Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Predestination just makes more sense
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Predestination just makes more sense Troy Hamby
I was listening to a Mark Driscoll sermon this morning on the way to work and he was preaching out of Ephesians. He got on the topic of election/predestination and he read a few testimonies of people's salvation experiences in his church. Without fail, they all were extremely far away from God (some even involved in the occult/athiests, etc) and none of them were searching for God. God FOUND them, spoke to them, wooed them and saved them, apart from their own good deeds or efforts. If you look at the salvation stories in the Bible, they are all the same (Paul/Peter/Matthew)...Jesus sought them out and chose them.

So, for those who believe in free will, etc., were you initially seeking God when you were saved? Or were you like me...1,000,000 miles away from God and He chose you, spoke to you, wooed you and saved you apart from anything you had to offer to Him? If we were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world, do we think our free will trumps His sovereign foreknowledge and election? If He has chosen us, can we resist that choice and use our free will to reject Him?

Last question: can you be Pentecostal and believe in predestination?
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/4/14 9:50 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Pentecostal theology (like Arminianism), in no way denies that God draws people unto himself by what is called prevenient grace. Nor does Arminianism affirm that we can do anything to deserve salvation. There is no need to assume predestinarianism based on the fact that God draws/leads people unto himself. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 10:36 am

Post Troy Hamby
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
There is no need to assume predestinarianism based on the fact that God draws/leads people unto himself.

How about assuming based on scripture? Ephesians 1:5 "he[a] predestined us for adoption to sonship[b] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will". This sounds more than "drawing/leading"...sounds like choosing according to HIS will, not ours. If God chose you to be His child before the foundation of the Earth, wouldn't that choice be irresistible for us?
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/4/14 10:52 am

Post We are chosen IN HIM Poimen
God has chosen that ALL of us would be his children in and through Christ, and He has made that choice known and available to us by sending Jesus and through the gospel. He has chosen us, in Christ, but we must in turn choose to be and/or to remain in Him. We must make our calling and election sure, by and through His grace. His choice that we should be His and be like Jesus is not a coerced or forced outcome, nor is our election a forgone conclusion or rouse. God wants us, and he wants us to ant Him. We can either accept that, and be accepted, or we can resist that or reject it.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/4/14 11:27 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Quiet Wyatt
Calvinists do like to insist that their views are strictly biblical, that they are taking "just the Bible" to get their doctrine. It is not necessary in any case for an Arminian/freewiller to deny predestination/election as a biblical truth. Calvinistic predestinarianism is a different thing though.

One certainly cannot deny that God's choice has always been (from before the foundation of the world) that mankind would be holy and blameless before Him. Nor can one deny that God's plan/purpose is that the church be called out and set apart from sinful humanity. But with Calvinism, one must deny that God wants ALL to be holy and without blame before Him in love, and must also affirm that God has created the vast majority of mankind, not to show his great heart of love, but instead to show His indignation and wrath upon them--for being precisely what He unilaterally caused them to be (sinful).

For a thorough and excellent theological and exegetical study on election and predestination from a Christocentric, corporate, conditional perspective, I recommend Elect in the Son by R.L. Shank (who had formerly been a Calvinist seminary professor)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 11:32 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
For an excellent theological and exegetical study on election and predestination from a corporate, conditional perspective, I recommend Elect in the Son by R.L. Shank (who had formerly been a Calvinist seminary professor)

Thanks, I've added this to my Amazon.com wishlist for my next book haul and am looking forward to reading this. I "struggle" with the same issues Troy has raised here. 4 to 4.5 point Calvinism seems like a much more sensible theological construct to me. I say "struggle" because I've found that among Calvinists or Arminians who are also sincere believers there is almost no difference in commitment to the Lord or to evangelism. That said, I'm eager to learn what this author has to say on the topic.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 11:48 am

Post c6thplayer1
So who or what shall we believe

1. the bible as God gives one to interpret it
2. A interpretation derived from someone else's perspective

I realize that there is a lot of good guidance from those whom have studied
certain subjects but shouldn't one rely on Gods guidance for the meaning of scriptures.

ie I would take some of the posts above , and prove them with scripture. If they stand then the interpretation is correct.

Since God knows who is predestined and will make it then I would say predestination , from Gods perspective , is 100% truth.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/4/14 11:56 am

Post Illustration that might help patrickballington
I was eating at a local restaurant with the son of a COG pastor who was rejecting his COG / Pentecostal / free-will heritage for a cessationist, Calvinist theology.

While we were eating, an employee came out and posted a sign on the door, "Checks No Longer Accepted."

I pointed out how the owner of the restaurant opened the business fully expecting people to eat there. In fact, they hoped and desired for EVERYBODY to eat there. They welcomed and accepted anybody who would walk through the doors hungry for a meal. They would advertise and woo people to come in and eat. No doubt they went out and brought friends and family in by the hand. Others just popped in looking for a place to eat. But they all came by their own volition - freedom of choice.

However, once they got there, they were told how they would pay for their meal...and checks were not accepted.

Did the owner choose who could eat there or limit services to anyone? No
Did the owner invite everyone and open the doors to everyone who wanted to come in? Yes
But did the owner predetermine how those he foreknew would come to eat there would pay? yes

Eph 1:4-13 paraphrased
In love [the restaurant owner] predestined [those who choose to eat there] to [pay with cash or credit card], in accordance with his pleasure and will...

...In him we were also chosen [made heirs or benefactors of everything on the menu], having been predestined [to pay with cash or credit card] according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first [to eat the restaurant], might be for the praise of his glory.

God predetermined and predestined the end result of salvation for anyone and everyone who CHOOSES to accept Christ; the end result is conformity to Christ.

Therefore, those who get saved to "go to heaven" miss the point because that is NOT what God has predestined and predetermined the final outcome of their salvation to be. It is predetermined that they will become "like him" (1 John 3). This is the destination of those who choose, whether a result of our searching for him or his searching for us.

This opens the door for "whosoever will."
Friendly Face
2/4/14 12:12 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
Why can't it be both/and??

God chooses people and people choose God.
2/4/14 12:14 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I was listening to a Mark Driscoll sermon this morning on the way to work

times are lean, eh?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 12:17 pm

Post Sad truth of Calvinism patrickballington
Also, I reminded the guy of his very young children.

What if God has predetermined that the man and hi wife will be saved but his kids will not? How cruel and tragic to realize that nothing he and his wife can do will altar their eternal separation from God. Nothing.

In that case, love them while you have them and try not to picture them in hell - just thank God he chose you and your wife.

Those who lean to predestination and away from free will tend to only consider "them" - meaning those outside the faith - and never "us" - meaning those under their own roof. It's as if "saved people" get married and give birth to "saved people" and vice versa.

But what if God predetermines that the heritage of salvation in your family line ends with you and your kids and grandkids are damned?

Without long generations of people born and raised kin the COG faith, who would be left to serve on the Executive Committee? Wink
Friendly Face
2/4/14 12:19 pm

Post Troy Hamby
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

times are lean, eh?

nah, he actually preaches the Bible and doesn't just prance around making guttural noises and making everyone say "Amen" to every word he says so he feels better about his sermon. I like that.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/4/14 12:50 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Brandon Bowers wrote:
Why can't it be both/and??

God chooses people and people choose God.

While oftentimes the "both/and" approach can be helpful, in this case it simply can't be both/and. If Calvinistic predestinarianism is true, then Arminianism, by definition, is untrue. Any moral responsibility (freewill) that anyone has is at most an illusion, if Calvinism is true--one merely thinks one has free choice/moral responsibility, when in actuality God is simply pulling all the strings in the grand puppet show of life.

If one is comfortable with God being the author of sin, then Calvinism might provide a modicum of comfort to such an individual. However, even the Calvinist's assurance of his personal election is just as likely to be an illusion, for God could just be deceiving them into thinking they are elect, all of course for His own glory. It is difficult to imagine a more selfish and unloving God than Calvinism presents.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 12:51 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
For an excellent theological and exegetical study on election and predestination from a corporate, conditional perspective, I recommend Elect in the Son by R.L. Shank (who had formerly been a Calvinist seminary professor)

Thanks, I've added this to my Amazon.com wishlist for my next book haul and am looking forward to reading this. I "struggle" with the same issues Troy has raised here. 4 to 4.5 point Calvinism seems like a much more sensible theological construct to me. I say "struggle" because I've found that among Calvinists or Arminians who are also sincere believers there is almost no difference in commitment to the Lord or to evangelism. That said, I'm eager to learn what this author has to say on the topic.

Shank thoroughly exegetes each and every passage pertaining to election. His other (fairly) well-known work, Life in the Son, does the same with regard to the Calvinistic doctrine of perseverance.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 12:55 pm

Post Yep, Predestination is True Old Time Country Preacher
But a fellers gotta git his hermanuetics right.

For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son. (Romans 8:29a, NIV)

Folks is predestined cordin to the foreknowledge a God. God knowin ahead a time what decision folk would make, them what choose to surrender to God, is predestined by God to become sons a God.

Now, hyper-Calvinism, attemptin to elevate the sovereignty a God, takes out the element a human choice. So, to them, God, just fer his own pleasure predestines some to heaven an some to hell (double predestination). Now if God gits pleasure outta predestinin some to go to hell, he violates his own attributes a mercy, grace, love, etc. Pure hyper-Calvinism is not God's plan a salvation.
Acts-pert Poster
2/4/14 1:09 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Calvinistic theology, at its core, is expressly monergistic and Augustinian; that is, God alone does all, everything that ever occurs is God's will, whether one is saved or not is solely up to God. In Calvinism, grace is understood solely in monergistic terms, and grace ends up being roughly equivalent to fate. Whatever will be, will be, all for His glory.

Arminianism, following closely the lead of the universal teaching of the early church fathers (prior to Augustine in about 400 AD), affirms synergism, that salvation involves man yielding to God's good and perfect will--so that they may be holy and without blame before Him in love.

In Arminianism, grace is certainly affirmed as including the precedent/prevenient grace of God which has appeared unto all men, teaching us to deny ungodliness and wordly lusts (Titus 2:11-13). In Arminianism, man remains free to reject or accept the grace of God which draws all to Jesus. In Arminianism, God's prevenient grace is not seen as unilateral coercion, as in Calvinism. That said, it is simply not the case that in Arminianism, the sinner ever seeks the Lord apart from the grace of God working upon his conscience, in kindness leading him to repentance.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 2/4/14 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 1:17 pm

Post An age old debate in religious circles Mark Ledbetter
The Sadducees didn't care, this life is all you've got and God doesn't interfere

The Essennes were predestinationist

The Pharisees said God foreordained certain things, events, etc., but man has free will.

Paul's perspective was not either/or but both/and, and is more in line with his Pharisee training.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/4/14 1:22 pm

Post Troy Hamby
Driscoll made a statement "predestination means that your destiny is predetermined by God".

I kind of had some issues with this. If God arbitrarily destines some people to salvation by His will and good pleasure, what about the people that are not saved? Did He destine them to eternal damnation using this same criteria? Is it His will and good pleasure to see people burn and suffer for eternity, not because of what they've done but because of the choice He made.

To me, it's one or the other. Either God controls everything or we have a choice in the matter and that's where I'm torn. My human brain agrees that humans play some part in their own destiny and God hasn't created robots who are already on a predetermined path. On the other hand, scripture seems to point to the opposite...that God has foreknown, elected and predestined those who would be in Christ, not just those who have chosen Him. And maybe I'm torn because I am saved, so I'm part of the chosen...i might think differently if I wasn't part of the 'elect'.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/4/14 1:30 pm

Post bonnie knox
Troy Hamby wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

times are lean, eh?

nah, he actually preaches the Bible and doesn't just prance around making guttural noises and making everyone say "Amen" to every word he says so he feels better about his sermon. I like that.

If those are your choices, times are indeed lean.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/4/14 1:33 pm

Post Troy Hamby
bonnie knox wrote:
Troy Hamby wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

times are lean, eh?

If those are your choices, times are indeed lean.

ok, maybe I'm over exaggerating but I have found myself turned off by Pentecostal/Charismatic preachers for the past few years. Needless to say, I haven't even turned on TBN or any of those stations for the last decade. I like preachers who systematically preach through the Bible and take time to explain/give their interpretations and aren't worried about getting 'amens' from the crowd.

I'm open to suggestions and would like to find some Pentecostal preachers who fit this mold...any suggestions?
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/4/14 1:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.