Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

God reconciled the world to Himself 2,000 years ago...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post God reconciled the world to Himself 2,000 years ago... bradfreeman
God fixed you before you were broken.

God reconciled "all things to Himself" at the cross.
Yes, it was "the Father's good pleasure" to freely give us "peace".

"For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven." Col. 1:19,20

God "made peace" with you 2,000 years ago "through the blood of the cross".
You receive this reconciliation, this peace, by believing this Good News,

Christ "is our peace" with God.
He reconciled us to God "through the cross".
He abolished the "Law of commandments" that accused us and called us unholy and unclean.

"For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity." Eph. 2:14-16

The enmity is dead.
Believe this Good News and you will live in this peace with God!

God "reconciled us to Himself through Christ".
He counted all sin and made Christ to be sin for us. 2 Cor. 5:21.
Now, He isn't "counting trespasses against them".

"Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation." 2 Cor. 5:18,19

This is our message...our "word of reconciliation".
It's Good News you can believe.

The cross took away the sin of the world.
The cross reconciled the world to God.
This Good New is the power of God to save!

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation." Rom. 5:10

How do you access this grace?
How do you receive this reconciliation?
By believing this Good News!

God has cleansed everyone.
God has declared everyone the Law would call unclean, holy.

"A voice came to him, “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” 14 But Peter said, “By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean.” Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.” Acts 10:15

"And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean." Acts 10:28

Believe this Good News in your heart and confess it with your mouth and you will be saved!

Call upon His name (His name is Jesus because He will save His people from their sins - Mat. 1:21) and you will be saved.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
9/15/15 6:07 am

Post Did you purposefully or accidentally Mark Ledbetter
leave out repentance?

Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing the kindness of God leads you to repentance? - Romans 2:4

I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of Go, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. - 2 Corinthians 7:9-10.

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9

And if you suppose repentance is a simple change of the mind without brokenness before His awesome love, coupled with the change of mind and confession and faith, you have short-changed many in their spiritual journey.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
9/15/15 8:08 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Yes God reconciled the whole human race to himself 2000 years ago, and purchased the rights of ownership of every single human being as well.

Sadly, when presented with the certificate of title that shows God owns the temple of their body, the majority of human beings reject his claim of ownership and therefore do not become living stones that comprise God's temple. Thus they remain enemies of God and rebels and die lost, in spite of the cross. If any man have not the Spirit of Christ (the mark of ownership), they do not belong to Christ.
9/15/15 9:53 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Son, ole Brad deserves Actscelerate's "Error of the Year" award, cause he constantly sets forth grace to the 100th nonbiblical power. Acts-pert Poster
9/15/15 10:59 am

Post Re: Did you purposefully or accidentally bradfreeman
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
leave out repentance?

Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing the kindness of God leads you to repentance? - Romans 2:4

I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of Go, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. - 2 Corinthians 7:9-10.

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9

And if you suppose repentance is a simple change of the mind without brokenness before His awesome love, coupled with the change of mind and confession and faith, you have short-changed many in their spiritual journey.

Did Jesus purposefully or accidentally leave out repentance?

John 3:15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

John 5:24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

Did Paul purposefully or accidentally leave out repentance?

Rom. 3:28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Rom. 4:4 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,

Rom. 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Rom. 10:13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

They didn't leave out repentance - a change in thinking...they gave people something to believe apart from of their own dead works, their own resolve, their own willpower and determination!

Repentance is a change of thinking from reliance/confidence/faith in your works as a basis of righteousness to reliance/confidence/faith in Christ's works as the basis for righteousness.

It is translated from the Greek word metanoia, "meta" meaning "change" and "noia" meaning "knowledge".

Heb. 6:1 expresses the shifting focus from dead works toward faith in God well.

Heb. 6:6 Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

Acts-dicted
9/15/15 2:40 pm

Post Brad, thanks for your response. Mark Ledbetter
Consider Paul's words before King Agrippa:

Quote:
So, King Agrippa, I did not prove disobedient to the heavenly vision, but kept declaring both to those of Damascus first, and also at Jerusalem and then throughout all the region of Judea, and even to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds appropriate to repentance." - Acts 26:19-20

It would seem repentance is a major theme in Paul's presentation to both Jew and Gentile.

And it is true, metanoeo (literally, to perceive afterwards) can mean a change of perception or a change in mind. Yet as Paul's words before Agrippa suggest, repentance includes not only turning to God but also a turning away (for Jews turning away from self-righteousness, for Gentiles turning away from paganism).

Then Paul adds, "performing deeds appropriate to repentance," or practicing works worthy of, or appropriate to the change of mind.

Paul's language is reminiscent of John the Baptist's words, "Therefore bear fruits in keeping with repentance." (Luke 3:8).

Repentance described simply as a "change of mind" does not fit the context of the New Testament thoughts regarding repentance.

Indeed, it requires faith, but it also requires an act of the will. The heart is indeed transformed, but the will to act accordingly requires a deliberate decision on the part of the one repenting.

Just as in your presentations regarding the Law of Moses lack balance, so does your position on "changing one's mind." It isn't simply acquiesce, it includes a deliberate change in attitudes and actions.

As for Jesus' regard for repentance:

Quote:
"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:32).

As for Paul's position on repentance I could revisit the passages on repentance listed in my previous post but let them stand as is and you, or anyone else can easily reference them. And then there's the passage cited above.
Spirit-Led
9/15/15 5:12 pm

Post Brad said... Resident Skeptic
Quote:

Repentance is a change of thinking from reliance/confidence/faith in your works as a basis of righteousness to reliance/confidence/faith in Christ's works as the basis for righteousness.

So the person who has accepted the good news that Christ has reconciled him to God will "change his thinking". He will no longer think of himself as righteous when the law has declared all guilty. His "mouth will be stopped and he will become guilty before God" (Romans 3:19). He will change his thinking about how one can go to Heaven realizing that only by surrendering to the Lordship of Christ and be regenerated by his Spirit will he be saved.

Martin Luther said....

Quote:
"Satan, the god of all dissension, stirs up daily new sects. And last of all, which I should never have foreseen or once suspected, he has raised up a sect such as teach that the Ten Commandments ought to be taken out of the church, and that men should not be terrified by the Law, but gently exhorted by preaching the grace of Christ."

Quote:
“I was alive without the Law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived’ (Romans 7:9) “So it is with the work-righteous and proud unbelievers. Because they do not know the Law of God, which is directed against them, it is impossible for them to know their sin. Therefore also, they are not amenable to instruction. If they would know the Law, they would also know their sin; and sin to which they are now dead would become alive in them.”

Quote:
"The first duty of the Gospel preacher is to declare God's Law and show the nature of sin."

"...we would not see nor realize it (what a distressing and horrible fall in which we lie), if it were not for the Law, and we would have to remain forever lost, if we were not again helped out of it through Christ. Therefore the Law and the Gospel are given to the end that we may learn to know both how guilty we are and to what we should again return."

Quote:

"This now is the Christian teaching and preaching, which God be praised, we know and possess, and it is not necessary at present to develop it further, but only to offer the admonition that it be maintained in Christendom with all diligence. For Satan has attacked it hard and strong from the beginning until the present, and gladly would he completely extinguish it and tread it underfoot.

9/15/15 5:41 pm

Post Re: Brad, thanks for your response. bradfreeman
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
Consider Paul's words before King Agrippa:

Quote:
So, King Agrippa, I did not prove disobedient to the heavenly vision, but kept declaring both to those of Damascus first, and also at Jerusalem and then throughout all the region of Judea, and even to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds appropriate to repentance." - Acts 26:19-20

It would seem repentance is a major theme in Paul's presentation to both Jew and Gentile.

And it is true, metanoeo (literally, to perceive afterwards) can mean a change of perception or a change in mind. Yet as Paul's words before Agrippa suggest, repentance includes not only turning to God but also a turning away (for Jews turning away from self-righteousness, for Gentiles turning away from paganism).

Then Paul adds, "performing deeds appropriate to repentance," or practicing works worthy of, or appropriate to the change of mind.

Paul's language is reminiscent of John the Baptist's words, "Therefore bear fruits in keeping with repentance." (Luke 3:8).

Repentance described simply as a "change of mind" does not fit the context of the New Testament thoughts regarding repentance.

Indeed, it requires faith, but it also requires an act of the will. The heart is indeed transformed, but the will to act accordingly requires a deliberate decision on the part of the one repenting.

Just as in your presentations regarding the Law of Moses lack balance, so does your position on "changing one's mind." It isn't simply acquiesce, it includes a deliberate change in attitudes and actions.

As for Jesus' regard for repentance:

Quote:
"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:32).

As for Paul's position on repentance I could revisit the passages on repentance listed in my previous post but let them stand as is and you, or anyone else can easily reference them. And then there's the passage cited above.

Luke 7:41 “A moneylender had two debtors: one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 When they were unable to repay, he graciously forgave them both. So which of them will love him more?” 43 Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.” And He said to him, “You have judged correctly.”

Which comes first, forgiveness or love?
1. Forgiveness was "graciously" given.
2. No confession. No sorrow. They didn't ask for the debt to be forgiven.
3. The moneylender's kindness change their minds- evoked love.

Luke 7:47 For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little.” 48 Then He said to her, “Your sins have been forgiven.” 49 Those who were reclining at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this man who even forgives sins?” 50 And He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

A couple of things to note about this woman:
1. The deeds that showed she had been forgiven was that "she loved much". No confession of sin. No expression of sorrow. She didn't even ask for forgiveness. Just love as an expression of her saving faith - "deeds" you refer to.
2. The kindness of God changed her mind about God and helped her to see that He is someone she could believe in.

Mark 2:4 Being unable to get to Him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above Him; and when they had dug an opening, they let down the pallet on which the paralytic was lying. 5 And Jesus seeing their faith said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

A couple of things to note here:
No confession. No sorrowful "repentance". He didn't even ask for forgiveness. Just faith expressed in their acknowledgment through something Jesus "saw" that Jesus was the source of the help they needed - the "deeds" you refer to.

John 8:10 Straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more.”

A couple of things to note here:
1. No confession. No sorrowful "repentance". She didn't come to Jesus for help, ask for forgiveness or promise not to do it anymore.
2. He freely offered her no condemnation first - He changed her mind.
3. He gave her the word of her righteousness to empower a change in behavior - not conditioned on a change in behavior.

Luke 23:34 But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves.

Note:
1. None of them were sorry or confessed or promised not to do anything any more.
2. Forgiveness was freely and unconditionally offered. I don't think Jesus was exhibiting bad theology here. I think He was expressing the generous heart of His Father, who was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting men's trespasses against them (2 Cor. 5:18-21; Rom. 5:8-10). He cleansed the world. He became our righteousness, redemption and sanctification. He took away the sin of the world and declared every man "holy" and "clean" regardless of what the Law would call him/her. We "obey" that good news by believing the message that had, even in Paul's time,"gone out into all the earth".

Rom. 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
18 But I say, have they not heard? Yes indeed:
“Their sound has gone out to all the earth,
And their words to the ends of the world.”

Acts-dicted
9/16/15 5:50 am

Post Thanks again, Mark Ledbetter
but you simply present a counter-argument however it fails to discredit the arguments put forth, also from Scripture, that repentance is part of the message, and repentance is demonstrated by personal action.

Balance is the issue.

Otherwise, the Scriptures contradict themselves and give credence to the Word's detractors.

Brokenness, a contrite spirit, is part of the saving, reconciliation process.
Spirit-Led
9/16/15 7:36 am

Post Re: Thanks again, bradfreeman
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
but you simply present a counter-argument however it fails to discredit the arguments put forth, also from Scripture, that repentance is part of the message, and repentance is demonstrated by personal action.

Balance is the issue.

Otherwise, the Scriptures contradict themselves and give credence to the Word's detractors.

Brokenness, a contrite spirit, is part of the saving, reconciliation process.

Thanks Mark,

If repentance is the "change of mind" from faith in oneself (works) to faith in Christ, then there is no contradiction between a message that we are "justified by faith" and a call to repentance (a move to faith).

I'm certainly not saying that faith does nothing. What faith does is move God inside and He produces the fruit of His presence in us (love), showing that we are alive. What we do apart from Him, or prior to Him forgiving, accepting and birthing us in spirit, is nothing.

Acts-dicted
9/16/15 10:13 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic