Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What does minister do? Wife says no more pastoring.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Faithful Friend
Any situation where the wife decides she cannot continue with her husband in whatever position he is in is very sad and troubling. The husband must be understanding and a faithful leader of the home. A pastor must answer to God as to his care for his wife and family and also to the calling to the ministry. As a pastor's wife, she has probably faced situations and requirements that she feels she cannot fulfill. It is wrong for any church to expect the pastor's wife be "the assistant pastor" if she does not have the "call" or desire to have that responsibility.

This situation may be too far gone to accept help or any advice from an outsider. But I think any woman whose husband is a pastor should find an outlet outside the church's activities which she can enjoy and feel free from the many burdens sometimes placed upon her. Find a hobby. Take classes. Set aside times for fun with your husband. Plan fun activities with your children. Get away from the "parsonage" on occasion and "do your own thing" as long as it is pleasing to God.

My heart goes out to this pastor's wife. She and her husband need our prayers.
Friendly Face
1/14/14 9:01 am

Post Randy Johnson
Your first congregation is your family. Charity still begins at home. My wife has been on the administrative board of a Pastor's Wives list on Yahoo since the late 1990s. There is a cross-section of denominations represented on this. Being a part of the list opened her eyes to a lot of common problems pastors' wives face, especially when their husbands' egos are being stroked by their position of authority and influence in ministry.

Many of these wives get dumped on by their husbands as well as their congregations and have no relief, and their husbands are insensitive to their needs and demanding of them to keep them looking good in front of their churches. And this is true in all kinds of denominations from the Salvation Army to the CMA to Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian and Pentecostal. It seems human nature and the male ego doesn't change much, no matter what denominational label you hang over the door.
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/14/14 9:55 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Choosing to not "do" ministry in a particular manner (pastoral ministry) because your spouse feels they cannot do it is not choosing "against God." She is not asking your curse God and reject your faith. She is saying she cannot do pastoral ministry.

I realize that. I am saying that not all of these scenarios fit into the same neat black-and-white category. The cases I am referring to were as I described; an ultimatum to choose either God's calling or the wife's demands. It was not simply a question of the wife feeling burned out or overwhelmed and needing a change of pace or a change in type of ministry. She rebelled against God first, and then tried to manipulate her husband to follow her in rebellion against God. And to hear some tell it, the husband should have just bowed to the wife's demands, no matter how unreasonable and ungodly.

I understood you to be commenting on the original post. My bad. Sorry about that brother...

No offense taken whatsoever.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/14 9:59 am

Post What does minister do? Wife says no more pastoring.more info Texicanii
More info. Before they were married she said she prayed about being a pastor's wife and the Lord told her to make the choice before they were married.
They took 2 years off from pastoring to rest from the stress of it. They then took another church. It ws a small church to begin with but began to grow.
They resigned that church because of the wife.
now she says no more pastoring.
Friendly Face
1/14/14 2:45 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Very sorry to hear that, Texican. I don't believe there is a pat answer that will be best for every situation. Obviously, they have to both really seek the Lord as to their next step in life. If they had a trusted mentor they could work through this with, something like that would be ideal. Second to that, a good Christian counselor or Christian psychologist could be helpful.

Will be praying for this couple.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 1/14/14 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/14 2:52 pm

Post Let me throw a brick into the pond with this .. Rafael D Martinez
The common assumption among ministers is that once you are called to ministry, you are bound to never back from pursuing it. I have always believed that and still do today but not for the reason that I hear so readily cited .. one that may be in the back of this pastor's mind.

How many of us in the ministry have been admonished to remember in times of wavering that "the gifts and calling of God are without repentance", a quote from Romans 11:29, and that God's call on our lives requires our best and for us never to give up. We're to press doggedly on in ministry despite however low in life we get, or no matter how tough the opposition - ministers are to keep burning with zealous focus upon their call and to keep pushing onward.

That verse, however, points us to Paul's startling teaching on the election of Israel in contrasted with God's great dispensation of grace he bestowed upon the Gentiles .. and the verse has nothing to do with the Christian ministry.

How many of you have heard that? Felt twinges of guilt from its supposed application to your situation? I've heard it again and again all my ministerial life but I've never felt that bite.

I hope it's not bitten you.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
1/14/14 6:19 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I agree Romans 11:29, in context, does not refer specifically to ministerial calling.

That said, I do believe that no man, having put his hand to the plow and looking backwards, is fit for the kingdom, and that being cast into outer darkness awaits a servant of the Lord who willfully persists in disobedience to the known will of God (sin), and that the servant of the Lord must not turn back to the world, the flesh, and the Devil, lest having preached to others, he himself might become a castaway.

We must run the race with patience that is set before us if we are to wear the victor's crown.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/14/14 6:56 pm

Post Rafael D Martinez
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I agree Romans 11:29, in context, does not refer specifically to ministerial calling.

That said, I do believe that no man, having put his hand to the plow and looking backwards, is fit for the kingdom, and that being cast into outer darkness awaits a servant of the Lord who willfully persists in disobedience to the known will of God (sin), and that the servant of the Lord must not turn back to the world, the flesh, and the Devil, lest having preached to others, he himself might become a castaway.

We must run the race with patience that is set before us if we are to wear the victor's crown.

Well, I agree on that, QW .. I agree that if a minister flat out apostasizes and abandons the Christian faith when under temptation and attack that he may face a sad day in the judgment but my question seeks some discussion on just the kind of rationale you suggest here.

Is it fair or legitimate to suggest that a servant of the Lord who finds himself in the tragic situation the OP raised with his wife wanting him to abandon the ministry for the sake of their marriage could be seen as turning back to the world for possibly doing so?

Shouldn't a minister be still reckoned no less a Christian AND a servant of the Lord if he must turn aside to address the struggle in his home and reestablish the proper order there if through no fault of his own, there was a breakdown?

I don't see in anywhere in Scripture that ministers who suffer such terrible things are any LESS ministers at all. Their pastoral focus may have to change or cease, but because it does, should it make them suspect?

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
1/15/14 9:49 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
For those who believe obedience is in fact optional for the Christian, I suppose the point is moot.

Then there is the very real possibility that some may have missed the will of God by pursuing vocational ministry to begin with.

As to the OP, I don't have enough info to really make a judgement in that case.

Obviously, everyone must find peace with God and their own conscience with regard to their choices in life. I personally don't have enough info to be able to say who is and who isn't called and who is or isn't obedient in their heart to their own specific calling from God. I'm just saying obedience to the known will of God must never be seen as an optional thing for the follower of Jesus, especially not in the long run. Eventually, we must get back up and finish the race.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/14 10:29 am

Post Link
You could look at this as rebelling against God's call to please your wife.

But if we consider the requirements for overseers in I Timothy 3 and Titus 1, he has to rule his own house well. If his wife isn't supportive of him pastoring, it may make sense for him to step back from that ministry for a while, work on the home life, and then resume if things are in order at home. It doesn't have to be a case of doing what your wife says versus doing what God says. Someone could step out of the pastorate for a God-honoring reason.
1/15/14 4:26 pm

Post Bro Bob
I feel for her. I feel for my own pastor's wife. She is a wonderful woman who is carrying more load than she ought to have to bear. Never heard her complain even once. God bless you Sis. Pam.

There is no telling what the woman in this instance is coping with. And it is the job of her husband to tend to whatever her needs are.

But...

Quote:
Before they were married she said she prayed about being a pastor's wife and the Lord told her to make the choice before they were married.

We presume the minister is a follower of Christ.

We presume his wife is a follower of Christ.

We presume the minister heard from God a calling into pastoral ministry.

He told his wife this prior to marriage. She prayed about it. The sentence in quotes shows she was against it from the start, else, why would God tell her to make her choice before the marriage? By her own testimony, she is being disobedient to what God told her, is coercing her husband to be disobedient to what God told him, and is placing herself at the head of this family. If this minister allows it, then as Link said, he is failing at ruling his own house well, and has disqualified himself, which makes the whole thing moot.

If he gives in, who is being served here? Who delights in the outcome? If he gives in on something this profound, then how can she ever respect him as a man, much less as a Christian with a vocational calling from God... the same God that told her to make her choice BEFORE the marriage?

Quote:
Genesis 3:14-19 (KJV)

14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

In case you are prone to dismiss the Adam story, want to talk about Samson?

When your choice is to obey God or obey your wife...
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/15/14 6:26 pm

Post Link
I'm thinking about Bro Bob's post, and I know this is stirring the pot.

But this is a reason to have a submissive wife. In the scenario he describes, if she is submissive and knows her role as her husband's wife, she will be his helpmeet. And she wouldn't try to give him an ultimatum. He may also be on to something about a wife having difficulty respecting a man who backs down when she's wrong, too. Some male bloggers would agree with that, and I've read online where women agree with that as well. If he can't stand his ground with her, how's he going to defend her from lions, tigers, bears, and other men. That's another topic, though.

But this type of thing doesn't have to be an issue about obvious and outright rebellion. It could also be an issue of a man not making enough time for his wife and family-- not ruling his own house well. If his wife is depressed because of what he's taking her through, and he could do a better job with the relationship, what is he going to bring his congregation too. They might get depressed from the way he leads, too.

To get into the role, a man is supposed to rule his house well. What if he stops ruling his house well once he's in the role. Can he keep on while doing a poor job and home, or should he step back, get his own house in order, and then go back into the church.

I've read about a "call" to pastor in this thread. I've done a word study on being 'called.' Paul talks a lot about being called to be an apostle. We are called to be conformed to the image of Christ. But never have I found where the Bible talks about a call to pastor, or a call to be a church overseer. It doesn't talk about a call to be a deacon, either.

I believe God can tell people to do stuff, all kinds of things. He may call for a lot of things that we don't see a specific example of in scripture. But I think most Pentecostals and a lot of Baptists and Methodists cause damage the church by emphasizing a 'call' to pastor' instead of what the Bible actually teaches. The Bible teaches that the overseer has to meet up to a list of qualifications. The list, with very minor differences is in there twice as qualifications, with another vaguely similar list in I Peter 5 listed as descriptive duties. If the Bible says it twice, isn't it important?

What confuses the matter is the historical relabeling of the role as 'pastor'. In the Bible, the apostles appointed elders (or older men) in the church. The Bible uses the term 'overseer' for the one who would be appointed to the role. Paul and Peter command elders to 'pastor' the flock of God (Acts 20:28, I Peter 5. Look up feed or tend in Greek.) But for most of history, these men were known as 'elders' or some word derived from the Greek 'presbuteros' or translated from it. But in English and German, the used the same word to refer to Old Testament descendents of Aaron, creating confusion. The Reformed movement renamed these church leaders as 'pastors' and created a city government position called 'elders.' The Presbyterians copied Geneva as a model, and so we get the senior pastor and nonpastoral board elders. We also get a lot of confusion reading the Bible from all this.

If a man and his wife are really not in unity and it causes strife, discord, or other really bad stuff in the home, I think it's wise to step down, get his own home in order, then go back into the ministry. The Bible says if a man cannot rule his own home, how can he rule the church of God. Do we want discord, rebellion, depression, or other major problems in the home to be amplified into the church? Isn't it foolish to expect that if a man's leadership leads to chaos and strife in the small family that is closest to him, that he isn't likely to see the same in the larger spiritual family he ministers to?
1/16/14 3:59 am

Post Ever walk in his shoes? pastordude
I have. I saw the politics, and the attacks from other pastors, DO, and even state office destory my wife. Oh, the attacks were aimed at me, but it took a toll on my wife's health. Leaving pastoral ministry was a trmendous life change for me, but I would do it again in a heart beat. My faith is strong, and her health too. In response the question at hand, I say, listen to your wife, she may have more wisdom than you are giving her credit for.
1/16/14 2:37 pm

Post Re: Ever walk in his shoes? wayne
pastordude wrote:
I have. I saw the politics, and the attacks from other pastors, DO, and even state office destory my wife. Oh, the attacks were aimed at me, but it took a toll on my wife's health. Leaving pastoral ministry was a trmendous life change for me, but I would do it again in a heart beat. My faith is strong, and her health too. In response the question at hand, I say, listen to your wife, she may have more wisdom than you are giving her credit for.

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
Acts Enthusiast
1/16/14 3:23 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have in fact walked in his shoes. I have known others who have as well. The cross we must bear may come in many different forms, but it remains a cross even still, though the burden (even unto virtual emotional death) is never greater than His grace.

It seems to me that the only faithful course of action is to do all one can by God's grace to work out one's marital problems, but also know that not all marriages are salvageable, unfortunately. It is also important to note that leaving the ministry still may not save or improve the marriage.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/16/14 3:43 pm

Post georgiapath
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I have in fact walked in his shoes. I have known others who have as well. The cross we must bear may come in many different forms, but it remains a cross even still, though the burden (even unto virtual emotional death) is never greater than His grace.

It seems to me that the only faithful course of action is to do all one can by God's grace to work out one's marital problems, but also know that not all marriages are salvageable, unfortunately. It is also important to note that leaving the ministry still may not save or improve the marriage.

I think you're right.
Acts-dicted
1/17/14 8:30 am

Post Re: Pastoring is tough... Cojak
wayne wrote:
...at times. It can be very hard on the wife and children. I have made a very conscious effort to pay close attention to my wife and children through our pastorate. I refuse to expect too much out of them because I know they already feel that pressure. I purposefully make time for them - even to go get pancakes at 3 in the morning.(I know that's not good for a heart patient) I do this to make sure they know husband/dad is available.
If my wife came to me and said she didn't want to pastor anymore, I'd ask for time away from church/pastorate, take a vacation, seek counseling and then if she still wanted to quit pastoring - I would quit.
I chose her, I chose to love her, I chose to protect her, I chose her until we die. "let no one split apart what God has joined together." Mark 10:9

I think this is a good route.... but no one can make a decision like this for another. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/24/14 11:00 pm

Post Some more thoughts... Aaron Scott
If God placed them there to pastor, then something it out of alignment.

Perhaps they are to pastor...but not there. Or not now. Or not for a while.

Perhaps the way that they are pastoring, while well-intentioned, may be wrong. Perhaps they are pouring too much into the church, but too little into their marriage? Or perhaps they are tolerating things in the church that need to be confronted and ejected?

Perhaps the wife is carrying a load not meant for her. Some of the best pastor's wives I've ever known, including my mother, were not up-fronters. They gently assist, pray for, and support the church in many different ways, but they do not feel led to be the women's president, or head up the annual bake sale, or do this or do that. Some churches have those expectations of a pastor's wife. If that's her thing, great. If not, it might cause undue pressures.

There are thousand little things that could be going wrong, not the least of which is that the wife may have grown a bit distant from the Lord. Perhaps too busy being Martha to be Mary? Or perhaps just beaten up by a difficult situation. In any case, when that happens, and when you are fatigued, faith can seem hard to come by. Maybe she needs a breather--release from ALL responsibilities for the time being. Who knows?

But the KEY is that if they are where God wants them, something must be out of alignment.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/25/14 7:43 am

Post Aaron brings up a good point... Cojak
Southern churches especially EXPECT much more of the pastors wife. I have a friend who was never able to pastor comfortably in NC. He moved to Connecticut and had a great pastorate period, he remained there until age sent him back South.

It was explained to me that in that area the pastor's wife was basically just a church member without the pressures felt down South. His wife was NOT a Mixer and had very little personality, but it had not mattered in the area he was pastoring, what mattered was his anointing and heart for his people.

The church's expectations of the wife have caused many a pastors wife to be under an extreme load. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/25/14 10:07 am

Post Re: Aaron brings up a good point... georgiapath
Cojak wrote:
Southern churches especially EXPECT much more of the pastors wife. I have a friend who was never able to pastor comfortably in NC. He moved to Connecticut and had a great pastorate period, he remained there until age sent him back South.

It was explained to me that in that area the pastor's wife was basically just a church member without the pressures felt down South. His wife was NOT a Mixer and had very little personality, but it had not mattered in the area he was pastoring, what mattered was his anointing and heart for his people.

The church's expectations of the wife have caused many a pastors wife to be under an extreme load. Shocked

A lot of times thay are proudly called lead pastors, don't know if she gets a salary too or not.
Acts-dicted
1/25/14 5:21 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.