Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

God told me to leave and go to another church
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post God told me to leave and go to another church ddan
I had a young man who had been coming for a while told me last week that he thought that God wanted him to go to another church. It is interesting how fast God can change his mind. How many have had this happen to you. Member
6/5/14 4:42 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Probably the worst I ever heard was several years ago, when our only piano player, who was very much involved in many crucial aspects of our small church, said God told her to just start having church at her house and that "the time was too short before Jesus' return" for her to attend our church any more. Had to be the goofiest excuse for dropping out of church I ever heard. The fact that she would try to attribute this excuse to the leading of the Holy Spirit was just amazing. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/5/14 4:52 pm

Post diakoneo
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Probably the worst I ever heard was several years ago, when our only piano player, who was very much involved in many crucial aspects of our small church, said God told her to just start having church at her house and that "the time was too short before Jesus' return" for her to attend our church any more. Had to be the goofiest excuse for dropping out of church I ever heard. The fact that she would try to attribute this excuse to the leading of the Holy Spirit was just amazing.

I had a couple tell me that they couldn't grow at our church. So they left our church where thry were very active and went to a larger church, where they are pew sitting. Folks will tell you all kinds of things when they are leaving Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/5/14 6:05 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sometimes people leave because God told the preacher to leave - and he didn't.

Sometimes people leave because a preacher left - when God had told him to stay.

Trust me - it isn't always the pew folks that make the mistakes.
6/5/14 6:20 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

Trust me - it isn't always the pew folks that make the mistakes.

Its always the pew folks who make the mistakes.

Hey, just joshin NBF. In my experience, the majority a folk who told me "God had led em elsewhere," in time it was proven incorrect.
Acts-pert Poster
6/5/14 7:28 pm

Post I have learned Scooter
I have learned to thank God for those people who do such things.

I mean thank God they left. I would hate to have people representing the local church that were that flighty or fruity.
Acts Enthusiast
6/6/14 6:47 am

Post philunderwood
The people I love are the people that say...

"This just doesn't do it for me anymore and I want to switch flavors."

"I used to like your stuff, but now I Google all your sermons and see you are just copying others...I'm not into remakes."

"Y'all keep it too cold in here for me."

"I like sleep more than I like you."

"I asked God if I should stay. He said, "Stay where?" That's when I knew He had quit going too."

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
6/6/14 9:28 am

Post JLarry
I have one who ask the HS if she should attend church each Sunday.

When I invite people to church and they say; "I will try to make it Sunday", I follow up with, "I will also try to make it Sunday"

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
6/6/14 9:41 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
philunderwood wrote:
The people I love are the people that say...

"This just doesn't do it for me anymore and I want to switch flavors."

"I used to like your stuff, but now I Google all your sermons and see you are just copying others...I'm not into remakes."

"Y'all keep it too cold in here for me."

"I like sleep more than I like you."

"I asked God if I should stay. He said, "Stay where?" That's when I knew He had quit going too."

Nice ones
6/6/14 9:42 am

Post I have learned.. wayne
..no matter how aggravating it is to see them leave, just shake their hand and wish them well. For some it's a blessing when they leave and some are insecure and don't know what they are leaving. I have had a lot of people leave our church and have had a few families come back but, God has always replaced those who left usually with better and more.

It's hard to do but try not to overthink it when people leave. Ugh, I've learned the hard way.

my father-in-law told me this but, I still had to learn it the hard way.
Acts Enthusiast
6/6/14 10:35 am

Hey, an I love the one where folk say, "I'll be there if it's the Lord's will."

Yep, I know the good Book says to say "if it's the Lords will we will do this or that, but when most folk say it today, hey, they mean "if I feel like it or not."
Acts-pert Poster
6/6/14 11:30 am

Post dolfan
JLarry wrote:
I have one who ask the HS if she should attend church each Sunday.

When I invite people to church and they say; "I will try to make it Sunday", I follow up with, "I will also try to make it Sunday"

Let them try saying that to their boss about Monday.
6/6/14 12:03 pm

Post interesting Tracy S Hamilton
Here is an interesting article:

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/church/5-really-bad-reasons-leave-your-church#BQw7jPjtStzzpvSw.01
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
6/6/14 12:48 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
As a very young Christian, I worked a camera and felt like I needed to step down from that team. I told the leader of that team, but he didn't stop scheduling me, so I didn't stop serving. It was among the greatest things that ever happened to me -- within seven months I was leading the entire media ministry, and did so for ten years.

I sometimes wonder if I would have missed out on everything God had for me had I pressed to step down. I wonder how much of what God has people miss out on because they feel "led" to do this or that.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 6/6/14 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/6/14 1:15 pm

Post Tracy S Hamilton
Dave Dorsey wrote:
As a very young Christian, I worked a camera and felt like I needed to step down from that team. I told the leader of that team, but he didn't stop scheduling me, so I didn't stop serving. It was among the greatest things that ever happened to me -- within seven months as I was leading the entire media ministry, and did so for ten years.

I sometimes wonder if I would have missed out on everything God had for me had I pressed to step down. I wonder how much of what God has people miss out on because they feel "led" to do this or that.

Very good stuff!! I think we all at times feel the need to "move" or make a change. Sometimes the most difficult thing to do is stay the course when it seems like the best and easiest thing to do is make a move.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
6/6/14 1:29 pm

Dave Dorsey wrote:
As a very young Christian, I worked a camera and felt like I needed to step down from that team. I told the leader of that team, but he didn't stop scheduling me, so I didn't stop serving. It was among the greatest things that ever happened to me -- within seven months as I was leading the entire media ministry, and did so for ten years.

I'm with ya Trippy.

Hey, they been days I considered steppin down from Acts, but then I commence gittin private messages bout how effective ma Acts ministry is, then I start thinkin bout how many folk will not be blessed if I quit, so, the ole timer trods on. Hey, one day maybe I will be leading the entire Acts ministry team. Mr. Green
Acts-pert Poster
6/6/14 1:36 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Hey, one day maybe I will be leading the entire Acts ministry team. Mr. Green

The Lord works in mysterious ways... that's scripture, right?? Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/6/14 4:38 pm

Dave Dorsey wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Hey, one day maybe I will be leading the entire Acts ministry team. Mr. Green

The Lord works in mysterious ways... that's scripture, right?? Laughing

Hey, ats right. For all you boys know, OTCP might be Doyle. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
6/6/14 4:44 pm

Post drmrc
People will come and people will go. It's part of the "circle of church life".
Sometimes it's a blessing. Sometimes is a burden. Sometimes it a shock -- we didn't see it coming. Sometimes it feels like a slap in the face, and at other times it's a sigh of relief. It is the nature of church and it is the nature of human relationships.

As pastors, we must afford the people in our church the same courtesy and freedom we have. Very few pastors spend their whole ministry at one church. Even those of us who are long term (I've been at City Church for almost 38 years), we probably served at least one or two other churches. There comes a point where we say, "I feel like my time is over here and God is leading my ministry in a different direction." If we have the right to say that, then our church members do as well -- without feeling like somehow that have done something wrong or shameful.

Also, as pastors we have all been on the other side of this equation. Not all of the growth at our churches has come from conversion growth. Good people have come to our churches from other churches. Do we believe God sent them to us -- that it is God's will for them to come to our church? Usually, the answer is "of course." Well, just think-- there is another pastor on the other side who probably at the moment finds it hard to say that.

Gentlemen and ladies, we can't have it both ways. What goes around comes around. By God's grace, flow with the season God has you in. Keep the mission of Jesus in the center. Love the people God has sent you -- when they come and when they leave. They are not your sheep. They are His.

I fully understand that some people are running away from problems ... or hurts ... our frustration. Speak redemptively into their lives. Bring grace to situations where misunderstandings may have been. Release them to serve God. Let them know that your door and your heart are always open to them. Never speak ill of them to others. God will not bless this, and it will backfire.

Then, give yourself a day or two to be down. Then, get up, dust yourself off. Remember the words of Nehemiah, "I cannot quit for I am doing a great work."

For what it's worth...

Mike Chapman
Friendly Face
6/6/14 9:20 pm

Post Ronald Ronald
Praise God when they come, and praise God when they go. Friendly Face
6/7/14 9:59 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.