Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The DECISION On Brad Freeman's Religion Post
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post c6thplayer1
I just wish we could get this much participation on election day... Wink Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/11/14 6:49 pm

Post Are you Serious????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bonnie knox
I cannot believe you actually think the urban dictionary is a place to get a reliable definition. It seems to me a place to see how creatively nasty one can be. Here is the definition of "preacher" from the urban dictionary:

Often found on street corners talking some nonsense about god and amusing the general public.

Preacher: "THE APOCOLYPSE IS COMING, REPENT!!!!"
General crowd: "LOL!"

Definition of "Christian" from the urban dictionary:

Someone who is tired of searching their name on the internet and recieving only religion-related results, overall an awesome person, extremely intelligent and attractive

Christian searched his name on Google and ended up on the website for a local church

Definition "Bible" from the urban dictionary:
bible

An ancient novel full of murder, corruption, homosexuality, bestiality, incest and cruelty. It is often read to children on Sunday.

As I understand, any fool can submit a definition. The volunteer editors vote (with NO CRITERIA) whether or not to include that definition. Very authoritative!! Site visitors can apparently vote against a definition. Again, very authoritative.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
bradfreeman wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
This topic comes at a good time. I am preaching a series of Sermons on the idea of how our culture has effected the Church. About how the Church has accepted many of the traits and behaviors that we expect only from the culture we live in. I would expect to hear the word in question, if I was at the mall, but coming from a minister is quite a shock.

It is interesting, that a word that had it's beginnings in the sexual deviant, not only is accepted by many in the church, but it is in many cases embraced by those who Minister the Word of God.
This will work good for Sunday.

Actually Mark, the Urban dictionary (a place where one would expect a rough etiology of the term) describes the origins of the term as follows:

From the Urban Dictionary:

Sucks
Not good. Bad.

"The early Jazz musicians would say that a guy could really "Blow" if he had a good sound when playing the horn. If he couldn't play very well then they would say that he was "Sucking" on that horn. That's where the term "Suck" as being something bad came from.
He plays that horn so poorly that he must be sucking on it.

He doesn't blow, he sucks."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/14 7:44 pm

Post Re: Are you Serious????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bradfreeman
bonnie knox wrote:
I cannot believe you actually think the urban dictionary is a place to get a reliable definition. It seems to me a place to see how creatively nasty one can be.

As I mentioned, one would expect that to be the place for the edgiest of definitions. Dig deeper BK, you can find the actual etymology.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/11/14 10:28 pm

Post Re: Are you Serious????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bonnie knox
bradfreeman wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
I cannot believe you actually think the urban dictionary is a place to get a reliable definition. It seems to me a place to see how creatively nasty one can be.

As I mentioned, one would expect that to be the place for the edgiest of definitions. Dig deeper BK, you can find the actual etymology.

I witnessed the etymology first hand.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/12/14 12:09 am

Post Re: Are you Serious????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poimen
bonnie knox wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

I witnessed the etymology first hand.

How old ARE you???

Never mind the more ancient origins of the term itself ... concerning the modern slang expression, and it's various uses, the online etymology dictionary says ...
    It's use to refer to sucking eggs, as in deprived of meaning or worth (akin to a slang use of weasel) was in 1906.

It's use referring to oral sex (with no distinction being made as to the hetero/homosexual nature of the act) is first recorded in 1928.

It's use in reference to sucking the hind tit/teat (akin to being the runt), expressing inferiority, in 1940.

It's use meaning "to be contemptible", claiming the underlying notion there regards oral sex [with no source or further explanation], akin to expressions like "that stinks", or "bummer", was in 1971.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."

Last edited by Poimen on 2/13/14 4:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/12/14 3:53 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post bonnie knox
Again, Poimen, we are not discussing the general word "suck." As DrDuck pointed out, we are discussing it's use in modern slang.
I own a "New College Edition The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language" which has a copyright of 1976. It does not have a definition at all for the word "suck" when used to mean something is disgustingly offensive. The 2009 copyright edition lists that meaning and lists it as vulgar.
Without answering the cute question of how old this lady is, let's just say I've been alive the entire time between 1976 and 2009.
(I'm also younger than Brad.)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/12/14 11:30 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
bonnie knox wrote:

Who isn't?
2/12/14 12:03 pm

Post bonnie knox
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Who isn't?

Cojak, DrDuck, and Larry. (And Doyle, and Tom, and Rabbi, and NBF, lol) And theElder, but I haven't seen him around lately.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/12/14 1:05 pm

Post bradfreeman
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Who isn't?

It's not polite to point. Cool

Acts-dicted
2/12/14 3:35 pm

Post Poimen
bonnie knox wrote:
Again, Poimen, we are not discussing the general word "suck."

Nor was I. Which is why I didn't go back to the Germanic, French or Latin roots.

Quote:
As DrDuck pointed out, we are discussing it's use in modern slang.

As am I, which is why I referenced slang usage of the term in modern American culture beginning around 1900.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/12/14 7:29 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post bradfreeman
Poimen wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Nor was I. Which is why I didn't go back to the Germanic, French or Latin roots.

Quote:

As am I, which is why I referenced slang usage of the term in modern American culture beginning around 1900.

Thanks for trying to bring some sense to this gross overreaction. Thumb Up

Acts-dicted
2/12/14 9:07 pm

Post krista
bradfreeman wrote:
Poimen wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for trying to bring some sense to this gross overreaction. Thumb Up

Wasn't that what you wanted? You post an outrageous thread and when you get the reaction you looked for, it gives you the opportunity to point out other's "gross overreaction".
What is "gross" is that vulgar word you used and I assume you use it all the time.
But who am I? Doyle said it was an "excellent point". Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/14/14 6:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.