Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

New Blog (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post New Blog (L) Bucky Sitsler
My newest blog: Is Pentecostalism Impractical or Have We Missed Something?

http://thoughtsofamessypastor.weebly.com/blog/is-pentecostalism-impractical-or-have-we-lost-something
Hey, DOC
9/29/15 2:58 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
My 2c:

I think you really meant to criticize emotionalism, not Pentecostalism as such. In my experience, the kind of emotionalism you are criticizing is far more the exception than the rule.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/29/15 4:49 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
So you don't like a lot of emotionalism with your church - because it doesn't help people.

But if you criticize Brownsville on Acts - you get a bunch of folks saying that emotionalism helped them "break through" to God.

What's a man to do?

Find what works for you - let the other guys work it out their own way. If it isn't a SIN - there has to be some latitude in how folks worship.

Now - ministers stirring it up and never teaching folks - shame on the minister. He is shirking his responsibility.

But people deal with their emotions differently.

The danger is when preachers and laity call out folks for not being as emotional as they are - and attaching the significance to the "emotion" and not the result of changed lives or lives accomplishing the great commission.
9/29/15 5:47 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

But if you criticize Brownsville on Acts - you get a bunch of folks saying that emotionalism helped them "break through" to God.

I don't recall anybody on Acts who had a positive opinion of Brownsville ever saying it was 'emotionalism' that 'helped them "break through" to God.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/29/15 6:21 pm

Post Bucky Sitsler
I disagree.

My criticism is aimed at the manipulation of emotions and the lack of depth in the Pentecostal experience. Thus, my criticism is aimed at American Pentecostalism.

And, in my experience, it is not the exception but, more the norm.

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My 2c:

I think you really meant to criticize emotionalism, not Pentecostalism as such. In my experience, the kind of emotionalism you are criticizing is far more the exception than the rule.
Hey, DOC
9/29/15 6:23 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Bucky Sitsler wrote:
I disagree.

My criticism is aimed at the manipulation of emotions and the lack of depth in the Pentecostal experience. Thus, my criticism is aimed at American Pentecostalism.

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My 2c:

Okay. All I can say is my experience differs quite a lot from yours. Emotional manipulation, etc., is simply not definitive of Pentecostalism. I think you are throwing out the proverbial baby with the bath water by aiming your guns at Pentecostalism instead of emotionalism.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 9/29/15 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/29/15 6:25 pm

Post Bucky Sitsler
My blog is really aimed at the lack of depth in experience that most American Pentecostals possess.

Emotions are important. God created them. And I think that Holy Spirit does indeed work through our emotions.

I understand that everyone who reads my blog is going to have a different interpretation of what I am saying. But, the crux of my statement is that the American Pentecostal church has a very superficial understanding of the true purpose of the baptism in the Holy Spirit and other charismatic worship manifestations.

Nature Boy Florida wrote:
So you don't like a lot of emotionalism with your church - because it doesn't help people.

What's a man to do?

Find what works for you - let the other guys work it out their own way. If it isn't a SIN - there has to be some latitude in how folks worship.

Now - ministers stirring it up and never teaching folks - shame on the minister. He is shirking his responsibility.

But people deal with their emotions differently.

The danger is when preachers and laity call out folks for not being as emotional as they are - and attaching the significance to the "emotion" and not the result of changed lives or lives accomplishing the great commission.
Hey, DOC
9/29/15 6:27 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I agree that there is more emphasis on outward emotion and the gifts of the Spirit than the Fruit of the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 13:1 proves the importance of the Fruit being greater than the Gifts, IMO. Acts-pert Poster
9/29/15 6:28 pm

Post Bucky Sitsler
I'm not throwing out any babies or bath water. You are certainly welcome to interpret my statements in any way you see fit. I understand that comes with the territory.

You are missing the essence of my statement.

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Bucky Sitsler wrote:
I disagree.

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My 2c:

Okay. All I can say is my experience differs quite a lot from yours. Emotional manipulation, etc., is simply not definitive of Pentecostalism. I think you are throwing out the proverbial baby with the bath water by aiming your guns at Pentecostalism instead of emotionalism.
Hey, DOC
9/29/15 6:31 pm

Post Bucky Sitsler
Agreed.

Eddie Robbins wrote:
I agree that there is more emphasis on outward emotion and the gifts of the Spirit than the Fruit of the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 13:1 proves the importance of the Fruit being greater than the Gifts, IMO.
Hey, DOC
9/29/15 6:33 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I read your blog. If I have misunderstood the essence of your statement, please clarify it for me. Thank you. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/29/15 6:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic