Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Burnout....

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Burnout.... Aaron Scott
How many pastors have went through burnout?

I also wonder if there is a marked difference between burnout in pastors that are full-time vs. bi-vocational?

I can totally see a full-time pastor flaming out because he/she gets so immersed in the work. In fact, I think that a full-timer may be MORE prone to burnout since there are often no real parameters, which can mean he/she works themselves endlessly.

How do you COMBAT burnout? RECOVER from burnout?

Just wondering.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/1/15 8:54 am

Post I wish I knew wayne
Aaron,
I am bi-vocational and at times I don't know if I am coming or going. At times and even now, I think I need to go full-time pastor but I have my fears of making this leap. I have a great job that pays me a great salary and to give that up, really challenges my faith.(being honest)
I can see the need to be full-time but I can also see the benefit of being bi-vocational. Being full-time pastor - allows you to focus on tasks and future planning, being bi-vocational allows you to get away from the grind of pastoring.....

Would love to hear from the experts on this.
Acts Enthusiast
10/1/15 9:46 am

Post Cojak
Speaking from the outside but raised on the inside of a parsonage, for the full timer it is a matter of priorities. My dad had NO outside activities such as fishing or golf. But he never forgot his family, even thought at times it seemed like it.
I noticed when my dad was 'perplexed' he paid attention to the physical church building. If we had a 'custodian' he would join in the clean up and talk. He found time to take a 'short vacation'. Never expensive usually camping.
I really think my dad was experiencing 'burnout' when he retired. A short or even expended sabbatical would have put him back as pastor and ready to go again. Instead, he took on organizing a new church. OUCH

I took note of the successful pastors, dad's peers. They usually had an outside activity that helped them, back in that day it was mostly fishing. Golf was sort of a sin but fishing was Biblical.

Smile Cool

EVERY PASTOR NEEDS A HOBBY or SPORT a short diversion. It is just as important if you plan to retire, the same thing is required or you will experience 'RETIREE BURNOUT' Embarassed Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/1/15 9:50 am

Post Da Sheik
I think it all depends on the individual. I know some full-time ministers (aren't we all "full time" if we're being realistic?) that are not good at stepping back and setting boundaries. Then there are others. These are the ones who practically do nothing but play golf and fish when they're not preaching on Sunday mornings.

We have a great leadership training program for our deacons and elders (it was established before me so I can't take credit!). So I am confident that those teachers/leaders/deacons/elders are on board with me theologically, ethically, and we are moving in the same direction. As your church grows, it is imperative to train and equip others to lead alongside of you!

Most of the guys I know who are truly burned out, are bivocational pastors of smaller churches. They do not have enough capable or willing volunteers to help them bear the burden and they typically don't have enough money to hire a staff person (it's true, you usually do get what you pay for!).
Acts Enthusiast
10/1/15 11:06 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic