Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

There has to be more to this Faith
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post There has to be more to this Faith Patrick Harris
This will be my rant and then I’m done.
The questions still linger, the desire still remains. There has to be something more. There is a missing piece. There is a deeper faith that lies somewhere.

I’ve been saved for 45 years and filled with the Spirit and in the Pentecostal church since the early 80’s. God has given me an incredible life with a lot of adventures in my faith.
However, the last 5 years I’ve had a feeling that something is missing. There is a mystery to this faith that I haven’t grasped yet. It’s not just me either, several people I’ve talked to feel the same way. The closest I can explain it is the deepness and fear that the High Priest must have felt in the Holy of Holy’s.
Sunday mornings feel self-absorbed in almost every church I’ve been in. It’s more about what can I get from God, how can I feel better when I walk out the door. It never feels like pure worship to me, whatever that is. I realize there are pastor and ministers who are actually caring about the people that come on Sunday, but it still feels hollow.
If I could figure out how to deprogram everything I knew and all the preconceived ideas I had about my faith, I’d try that.

I wish I could tell you how many evenings I just sit and think about this and how it hurts and frustrates because I can’t seem to find that missing link. I know the obvious answers that will come up: more prayer, more study in the Bible, etc.. However, I can tell you for my own experience they aren’t working. It actually makes me want to say “I just don’t care corporate church anymore and walk my own road of faith”.

Thanks for listening, maybe pray if you think about it.
Acts Enthusiast
11/18/14 5:15 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
If I could figure out how to deprogram everything I knew and all the preconceived ideas I had about my faith, I’d try that.

I'm not a pastor or even a licensed minister but grew up that way. This is what I did. It was the greatest transformation of my life. I had a period of time when I just didn't even go to church. Some here will remember a time when I used to talk about doing "home church." I learned so much in that time. It was refreshing. The challenge that you may have is that if you are a pastor and are depending on the ministry for your finances, it would be difficult.

My theology has changed a good bit since before that time and I am totally happy with my beliefs! I am open minded that some of them may be wrong or off a bit but you can chalk up my belief in John 3:16, Romans 12:2 and Mark 12:30-31. Everything else is just extra! Smile

I hope you can work through this. You'll be happy when you break through!
Acts-pert Poster
11/18/14 5:22 pm

Post Change Agent
Patrick, have been there and felt the way you feel. In the churches in my local area there seems to be the same things (stale) that I have heard for years. I have started moving in different circles of church. I have come alive hearing new revelation and have latched on to those things and they have revived me.

If you are hearing things that you have heard from a child you are still on milk, not because you want to be, but because it is the only available word. If you are a pastor read articles written by those outside your denomination or inside your denomination find those that can give you that word that is alive to your spirit. Your spirit will let you know when you find what you need.
Acts Enthusiast
11/18/14 5:50 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I'll be praying for you, Patrick. Self-centered, shallow 'worship' has definitely been a major problem ever since the days of Cain. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/18/14 7:53 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Patrick, it could be that they aint nothing wrong with any a the stuff you've described, but that God is leading you personally into a fresh/new place of intimacy with him. All revivals, personal and collective, have arisen from folk who wanted more a God. Acts-pert Poster
11/18/14 7:59 pm

Post Re: There has to be more to this Faith Cojak
Patrick Harris wrote:
The questions still linger, the desire still remains. There has to be something more. There is a missing piece. There is a deeper faith that lies somewhere.

I’ve been saved for 45 years and filled with the Spirit and in the Pentecostal church since the early 80’s. God has given me an incredible life with a lot of adventures in my faith.
However, the last 5 years I’ve had a feeling that something is missing. There is a mystery to this faith that I haven’t grasped yet. It’s not just me either, several people I’ve talked to feel the same way. The closest I can explain it is the deepness and fear that the High Priest must have felt in the Holy of Holy’s.
Sunday mornings feel self-absorbed in almost every church I’ve been in. It’s more about what can I get from God, how can I feel better when I walk out the door. It never feels like pure worship to me, whatever that is. I realize there are pastor and ministers who are actually caring about the people that come on Sunday, but it still feels hollow.

I wish I could tell you how many evenings I just sit and think about this and how it hurts and frustrates because I can’t seem to find that missing link. I know the obvious answers that will come up: more prayer, more study in the Bible, etc.. However, I can tell you for my own experience they aren’t working. It actually makes me want to say “I just don’t care corporate church anymore and walk my own road of faith”.

Love you Bro. Hang in there and follow your soul, your faith. Yep, not to be flippant, but I know the feelings. Prayers your way dude. There will be light at the end of the tunnel.

(Caution: When you see the light, DO NOT BUY MORE TUNNEL! ) Idea
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/18/14 9:26 pm

Post Randy Johnson
Patrick, I'm not sure how much of a reader you are, but I would highly recommend reading some good books on Church History. One author I read was Kenneth Scott Latourette. I also read a lot of the Will and Ariel Durant series on the rise of Civilization.

It may sound counterintuitive to read nontheological works to help you in your faith, but it gives you a broader base and perspective to view the world and to view God and the Scriptures from. I often tell people that the most valuable courses I took at ORU weren't in the theology department, they were in the Humaniteis department.
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/18/14 9:35 pm

Post you need Rafael D Martinez
Hebrews 12:2

Read several times and praise Him in the morning.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
11/19/14 3:30 am

Post Re: There has to be more to this Faith bradfreeman
Patrick Harris wrote:

I love you and believe you're moving in the right direction - into the life and freedom and grace brings. I'd be happy to talk or meet with you just have a cup of coffee and connect. I know it sounds trite and cliche, but our satisfaction is found in Jesus, not religious chores. No, religion says: "Do your chores!" Pray! Read! Fast! Jesus says: "I will give you rest."

You're on the right track Patrick.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
11/19/14 7:15 am

Post c6thplayer1
Start doing something for others every day. Make it a point in your life and your frustration will begin to leave while satisfaction takes its place. It can be nothing more than compliments to someone. God will direct you. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/19/14 11:28 am

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Start doing something for others every day. Make it a point in your life and your frustration will begin to leave while satisfaction takes its place. It can be nothing more than compliments to someone. God will direct you.

Thumb Up Sweet! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/19/14 11:45 am

Post Patrick Harris
This my 2015 motto:
“I just don’t care about how the corporate church functions I will walk my own road of faith”.
Bottom line: I'm going to search for new ways of connection outside of traditional church.

If that helping the homeless or teaching a coffee bible study then Thats where I'll be.
Acts Enthusiast
12/30/14 11:11 am

Post Great advise JLarry
Quote:
Start doing something for others every day. Make it a point in your life and your frustration will begin to leave while satisfaction takes its place. It can be nothing more than compliments to someone. God will direct you.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/30/14 1:06 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Quote:
Multitudes of Christians within the church are moving toward the point where they may reject the institution that we call the church. They are beginning to turn to more simplified forms of worship. They are hungry for a personal and vital experience with Jesus Christ. They want a heartwarming personal faith. Unless the church quickly recovers its authoritative Biblical message, we may witness the spectacle of millions of Christians going outside the institutional church to find spiritual food. - Billy Graham

Billy Graham had some very powerful insight.
Acts Enthusiast
12/30/14 1:18 pm

Post You are not alone famousflavius
You are not the only one who is experiencing this transition. People are sick of the machine we call the church and looking for what the bible calls the Body of Christ.

The machine is well oiled and all consuming. The machine will take what it needs from you and then throw you out like atomic waste.

The body brings life and is amazingly simple. Prayer, Worship, Word and Fellowship.

The Lord has been so gracious to lead me to a group of like minded believers. We have no programs, only people hungry for Jesus. We do not meet together on the last Sunday of each month so everyone can spend time with their own family or go and serve somewhere else.

Hang in there man! There is hope. God is doing something new and it looks completely different than what the mega church machines tell you it has to look like.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
12/30/14 1:37 pm

Post Change Agent
Patrick, I am experiencing some of the same things in the nominal church. There is no excellence in the praise of God. The sermon in most cases is one that I learned in the card class when I was 6 years old. No time is put in the sermon to get a true spiritual word for a believer who wants to grow. The preaching of faith does not exist. Most of the sermons are not about God or Jesus but about what we as Christians should do or shouldn't do.

The only way I can get inspired is by my personal Bible reading and going to non COG conferences where a close and holy relation with Jesus is preached.
Acts Enthusiast
12/30/14 1:38 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Thanks for the Feedback, at least I know that I'm not alone in this dilemma. Acts Enthusiast
12/31/14 8:05 am

Post Re: You are not alone Old Time Country Preacher
famousflavius wrote:
The Lord has been so gracious to lead me to a group of like minded believers. We have no programs, only people hungry for Jesus.

Just let the good Lord lead, huh? So, a few months from now Sis Sue feels led to handle a serpent, or Bro Bob gives a prophet word sayin Jesus is only one of many ways to God. Who responds and how is the error engaged?
Acts-pert Poster
12/31/14 10:48 am

Post Patrick poppy
I would encourage you to be very careful about walking your own road and doing your own thing. I would also encourage you not to be too disparaging about the corporate church. The Lord has used the corporate church for a long long time and continues to do so today. Through out the history of the Church God has raised up special people for a special work in a kairos moment. I would suspect that the feelings you are having are the seeds of that special move of God in your life. However, should you mishandle that moment through frustration or even anger, it will be lost to you.
I encourage you to stay hungry and humble and walk softly before God and let Him lead you. The encouragement to get outside of yourself is good, but you may want to consider doing that in a bigger way. Fast, pray, but maybe sell something you love and give that money to God. Let him direct you where to give it or how to use it. Think about a mission trip. Let God use you in a strange field where you are out of your comfort zone and have to depend completely on Him. One thing is forever settled, when we draw nigh to Him, He will draw nigh to us.
Maybe think about enrolling in a class, even if it is an online audit class, on the history of revival or the the lives of great preachers God has used through the years.
Above all, be careful. If God has entrusted these feelings to you and desires to use you, don't miss Him. When Elijah was on Mt. Horeb and the fire and the wind and the earthquake came, God was not in then right then. He had been before and He has been since. God chose to communicate with Elijah thru a still small voice. Elijah had believed that he was the only one, but he found out that God had 7000 that had not bowed the knee to Baal. God still has those, even in the corporate church who are right there with you. He may lift you above the pattern and routine, but i believe He has great things in store.
Friendly Face
12/31/14 12:29 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Thanks poppy and Tom. Great thoughts and caution.

Tom I'll send you an email.
Acts Enthusiast
12/31/14 8:13 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.