were predestined to be a Calvinist, but still, you should probably see a pastor.

But don’t worry. After 5-6 years, these symptoms will subside and you or your loved one will return to being a mostly normal person.

Until then…sorry.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/10/15 3:22 pm

Post Link
That's funny. I saw that and was thinking of posting it. Btw, I think you should change the title.
10/10/15 7:51 pm

Post Cojak
Well evidently, What ever will be will be!

So it is what it is! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/10/15 9:02 pm

Post Da Sheik
Talk about hyperbole! LOL Could this article have been any more "over the top" in it's gross mischaracterization of Calvinism?

However, there is a segment of Calvinism that is quite militant. I had a couple come to my home one time because they were considering joining our church (I was already prepared for them to proselyte since they were making a home visit Twisted Evil Laughing )

It started out with "we really like the church". Then it quickly shifted to "we really want you to know that we strongly believe in Calvinism" (and preceded to defend the five points ad nauseum). They continued to attend the church for a while but their analysis and discontentment over the fact that we were not a five-point Calvinist church eventually led to the "lengthy letter of departure". I call it the Moby Dick of "here is every little thing we find wrong about you and the church" letter.
Acts Enthusiast
10/13/15 10:13 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I don't think so.

I have a cousin that is a lot worse than was described - and he was normal at one time.
10/13/15 11:50 am

Post I truly laughed out loud... Brandon Bohannon
Laughing
Proverbs 3:5-6; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8
Acts-celerater
10/13/15 12:26 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
I'm seeing more and more Christians showing an interest in Calvinism. This has caused me to feel compelled to really understand the doctrine in order to better refute it.
10/17/15 7:19 pm

Post Da Sheik
Resident Skeptic wrote:
I'm seeing more and more Christians showing an interest in Calvinism. This has caused me to feel compelled to really understand the doctrine in order to better refute it.

And in so doing, you may find you agree with more of it than you realize. I refuse to be boxed into any particular "''ism". The bible holds many truths in dynamic tension. The idea of choice/human responsibility and predestination are both tenets of scripture. The difficulty is when we try to narrowly define everything systematically.

I think Wesley, Arminius, and Calvin all have something to offer. But none of those systems have a monopoly on the truth.
Acts Enthusiast
10/19/15 10:28 am

Post deltaman
reformed theology today is a corrupted form of calvinism Member
10/19/15 1:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic