Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Preachers more obese than population & twice as likely to have depression
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Preachers more obese than population & twice as likely to have depression doyle
A study of clergy in the United Methodist Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church, said their ministers were more obese than the regular population. With obesity out of control in America, that is saying something.

In addition, ministers had higher rates of lifestyle-related health problems like diabetes and hypertension as well as asthma and arthritis.

They were also twice as likely to have signs of depression.

This is just information, with no finger-pointing intended. Me saying someone struggles with their weight, is like being called ugly by a frog.
My weight is down but only because I work out at Gold's Gym four days
a week.

By the time you hit 60, you're not at the gym to build a lot of muscle. You're there to try and keep from losing muscle. Working out is a major overall health benefit. You feel more fit and few things improve the brain like blood flow.

D

Last edited by doyle on 11/6/15 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
10/10/15 11:08 am

Post Re: Preachers more obese than population & twice as likely to have depression Nick Park
Tom Sterbens wrote:
doyle wrote:
A study of clergy in the United Methodist Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church, said their ministers were more obese than the regular population. With obesity out of control in America, that is saying something.

In addition, ministers had higher rates of lifestyle-related health problems like diabetes and hypertension as well as asthma and arthritis.

Wow....that's depressing...

Makes me want to go and eat a Hardees Mega Thickburger to cheer myself up ....

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
10/10/15 2:59 pm

Post Re: Preachers more obese than population & twice as likely to have depression roughridercog
Nick Park wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
doyle wrote:

Throw in a haggis and I will join you.
10/10/15 4:21 pm

Post Re: Preachers more obese than population & twice as likely to have depression roughridercog
Tom Sterbens wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Nick Park wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
doyle wrote:

Throw in a haggis and I will join you.

Isn't that a word that describes an ugly Irish woman?
I am a holiness preacher brother...I cannot entertain such things.

You might get lathered with a shillelagh.
10/10/15 7:44 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Humor is how obesity is dealt with. It's hardly ever taken seriously until that heart attack comes. Acts-pert Poster
10/10/15 8:51 pm

Post HighFive
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Humor is how obesity is dealt with. It's hardly ever taken seriously until that heart attack comes.

So right Eddie. It is not a laughing matter nor should it be
the butt end of a joke. Preacher's will be serious about deliverance
from drugs and alcohol but mention obesity and all kind of defensive
mechanisms show up. Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit
and we should ask the Holy Spirit to empower us to have discipline
in our lifestyles. Plus we owe it to our families and as examples to
those impacted by our ministry. Obesity is a plague in this country
and affecting our teens and young adults in a terrible manner. Go
to a shopping mall and watch the people. It is sad.
10/10/15 9:36 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It is evident when you go to Campmeeting or the Assembly. I just want to cry. Acts-pert Poster
10/11/15 10:49 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
The mental and emotional stresses of the ministry have a major impact upon stress hormones in the body. These have been shown to directly affect both one's appetite and one's metabolism towards weight gain. Not saying it's an excuse, but it definitely is a MAJOR factor that has to be considered whenever one feels the need to judge preachers for being fat. The equation is not nearly as simple as eating too much. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/11/15 11:34 am

Post HighFive
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
The mental and emotional stresses of the ministry have a major impact upon stress hormones in the body. These have been shown to directly affect both one's appetite and one's metabolism towards weight gain. Not saying it's an excuse, but it definitely is a MAJOR factor that has to be considered whenever one feels the need to judge preachers for being fat. The equation is not nearly as simple as eating too much.

I agree. Not trying to be judgemental. With my family history, if I consumed three full meals daily, only the Lord knows how large I would be. Add to that the fact that my maternal grandmother died with a stroke at 38 and my mom at 68. When my mom died in 1988, I was 48 with cholesterol & triglyceride levels off the roof. I joined in covenant with the Lord that as partners together, I could extend my life. Since then, the only thing I have eaten fried are French fries.but have never gone hungry. It is about lifestyle and moderation. Had I not made that change, I do not believe I would be here today at 75. Again, if we believe the Holy Spirit can help people with every other kind of addiction, why can't He help us with obesity? AND this IS NOT a matter to joke about. Our quality of life, our future, our family and our influence as believers depend upon it.
10/11/15 2:06 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It's not how much they eat, it's WHAT they eat and sometimes when they eat. Healthy eating should be a major part of holiness, yet, it is ignored while preaching against the evils of all the other stuff. The people see it. Acts-pert Poster
10/11/15 2:07 pm

Post Yes HighFive
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It's not how much they eat, it's WHAT they eat and sometimes when they eat. Healthy eating should be a major part of holiness, yet, it is ignored while preaching against the evils of all the other stuff. The people see it.

The people may be silent but they do see it. And sadly, it can serve to justify their behavior.
10/11/15 2:40 pm

Post Ventureforth
HighFive wrote:
Again, if we believe the Holy Spirit can help people with every other kind of addiction, why can't He help us with obesity? AND this IS NOT a matter to joke about. Our quality of life, our future, our family and our influence as believers depend upon it.

That's a good word! I also believe the Holy Spirit will help us. Folks don't always think they need to follow His guidance in this area. Our body is His temple. A thought occurred to me that that there are times when we could feel the Holy Spirit so much more if our physical bodies weren't interfering because of the way we are taking care of them. Just a thought.

Quote:
It's not how much they eat, it's WHAT they eat and sometimes when they eat. Healthy eating should be a major part of holiness, yet, it is ignored while preaching against the evils of all the other stuff. The people see it.

Yes, that's generally what I've found. I may not have lost a lot of weight. But I'm not obese and I don't gain a lot. Not only does some healthy food taste good, there is also the good feeling that I am not feeding myself junk.
Acts-celerater
10/11/15 5:44 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
The Holy Spirit helps you by saying to you...your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit...treat it that way. Jesus says to us "love your neighbor." He doesn't help us to love our neighbor. It's a command. We have the choice to hear Him and do it or not do it but it is up to us. If the Holy Spirit is helping folks to be healthy, He's not doing a very good job. Acts-pert Poster
10/11/15 5:56 pm

Post Ventureforth
Eddie Robbins wrote:
The Holy Spirit helps you by saying to you...your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit...treat it that way. Jesus says to us "love your neighbor." He doesn't help us to love our neighbor. It's a command. We have the choice to hear Him and do it or not do it but it is up to us. If the Holy Spirit is helping folks to be healthy, He's not doing a very good job.

The Holy Spirit helps those who let Him help- who surrender to His lordship. And yes, that is a decision. It's not like He slaps the food out of our hands. But He might tell us we should or shouldn't be eating a certain foods, and I believe He will actually give us the strength and wisdom to eat right if we ask for and receive it. Many humble people aren't surrendered in certain areas. I guess that can be said about all of us to a certain degree.
By the way, the Holy Spirit will help us love our neighbor, if we receive His help. In a way, He is loving others through us. (I believe that has happened to me many times.)
But all this is a process some people don't want to go through.
Acts-celerater
10/11/15 6:37 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
In making being fat out to be a sin, we both judge them and go beyond Scripture in saying something is a sin that Scripture nowhere states is a sin. It would probably be better if we all were in great shape physically, but to make physical fitness an indicator of holiness is, again, to go beyond what Scripture says. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/11/15 10:29 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/stresscortisol.html [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/15 1:41 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
In making being fat out to be a sin, we both judge them and go beyond Scripture in saying something is a sin that Scripture nowhere states is a sin. It would probably be better if we all were in great shape physically, but to make physical fitness an indicator of holiness is, again, to go beyond what Scripture says.

I have never called it a sin. My question is, who should take care of their bodies, which IS the temple of the Holy Spirit, any more than Holiness people? For too long unhealthy and unfit preachers have preached against things like smoking, makeup, movies, jewelry, pants on women, etc., etc., while being unhealthy from what they put in their bodies. It's not a matter of sin, it's a matter of hypocrisy.

Now, most are away from preaching against those things, thankfully. But the fact remains, we OUGHT to be healthy. I do NOT understand anyone who would make excuses and disagree. It grieves my heart to watch ministers abuse their bodies and live an unhealthy life that usually cuts their life short. We have seen our very own posters die way too you no because they didn't eat a healthy diet. Why waste your life away like that? And argue against me for bringing it up. Say that I call it sin? I challenge you to not find where Inever said that, I just want you healthy.
Acts-pert Poster
10/12/15 6:48 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Eddie,

I am not trying to argue against you per se. I am simply and only pointing out the fact that the Bible nowhere condemns anyone for being fat. I must say I am very surprised, based on your posts, that you would say being fat is not a sin.

I have certainly seen plenty of Christians die before their time due to complications directly related to their weight. In most all those cases that I know of, a lot of it had to do with ignorance on their part, not willful sin. I suppose there could be an exception or two out there, but no one I've ever known has said they wanted to be fat.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/15 7:36 am

Post Eddie Robbins
And I have never condemned anyone for being fat. You are putting words in my mouth. I want you and everyone else to be healthy and fit. I am tired of seeing people sick and watching them die too young because of what they eat. It can be avoided. Acts-pert Poster
10/12/15 7:43 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I am not putting words in your mouth, I am only going by my impression of what you say about this issue being a major aspect of holiness. Holiness, as I'm sure you know, is the opposite of sinfulness.

If you say it's not a sin to be fat, I do find that surprising, based on what seems to me to be the overall tone of your posts on this subject.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/15 7:54 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic