Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Christ made no false claims to "education" or position

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Christ made no false claims to "education" or position c6thplayer1
What's The Cause?

What could possess a normally rational man who is born again, called to preach Jesus Christ, and otherwise scripturally sound to parade around with a phony doctorate, pretending to be "educated"? What power could cause him to boast of an attainment he has not attained and allow others to boast for him? The same universal vices that caused Lucifer to fall, pride and envy. The Bible bluntly says this "pride of life" is not of God, "...and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (1 Jn. 2:16), and envy is clearly ungodly. But this doesn't affect them. They apparently justify their indulgence in their mind with self serving reasoning.

One of their reasonings is the institution which granted them the "doctorate" must have felt them "qualified" or it would not have given it, but this argument is forced. First, the only way to qualify for an earned doctorate is to finish the requirements! Second, the "doctorate" is honorary by its very name. It is called a "doctorate" because it is given by an educational institution which confers true doctorates, their highest earned degree. If honorary doctorates make a person a true doctor, then an auctioneer who is given a certificate calling him "colonel" must also be a true colonel; a commissioned officer in the US military!

Another argument is, even though the person doesn't have the required academic education for a doctorate they earned one through "life experience," but this is still invalid and self indulgent. The person may have a wealth of "life experience" that equips him for certain aspects of Christ's ministry much better than most Ph.D's, but thatstill ignores the fact he hasn't completed the required education for a true doctorate. Would you want to have surgery performed on you or a loved one by a true medical doctor who graduated from a university or by someone who has "life experience" only and no degree?

Probably the most desperate argument is "A doctors degree will further my ministry and open doors" implying it will help Christ's ministry. But Christ's ministry when He was on earth was not tainted by pretense, half-truths, and deception. Christ made no false claims to "education" or position but said humbling things like, "For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted" (Luke 14:11), and "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matt 18:4). Sayings that tear at the very root of the modern unearned doctorate craze. When pressured some will admit their degree is honorary (but that doesn't stop them from using it), others, however, seem to actually believe they hold the advanced degree and resent anyone who questions it.

What we are addressing here is academic attainment and not necessarily spirituality, ability or consecration. Some preachers with Ph.D's are so dry and lifeless in their manner and deficient in common sense and sound doctrine that they are little help to anyone. On the other hand a preacher with an eighth grade education can have more insight into the Scriptures, a better understanding of God's will, and a superior manner of preaching and presentation than some men with two earned doctorates. Some of the best preaching I have ever heard came from men with less than a high school education. Education is no substitute for a humble heart, diligent study, or godly zeal.

http://www.preservedwords.com/doctor.htm
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/7/15 4:41 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Oh contrare.

Jesus was called the "Great Physician". That sounds like a doctor to me.

And whoever conferred that degree on Him - I tend to agree.

I have no trouble calling him Dr. Jesus.

Degree mills = phony.

However, Honorary Doctorates from a bonafide institution - recognizing demonstrable mastery of a subject or field - I have no problem calling that person "Doctor".

Steve Jobs - anyone want to say he wasn't a Doctor of Technology.
Bill Gates - a Doctor of Business.

C'mon - what's the problem?

Sounds like some Doctors - that got a degree - and then never accomplished anything - having sour grapes to me.

Let it go.
9/7/15 4:52 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Every single word of C6's original post is the truth.

NBF, thank you for your opinion, but it can't and won't be let go by those who value ethical praxis. The sour grapes analogy could well be true for some people, but the issues set forth in C6's post are not dependent on a few disgruntled doctoral degree recipients. The honorary doctorate issue is one thing; even more disconcerting is the minister of Christ who purchases one of the "life experience" doctorates.
Acts-pert Poster
9/7/15 6:41 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Quote:
Jesus was called the "Great Physician". That sounds like a doctor to me.

Beyond a doubt. He was and is the "Great Physician". A title that he didnt need nor flaunt.

Quote:
However, Honorary Doctorates from a bonafide institution - recognizing demonstrable mastery of a subject or field - I have no problem calling that person "Doctor".

I do. Its nothing more than a insult to those that have spent countless hours working and tested in their field to make sure that they meet the requirements of that field.

Quote:

Again I will. While both are/were masters of their profession , neither completed the required work and testing that qualifies them for the certificate that everyone else has to earn.

Quote:
Sounds like some Doctors - that got a degree - and then never accomplished anything - having sour grapes to me.

I have met people like that. Everyone doesn't end up on top. Some can see that others cant.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/7/15 8:29 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quote:

Again I will. While both are/were masters of their profession , neither completed the required work and testing that qualifies them for the certificate that everyone else has to earn.

They are to be commended, honored and respected for what did, but as my brother C6 has said, they did not earn a docterate.
Acts-pert Poster
9/8/15 2:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic