Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Super Bowl Party but no church service.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Again......I disagree 100000000%!! Purplebarney
We want to criticize other churches, attempt to back our criticism with scripture, and really prove our point that if a church does something out of the ordinary then that church is in the wrong.

Here is my opinion.......nowhere.......NOWHERE in the Bible does it say that we MUST have church on Sunday night and Wednesday night. You are criticizing a church that calls off a Sunday evening service for the Super Bowl when that church has already had at least one service that same day......in the morning. I don't care if a church has had Sunday pm services since 1916 or 1873 or 1792......if they want to do something special for THEIR church (NOT yours) then WHATS THE ISSUE??? I think it's a brilliant idea because let's be honest......a large amount of the congregation......mostly men and male teens.......are NOT attending the Super Bowl Sunday pm service anyways. So the pastor makes a BRILLIANT decision. Instead of those people staying away from church lets get them TO the church to watch the game and have fellowship with the congregation. What a great idea! They aren't sinning. They aren't disobeying God's Word. They aren't doing anything wrong. If you think so then show me scripture that backs it up. I doubt anything in God's Word discourages a pastor from getting men and young male teens to the church on a Sunday pm when they are likely to stay away from church.

I applaud this church. Hey, maybe it WON'T work in your church and that's ok. We aren't talking about YOUR church. Sometimes we need to lose the traditions that sometimes hinder fellowship amongst the church community. THIS is a perfect example of what I mean.

My 3 cents.
Acts-celerater
2/1/14 12:16 pm

Post Re: Think through the "next step" skinnybishop
patrickballington wrote:
Think through the next steps of what you want new people to know and what you want them to do. And there should only be 1 -2 options, not a list of options. Then create specific environments for each step.

That is more than we can go into in this format and needs to be specific to your church and ministry DNA. Sounds like you have what I call and "environment gap" meaning people know how to be friendly at the doors and in the introduction phase but uncertain where to point/direct/accompany the new people to from there. If the next step environment is small groups the. The conversation could easily shift to that and your people should be chatting up small groups and how they are designed to meet their spiritual and relational needs and so forth. If it is a new friends lunch or event then that becomes the next flow of conversation.

If the only goal is to get them into church, you got em,...they're there...after "hello my name is___ glad you're here" there little left for the regular person to talk about unless they are gifted with people skills and hospitality.

I agree, you have to arm them questions to discover more about the person and express genuine interest in them. But those questions also need to be in the right environment. Think about it, you don't ask the checkout clerk "tell me a little about yourself" unless you are hitting on her!

You can't force connection, you can creat environments that facilitate connection.

That's the whole point behind our Super Bowl Party.

(Did you catch what I did there? Got us back on point ) :D

Call me and we can brainstorm ideas and develop a strategy and plan that works for you. I LOVE doing this kind of stuff and benefit from it myself every time I help others.

Would love to talk soon. Thanks again. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to share. I honestly don't think our church is that far "off the mark". But an instrument slightly out of tune ruins the whole band. See you soon.
Acts Enthusiast
2/1/14 12:47 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Shame on all yall fellers what would call off church fer the super bowl. The only way to do it right is have church as usual an preach on the cross just like Jimmy Swaggart preaches it. Anything else is wrong.................PERIOD!!!!!!!!! Acts-pert Poster
2/1/14 1:01 pm

Post Poimen
Good grief! Some folks act as if Jesus and the disciples themselves had two services on Sunday, plus Sunday School, AND mid-week service too! Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/1/14 1:02 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post bonnie knox
Poimen wrote:
Good grief! Some folks act as if Jesus and the disciples themselves had two services on Sunday, plus Sunday School, AND mid-week service too! Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

What's worse is that some people are sure He would have watched the Super Bowl. Shocked Apparently He'd be eating chips and knocking back a Bud, too. And betting on the Broncos. (Peyton Manning is His favorite player.)
Except only the totally smashed drunks will bet against Jesus; the sober are always whining that He has an unfair advantage in knowing the future, which is why the suspense never affects Him when the game is close.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/1/14 1:12 pm

Post [P] [L] Poimen
bonnie knox wrote:
Poimen wrote:

What's worse is that some people are sure He would have watched the Super Bowl. Shocked Apparently He'd be eating chips and knocking back a Bud, too. And betting on the Broncos. (Peyton Manning is His favorite player.)
Except only the totally smashed drunks will bet against Jesus; the sober are always whining that He has an unfair advantage in knowing the future, which is why the suspense never affects Him when the game is close.

The super bowl, is that the soccer game that Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen posed for recently? =P
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19e9vhlx41lx0jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Football season ended with the collegiate championship as far as I'm concerned. Wink

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/1/14 1:26 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Cojak
I don't think the OP was meant to go this direction, but I for one am glad it did. I have learned a lot, and noticed some very good Christian reactions. I love it when a controversial point turns into a learning experience.

Thanks to everyone, I am enjoying the read. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/1/14 2:05 pm

Post Super Bowl? spartanfan
I think we just need to be careful not to criticize each other for having/not having church and/or a Super Bowl party. At different times we are at different places in the life/development of our church and we too are at different places spiritually.

Right now I know too much about the force driving the half time show and the over 100 arrests already for sex trafficking in Ny/Nj in conjunction with the event (many slaves underage children) not to get upset about the whole situation. But that's just me right now. And it's not the "game" but the evil people influencing the culture surrounding the game. I refuse to criticize other ministers and churches that are trying to get some good out of the opportunity to promote fellowship and or salvations. And I don't think we should criticize any pastor or church that wishes to simply ignore the game.

In the end we are all just trying to influence people toward the Kingdom and the Power with the Glory that lasts forever.

So enjoy your Sunday evening - however you feel it's best to do so!

Blessings to you all. Keep working for the Kingdom!
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
2/1/14 2:08 pm

Post Patrick 4golf
No ,the church I pastored did not want to go out and catch any fish! They were happy with the few that were there! That was one of the most powerful sermons the Holy Spirit gave me while I pastored that church. Be Blessed.
2/1/14 3:16 pm

Post Re: Super Bowl Party but no church service. Nick Park
Cojak wrote:
4golf wrote:
I came across a sign of a church that does not have Sunday night service, yet they are advertising a Super Bowl party at the church. To me that seems a little like a hypocrite. They no longer have Sunday night service so they people can spend time with the family and yet they play up this Super Bowl party more than there church service.I know this church and pastor and he is a seeker sensitive preacher and this is right along with his messages, they are filled with so much of the world, I can't tell if he is trying to be preacher or entainer. Some churchs cancel there Sunday night service because the Super bowl!

Seems to be your way or the highway on this subject:

"On this subject"?

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
2/1/14 5:06 pm

Post It's simple Purplebarney
It's a football game. The title game. That's what is important as far as the Super Bowl. You can't make it a spiritual event but at the same time a church may want to cancel one of its regular services so that the people who normally attend that particular service can maybe go to another service. I think the days of expecting families and other church attendees to attend two services on the same day are slowly, actually rapidly phasing out. The evidence is there to prove it. It doesn't make them wrong just like it doesn't make churches with a Sunday night service more Holy in the eyes of God. Acts-celerater
2/1/14 5:10 pm

Post Re: It's simple krista
Purplebarney wrote:
It's a football game. The title game. That's what is important as far as the Super Bowl. You can't make it a spiritual event but at the same time a church may want to cancel one of its regular services so that the people who normally attend that particular service can maybe go to another service. I think the days of expecting families and other church attendees to attend two services on the same day are slowly, actually rapidly phasing out. The evidence is there to prove it. It doesn't make them wrong just like it doesn't make churches with a Sunday night service more Holy in the eyes of God.

What's so sad about it, is that you are right. What is also sad about it is the posters who brag about this terrible trend in the Church. We have finally made the Church to fit our lives. Sad times ahead.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/1/14 5:34 pm

Post Barney 4golf
You are right. The trend for Sunday night services are going away and I read about a trend that is gaining popularity, Churches closing every year! I read this week that a estament that there will be 100,000 churches close in 2014. So it sounds like great wisdom to do away with Sunday night service! The divorce rate is higher in the church than the lost! Sounds like sound wisdom to do away with Sunday night service! 61% of people who go to church say it is ok to have premarital sex! Sounds like good wisdom to do away with Sunday night service! Lets get less and less teaching of the Word of God and just have a Super Bowl party Sunday morning and Wednesday night 365 days a year! I got a better idea lets just do away with going to church altogether! Lets tare out of the Word of God, Hebrews 10:25!
2/1/14 6:51 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Let's not judge either way as righteous or unrighteous.

However, everyone should soberly check themselves for their true motives - whether attending Sunday Night worship - or using the Super Bowl as an "outreach". It seems Israel said they did "holy" things for a certain reason - but God knew what was in their heart.

Quote:
Zechariah 7:4 The Lord of Heaven’s Armies sent me this message in reply: 5 “Say to all your people and your priests, ‘During these seventy years of exile, when you fasted and mourned in the summer and in early autumn, was it really for me that you were fasting? 6 And even now in your holy festivals, aren’t you eating and drinking just to please yourselves? (NLT)

2/1/14 8:27 pm

Post Re: Super Bowl Party but no church service. bradfreeman
Nick Park wrote:
Cojak wrote:
4golf wrote:
I came across a sign of a church that does not have Sunday night service, yet they are advertising a Super Bowl party at the church. To me that seems a little like a hypocrite. They no longer have Sunday night service so they people can spend time with the family and yet they play up this Super Bowl party more than there church service.I know this church and pastor and he is a seeker sensitive preacher and this is right along with his messages, they are filled with so much of the world, I can't tell if he is trying to be preacher or entainer. Some churchs cancel there Sunday night service because the Super bowl!

Seems to be your way or the highway on this subject:

"On this subject"?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/1/14 8:56 pm

Post Tom 4golf
No Tom, no where in the New Testament does it say to have Sunday night service, just like no where in the New Testament does it say have Sunday morning service, or Wednesday night service. Like I quoted in the other post, the Word of God tells us to not to forsake the assembling of the brethren. Apostle Paul tolf Timmothy to teach sound doctrine. The majority of people who go to church won't get that at home. I am sure you are aware just as I am that ,less than 10% of the people who go to church have read through the bible not even one time. I am sure you are aware as I am that the majority of people never even open their bible during the week! I know when I started out Sunday night was where you got the meat Word of God! Now it has become pouplar to do away do away with Sunday night service and I believe we are seeing the cost of that as stats I listed earlier in the last post and in this one.
2/1/14 10:14 pm

Post Re: Tom Old Time Country Preacher
4golf wrote:
No where in the New Testament does it say to have Sunday night service, just like no where in the New Testament does it say have Sunday morning service, or Wednesday night service.

Incorrect, 4G, son, its air alright, ya just gotta read tween the lines. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
2/1/14 11:22 pm

Post Think of this otium sanctum
Everyone that is going to have the Super Bowl at church, this year will also have a Gay marriage in their church. It will be in the half time but if it is on it will be in their church. Just like immodesty was in their church during the half time show several years ago. How can we possibly endorse a program that promotes the perversion of marriage and think that will please God? I believe that the motives of those who have had Super Bowl nights at church were good, but with this evil being promoted in every venue, it is time for the church to withdraw and use other means of winning the lost. Imho you cannot watch the Super Bowl without approving of same-sex marriage. Friendly Face
2/1/14 11:34 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Can you share a link about the same-sex marriage during halftime please? I have heard this since the Grammys but have not found anything to suggest it is actually true. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/2/14 7:54 am

Post bigchurchmouse
There are some people who are not able to attend Sunday morning services because of work commitments. They depend on the evening service for strength and fellowship. I am thankful for a church that still has Sun. night services and for a pastor who does not seem to mind preaching a second time on Sun. I remember a time when pastors looked for every opportunity possible to proclaim God's word. What has changed?

We often have visitors in our evening services and a great altar services. People are more relaxed and do not seem hindered by the clock. Think of all of the people who have been converted in a Sunday evening service.

Our church has regular service on Super Bowl Sunday but one of the couples hosts a SB party in their home for those who want it. They urge men to invite friends who do not attend church. Works well for us.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/2/14 8:10 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.