Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Criticizing the Congregation from the Pulpit

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Criticizing the Congregation from the Pulpit Link
I'm talking about stuff like, "Half of you look like you've been baptized in lemon juice."

I was listening to an online Indonesian sermon of an old friend whose become a preacher, and I see a lot of this. Don't praise like God like, .... acts uninterested. Do it like this-- screams and acts excited. Half way through the sermon, say something about the congregation looking sad and tell them to say something goofy to one another to get them to smile.

When my wife went to Bible college (Bethel, COG in Indonesia, same denomination as my friend), they told people who did worship leading not to criticize the congregation.

For me personally, if people looked a little bored or lost while I'm speaking, hopefully I realize I need to change my tone of voice or something like that. I got a lot more of those looks back when I was struggling to speak in Indonesian than now in English.
10/5/15 6:12 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
EL Terry used to say "uuuuhhhhhh you're a dead bunch!" He was saying it in humor and was an evangelist. Acts-pert Poster
10/5/15 8:40 pm

Post Cojak
It is not good and gets old if said often. It can be good, if used with love to stir folk.
But it is really like the old joke when the preacher told the usher to wake some folk up, the Retort was you put them to sleep, you wake'em up. (I figured that was a Baptist church). Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/5/15 9:01 pm

Post as a pastor wayne
I always advise anyone getting on stage to be positive regarding the congregation. My current P&W leader(he posts on ACTS some) use to criticize the crowd for not responding to the music. I very lovingly told him not to do that. I have instructed preachers if your sermon gets heavy/hard that's fine but give them hope bring the sermon up at the end - don't let them leave only feeling beat up or without hope.

I have learned faithful members come to church after a long days work, dealing with a sick loved one, feeling sick themselves, tired, etc. but they still come to church. Should they be beat up because 50 other people are not there? --No. They should be encouraged/inspired/refreshed/empowered.

I learned a long time ago as a youth pastor - there are times when the people are simply not going to respond and that's okay. I might try to bring them out of it with a joke or something but usually, I just finish the sermon and move on. I love the people in our church and I understand sometimes they come to church to fulfill an obligation and I am thankful they do that.
Acts Enthusiast
10/6/15 8:34 am

Post Re: as a pastor Nature Boy Florida
wayne wrote:
I have learned faithful members come to church after a long days work, dealing with a sick loved one, feeling sick themselves, tired, etc. but they still come to church. Should they be beat up because 50 other people are not there? --No. They should be encouraged/inspired/refreshed/empowered.

AMEN!
10/6/15 9:15 am

Post Re: as a pastor Clint Wills
wayne wrote:
I always advise anyone getting on stage to be positive regarding the congregation. My current P&W leader(he posts on ACTS some) use to criticize the crowd for not responding to the music. I very lovingly told him not to do that. I have instructed preachers if your sermon gets heavy/hard that's fine but give them hope bring the sermon up at the end - don't let them leave only feeling beat up or without hope.

I learned a long time ago as a youth pastor - there are times when the people are simply not going to respond and that's okay. I might try to bring them out of it with a joke or something but usually, I just finish the sermon and move on. I love the people in our church and I understand sometimes they come to church to fulfill an obligation and I am thankful they do that.

Good stuff Wayne! The difference between a manager and a leader is that the manager directs people while the leader inspires them. We should be inspiring people!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/6/15 9:27 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Eddie Robbins wrote:
EL Terry used to say "uuuuhhhhhh you're a dead bunch!" He was saying it in humor and was an evangelist.

Ole EL use to call em "dry hides." He'd say, "you bunch a dry hides."
Acts-pert Poster
10/6/15 10:14 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
EL Terry used to say "uuuuhhhhhh you're a dead bunch!" He was saying it in humor and was an evangelist.

Ole EL use to call em "dry hides." He'd say, "you bunch a dry hides."

I had a pastor that called everyone old hides.

My grandmother called him on it one day - in private - but he said she was touching God's anointed, etc...

She didn't think much of an anointing that called people old hides.

He turned her in on charges (she was a minister).

The overseer came - heard the charges - and simply asked - "Why do you call people old hides?" He didn't have an answer.

Charges were dropped - but my grandmother had to leave her church for a season due to hurt feelings.

That said - why would anyone call anyone else (that they didn't hate) old hides?
10/6/15 11:31 am

Post JLarry
I loved to hear EL preach but never invited him to preach at the church I pastored. He would say; "you bunch of dummies". I know he really did not believe they were dummies, but I did no want him calling my people dummies jokingly or otherwise. The pulpit is not the place for this.

I wish I would have learned at an earlier age to be more positive.

My wife once said to me. Listen to Dr. Walker, he is never negative.

My pastor is never negative and never talks down to anyone preaching or otherwise.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
10/6/15 11:41 am

Post Link
I once heard a Methodist, I think, say at some churches, they say people get more excited about a football game than they do about church, trying to get the people excited. He asked, "Who said church is supposed to be like a football game?"

I got a joke for you. There was a Methodist who always went to football games with his buddies and screamed really loud. One time, he went with his buddies and they asked him why he was so quiet. He said, "I started going to a Pentecostal church, and now I feel guilty if I get too excited at a football game."

I don't know why some preachers think the audience has to have a certain expression on their face when they are speaking. Is it unholy not to smile? I've got little kids. If they are in the room with me (for example, when we are singing), I'm trying to sing and praise the Lord while keeping one eye on a three-year-old, and another on the other kids. I have no idea what my face looks like during this time.

Usually, if a whole audience of people look bored when someone else is talking, I don't know if we can blame the audience. To me, that seems like a cue to do something different. For example, don't be monotone, or get on to another point.
10/6/15 1:03 pm

Post Link
The worst I ever recall hearing, aside from an Independent Baptist video on YouTube, was the song leader telling people they look like they'd been baptized in lemon juice. I don't remember ever hearing a preacher actually call people names. Calling the congregation 'dummies' is really over the line. I hope he wasn't preaching on that passage about calling your brother "Thou fool.' The audience reacts to what's presented to it.

I'm fine with an audience that doesn't hoop and holler and say 'amen.' I don't expect that to the Asian crowds I've spoken to. I went to a conference once at a big Charismatic church in Indonesia and there was an African man preaching and yelling and screaming. He was talking about how bad Paul was before his conversion and kept saying "Amen." As exuberant as this church was with their singing for an Indonesian church, Indonesians just don't tend to be the type to yell 'amen' or 'preach it brother.' It seemed to me that he was used to a loud African church, and seemed to be sweating bullets at the lack of response.

I would like to see people who appear to be paying attention. Nodding heads is great. Laughs or smiles at jokes and certain ironic comments are nice. But if I get boring, it's me whose boring and I need to change it up. They are just listening.

Increasing volume and energy can still be boring if there isn't much content behind the enthusiasm. I think it was someone here who posted a story about a preacher practicing in the woods who left a paper behind. Someone came up and looked at the paper and at one point it said something like, 'weak point, pound pulpit and kick leg."
10/6/15 1:24 pm

Post Re: as a pastor Cojak
wayne wrote:

VERY GOOD, sounds like something my beloved daddy has said. Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/6/15 8:04 pm

Post Link
I find the practice of being told to tell everyone next to you something positive and maybe a bit silly or embarrassing a bit annoying if overused, like tell someone sitting next to you, "You look good this morning" or "Jesus loves you." My friend was doing stuff like that, mid-sermon. But that beats the preacher telling people how bad they look.
10/6/15 10:39 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Ole James Poe Jackson was one a the worst I ever heard bout callin folk names an makin negative comments while preachin. Son, at ole feller could tear it up when he got in a big way.

www.holiness-preaching.com/audio/MP3/Jackson,%20James%20Poe/Romans%20chp%2012%20v11.mp3
Acts-pert Poster
10/6/15 10:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic