Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does Wine in the Bible contain alcohol or not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post bradfreeman
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
We never say that being obese hurts your testimony.

Oh contrare - there is a joker here on Acts that brings it up at the drop of a hat - and brings several hats daily.

What effect does oiling up, prancing around in tights with bleached-blonde hair and shouting "wooooo!" do for one's testimony?

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
8/6/15 9:42 am

Post Re: Me too.... spartanfan
Dave Dorsey wrote:
spartanfan wrote:
A friend of mine, Dr. Joe Esposito from Atlanta says this: "Alcohol...
kills brain cells. Once a brain cell dies, it never grows back. It dehydrates your body damaging other cells, even causing wrinkles. It can cause Liver and Pancreas malfunction. It puts an extra burden on your detoxification organs, preventing them from doing their regular jobs and wearing them out."

I don't drink alcohol -- at all. I find it uncomfortably dehydrating, and while I don't think it's a sin, I do think it is, at least for me, a poor witness.

With that said, unfortunately, your doctor friend is rather clueless. This is an article from a casual site, but it is well cited with links to authoritative sources. http://mentalfloss.com/article/49024/does-drinking-alcohol-kill-brain-cells

"For moderate drinkers, a number of studies from the last 15 years suggest that, far from killing brain cells, a little tipple is actually associated with a reduced risk of cognitive decline and dementia."

I can cut and paste articles from medical websites that says it can... we get to choose which ones to cut and paste don't we? Therefore, I take the approach that it is the poorer choice to drink alcoholic beverages. Your article means nothing. But we all know that there would be a lot less grief in America if we had zero alcoholic beverages and whatever good can be found in any at all can be found in other available sources besides those coupled with alcohol. This is the point: "Alcohol abuse can lead to major health problems—and can affect your ability to learn and function well. The best way to protect yourself from these problems is to never start drinking at all. It's a foolproof approach that works every time." (from: http://sciencenetlinks.com/student-teacher-sheets/alcohol-and-your-brain/ )
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/6/15 9:52 am

Post Re: Me too.... Dave Dorsey
spartanfan wrote:
I can cut and paste articles from medical websites that says it can... we get to choose which ones to cut and paste don't we?

No. Some are credible and some are not.

Please note that you have cited references about alcohol abuse -- not moderate consumption. If you are trying to make the case that significant abuse of alcohol is neurodegenerative, there is evidence to support that claim.

In the original post which I replied to, you suggested that alcohol kills brain cells, period, and joked with Eddie that he had lost a number of brain cells as a result of his very moderate consumption of wine. There is no evidence that moderate consumption of alcohol has any negative impact on brain cells, and there is some evidence that it may even be neuroprotective.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/6/15 10:18 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Also, replying to well-cited information with "Your article means nothing" speaks very poorly of you. Just an FYI. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/6/15 10:22 am

Post Sorry spartanfan
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Also, replying to well-cited information with "Your article means nothing" speaks very poorly of you. Just an FYI.

I apologize. I was too curt and cut and dry and insensitive to how it would be taken. That just ain't right and I accept your correction and apologize sincerely.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/6/15 10:36 am

Post Plus... spartanfan
Also, I do know that Eddie's loss of brain cells could be attributed to a number of reasons. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/6/15 10:38 am

Post Eddie Robbins
The loss of hair has nothing to do with brain cells. Acts-pert Poster
8/6/15 11:25 am

Post krista
Eddie Robbins wrote:
As opposed to a full glass of red wine. Do you have to drink a full glass? Laughing

It's funny because I'm sure it's always half full. Nonsense! Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/6/15 2:36 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
krista wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
As opposed to a full glass of red wine. Do you have to drink a full glass? Laughing

It's not always half full because it gets consumed. I talk to lots of people who drink a half glass of red wine for health purposes. Unlike what some would like to think, it's not always consumed for the purpose of a buzz. It is taken much like a medicine.
Acts-pert Poster
8/6/15 2:41 pm

Post krista
Eddie Robbins wrote:
krista wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

It's not always half full because it gets consumed. I talk to lots of people who drink a half glass of red wine for health purposes. Unlike what some would like to think, it's not always consumed for the purpose of a buzz. It is taken much like a medicine.

But I guarantee you that a lot of these guys on here who drink, do not start out half full.

Also, if 3 glasses of wine makes one drunk, then one glass make you 1/3 drunk. It's enough to impair motor skills.

Also, and this happens all the time. When getting drunk comes up on Acts, someone always brings up over-eating. We're not talking about over eating. Oh! I think that is you that does that. Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/6/15 9:30 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I bring it up because I love y'all and don't want to see you die early or be sick. We have lost posters who died overweight. I lost my Dad at age 53 because he was overweight. This is a REAL problem among our people, not drinking. This is so sad. It doesn't have to happen and I will never stop talking about it. It is my passion. If you get tired of seeing me write about it, don't read my posts. Acts-pert Poster
8/6/15 9:43 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
What one Coke does for you...

http://www.eatthis.com/dangers-and-side-effects-of-drinking-coke?src=twitter
Acts-pert Poster
8/7/15 2:45 pm

Post krista
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I bring it up because I love y'all and don't want to see you die early or be sick. We have lost posters who died overweight. I lost my Dad at age 53 because he was overweight. This is a REAL problem among our people, not drinking. This is so sad. It doesn't have to happen and I will never stop talking about it. It is my passion. If you get tired of seeing me write about it, don't read my posts.

As bad as obesity is, I've never seen one family get run over by an obese person, high on donuts.
I've never seen one time a family torn apart because of over-eating.
I don't mean for this to be funny. But this is the difference and it's what we're talking about.
I have said this before, but there is something we are missing in the Scriptures, or in their culture, but there is no way Jesus would endorse drinking today. We've missed something.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/7/15 4:23 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What one Coke does for you...

http://www.eatthis.com/dangers-and-side-effects-of-drinking-coke?src=twitter

Coke is awful for you, but this infographic has several inaccuracies. https://cei.org/blog/what-happens-hour-after-drinking-locally-sourced-sustainable-organic-kale-juice

Between this and the government conspiracy against holistic medicine providers... you might want to look for some more credible sources of information. Wink
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/7/15 6:09 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
krista wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I bring it up because I love y'all and don't want to see you die early or be sick. We have lost posters who died overweight. I lost my Dad at age 53 because he was overweight. This is a REAL problem among our people, not drinking. This is so sad. It doesn't have to happen and I will never stop talking about it. It is my passion. If you get tired of seeing me write about it, don't read my posts.

As bad as obesity is, I've never seen one family get run over by an obese person, high on donuts.
I've never seen one time a family torn apart because of over-eating.
I don't mean for this to be funny. But this is the difference and it's what we're talking about.
I have said this before, but there is something we are missing in the Scriptures, or in their culture, but there is no way Jesus would endorse drinking today. We've missed something.

Well, that's a good excuse to be obese. Find something that is worse. At least it didn't hurt anybody. Well, losing my Dad when I was 16 was pretty hurtful.
Acts-pert Poster
8/7/15 6:26 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Anyone who says obesity doesn't destroy other lives has probably never lived with, loved, and taken care of someone who can barely walk or breathe. That will be the fate of a near majority of Americans who are young and middle aged adults today.

There are alcoholics in the world, but tens if not hundreds of millions of people regularly drink in moderation without consequence.

There is not one person who is obese and not facing health consequences and earlier death as a result.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/7/15 7:13 pm

Post Cojak
I really do enjoy reading this every year of so. It is sorta entertaining. Of course several minds have been changed. Smile I am for moderation. BUT I never fuss with any T-totalers they have the right to their opinions.

Most of it comes from up-bringing, rather than scripture. IMHO Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/8/15 12:09 am

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Anyone who says obesity doesn't destroy other lives has probably never lived with, loved, and taken care of someone who can barely walk or breathe. That will be the fate of a near majority of Americans who are young and middle aged adults today.

There are alcoholics in the world, but tens if not hundreds of millions of people regularly drink in moderation without consequence.

There is not one person who is obese and not facing health consequences and earlier death as a result.

Anyone who says obesity is MY business and only hurts me, has never known a small wife, sister or loved one who was a care=giver to an obese husband or brother. I have know of injuries to innocent loved ones who were left to roll, lift and clean the obese person who said, "This is MY business."

Look around you, if it hasn't affected you, it might.

Just a view from EXPERIENCE! Sad

Krista, the obese person may not run over someone, but they kill more slowly. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/8/15 12:15 am

Post Some does some does not.... spartanfan
since the English word "wine" is used as the translation of the Hebrew word for fermented grape juice and the Hebrew word for grape juice that is fresh and not fermented then some "wine" in the Bible did contain alcohol and some did not. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/8/15 7:47 am

Post krista
Dave Dorsey wrote:

" without consequence" is delusional. It has been fabricated by the media and also our culture. It is also as good as an excuse to drink as anything you can think of.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/8/15 3:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.