Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The rule against off-topic posts/hijacks is going to start being strictly enforced

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The rule against off-topic posts/hijacks is going to start being strictly enforced Dave Dorsey
The Acts-celerate Terms of Use state:

Quote:
Off topic posting or thread hi-jacking will not be tolerated. Hi-jacking a thread is posting an off-topic post in a thread. This means if the thread is about water baptism, you shouldn't reply with a post about the Sermon on the Mount.

As a very recent example of what off-topic posting/thread hi-jacking is, please see this thread: http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=83730

(Please note that neither Mat nor any other poster complained about these off-topic posts. Posters never do -- they just stop posting on the forum, because they struggle to find outlets for serious discussion.)

Posts that are deemed off-topic or hi-jacking in nature will be deleted without warning. Repeat offenders will be banned.

We all like to have a good time, and Acts provides the opportunity for posters to create funny, humorous, or serious threads on whatever topic they please. However, Acts does not afford posters the opportunity to drag serious threads posted by others off-topic with humor or off-topic content. This type of behavior squelches those who are looking for a serious exchange of ideas, and hurts the forum by driving those folks elsewhere.

Beginning today, we will begin strictly enforcing this rule in order to provide a better avenue for those looking for serious discussion.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 10/6/15 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 7:20 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Trippy, in the thread you hightlighted, the OP mentioned WOF. I responded directly to WOF error. Hey, I couldn't help it ole John Jett posted at pic of a full grown serpent seed. Cool Acts-pert Poster
10/6/15 1:58 pm

Post diakoneo
Hey DD, does that include hijacking parody threads Very Happy Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/6/15 2:08 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Trippy, in the thread you hightlighted, the OP mentioned WOF. I responded directly to WOF error. Hey, I couldn't help it ole John Jett posted at pic of a full grown serpent seed. Cool

I appreciate your disagreement with my assessment, but that thread does in fact serve as an example of the type of content that will be removed going forward.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 2:35 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
Hey DD, does that include hijacking parody threads Very Happy

Kind of tough to draw a line there. Smile But in the case of a parody thread, where none of the content is serious and posters are just having fun, I imagine more latitude will be appropriate.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 3:03 pm

Post John Jett
I've removed the serpent seedling, should I have used something more like this to make the bad-theology point totally relevant to the discussion?

Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/6/15 3:28 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
John Jett wrote:
I've removed the serpent seedling, should I have used something more like this to make the bad-theology point totally relevant to the discussion?

Laughing

Here's what I'd recommend as a general approach: Reply seriously to serious threads. Reply however to silly threads.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 3:39 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Tom Sterbens wrote:
I have limited discernment in those areas...
Is this a serious thread?

It is, but I am willing to sacrifice it so it can serve as an outlet for people who want to be goofy. That's just the kind of guy I am.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 6:06 pm

Post You know, Mark Ledbetter
I guess I won't go there.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
10/6/15 6:50 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I'm tellin you fellers, ole Dave is a right busy feller to be "On Sabbatical." Cool Acts-pert Poster
10/6/15 7:17 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I'm glad to hear this too. I've been wondering lately if we would ever have any meaningful conversation on here again.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/6/15 9:15 pm

Post DrDuck
I find this to be an attack primarily aimed at OTCP and it seems to me to be asinine and childish.

Just offering an observation.
Acts-celerater
10/7/15 9:18 am

Post Big brother approach Methocostal
I haven't read the offending post, however, this general attitude lends an air of big brother watching our every move. I'm ADD and have a very difficult time staying on topic - within my own posts. However, even for normal people, isn't being "off topic" in the eye of the beholder?

In my opinion, responding to posts are a form of artistic expression as literature is considered a form of art. Often, I have an off-beat approach to a lot of topics, thereby, am I always guilty of hijacking? IMO, hijacking would be interjection of some type of advertisement or something along those lines -- not by adding humor, or offbeat commentary on a serious thread.

The result of this censorship will be posts that may be "intellectual", but boring. If one wants pure intellectual discussion, then read your professional journals. Can't the humorless posters simply skip past the posts that interject humor to read the serious responses.

Seriously, I do think this heavy handed approach results in squelching response because we (or at least I) never know when the big brothers watching over me will consider my post to be hijacking. IMO, hijacking is in the eye of the beholder.

Is this REALLY where we want to go? We have enough political correctness in our everyday world. Why can we not have a forum where we have the freedom to be ourselves without the threat the censorship and banning.

GOOD GRIEF
Friendly Face
10/9/15 9:07 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Methocostal,

The points you make are very fair. As a result, please understand that the rule will be enforced with an extremely light hand.

The enforcement of the rule is aimed at gratuitous hijacking of threads -- threads in which a poster submits something that is very off-topic and/or endeavors to turn a thread toward his or her pet topic. Humor, offbeat commentary, or anything else that is reasonably relevant to the thread at hand is not a violation of this rule. Taking a thread that someone posted about topic Y and trying to redirect it toward topic X is.

Thanks for your thoughtful remarks. If you have any other questions we would be glad to answer them, and if you have any other points we would be glad to consider them.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/9/15 10:02 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic