Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Jaded

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Jaded Cojak
I have heard the word, and assumed the meaning but never had the occasion to check its definition:
jad·ed
: made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by surfeit

Then I had to look up sur·feit
: disgust caused by excess

The words miracle and prophecy in our beliefs do tend to make the thinking person 'jaded'.
I am expressing a personal feelings here: The Pope just visited the USA. He caused quite a stir in a couple small acts of humility to the poor and sick.

qualifier: this is an old cliche, I have some VERY good friends who are Catholic, I really do. I also believe they are Christian.

I read a glowing editorial about the Pope being a 'direct descendant' of Peter (I think they were saying that spiritually not blood line). That the power of the office has increased over 2000+ years. That being said, and taken on face value, when the Pope stopped the Popemobile, got out and walked to the sidelines and kissed a child on the head, a child with a deformity or disease that he will carry for life, it was said the mother was so impressed at the blessing he bestowed on the child she was crying and over joyed.
My jaded mind says to me, If he has more power than Peter, and he is the direct rep or God, the child would have been completely healed. (i.e. Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I thee, in the name of Jesus............)

Before anyone thinks I am only jaded about the Pope, I have known just about the same claims by preachers, even COG. I was 12 years old when I witnessed a miracle. I have not seen one since. I have heard claims, friends of mine declared prophecies that did not happen, miracles that did not happen, declared healing that did not happen.

In the mid 40's I saw a broken arm (compound fracture) healed instantly. Prayed for by a preacher with a formal education of the 3rd grade.. I never heard him mention it again, he went on about his business like it was normal.

I love the Lord with all my heart, I believe the Word and support the cause of Christ. But down inside I wonder when a prophecy is made by someone and it does not happen, nothing is said, no one is called to account.
Am I that wrong?

Confused Embarassed

Last edited by Cojak on 9/27/15 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/27/15 5:19 pm

Post error double something,,,,, Cojak
mistake
9/27/15 5:28 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Yes, miracles still happen. Just because some have failed or spoken out of emotion and not Spirit does not invalidate what God does do. I can tell you of three in my life re: my birth, healing of my feet as a baby, and healing my husband received several years ago. More financial miracles than I could name beyond that.

We do not see as many miracles here in America as there have been in previous days. Perhaps because we rely on the medical profession so much now? And perhaps because people do not believe God can? I don't know, but miracles do not seem as prevalent today.

I will share details of the above with you later...
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/27/15 6:25 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Yes, miracles still happen. Just because some have failed or spoken out of emotion and not Spirit does not invalidate what God does do. I can tell you of three in my life re: my birth, healing of my feet as a baby, and healing my husband received several years ago. More financial miracles than I could name beyond that.

We do not see as many miracles here in America as there have been in previous days. Perhaps because we rely on the medical profession so much now? And perhaps because people do not believe God can? I don't know, but miracles do not seem as prevalent today.

I will share details of the above with you later...

I understand Carolyn, and know miracles are not IMPOSSIBLE, I posted strictly a personal view and standpoint. As a kid, there were 'healing evangelists' I remember two cases where people left their wheel chairs, I know the wheel chairs were bent and broken up to prove it, but in two weeks I saw the same two back in new wheel chairs. (They lost faith, I was told)
A big Evangelist in Shelby, NC in the 40's preached you should never be sick, An emergency stopped the revival midpoint. 'The Evangelist got the measles.'
This I saw as a kid. As an adult I have known worse. When these things are witnessed by the unbeliever it is no wonder at time 'WE Pentecostals are our worst enemies.' Oh I believe in miracles for sure. I am not daft either, I do know what a miracle is. What some call a miracle is no more than God's creation taking care of itself.

Do I want to be deaf? not on you life. I have fasted and prayed. I have strained in prayer lines. Removed my aids and got ready for the miracle. TWO preachers have said you will hear in # days. ( strained for faith) Nada.

If this cochlear implant works, it will be a miracle to me, but a miracle of science along with the prayers of my friends.

In the area of Implants, sinners and infidels get the implant and it works well.

I still believe in prayer and my prayers continue to go up that this will work for me. But I ask myself, why didn't it work whent he evangelists said so.

I'm sorry to sound like a stick in the mud, today I am just calling them like I feel them.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
9/27/15 10:07 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I have learned that if we look to men, we will always be disappointed. We are human, sometimes full of flesh instead of spirit, and we often fail. But when we look to Jesus, He will never fail us. He may not always do things the way we expect, but He will do them in the way we need them.

My older son has hearing loss and very nearly lost his faith when that happened, feeling rather abandoned by God. It pretty much took him out of youth ministry because you really can't work with youth if you can't hear or if loud noises hurt your ears.

God gave me a word re: my husband's healing years ago that I stood on for years. I did not doubt what He said, but I doubted ME...my ability to hear or interpret what God meant. As I saw him failing, losing him by inches when he was on dialysis, it was hard to understand. But I never let go of that word of encouragement (or the ones that followed). I fully expected God to completely heal his kidneys, but instead He gave my husband a new beginning through the miracle of organ donation. It truly is a miracle. I decided at some point along the journey that God could do this however He wanted to...it really didn't matter in the end.

On another note...
When my husband & I were in full time ministry, we were hurt several times by ministers that did not treat us well. I became very jaded towards ministers in general and as we traveled around & visited lots of churches, I developed a very cynical, "Show me you're a man of God" attitude. When we finally came off the road, God sent us to a wonderful local church with a pastor that truly cared for his sheep and was "real." Watching him as a pastor helped me believe in pastors again...that there were some good ones out there, and it also helped heal the hurt we'd experienced. It's easy to become jaded if we aren't careful.
9/27/15 11:39 pm

Post One of my miracles JLarry
Cojak I was born with my eyes crossed.

At 12 I went to a T.L. Lowery tent meeting. Bro. Lowery prayed for me and my eyes were instantly straighten.

My pastor's son had the same thing happen in the same meeting.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
9/28/15 5:36 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I'm sorry to sound like a stick in the mud, today I am just calling them like I feel them.

Cojak, I don't think you need to apologize for candor and honesty. I think the body of Christ could stand a little more honesty.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/28/15 7:28 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Surely we have all been in the prayer lines where we went expecting God to move, and all we got was a headache or neck ache from somebody trying to push us down. Sorry...I don't do courtesy drops! It is confusing and disappointing.

God never said we wouldn't be sick. Paul left a fellow worker in the Lord sick in Miletus. We are human, and unless we are really, really healthy or have a lot more faith than I do, we are going to suffer illness at times. Then we pray for healing because the Word says He is our healer and that by His stripes we are healed.

I believe we should be as positive as possible, but we also have to be real. It's OK to say you're sick (although I think it's counterproductive to go around saying "I think I'm coming down with something.") Don't invite sickness but don't lie about it, either. Why would you need to say He's your healer if you're not sick? What does the Word say?

When the Children of Israel found out their generation had been sentenced to 40 years in the wilderness because of their unbelief, they suddenly found their missing faith. (Numbers 14) They decided to go try to take the land anyway, and Moses told them not to go, that the Lord was not with them. I heard a message about this once, that they were guilty of the sin of presumption. They presumed to know God's will when they were acting out of their flesh. (They got whupped, by the way.) I think this is what happens sometimes when people speak supposed words of faith/prophecy. It might look spiritual or sound spiritual, but if God's not in it, it ain't gonna happen.

Another awful fallout of this is that we make sick people feel guilty for being sick or having a physical impairment/problem. The sick person is blamed...if you just had enough faith...if you just believed...there must be sin in your life or God would move. Shame on us!

Bonnie is right. You don't need to apologize. God knows your heart and your desire. He's heard your prayers even if they haven't been answered as you expected. It's not your fault. And God hasn't forgotten you. I pray the implant is the miracle you've been waiting for. If it allows you to hear, it will be no less a miracle than a supernatural, instantaneous one.
9/28/15 11:24 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic