Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Cussing, Crude Language, the progressive change

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cussing, Crude Language, the progressive change Cojak
A year of so ago there was a discussion on this Forum about language of Christians in and out of the pulpit.
All us old folk can remember queer went from a common word to a nasty slang.
Later a good word GAY then became a nicer word to replace it, but meant the same.

I stated then that within 20 years the nasty f-word would be cleaned up and used in the pulpit as it was by the infamous Jim Jones in his sermons.

I grew up with a game called 'Bean Bag Toss', you might be familiar with it. I was surprised to read in our church bulletin today a request, "Anyone having a Cornhole game to loan for our game day contact......cxsfs".

All the bars around here have the game outside. They have weekly Corn Hole competitions.

I know you know the game, I also know you know how the word was used if you are old enough, in days gone by.

It was a word that would have made 'Gosh' or 'Shucks' punishment pale, if my parents heard it. It would have been like me using the 'F-word'.

I know it is said in passing by most folk now without a thought, but I still hear it as that 'nasty' word. I know it ain't, but tough teaching in my youth cannot forget it.

I am not hung up on language, but reading that brought back the thread of 'Christian cussing'. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/6/15 2:47 pm

Post bonnie knox
Cojak, I've never heard the word except in the context of the game. Maybe it's my sheltered upbringing or maybe it's just my age. Wink [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/6/15 4:19 pm

Post c6thplayer1
bonnie knox wrote:
Cojak, I've never heard the word except in the context of the game. Maybe it's my sheltered upbringing or maybe it's just my age. Wink

Your a lot younger Bonnie. this was used in the 60's a lot as terms of endearment with the homosexuals.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/6/15 5:25 pm

Post JLarry
I know the word. Haven't heard it in years.

I well remember no Christian would use the words screwed. Now I hear it in pulpits. I still hate to hear Christians using the term. Also hate to hear the words, "brown noser".

Mother would not let us say "butt". We had to say "fanny". I had a church member that was called "Fanny Butts". Her name was Marie, I always called her Marie.

For the record I despise the F word. If I am watching TV and the word is used I turn the channel. No one cares but me, but I care enough.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
9/6/15 5:38 pm

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Cojak, I've never heard the word except in the context of the game. Maybe it's my sheltered upbringing or maybe it's just my age. Wink

Yeah you were sheltered, all my life it was a term for sodomy. I never thought of it before, but I just asked my wife and she said she knew the term and knew the undercurrent for the name. Girls used the term also.

I understand folks who don't know using it, but I see boys use it with an obvious slant as they are playing. One of the games was here at the house. Most of the bags were filled with beans and it was called bean bag toss. The term Bean hole could just as well been used. Cool

Last edited by Cojak on 9/6/15 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/6/15 7:10 pm

Post John Jett
Cojak wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Yeah you were sheltered, all my life it was a term for sodomy.

Cool

"yuk, ya'll were weird"

that's what I'd get if I told my kids that LOL
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/6/15 7:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic