Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do we not use clerical collars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Why do we not use clerical collars? Nick Park
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
mytimewillcome wrote:

Why do we not use clerical collars? If you do, tell us when, where, why.

If not, why?

Thanks!

Dude! I was so going to get one after attending my first Earl Paulk conference back in the 80's. But it was all a bit weird.

You know, if a clerical collar is associated with celibacy, Earl Paulk sure cleared that up. Smile

Yeah - I wonder what it does mean then - if Paulk is the arbiter of collars?

In my part of the world, the most common association the general public would make with a clerical collar would be that of child molestation.

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
9/21/15 9:05 am

Post Da Sheik
Nick Park wrote:
For me, the clerical collar clearly reinforces the unbiblical distinction between clergy and laity.

The priesthood of all believers is a fundamental Gospel truth, and essential to the operation of a healthy church. Having a uniform, or special dress, for one section of believers undermines that truth.

So do you call everyone who attends your church "Pastor"? Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
9/21/15 10:30 am

Post Re: Why do we not use clerical collars? Mat
Nick Park wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
mytimewillcome wrote:

Why do we not use clerical collars? If you do, tell us when, where, why.

If not, why?

Thanks!

Dude! I was so going to get one after attending my first Earl Paulk conference back in the 80's. But it was all a bit weird.

You know, if a clerical collar is associated with celibacy, Earl Paulk sure cleared that up. Smile

Yeah - I wonder what it does mean then - if Paulk is the arbiter of collars?

In my part of the world, the most common association the general public would make with a clerical collar would be that of child molestation.

Working with gangs or law enforcement at night in the inner-city, the clerical collar marks you as neither, but there for both. You're right, in your part of the world the influence of the Catholic church and been detrimental to the cause of Christ and the role of ministry in society.

Ireland is a prefect example of the evils of the Roman Church and I am one America that is against the Pope of Rome (that foreigner) coming to America, speaking to our Congress whom we pay with our tax dollar, telling us how evil we Americans are and how we should give our country away. Ireland has been in spiritual, social, governmental and cultural bondage to the Roman Church, but Ireland is not where I live and minister.

That said, there is sometimes a place and time for uniforms. What is the difference between wearing an oversize cross to let everybody know just how "big" a Christian you are and wearing a collar for weddings and when you're called down to the emergency room at the hospital late at night?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/21/15 10:43 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have never had any problem at all being allowed to visit someone in the hospital. I just ask for the patient's room by name, and say I am their pastor. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/21/15 10:54 am

Post Da Sheik
For me personally, the clerical collar has become so synonymous with Roman Catholicism that I couldn't embrace the idea. But I have no problem with those who choose to wear it from the Protestant tradition. I was just ribbing Nick Park earlier....I see no real need to make some big show about the fact that you are a "man of the cloth". Having said that, I have had people request for me to wear a robe at their weddings and I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. Acts Enthusiast
9/21/15 11:16 am

Post Re: Why do we not use clerical collars? Cojak
[quote="Nick Park"][quote="Nature Boy Florida"][quote="Tom Sterbens"]
mytimewillcome wrote:

Uh oh! (Probably a little of that in the USA also) Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/21/15 2:39 pm

Post Mat
Da Sheik wrote:
For me personally, the clerical collar has become so synonymous with Roman Catholicism that I couldn't embrace the idea. But I have no problem with those who choose to wear it from the Protestant tradition. I was just ribbing Nick Park earlier....I see no real need to make some big show about the fact that you are a "man of the cloth". Having said that, I have had people request for me to wear a robe at their weddings and I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever.

De Sheik,

In this discussion of religious "garb" its interesting that you use a picture that I think can be identified as a Sikh, even though you use the screen name "De Sheik" which is a title from Islamic countries for a family/tribal leader. Unless you are going for other usages (character in animation or pro wrestler or condom brand), the head dress and the beard are more associated with Sikhs. After 9/11 some hatters in Phoenix, AZ, wanted to kill Muslims, so they went to a gas station and saw a guy they thought was an Arab and shoot him. He was a Sikh.

You know what they say, clothes make the man.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/21/15 2:57 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
After 9/11 some hatters in Phoenix, AZ, wanted to kill Muslims

Were they mad hatters?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/21/15 3:11 pm

Post Yes Mat
Yes and like me they could not spell.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/21/15 4:03 pm

Post Re: Yes Cojak
Mat wrote:
Yes and like me they could not spell.

Mat

Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/21/15 5:09 pm

Post mytimewillcome
Nick Park wrote:
For me, the clerical collar clearly reinforces the unbiblical distinction between clergy and laity.

The priesthood of all believers is a fundamental Gospel truth, and essential to the operation of a healthy church. Having a uniform, or special dress, for one section of believers undermines that truth.

Do you have situations where there are 'too many' ministers for prayer and pastoral visits to the sick, elderly, etc.?

I understand priesthood of all believers but why not distinguish yourself to the world around you that you are a source of hope/help?

If the collar represents child molestation, as you said in an earlier post, do we then get rid of churches as well? Do we remove all doctors since some commit malpractice?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/21/15 6:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic