Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Yes, you can campaign against a COG official - PART I

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Yes, you can campaign against a COG official - PART I doyle
Though we would prefer that campaigning for COG General Assembly elections would not happen so soon, it has already begun. With a 24-hour flow of information these days, those who have an interest in the outcome of those elections, will find a way to discuss who they feel would make the best officials.

Actually, as is true in national politics, campaigning for official positions in the COG never stops. In the COG, it begins anew the very moment following General Assembly elections. Within hours after elections at the past Assembly, a post appeared on ACTS; "Who do you think will get it next time?"

Listen, whether we like it or not, regardless whether we think they should or should not, people are going to discuss those who hold a position of leadership in their life. That is true for local pastors, state overseers, and general officials. Locally, it happens about who will be on the school board, who the Sheriff will be; senators, representatives, governor etc.

It is understood that in the COG, allowing people to discuss why they will, or will not, be voting for a particular person, is new and somewhat disconcerting. However, up to now in the COG, angels do not come down and appoint church officials. Choosing COG officials has been delegated to COG ministers and members.

It seems God trusts us to make wise decisions. Our denominational history seems to indicate that in the majority of situations, COG ministers and members lived up to that trust. There have certainly been some excellent people who have been elected over the years.

Since June 13, 1903, when the handful of people meeting in a hard-scrabble mountain shack near Murphy, NC, chose A.J. Tomlinson to be pastor and ultimately General overseer, voting for officials has been part of our system. So, elections for church officials is not a new thing. Personally, I think it continues to be a strength of our particular system.

It gives the governed a voice in who will do the governing. It holds those who are elected, accountable to those who elected them. It allows those who pay, to have a say. Wise officials want to hear what their constituents have to say. They want the journey on the Good Ship COG to be a pleasant one for all on board, not just for the Captains.

When it was time to replace Judas, the disciples drew straws. I have always found that to be rather odd. However, to my knowledge, God never gave them any particular instruction in how to chose a replacement for Judas. I think allowing people to vote, is a far better way than the "luck of the draw."

When people are not allowed to vote, strong personalities rise without any accountability. In religious organizations, no voting can lead to cultism. One person supposedly hears from God and all the others must do what that person says. To disagree with them, is viewed as speaking against God.

Continued in PART II
http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=82707

Last edited by doyle on 6/18/15 10:33 am; edited 8 times in total
Acts-celerate Owner
6/17/15 12:26 pm

Post Doyle cogalltheway
If you feel my previous posts in other threads were out of line please let me know publicly or privately and I will remove them. I don't want to attack anyone. Friendly Face
6/17/15 12:48 pm

Post To cogalltheway doyle
It is not out of line to share why you feel as you do, AS LONG as the post does not make personal attacks.

We did take a look at your post and did not see it as a personal attack. From what we saw, you quoted what a church official said. In such cases,
we look to see if anyone else says they heard it, and some did.

Your post sparked off a discussion about what the official may or may not have trying to communicate with that quote. Some of his friends and supporters shared their support for him and what they felt he may have been trying to say.

That is perfectly in order too and we welcome such posts.

Doyle
6/17/15 1:24 pm

Post Kyle Morrow
Doyle,

I have a question for cogalltheway. He supposedly quoted what a leader said. My question is was he there to here the statement or is it based on heresay. If he wasn't there, then I'm sure he didn't get the context, therefore he misrepresented an official from the cowardice of an alias.
6/17/15 2:35 pm

Post JimmieDavis
Kyle,

Were you there? Or are just assuming you know. if you weren't then you are unable to say with assurety what he said or didn't say.
Friendly Face
6/17/15 2:44 pm

Post Doyle cogalltheway
I think Kyle is attacking my integrity. He should apologize. I didn't put quotations around any remarks and I actually used initials and not names. He brought the names in and then accused me of misquoting. If anything I was quoting the people I heard discussing the offering and the comment.

Kyle- you TE boys are all the same. Get your facts straight before you come at a chi guy.
Friendly Face
6/17/15 2:55 pm

Post Kyle and Jimmie AussieRain
Kyle, it seems you and I feel the same on this matter. However, he didn't QUOTE and leader, he MISquoted a leader.

and Jimmie, I will copy and paste a portion of my response to you and the other thread:

"I heard it with my own ears. I and everyone else around me who heard it knew what he meant. And everyone who has see heard that statement knows what it means and what anyone would mean by that. He was talking about authority not money, and it wasn't even said in an aggressive manner."
Friendly Face
6/17/15 2:55 pm

Post Re: Doyle Nature Boy Florida
cogalltheway wrote:

Kyle- you TE boys are all the same. Get your facts straight before you come at a chi guy.

COGALLTHEWAY - don't want to out you or anything - but since you are Chi - you're not posting from the slammer for pilfering a bunch of HQ money, are you?
6/17/15 3:30 pm

Post In defense of doyle
Several posters here on ACTS and some behind the scenes too, say they also heard the quote, so technically, the poster did not make a false statement. However, most who responded on the board, did so on behalf of the speaker, not the poster. They say the speaker was not in any way attempting to draw attention to himself but was making a broader point.

It really is amazing sometimes how different people can come away from the same quote or situation, with such different perceptions.
6/17/15 4:09 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.